Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Youre going about this wrong. It isn't for you, it's for annoying the rest of your group. :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Ahhhhhhh. :getin:

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/q2x2bt/new_promo_ship_kirk_class/

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

They finally made a Connie people won't like.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I dunno, people seem to love the Vengeance and it's basically that but even moreso.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Asimo posted:

I dunno, people seem to love the Vengeance and it's basically that but even moreso.

True...I have too much faith in people. :negative:

The Vengeance is a perfect evil ship, it's ugly and boxy and the opposite of everything the Enterprise it. It's a perfect horrible disaster. I don't understand people who think it looks cool, even before the stupid gaping hole in the saucer.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I hate trek fans so much

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hooray, another ugly piece of poo poo from Discovery I'll feel no temptation to get.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Hooray, another ugly piece of poo poo from Discovery I'll feel no temptation to get.

Hey well there's always a chance they'll come up with a 2410 skin/variant that makes it almost look like something.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The real question is whether it's going to be compatible with normal connies for kit bashing.

Because that thing's ugly as backwoods sin, but there are some loving possibilities there if you can slap those bits and bobs on a normal ship.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, they explicitly mention it's much bigger than a Connie onscreen, it's just part of the Connie design lineage.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Looks like they forgot to unwrap it.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Maybe a dumb question, but is there any memory alpha/memory beta lore on the overall meta ship designs of the early TNG era? Like who was doing all the designs that resulted in the Galaxy/Nebula (and now I guess the New Orleans, Cheyenne, and California) all have similar design elements/components? Like if it was part of any sort of particular Starfleet Engineering effort in the 2350s/2360s?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The tech manuals say that the Galaxy was the end result of a 20-year design effort. It seems fairly clear onscreen that Starfleet basically developed a new technology platform and system base that was introduced with the Galaxy generation: they switched from movie-style computers to LCARS, and all of the rest of their tech changed in style between pre-LCARS ships and post-LCARS ships. It also looks based on onscreen stuff that while advances in technology mean that there's been a new generation of ships that are aesthetically quite different to the Galaxy stuff, the actual systems design and technology integration is all an iteration on that same stuff that was introduced in the Galaxy generation. So I'd assume there was definitely some kind of massive next-gen development project prior to TNG - the 20 year design plan probably encompassed the whole thing of 'reexamining and redesigning how we build ships from the ground up' that created the new tech base which would serve them for the next several decades and eventually culminated in the Galaxy as the most complex product of it.

There are references in the tech manual to organisations like the Advanced Starship Design Bureau, which seems to have been the organisation in charge of that project.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 7, 2021

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
All ruined by one little Jem Hadar ship.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

JJ was a mistake.

Kurtzman is a monster.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

MikeJF posted:

The tech manuals say that the Galaxy was the end result of a 20-year design effort. It seems fairly clear onscreen that Starfleet basically developed a new technology platform and system base that was introduced with the Galaxy generation: they switched from movie-style computers to LCARS, and all of the rest of their tech changed in style between pre-LCARS ships and post-LCARS ships. It also looks based on onscreen stuff that while advances in technology mean that there's been a new generation of ships that are aesthetically quite different to the Galaxy stuff, the actual systems design and technology integration is all an iteration on that same stuff that was introduced in the Galaxy generation. So I'd assume there was definitely some kind of massive next-gen development project prior to TNG - the 20 year design plan probably encompassed the whole thing of 'reexamining and redesigning how we build ships from the ground up' that created the new tech base which would serve them for the next several decades and eventually culminated in the Galaxy as the most complex product of it.

There are references in the tech manual to organisations like the Advanced Starship Design Bureau, which seems to have been the organisation in charge of that project.

Thanks- exactly what I was looking for

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
Stream summary

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/q34cmo/ten_forward_weekly_10621/

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

tl;dr:

Halloween TFO the most complicated and puzzle-based in STO history, with legit boss mechanics and multiple paths

Plans to make 32nd century ships not all lockboxes

To make the Kirk class, Cryptic got the actual model from the show and shaved off polygons to get the game's version

Kirk class info:

quote:

Trait "Risk is our Business": When activating captain abilities 2,623 temp hp for 10 sec per fore within 5km(max 10) and add threat if in threatening stance

Console "Field-Replicated Buster Pods": minimum +19 all damage resist when shields at 100%. Scaled up to +57 when shields at 0%

Launches 5 buster pods, will chose a random foe after launch. 6,915.9 kinetic damage(50% shield pen) in a 10KM cylinder toward and through target. 3,146.7 kinetic damage(50% shield pen) within 2km of detonation point. 2 min recharge

Art team doesn't like doing cel-shaded stuff ala Lower Decks, so probably not going to happen

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Specifically, they might someday do a cell-shaded mission, but they aren't going to have cell-shading mix with the regular art.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Annoying that CBS wants all Lower Decks stuff to retain that animated look. Like I actually liked when STO actually did the LD crew in STO's style for the DOFF cards before CBS made em just switch to animated stills.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Man if their art team hates working with current Star Trek animation I can't wait to see how they deal with Prodigy and that interesting new take on Tellarites.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
Some very "meh" stuff added to Mudd's:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11499033-qulash-and-the-kidd%2C-live-at-mudd%27s-market%21

But more importantly, the entire market is going to be 75% off. So anybody that didn't pick up that Into Darkness bundle a few months back for it's meager 50% sale is about to get a very good deal.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

greasythepirate posted:

Some very "meh" stuff added to Mudd's:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11499033-qulash-and-the-kidd%2C-live-at-mudd%27s-market%21

But more importantly, the entire market is going to be 75% off. So anybody that didn't pick up that Into Darkness bundle a few months back for it's meager 50% sale is about to get a very good deal.
It's only a console sale for now, the PC sale dates haven't been announced yet. And according to console players on reddit, the Mudd's sale does not include the Into Darkness bundle.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

g0del posted:

It's only a console sale for now, the PC sale dates haven't been announced yet. And according to console players on reddit, the Mudd's sale does not include the Into Darkness bundle.

loving lol incredible failure all around.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Eimi posted:

Powerful thread title energy

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

It's not surprising, of course. The big Mudd's bundles have literally only had a 75% sale once ever, for a couple of days last holiday season. Every other time there's been a 75% sale on Mudd's store the big bundles have been excluded.

What's slightly more concerning is that they're not on sale on PC, and the key sale that got announced last week never ended up happening. I wonder if they managed to break their ability to have sales on PC.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Halloween TFO sounds like a nightmare according to the livestream. Mechanics, puzzles, and alternate paths? With STO pubbies? Even if it's not a buggy mess I can't see that going well. Good thing they didn't tie any useful rewards to this.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
God drat double upgrade weekend plus phoenix upgrades makes me feel like a god. Just mash the button until it's gold.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

wdarkk posted:

God drat double upgrade weekend plus phoenix upgrades makes me feel like a god. Just mash the button until it's gold.

You're not wrong. Took a pile of stuff I had at 12/13 vr/ur up to gilded/15 to take my equipment from 4 year old meta (iconian/crafted ap dbbs) to a more current phaser faw miracle worker build using set/rep weapons. Now I'm all set for the last campaign event, getting the inquiry and finally moving back to the arbiter line build I've used forever. That ship should never have been in a gamblebox. :(

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11499273-the-kirk-class-takes-command

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

5/3 cruiser with temporal and command seating, and temporal ship attributes. It's fine. Nothing special, but fine.

It's an R&D promo box ship, so only whales are going to have it.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

How one can acquire the pizza slicer Enterprise-J? Its stupid enough that I might want to go for one for my temporal agent as my endgame to end all endgames.

I have been running that alt with the Yamato I bough earlier as my first account T6, and it seems that he is overtaking my "main" soonish because of the stupidly good bonuses and dreadnought cruiser is actually much more fun to play than a full carrier I lucked into with Phoenix boxes when farming upgrade kits.

Temporal even gives a free T6-X upgrade, a thing I never thought was worth actual money.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

If you've been doing the mega event campaign one of the possible prizes would be the Ent-J, otherwise a shitload of EC.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

wdarkk posted:

Absolutely, I finally made my ship as shiny as I can (until I can find more gold device slot fillers).

I really like the Medical vanity shield, it looks great on every Fed ship.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Eimi posted:

If you've been doing the mega event campaign one of the possible prizes would be the Ent-J, otherwise a shitload of EC.

It is that "one prestige T6 token" one right? Because I did not find it on the normal ship selection at the Zen store.

I have been doing that mega campaign, although I will need to buy out the Tholian one since I have only 1950 so far, if I calculated correctly. I was actually going to take the lobi, and wait for discounts to get some other stuff in addition of a ship.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I had like 400~ from opening up phoenix boxes because I want that Bajoran interceptor and I make bad decisions. I gilded so much this time. Though now I'm debating buying some herald AP beams to gild those before the weekend ends.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

AfroSquirrel posted:

Absolutely, I finally made my ship as shiny as I can (until I can find more gold device slot fillers).

I wish I'd been active when the Kobayashi Maru event was running and I wish I'd realized that they'd given up on the whole 'adding old event stuff to phoenix boxes' bit in favor of trying to make cold hard cash. :/

Eimi posted:

I had like 400~ from opening up phoenix boxes because I want that Bajoran interceptor and I make bad decisions. I gilded so much this time. Though now I'm debating buying some herald AP beams to gild those before the weekend ends.

DOMINO is pretty great, prolly worth it to try. What else were you gonna use that dil for, after all?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Roseo posted:

I wish I'd been active when the Kobayashi Maru event was running and I wish I'd realized that they'd given up on the whole 'adding old event stuff to phoenix boxes' bit in favor of trying to make cold hard cash. :/

DOMINO is pretty great, prolly worth it to try. What else were you gonna use that dil for, after all?

Yeah I missed the Maru too, but they haven't even added the thing to Mudd's to rip us off yet either.

As for DOMINO, the irony is I got an epic token, I got the Plesh Breen because I wanted Cold-hearted since A2B cruiser is what I fly. Little did I know they'd add The Boimler Effect meaning there's finally another build beyond A2B. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Der Kyhe posted:

It is that "one prestige T6 token" one right? Because I did not find it on the normal ship selection at the Zen store.
Yes. The Ent-J is a promo ship, so your options are:
  • Gamble for it. The odds are horrendous, and people have lost hundreds and hundreds of dollars chasing promo ships without winning one.
  • Purchase it from a luckier (or richer) player. They sometimes show up on the exchange for 1.5B ec, but more usually get traded directly between players in chat channels for closer to 1.7B ec. You can always buy promo packs with zen and sell them for ec to get it - which usually ends up cheaper than gambling for it. Still expensive, though.
  • Use the prestige token from this years' meta event.
  • edit: Wait and hope that it shows up in a Mudd's bundle sometime.

g0del fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 8, 2021