Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
the horrible truth about sm58 and sm57 is that they're basically the same mic, the only difference being the grille design

both are cool though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

nurmie posted:

the horrible truth about sm58 and sm57 is that they're basically the same mic, the only difference being the grille design

both are cool though

yep lol. i haven't actually used mine for ages but it makes a cello sound really nice if you get it close.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

sebmojo posted:

yep lol. i haven't actually used mine for ages but it makes a cello sound really nice if you get it close.

I need to buy one for my JC 40 at some point but I haven’t had the scratch/always forget when I do.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love how it’s been well over a year of remote interviews and people still manage to use the worst mic and camera setups possible.

Like professionals!

I dunno how much that mic is but drat spend money people!

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

I love how it’s been well over a year of remote interviews and people still manage to use the worst mic and camera setups possible.

Like professionals!

Like 100 bucks, but you can probably get them at a used music store cheaper because everyone uses them.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

nurmie posted:

both are cool though

Yeah the sm58 grill keeps vocal spit out with the foam insert, and when the singer inevitably drops it, the grill acts as a car's crumple zone/bumper does.

57 for instruments, 58 for vocals, that was our rule of thumb when I was a soundchick.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Like professionals!

lol gently caress off

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol gently caress off

That seems pretty aggressive friend.

You should probably buy a better mic next time you do an interview on TV.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

sebmojo posted:

the working man has horny strong hands that can grip the smooth contours of the Shure sm57 cardioid dynamic mic perfectly well, the 58 is for big city types that work in fancy offices or w/e i mean look at this guy, sexy af

58-beta is the new generic king imo

I get to renovate the AV in a old auditorium at a university and I’m buying some of each and some nice flat earthworks for house audio and inside piano mics. Fun poo poo

funmanguy has a new favorite as of 04:28 on Oct 8, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Also the Behringer SL 75C is almost identical to the SM57 at a quarter of the price. Get yourself an inexpensive preamp (preferably one that has a couple EQ knobs) and an SL75C and a cheap boom and pop filter off amazon and boom, instant radio voice.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Also the Behringer SL 75C is almost identical to the SM57 at a quarter of the price. Get yourself an inexpensive preamp (preferably one that has a couple EQ knobs) and an SL75C and a cheap boom and pop filter off amazon and boom, instant radio voice.

Sounds like a ton of work when my laptop has a mic built in

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Yeah the sm58 grill keeps vocal spit out with the foam insert, and when the singer inevitably drops it, the grill acts as a car's crumple zone/bumper does.

57 for instruments, 58 for vocals, that was our rule of thumb when I was a soundchick.

sm58s that look like they've been in a car crash somehow usually end up being the most reliable and best-sounding ones lol

some kind of survival-of-the-fittest thing or something, i guess

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

when in doubt, slap a 57 on it.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Just use this but for a laptop

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

sm7b + cloudlifter in studio for vocals :cabot:

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

pog boyfriend posted:

how good is sm7b for vocals/acoustic instruments, actually? i've been thinking about getting one but the price feels kinda steep :ohdear:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

sm57 is probably the best affordable multipurpose mic in the world. a few of them + good room sound is all you need

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

nurmie posted:

how good is sm7b for vocals/acoustic instruments, actually? i've been thinking about getting one but the price feels kinda steep :ohdear:

there's a reason they're the standard, plus they're indestructible to boot. just spend the money and get one and you never have to get another one ever again unless someone steals it (as happened to me)

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Sagas thread having a completely normal one

Like actually I mean

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

You've seen your last "stuck post," but you didn't realize it was your last one

astral posted:

we can pretty conclusively say that the implemented-a-few-months-back fix for the years-outstanding "there is a 'stuck' post that needs a new post to 'free' it" issue was successful. The problem turned out to be that the relevant cache was being cleared before the database itself was updated, creating a race condition where, if someone opened the thread between the time the cache was cleared and the database was updated, it would load the old data into the cache and you would not see the new post. The fix was merely to adjust the order of operations. Now, the only time you should ever see a 'stuck' post is if Jeffrey or I accidentally make a post while force-disabling the cache (meaning said cache does not get updated to show the new post).

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
im thankful for astral

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Like actually I mean

sometimes you just need a friendly chat about stuff to offset the constant bloodlust on display here

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Like actually I mean

can't be abnormal in the thread for discussing the abnormal

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

MarcusSA posted:

Like professionals!

I think it's probably in part because everyone started a podcast last year and prices have gone up on a lot of electronics.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the department who teach media production tried showing us a video on how much of a difference a proper mic had over our laptop mic when we went into lockdown, but no way in hell was I going to spend money on all of that stuff when the pupils could hear me just fine without

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

PiCroft posted:

Much appreciated! It’s such a shame, I wish there was the equivalent of lparchive for goldmine threads so we don’t lose so much of the content.

RFC2324 posted:

Serious question about that: does the LoC archive have the pics?
During the troubles while liferaft rules were in effect, there was a thread attempting to get archives of as much as possible.

The thread includes a bunch of tools for archiving stuff from SA, including grabbing the images - there's one tool in particular made by fletcher that's incredibly good, as it archives the complete threads as a whole page, with inlining of all the images that can be saved.

So if someone wanted to go make a full and complete archive of SA, including all of the restored images from the WaffleImages archive, the building blocks for it are there.
I imagine it'd require a lot of diskspace, though - and that's saying something, from the sad sack who has the most posts in the digital packrats thread over in SHSC :v:

sweet geek swag posted:

Just an update, I got my Little Caesars today, and it was pretty decent.
Finally, after reading through the entire thread in the last few days, a good homegrown saga from this thread. :allears:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

You've seen your last "stuck post," but you didn't realize it was your last one

I'm just glad that this is a less problematic kind of hardcoded race condition

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

pog boyfriend posted:

i obught a nt1a roughly 10 years ago an d still use it for vocals bcos of how weirdly good it sounds for how cheap it is

nurmie posted:

both are cool though

the 58 orb makes it better for cupping live imo.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Stux posted:

the 58 orb makes it better for cupping live imo.

:chloe:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

pentyne posted:

just remembering one of the absolute biggest self-own permabans short of that guy in the To Catch a Predator thread

Are they talking about the singer Peaches most famous for that “titties” song they used on Letterkenny and the Netflix show Sex Education?

Would not have guessed she was a Chud.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Frank Frank posted:

Are they talking about the singer Peaches most famous for that “titties” song they used on Letterkenny and the Netflix show Sex Education?

Nah she’d be too old to fit into that timeline, she’s in her 50s by now.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Frank Frank posted:

For the singer peaches to have been sucking/loving on instagram at age 15, instagram would have had to exist in 1981

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Good because that song still makes me laugh.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Frank Frank posted:

Peaches (the singer) was 15 in 1981

E: beaten hard lol

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

It is very funny to me that Little Caesars was not able to use their "pizza! pizza!" slogan in Canada, since a business by that name already existed, so they went with the perfectly logical and just as catchy phrase, "two pizzas!"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
II PIZZAE

e.

PIZZA PIZZAQUE

Empty Sandwich has a new favorite as of 13:07 on Oct 8, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Pastry of the Year posted:

It is very funny to me that Little Caesars was not able to use their "pizza! pizza!" slogan in Canada, since a business by that name already existed, so they went with the perfectly logical and just as catchy phrase, "two pizzas!"

two pizzas are better than one

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

TheMightyBoops posted:

There’s a Midwestern (maybe it’s everywhere) chain of pizza places called Marcos that are commonly connected to Family Video’s out here and it’s legit the best pizza in my town. The family video here closed down at the start of the pandemic though, so when you go pick up a pizza it’s this tiny walk in pizza place connected to a giant empty Family Video.

This is correct, it costs a negligible amount more than pizza hut or domino's, but you can customize the hell out of sauce, toppings, crust options/seasonings and bake time.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Pastry of the Year posted:

You know what I'd do if I had a million dollars? Two pizzas at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Spanish Manlove posted:

You know what I'd do if I had a million dollars? Two pizzas at the same time.

And pizza places love a goon who has money. Well, not all pizza places, but the ones that'll sell a lone goon two extra large pizzas--they do.