Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Has anyone here replaced ear pads for the Monoprice M560? Having trouble finding what might fit and it looks like everything from Monoprice is discontinued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Not exactly headphones but this thread will probably know: I’m working with a local community org on their tech stuff. They have a PC (Windows) being used for media and such, but the onboard realtek sound card is, predictably, poo poo and extremely noisy.

What’s the cheapest USB DAC I can get that will solve this problem? It doesn’t have to be great, just not buzz horribly, and it’s going straight into a line input on something else so I don’t need any real power here. But the budget is “it comes out of my pocket since they’re currently in the red this year”.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Arcsech posted:

Not exactly headphones but this thread will probably know: I’m working with a local community org on their tech stuff. They have a PC (Windows) being used for media and such, but the onboard realtek sound card is, predictably, poo poo and extremely noisy.

What’s the cheapest USB DAC I can get that will solve this problem? It doesn’t have to be great, just not buzz horribly, and it’s going straight into a line input on something else so I don’t need any real power here. But the budget is “it comes out of my pocket since they’re currently in the red this year”.

Does the PC have a USB C port?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Arcsech posted:

The Apple USB-C headphone dongle (or any USB-C headphone dongle, but the Apple one is cheap and reliable) and a USB adapter if you don't have a USB-C port I think should work and be under $25 all-in.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

njsykora posted:

The Apple USB-C headphone dongle (or any USB-C headphone dongle, but the Apple one is cheap and reliable) and a USB adapter if you don't have a USB-C port I think should work and be under $25 all-in.

If you do this, superglue the USB-C dongle into the adapter. It's possible to create a dangerous configuration otherwise.

I wonder how the cheapest Sound Blaster USB dongle would do.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
You could spend ~$20-30 on a USB C PCIe card and $9 on an Apple dongle and that would still be a pretty excellent solution for the money

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ok Comboomer posted:

You could spend ~$20-30 on a USB C PCIe card and $9 on an Apple dongle and that would still be a pretty excellent solution for the money

That's significantly more than the Sound Blaster, and this PC has all the signs of being a cheap laptop.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

That's significantly more than the Sound Blaster, and this PC has all the signs of being a cheap laptop.

Good point actually, what exactly is the computer in question? Laptop or desktop, new or old and what ports are we dealing with?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

endlessmonotony posted:

If you do this, superglue the USB-C dongle into the adapter. It's possible to create a dangerous configuration otherwise.

What do you mean?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

Never mind, go with the soundblaster

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

What do you mean?

Indeed

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ok Comboomer posted:

You could spend ~$20-30 on a USB C PCIe card

Why on earth would you do this? Don't do this. Get a usb C to A adapter for like three dollars.

endlessmonotony posted:

what?

OP if you want a cheap dac that works and will give you something close to line level, the behringer UCA202 or any of its variants will do the trick.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 4, 2021

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Why on earth would you do this? Don't do this. Get a usb C to A adapter for like three dollars.

Yeah, I wouldn't tell someone to get a pci-e card. Those are reserved mostly for niche or expensive things, not cheap rear end dacs!

I like this one, if you have a USB-A port. $30 bucks but sounds nice and can be loud.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P6SYQG9

If we're on a budget though, ask a friend of yours that has a phone with no headphone port for their usb-c adapter! The Apple one is a shocking $8.04!

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-USB-C-Headphone-Jack-Adapter/dp/B07K25P3N1

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 4, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LRADIKAL posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't tell someone to get a pci-e card. Those are reserved mostly for niche or expensive things, not cheap rear end dacs!

they're completely and utterly pointless unless you need USB 3.1 gen 2 but not thunderbolt.

every usb dac on earth communicates at usb 1.0 or 2.0, the connector doesn't matter.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

What do you mean?

USB-C is supposed to be able to pull significantly more power than USB-A is designed to supply, and USB-A male to USB-C female adapters are technically against the spec. I've been running the apple dongle on one for at least a year with no problems though

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Clark Nova posted:

USB-C is supposed to be able to pull significantly more power than USB-A is designed to supply, and USB-A male to USB-C female adapters are technically against the spec.

that's not how electricity works. also please explain exactly which "spec" those adapters are against.

if I had to guess what endlessmonotony was concerned about, it would be the ability to plug a usb-c laptop power supply into the port, which yeah that would probably not rule.

e: jesus christ this thread i'm losing my mind lmao

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 4, 2021

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

that's not how electricity works. also please explain exactly which "spec" those adapters are against.

if I had to guess what endlessmonotony was concerned about, it would be the ability to plug a usb-c laptop power supply into the port, which yeah that would probably not rule.

e: jesus christ this thread i'm losing my mind lmao

Consider the context of the system.

You might think nobody would stupid enough to borrow the out-of-spec adapter out of the DAC setup and plug something else in and end up destroying something.

I've done IT support.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

endlessmonotony posted:

You might think nobody would stupid enough to borrow the out-of-spec adapter out of the DAC setup and plug something else in and end up destroying something.

Sure I agree, but to be perfectly clear there's nothing actually wrong with USB-C female to USB-A male adapters, nor are they "out of spec".

Like, is there a specific scenario you had in mind? USB PD shouldn't even really be an issue since it needs a handshake to turn on the juice.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 4, 2021

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013

mes posted:

The Jabra Evolve2 85 probably fits all your requirements, it can connect to your computer via dongle or wired USB connection, and simultaneously connects to your phone via Bluetooth. It also has a boom mic. I haven't used the Evolve2 85 myself, I actually own a set of the Evolve 65 for Zoom meetings which works quite well either going through the computer or phone.

e: Maybe the cheaper Jabra Elite 85h would work too? Not sure if the mic works via 3.5mm or USB though.

That seems to fit the bill perfectly!

The $450 versus $250 price point between the evolve and the elite is quite the gut punch though. Looking through their documentation online seems like the elite can’t use the mic through either 3.5mm or USB. At that price difference might be reasonable to get a $200-$300 headphone and a standalone desktop mic.

Thank you!

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Those with the Sony XM-4, how good is the ambient sound stuff?

I basically wear headphones all day, which kinda annoys my wife when I can't hear her. I'm really interested in a nice pair of headphones that would pass through outside sound if someone's trying to get my attention, and I really like the look of the XM-4s. I also currently use a pair of WH-C700Ns and really like them, so it makes sense to me to get the more top shelf Sony option too.

I am also looking at the Airpods Max, which I understand has the transparency mode (p much the same thing as far as I can tell) compatible with PC, which is what I use all day. Lmao at the idea of spending that much on a pair of Bluetooth headphones personally, but the kicker here is that my work gives a pretty generous home office tech stipend and they would cover the full cost of either one.

I also make lots of Zoom/Google Meet calls all day for whatever that's worth. Reviews seem to say the Airpods have a much better mic?

Curious to hear any and all opinions. For some reason I have it hardwired into my consumerism brain that Sony is just who you go to for audio stuff so I typically default to them. I dunno why. Probably all those hours spent with my Walkman as a kid.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I assume you mean the over-ear XM4s and not the in-ear XM-4s?

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

njsykora posted:

I assume you mean the over-ear XM4s and not the in-ear XM-4s?

Yes, the over ear. Didn't even know there were in-ear lol

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Have a pair of Jabra 75t Elites and my left ear bud all of sudden is deafening quite. It's like at 5% volume while the right bud is perfectly fine.

I've disconnected, repaired, reset and update the firmware a few times. And still can't fix it.

They are barley 8 months old

Anyone have any else ideas?

Edit: also noticing now my bluetooth volume in general is very low. I have it cranked to max and it's at the regular 50% or so. I don't know what's going on.
OnePlus 6T

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 6, 2021

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Digital Jedi posted:

Have a pair of Jabra 75t Elites and my left ear bud all of sudden is deafening quite. It's like at 5% volume while the right bud is perfectly fine.

I've disconnected, repaired, reset and update the firmware a few times. And still can't fix it.

They are barley 8 months old

Anyone have any else ideas?

Edit: also noticing now my bluetooth volume in general is very low. I have it cranked to max and it's at the regular 50% or so. I don't know what's going on.
OnePlus 6T

This is from Reddit, looks like you should give this a shot

quote:

there is a little hole between the eartip itself and the charging connectors, if you take something small and not to sharp like a toothpick and "clean" inside that hole a bit then that fixes it, at least it did for me.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

trem_two posted:

This is from Reddit, looks like you should give this a shot

I cleaned that hole back when my 65t elites were giving me trouble and it worked.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Posted a couple weeks ago and got overlooked, would appreciate any suggestions :)

denereal visease posted:

Budget - 50-75 U$D
Source - Android
Isolation Requirements - No
Preferred Type of Headphone - Earbud
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - JBuds J3, JLab Audio J5, Panasonic RP-HJE120-KA
Preferred Music - Synthwave

Hey thread, I could use your help finding some new wireless earbuds for the gym.

My phone's headphone port is hosed up and the right audio channel doesn't like to work unless the cable is rotated just right. I have always preferred earbuds and don't like having hooks wrapped over my ear, having a "wreath" behind my head, or cords draped over my neck. I'm hopeful that some bluetooth earbuds can stave off buying a new phone just for gym jams.

Is there anything decent in this price range? I am a bit tired of spending $10 on earbuds every 6-9 months so I'm open to spending up a little bit, but my hearing is a bit damaged so I don't need/want audiophile gear.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I thought I already cleaned them good enough but apparently not. Really air blasted and scraped some dirt out. Been a few minutes so far so good!

Thanks!

Now just to figure out why sometime my Bluetooth volume randomly connects at 1/4 the volume than normal.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

denereal visease posted:

Posted a couple weeks ago and got overlooked, would appreciate any suggestions :)

I suggest checking out https://www.scarbir.com. I bought a pair of Fiil brand $50 wireless IEMs based on that site about a year ago. They sound good but the charging case was kind of crappy. In any event, the cheap true wireless landscape changes quickly, but that guy keeps up with it all and there are probably good recs to be had in your price range.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well nevermind that fix didn't last long. Now my right bud is having the same issue and I cleaned that one as well.

I'll keep trying and seeing but probably going back to my old cheap pair I got lying around somewhere.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
last resort is dunking them in high test isopropyl alcohol, really swishing them around in there and trying to clear them out with said solvent. No warranty if it dissolves glue and they fall apart or whatever.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

LRADIKAL posted:

last resort is dunking them in high test isopropyl alcohol, really swishing them around in there and trying to clear them out with said solvent. No warranty if it dissolves glue and they fall apart or whatever.

Wouldn't that kind of gently caress up the rubber-coating? Maybe that model doesn't have that, I don't remember.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So, I'm a big Klipsch guy and I ended up going with a pair of their T5 True Wireless buds, got em discounted on Amazon last October. Sound great, but bluetooth wasn't reliable at all, which I initially attributed to them but I think it was my stupid Galaxy phone (had a lot of trouble in my car as well but that seems to be gone now so system updates? I dunno). Anyway, they probably saw less than a couple hours use. I brought them to work to use eventually as I dont really have much use for headphones, especially buds, at home, but one just wouldn't come on at all. Did all the troubleshooting. Just dead. Contacted Klipsch, not much help, eventually pointed me towards a repair center but I'd have to mail them myself and gently caress that if they're still under warranty.

Finally ended up getting in touch with Gentec who is their distributor in Canada. Emailed first, nothing, so I called and spoke to a guy who seemed like he was gonna help me out. Eventually got an email back days later from my initial request that wasn't helpful at all. Waited almost 2 weeks and reached out to the guy I spoke to on the phone again, and he affirmed that the request had gone in for fulfillment for a replacement. I dont even remember giving them the serial number or anything like that, just the amazon order info and description of my issue.

Today in the mail I received the new T5 II set, which currently on amazon are going for over double what I paid for the old ones, and even that was paid for with User Interview survey money. If you pay good money for something and you have trouble while that poo poo is under warranty, dont give up until you get satisfaction!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Impressions? My first gen set have garbage call (mic) quality - thinking of upgrading

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Passburger posted:

Wouldn't that kind of gently caress up the rubber-coating? Maybe that model doesn't have that, I don't remember.

That's why I said last resort. I don't know the product. Often you can test a material by touching an out of the way portion of it with your solvent of choice.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

Impressions? My first gen set have garbage call (mic) quality - thinking of upgrading

I made a couple calls that were fine. Out of box, audio requires some adjustment though listening to music, this is on a S20 using Poweramp as the player, all set at default.

I'm a bit neurotic about charging and I dont usually leave stuff plugged in longer than it has to be, but I forgot myself and left the case plugged in yesterday. When I opened it up it only had 2/3 bars on the charge indicator, and after unplugging it and plugging it back in it began to charge the last section. Weird. Does it have some kinda anti-overcharge thing built in? I still have to play around with the head gesture controls as well.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
My 7Hz Timeless has finally shipped, after nearly a month of waiting. And it was shipped via some budget carrier I've never heard of that doesn't offer tracking, so who knows how long it'll take to get here.

Still, I'm looking forward to hearing what a (supposedly) good planar IEM sounds like. I have a Senfer MT100 planar hybrid that I thought was good when I first bought it, because it had a big sound stage, but after I bought a lot of better IEMs in the price range I realized that the rest of the sound was pretty bland and without detail. Also the right earpiece MMCX connector is hosed up so I can't really use them anyways.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

codo27 posted:

I made a couple calls that were fine. Out of box, audio requires some adjustment though listening to music, this is on a S20 using Poweramp as the player, all set at default.

I'm a bit neurotic about charging and I dont usually leave stuff plugged in longer than it has to be, but I forgot myself and left the case plugged in yesterday. When I opened it up it only had 2/3 bars on the charge indicator, and after unplugging it and plugging it back in it began to charge the last section. Weird. Does it have some kinda anti-overcharge thing built in? I still have to play around with the head gesture controls as well.

My issue is people can hear themselves when they talk to me over the earbuds. No other Bluetooth on my phone does that. Irritating but otherwise I like em.

Debating if I go Klipsch again or try out Jabra. Just hate that you can't use the left on it's own (I'm aware they fixed in the newest model but it's getting mixed reviews)

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
The Jabra 85t Elite are really good at all the non music listening stuff, phone calls, noise cancelling, ambient mode, phone app, etc. And they sound good too, to be clear, but when it comes to all the other stuff about TWS IEMs they’re good at all of that. Lucky for me the right ear only thing isn’t a dealbreaker for me.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Ok I don't know what the deal was with my shipping notifications for my 7Hz Timeless, because it showed up already today. Right out of the box I'm impressed, really impressed. Planar speed, planar bass, good imaging/separation, really well tuned.

For the non-audio stuff, it's super lightweight and comfortable, nice soft cable, and has easily the coolest IEM case in my collection.

This is a cool set of IEMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

trem_two posted:

Ok I don't know what the deal was with my shipping notifications for my 7Hz Timeless, because it showed up already today. Right out of the box I'm impressed, really impressed. Planar speed, planar bass, good imaging/separation, really well tuned.

For the non-audio stuff, it's super lightweight and comfortable, nice soft cable, and has easily the coolest IEM case in my collection.

This is a cool set of IEMs.

Nice. Does the stage have any depth?