Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

The Oldest Man posted:

can you define "that many" kids for us

kids I personally know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

where’s the ‘they say it only kills a very small amount of kids but I only have a very small amount’ tweet

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Has there been any significant news about Delta specific boosters yet

Supposedly in Q4 they're supposed to announce results, but it's impossibly hard to find any info of what's going on, how many trials etc for delta specific boosters

I guess there's a combo Delta/Beta cocktail booster that's being tested as well? Presumably those will get emergency use auth by mid January?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Stereotype posted:

oh I see several people already pointed that out

:rip: to me I guess

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

this is what I mean when I say it doesn’t kill many kids. firearms kill so many kids. cars kill even more.

that’s not a reason to keep schools open, for example because it is killing all of their teachers, but we are still very lucky that it isn’t killing kids. I for one was expecting far worse.

and don’t worry, there’s plenty of time for it to get worse.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hadlock posted:

Has there been any significant news about Delta specific boosters yet

Supposedly in Q4 they're supposed to announce results, but it's impossibly hard to find any info of what's going on, how many trials etc for delta specific boosters

I guess there's a combo Delta/Beta cocktail booster that's being tested as well? Presumably those will get emergency use auth by mid January?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/future-perfect/22687728/delta-specific-booster-vaccine-covid

quote:

There’s one other reason why making a reformulated vaccine to fight delta might have gotten off to a slow start, according to Benjamin Linas, an epidemiologist at Boston University. There are lots of unused doses of the original vaccines, which public health officials and drugmakers may have feared would go to waste if people decide they only want the “new and improved” version.

“I don’t know what message it would give if [Pfizer or Moderna] said, ‘Oh we have a specially engineered vaccine for delta.’ Would that generate concern that the original vaccine didn’t work? Which is absolutely not true,” Linas said. The vaccines are still really effective against delta, especially at preventing severe illness and hospitalization.“

tldr - they’re greedy shitheads who want to sell off the original formula vaccines before switching the production line to Delta boosters

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stereotype posted:

this is what I mean when I say it doesn’t kill many kids. firearms kill so many kids. cars kill even more.

that’s not a reason to keep schools open, for example because it is killing all of their teachers, but we are still very lucky that it isn’t killing kids. I for one was expecting far worse.

and don’t worry, there’s plenty of time for it to get worse.

its only a few thousand, is it really so bad a thousand kids get killed a year? im pretty sure Q has shown that a few MILLION are abducted a year

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/BenjaminLinas/status/1441870914912727043

Of course he’s a Great Barrington motherfucker

Of course

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mdemone posted:

300 micrograms of Moderna, match me by Halloween or die

1200 micrograms or gtfo :lsd:

OK baizuo fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 8, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

McNugget Buddy posted:

https://twitter.com/BenjaminLinas/status/1441870914912727043

Of course he’s a Great Barrington motherfucker

Of course

https://twitter.com/LadyMar21878376/status/1441883270577328130

Psychopath poo poo

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

the one thing ive learned from this vaccine rollout is that people have no loving idea what real seizures look like

I had epilepsy as a kid but I have no loving idea what seizures look like because I was unconscious at the time lol.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

McNugget Buddy posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/future-perfect/22687728/delta-specific-booster-vaccine-covid

tldr - they’re greedy shitheads who want to sell off the original formula vaccines before switching the production line to Delta boosters

I mean, they can't produce vaccines fast enough and get them in the hands of the other 175+ countries waiting to vaccinate their populace, I don't think they would have a substantial amount of "new old stock" as that would just get shipped off to Indonesia or south Africa or whatever and they'd be grateful to get it into their people's arms

Kind of wondering if Delta specific boosters will be announced when boosters are approved for everyone in the US

It's really weird though, other than that vox article, pretty much zero news about Delta specific booster roll out. At all. The vaccine gave you near perfect immunity against OG covid, but currently all it does against delta is keep you off a ventilator (probably). A Delta-specific booster would in theory cause breakthrough infections to drop off a cliff

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Canberra, Australia's capital, is at 96% first dose. That's insane.

And Sydneysiders will soon have their vax status show on their phone when they scan in everywhere, as is mandatory. This was the poo poo I spent months trying to get official proof for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEyp6GylsT8

Just the first few mins of this video.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 8, 2021

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Double posting all over this mother fucker

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I guess on August 11 Pfizer sent axios a statement that it would take them 100 days to generate a variant specific vaccine + approval time, so 4 months? If they started in July they... Ought to have something soon?

Ok looks like pfizer has a statement that went out July 8, 2021 saying that they've already manufactured the first batch of a beta/delta cocktail... clinical trials to begin in August. And then there's a single report that they're doing a delta booster study in Jacksonville, FL,

Hard to tell, there's two narratives coming out of the same news outlet

1) regular (?) Booster study being done in Jacksonville? Dated August 7
2) Delta specific study happening in Jacksonville FL dated Sept 20

Very odd that there's basically zero coverage of Delta specific booster study. But then again most journalists are terrible at their jobs

Edit: on moderna's investor site, looks like they have two different cocktails with a delta specific, the other being a Delta/beta cocktail, dated Sept 9

100 days from Sept 9 would be December 18

Fingers crossed we get some good news in January

Also need to read up more about beta variant, sounds like that might be the next variant outbreak once delta burns itself out in February

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 8, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hadlock posted:

It's really weird though, other than that vox article, pretty much zero news about Delta specific booster roll out. At all. The vaccine gave you near perfect immunity against OG covid, but currently all it does against delta is keep you off a ventilator (probably). A Delta-specific booster would in theory cause breakthrough infections to drop off a cliff

I guess maybe they don't want to be left holding the delta vax bag when the next big variant comes along and captures the market?

It's highly likely that the next nasty variant will be descended from delta in any case (there's not a lot of other options left!!) so I'm guessing that a delta vaxx would still have increased efficacy against whatever comes next but I suppose they've done a heap of cost/benefit analyses that take that into account. Moderna announced a specific booster for the beta strain back in February but by April/May it would have been pretty obvious that'd been a total waste of time and money:

https://nextstrain.org/ncov/gisaid/global
(Beta is the darker blue shade right up the top)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You got in before my edit, but my guess is once delta burns itself out, beta/mu will finally have their time in the spotlight. Not sure but I think they have different methods to bypass immunity so you're looking at two new major species going forward

Haven't read anything about a mu vaccine yet. It's managed to hang on in Colombia as the dominant variant there for a long time now

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hadlock posted:

You got in before my edit, but my guess is once delta burns itself out, beta/mu will finally have their time in the spotlight. Not sure but I think they have different methods to bypass immunity so you're looking at two new major species going forward

Haven't read anything about a mu vaccine yet. It's managed to hang on in Colombia as the dominant variant there for a long time now

I looks like South America will have a showdown between delta and mu sometime soon (mu is the red band):

https://nextstrain.org/ncov/gisaid/south-america

Delta already won out against alpha, beta, eta and iota down there and is slowly squeezing out gamma and lambda but although mu isn't gaining any ground it's not really losing much either

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Lenin Stimpy posted:

its only a few thousand, is it really so bad a thousand kids get killed a year? im pretty sure Q has shown that a few MILLION are abducted a year

no lives matter

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

things are getting better! it’s time to get rid of the thing that is making things better!

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/575847-some-indoor-mask-mandates-to-end-in-san-francisco-bay-area

quote:

Some indoor mask mandates in the San Francisco Bay Area will be ending in the upcoming weeks as long as areas meet the criteria Bay Area health officials set Thursday.

Nine Bay Area jurisdictions announced Thursday if an area meets three criteria, they can list mask requirements in most indoor spaces.

The requirements include remaining in a yellow COVID-19 transmission tier defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for three weeks, COVID-19 hospitalizations staying low and stable and 80 percent of the area’s total population, regardless of if all qualify for the vaccine, being fully vaccinated.

The last criteria for 80 percent of the population vaccinated can be bypassed once vaccines have been approved for ages five and older for eight weeks.

The counties of Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Sonoma and the City of Berkeley have all agreed to the conditions.

“Indoor masking has been an important part of our defense against the virus and helped us get through the most recent surge while keeping businesses open and bringing children back to school,” San Francisco Health Officer, Dr. Susan Philip said.

“We recognize that now is the time to begin taking steps toward easing some of the masking requirements in safer settings and planning for when we can safely lift them more broadly,” Philip added.

Along with the announcement, Mayor London Breed and the San Francisco Department of Public Health said some indoor masking requirements will be lifted on Oct. 15 as long as hospitalization rates stay low.

The requirements will be lifted in “offices, gyms, and fitness centers, employee commuter vehicles, religious gatherings, and indoor college classes or other organized gatherings of individuals who meet regularly, not exceeding 100 people.”

Other areas have not announced when they will lift requirements with some needing to reach the vaccination or hospitalization criteria.

:crackping:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Time to get any non-essential shopping done before Delta rips the bay area a new one

Although, not going full open Biden will probably kill what little independent retail still exists, and most covid financial support is evaporating soon, must make number go up :regd20:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

corona familiar posted:

things are getting better! it’s time to get rid of the thing that is making things better!

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/575847-some-indoor-mask-mandates-to-end-in-san-francisco-bay-area

don’t we have a statewide indoor mask mandate tho

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

corona familiar posted:

The low cost NPI was so effective we should get rid of it!

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Lenin Stimpy posted:

Lol c’mon, compared to 700,000+ adults it’s ok to acknowledge that less kids die

It’s still too many obv but I’m really glad that they aren’t as susceptible as old people

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

don’t we have a statewide indoor mask mandate tho

The state as a whole is yellow tier

In any non-delta pandemic we'd all be in a mosh pit together sucking and loving at these transmission levels

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SF Libs really "trust in the plan"

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

etalian posted:

SF Libs really "trust in the plan"

ever since i sat through the entirety of battlestar galactica i no longer trust anyone who claims to have a plan and i feel like the fine* people of SF should follow my example

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

blatman posted:

ever since i sat through the entirety of battlestar galactica i no longer trust anyone who claims to have a plan and i feel like the fine* people of SF should follow my example

You should have watched Babylon 5 instead

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
you know CSPAM would call liberals "lanyards" because they'd often be working in a white-collar job (if not outright consultancy) where they'd be wearing their ID on a lanyard?

work gave me a plastic half-loop with two clips at the end - the clips are supposed to attach to the ear straps on your face mask

I asked wtf it was (more delicately than that) and was told that it was so that you could hang your mask off your neck when you take it off while eating

it's a face-mask lanyard

a face-mask lanyard!!!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

gradenko_2000 posted:

you know CSPAM would call liberals "lanyards" because they'd often be working in a white-collar job (if not outright consultancy) where they'd be wearing their ID on a lanyard?

work gave me a plastic half-loop with two clips at the end - the clips are supposed to attach to the ear straps on your face mask

I asked wtf it was (more delicately than that) and was told that it was so that you could hang your mask off your neck when you take it off while eating

it's a face-mask lanyard

a face-mask lanyard!!!

:rubby:
now that’s what I call innovation

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's a face-mask lanyard

a face-mask lanyard!!!

somebody decided this was a thing people needed

somebody got paid to design this

somebody approved it

somebody bought it

several “is this stupid” gates failed

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

You should have watched Babylon 5 instead

Death of Innocence
Jan 12, 2006

Actually at least in theory that might be useful for me, I eat my work lunches outside but taking off my mask means the wind might blow it away. Having some small hands free way to hold onto the mask without having to crumple it into my pocket or find some makeshift paperweight would be pretty nice. Maybe it doesn’t really justify getting some dumb lanyard, but it is one of those frustrating awkward inconveniences I have to deal with everyday.

Who would hang a mask off their neck while eating? That’s just begging to get your mask dirty.

Death of Innocence fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 8, 2021

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lil poopendorfer posted:

Please confirm that seizures aren’t isolated to one entire limb lol

I’m 90% sure but there’s always the exceptions in medicine

You can have localization epilepsy or automatisms like lip smacking

But if she is having a tonic/clonic seizure, which i think that’s what she’s claiming is going on, it is impossible for her to maintain consciousness or have it only happen in one leg.

What she’s doing is just hyperextending her knee and shaking her leg really fast.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Death of Innocence posted:

Actually at least in theory that might be useful for me, I eat my work lunches outside but taking off my mask means the wind might blow it away. Having some small hands free way to hold onto the mask without having to crumple it into my pocket or find some makeshift paperweight would be pretty nice. Maybe it doesn’t really justify getting some dumb lanyard, but it is one of those frustrating awkward inconveniences I have to deal with everyday.

Or....you could just get an n95 with headstraps instead of earloops.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Death of Innocence posted:

you're right, and my current solution has been to keep a small eco-bag with me so I can stuff the mask in there then weigh it down with something without the something touching the mask

but it just bothered me that this is almost certainly being used by someone going to a bar or otherwise eating indoors

Death of Innocence
Jan 12, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Or....you could just get an n95 with headstraps instead of earloops.

I wasn’t clear but I fully take my mask off, I don’t think the lanyard or the headstraps really help when there’s the likelihood of getting crumbs or whatever on your mask. These days I’m wearing the 3m Aura N95s, which do have a headstrap.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gradenko_2000 posted:

you're right, and my current solution has been to keep a small eco-bag with me so I can stuff the mask in there then weigh it down with something without the something touching the mask

but it just bothered me that this is almost certainly being used by someone going to a bar or otherwise eating indoors

You're probably the only one who's not using it in that way.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Hear me out:

Cheez-It pouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Hear me out:

Cheez-It pouch.

I would love a Cheez-It feedbag.