Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Omnomnomnivore posted:

45 minutes in and I’m having fun. Feels like Metroid. So far the challenge for the EMMIs is mostly finding the way out, you just gotta keep moving.

they dont really add anything to the game except to destroy any potentially interesting atmosphere. i really dont like them. in fact from what ive seen if they werent in the gane at all but no other changes were made, it would be a better game.

also delete adam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraQuiet
Apr 25, 2016

by Shine
3 minutes in and i'm already dealing with omega weapon durability

also,

no controller remap

drat

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm getting mixed signals on the game's writing. Is it like fine but a bit dumb or is actually a problem again?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
My only real complaint so far is I wish I could remap the slide to ZR instead of ZL. I don't know why but my brain keeps wanting me to press ZR and it's resulted in quite a few game overs for me.

e: Oh yeah I guess I can do that in the main Switch menu. :v: Still kind of silly they don't let you do it in game.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
poo poo, I did not want to return to the thread, but I am lost. Early stuff

Just beat Corpius and got the Invisibility power, but I can't figure out where to go. I don't have any ways back into the old EMMI zone, and the only areas I can go to now are full of heat zones I can't survive in.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Ok seriously. The first EMMI zone you have to sit on a plate and raise the water to slide through and continue. The EMMI is literally just there so that you have to pass through that area in a rush like 4-5 times before you figure out that you can interact with that glowing place. Lame as hell.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Ok seriously. The first EMMI zone you have to sit on a plate and raise the water to slide through and continue. The EMMI is literally just there so that you have to pass through that area in a rush like 4-5 times before you figure out that you can interact with that glowing place. Lame as hell.

I snuck by it, and got it super quick, as I noticed the floor was sinking. You can always lure the EMMI into different areas, to take pressure off you.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

MonsterEnvy posted:

poo poo, I did not want to return to the thread, but I am lost. Early stuff

Just beat Corpius and got the Invisibility power, but I can't figure out where to go. I don't have any ways back into the old EMMI zone, and the only areas I can go to now are full of heat zones I can't survive in.

I got stuck here too, here's the solution: In the new zone, shoot the wall to the left in the elevator and that opens up a way.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
im not worried about the pressure as far as the game goes, its just a nuisance. let me casually explore, not execute qtes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zebulon posted:

I got stuck here too, here's the solution: In the new zone, shoot the wall to the left in the elevator and that opens up a way.

Thanks

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

im not worried about the pressure as far as the game goes, its just a nuisance. let me casually explore, not execute qtes.

You don't have to do the QTE if you don't get caught. Also you will be able to destroy them eventually.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the game, is good

ExtraQuiet
Apr 25, 2016

by Shine

Twelve by Pies posted:

My only real complaint so far is I wish I could remap the slide to ZR instead of ZL. I don't know why but my brain keeps wanting me to press ZR and it's resulted in quite a few game overs for me.

e: Oh yeah I guess I can do that in the main Switch menu. :v: Still kind of silly they don't let you do it in game.

im using a wireless GC controller and they don't let you remap those in switch settings either

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The game feels really good to play, though it's still taking a bit to get used to aiming+missiles at the same time. The emmi zones are definitely a bit nerve wracking, but checkpointing is generous enough that it doesn't feel terrible when you get owned, and honestly most of my deaths to them have been my own dumb mistakes like embarrassingly forgetting how to charge the omega gun or underestimating how long it takes or stealthing directly in one's path. The only cheap deaths I've run into were when I dropped down a hole directly onto one because it doesn't seem like their position resets when you reload from a checkpoint.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Big Bizness posted:

Here's a few pages from the Nintendo Power Super Metroid comic featuring Samus and her bounty hunter friend Houston blasting the gently caress out of some aliens:
https://twitter.com/VGArtAndTidbits/status/1165616042829393921?s=20
It's interesting how that short Super Metroid comic was basically the first time a lot of those backstory ideas they had actually made it to any sort of written material
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HediES8Zvkc&t=164s

Even if Nintendo doesn't want the comic itself to be canon for obvious reasons

Also it gave us swole 6 foot 3 gymnast Samus

Don't forget Captain N Samus

Samus no he's underage

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 8, 2021

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I’m barely a few minutes into this game and I’m already blown the gently caress away it’s amazing and definitely feels incredible to play, also rad as gently caress presentation and music

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm getting mixed signals on the game's writing. Is it like fine but a bit dumb or is actually a problem again?

The writing is generic but easily ignorable. It's not Other M's cringe-filled borderline sexist nonsense if that's what you're worried about. Samus is a badass and has free reign to be a badass.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It's not a QTE though. QTE implies that you are reacting to something , whereas getting caught by an EMMI is essentially a guess as it is impossible to humanly react to. Also, stop getting caught.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

The writing is generic but easily ignorable. It's not Other M's cringe-filled borderline sexist nonsense if that's what you're worried about. Samus is a badass and has free reign to be a badass.

I like that the phantom cloak boss fight has her doing cool moves like the tail grab and letting you do the shooting during the animation for it, and the finisher of her casually standing there charging her gun while waiting. They did a good job with Samus' animations, including just the little hops to get on the transports between zones rather than just walking onto them.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

All I needed to hear. Bad writing isnt necessarily a problem, but something like Other M is a dealbreaker.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
First impressions after three hours: Mercury Steam definitely learned a lot of lessons from where they went wrong with Samus Returns, as nearly everything about Dread is a categorical improvement.

Really wish the option to re-map the controls was there, though I am getting used to them so to their credit the controls are at least intuitive.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I haven't gotten this enjoyably lost in a game in a long time.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Just beat the first boss to get the phantom suit. First boss was cool. Had a good mixture of gimmicks, plus a sneaky QTE that allowed you to get some free damage. I also like that the morph ball seems to be a pretty "advanced" upgrade, in that you don't get it for a while. Gonna call it for tonight. But the game is good, and while Adam exists, he isn't Other M Adam. But constantly referring to Samus as "lady" is cringey so hopefully they drop that poo poo.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's the same as Fusion and honestly it's not a problem.

Game is so freaking good though. I had high hopes but so far it's blowing them out of the water. The EMMI are terrifying and it's so stressful to go into those areas.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

just beat phantom boss. MercurySteam should be immediately put on permanent contract/acquired by Nintendo, this game feels and looks phenomenal. Samus has never felt so smooth and badass----they improved on everything they did in Returns and even added more fun poo poo like the slide and the sliding flipkick.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I was worried a bit about linearity but the game picks up a lot in exploration a bit after hitting the third area.

once you get the spread beam go back to the second area, killing the EMMI there gets you Morph Ball which opens a ton of stuff up

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The amount of areas that are blocked off by a slide that leads you down a one-block drop that you can't go back up feels like a genuine piss-take.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

So, game good?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Frankston posted:

So, game good?

Yes, very. Mercury Steam did good.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Okay, I think about 5 hours is a good stopping point. Game ain't loving around with the EMMIs or Kraid so far. Got the Morph Ball finally, and finally figured out where I'm expected to go now after a lot of wandering around and being fenced in.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Haven't had much of a chance to play, only put in maybe 20 minutes before I had to head off to work but I'm liking what I'm seeeso far. Wish I could rebind L & R to LZ & RZ though.

For anyone in the UK, Amazon UK has the Amiibo 2 pack up for pre-order for the next batch it seems. £25 with a November estimate.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Are there there cooler biomes than those shown in footage? And without spoiling anything are the bosses cool?

I get the feeling the trailers and review footage is restricted to a select few parts

I watched a bit of the Arekks stream yesterday and the music is increadible.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Science_enthusiast posted:

Glad to hear this, I honestly think my favourite thing about Prime was the music. It managed to evoke such a weird feeling of isolation and DreadTM in me. Genuinely found it unsettling.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Science_enthusiast posted:

Are there there cooler biomes than those shown in footage? And without spoiling anything are the bosses cool?

I get the feeling the trailers and review footage is restricted to a select few parts

A few biomes I've run into so far: Cave system, jungle-y areas, lava structures, underground power plants, the various EMMI areas that make no real sense but whatever, a biological research lab with massive dissection room with automated arms doing the deed, and an underwater area + tanks, and a rainy outside area leading between two of these via train system. It's been decently varied so far.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Whoever worked on the controls and game feel of this game deserves the Nobel peace prize for perfection

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Game is very good.

My take on the EMMIs is that it’s an interesting mechanic, but I can see why it would be divisive. I think it works better in a world where Nintendo waited less than a decade to dust off the franchise, frankly. A huge part of their audience are folks who are jonesing for a modern version of the classic formula because it’s been a long time since they got their fix.

What I’m saying is they should have done a remake of Super Metroid alongside this and it would have been fine.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I love the EMMIs because they are scary and make my run fast and feel dread between the sessions of kicking butt.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
On the subject of linearity;

Someone found a way to bring bombs into the Kraid fight and it allowed them to bypass Kraid's first phase, he even had a special animation for getting hit by it. I think it's a lot more open then most people realize right now.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The emmi stuff feels like a lame gimmick for a number of reasons. The levels can make it so you can't feasibly avoid it and even of you are caught, you don't lose much progress which is a godsend. Most times it's just easier to die than actually run or avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I searched for Dread reviews on Youtube and one of the recommends was a video of the ending with a spoilery thumbnail. Come on, I thought I was safe with that search!