Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That one is dooming the kid to correcting people their entire life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Imagine meeting someone who is in literally any position of authority, and then learning that their name is Pimpley Dudeson.

“Mr. Dudeson?”
“Nonsense, call me Pimpley!”
“N… no, thank you.”

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
None of those are as bad as Elon Musko and his Grimy bride's name for their terrible spawn.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sonic Dude posted:

Imagine meeting someone who is in literally any position of authority, and then learning that their name is Pimpley Dudeson.

“Mr. Dudeson?”
“N… no, thank you.”

That's either going to be the least effectual person ever, or we're going to see ourselves in a Boy Named Sue situation and they end up being a navy seal.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

That's gotta be a joke right?

The KKK is just too on the nose

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sonic Dude posted:

“Mr. Dudeson?”
“N… no, thank you.”

This is just England

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1445987701782499328?t=-AzzD8FwU_hzvTKInxVGpg&s=19

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1445989120988237831?t=BAH83K80bvZ70HNrJC5WkA&s=19

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1445990181106962436?t=gEOIgc52TakH5rMu65_CoA&s=19

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1445992404801052675?t=nDa2EZdTLPyRDYO7piDijw&s=19

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1445993571283202051?t=O-eiWp35pUHbElmuLS-3iA&s=19

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1445997752387735553?t=H68ZENbAyBUeL0lrkDjzeA&s=19

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1446000169397338112?t=w_Vva3cdgOc6_HWyAi_VEQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1446177157470822400?t=B6ZfSwTim_fREC1CmploIw&s=19

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1446350279453003778?t=VXRyXkmQ02iaZAtxnai8bw&s=19

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A lot of these things remind me of Pogs

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Whoever the idiot in this is, it's probably not the person who managed to get a captive audience of 161k kids who have been proven to be loose with money in one fell swoop. Or well, they're probably still an idiot, because it's crypto, but it's an incredibly ballsy move.

https://twitter.com/cryptodarumaX/status/1446299850966855685

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ibblebibble posted:

Whoever the idiot in this is, it's probably not the person who managed to get a captive audience of 161k kids who have been proven to be loose with money in one fell swoop. Or well, they're probably still an idiot, because it's crypto, but it's an incredibly ballsy move.

https://twitter.com/cryptodarumaX/status/1446299850966855685

lol

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Memento posted:

That's either going to be the least effectual person ever, or we're going to see ourselves in a Boy Named Sue situation and they end up being a navy seal.

every time this song comes up I can’t help but think of the sequel, don’t look it up if you don’t want to retroactively dislike shel silverstein of all people

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Someone needs to make a graph showing at what level of wealth each comedian has became poo poo. It's like they get to a certain wealth and writing jokes that still punch up becomes too hard so they just do a 180 and start punching down instead.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rockman Reserve posted:

every time this song comes up I can’t help but think of the sequel, don’t look it up if you don’t want to retroactively dislike shel silverstein of all people
Too late curiosity got the best of me, also holy fuckin' oof, I kept reading it thinking "oh this must be self-parody" and maybe it is, but the last few lines crashed and burned and there were no survivors.

Mega Comrade posted:

Someone needs to make a graph showing at what level of wealth each comedian has became poo poo. It's like they get to a certain wealth and writing jokes that still punch up becomes too hard so they just do a 180 and start punching down instead.
It's fine, Twitter has assured me "punching down" isn't even real because nobody is being punched and nobody is being harmed, it's all just punching, and people need to get thicker skin. What a relief!

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Comedians love to mythologize their early days when they were booed off stage every night and had to scribble down jokes on napkins between bussing tables. I think they like telling those stories because

A) that actually happened and they feel like they've collected enough misery points to make someone else's life miserable

Or

B) it didn't actually happen, but it's a good enough story to make themselves seem like underdogs and it justifies whatever bigoted viewpoint they have.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Hmmm "made up words" huh? Like literally every loving language ever, you outdated fossil?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The word email didn’t exist when my mom was a kid therefore it is made up and in this unhinged screed I’ll

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

teen witch posted:

The word email didn’t exist when my mom was a kid therefore it is made up and in this unhinged screed I’ll

ACTUALLY it's an archaic (in English) word for enamel so it did exist when ur mum was a kid in the 1800s.
:goonsay:

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

The Saddest Rhino posted:

a bunch of weird rear end NFT garbage

I'm pretty sure this is all just scammy garbage but there's always this little voice in my brain that says it's just because I don't understand it. Can someone reassure me that this is indeed nothing but scammy garbage?

And just as a side note, the art, especially the animals, seems to be consistently nauseating.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

ACTUALLY it's an archaic (in English) word for enamel so it did exist when ur mum was a kid in the 1800s.
:goonsay:

Look just because we witch folk age differently doesn’t mean it’s bad

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Local Weather posted:

I'm pretty sure this is all just scammy garbage but there's always this little voice in my brain that says it's just because I don't understand it. Can someone reassure me that this is indeed nothing but scammy garbage?

And just as a side note, the art, especially the animals, seems to be consistently nauseating.

Here’s how NFTs work, roughly.

I put a picture of something in an envelope. You pay me enough money to buy a car, and I burn a stack of old tires to needlessly pollute. After the tire burning ceremony is over I give you a piece of paper that says “Local Weather totally owns the picture in this envelope I have” and I publish a notice so everybody can see that you bought the contents of that envelope from me.

You do not get the envelope. You do not get a say in what I do with the envelope. If I want to take the lovely animal picture that was originally in the envelope out and replace it with goatse, I can do that. If I want to just light it on fire, I can do that. You do not own the item. You own the receipt.

Khizan has a new favorite as of 11:20 on Oct 8, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

teen witch posted:

I’m telling Shiva Ayyadurai you slandered him and he’s going to sue you for all the moneys.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Khizan posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6964057494255619334

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Khizan posted:

Also, anyone can make one of those receipts for any envelope. At no point anywhere in this chain is anyone required to actually own the thing the receipt says they own.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The whole basis of "value" for all this crypto poo poo is the "blockchain" which as far as I understand is basically the transaction log for the particular currency you are using, and is continually mathematically ratified by a critical majority of all of the users of the cryptocurrency, that being the "crypto" part you have a pile of computers doing a pile of complex maths to create this mexican standoff of computing power so nobody can (in theory) just modify the communal ledger arbitrarily.

The problem is 1. this wastes a gigantic amount of electricity all of the sake of just not having a bank, i.e a central ledger keeping authority which is controlled by the government and what stops them doing fraud crimes is just normal human concepts of checks and balances and regulation etc. Instead we have to constantly use power to create "decentralized" authority.

Also 2. turns out computing power is actually quite centralized and it would actually be fairly easy for state or sufficiently equipped private actors to divert enough processing power to seize control of most currencies if they were so inclined, or to form a cartel to manipulate it, so what you have actually created is a completely anonymous and unregulated central bank that runs on a giant pile of burning tyres.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As has been said; if it doesn't make any sense, then it's been explained correctly.

I said before it's pretty much homeopathy or Sovereign Citizen thought applied to computers and economics rather than medicine or law; fancy useless doodads and fast-talk designed to look and sound appealing to the bored, desperate, and stupid, hitting just the right point of Dunning-Kruger to get people invested, even before they've literally put money into it and it starts being a sunk cost monetarily and socially.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

She needs to go outside and cast Touch Grass.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you have magic powers and you don't dress like a witch/wizard just to gently caress with people that's a deficiency on your part IMO.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

They'd be like 40 000 times cooler* if they did wear a tall pointy hat etc.

*) 40 000 x 0 is still 0 but :shrug:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Re NFTs: Also everyone in the world can get copies of what’s in the envelope and use it however they’d like

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

OwlFancier posted:

The whole basis of "value" for all this crypto poo poo is the "blockchain" which as far as I understand is basically the transaction log for the particular currency you are using, and is continually mathematically ratified by a critical majority of all of the users of the cryptocurrency, that being the "crypto" part you have a pile of computers doing a pile of complex maths to create this mexican standoff of computing power so nobody can (in theory) just modify the communal ledger arbitrarily.

The problem is 1. this wastes a gigantic amount of electricity all of the sake of just not having a bank, i.e a central ledger keeping authority which is controlled by the government and what stops them doing fraud crimes is just normal human concepts of checks and balances and regulation etc. Instead we have to constantly use power to create "decentralized" authority.

Also 2. turns out computing power is actually quite centralized and it would actually be fairly easy for state or sufficiently equipped private actors to divert enough processing power to seize control of most currencies if they were so inclined, or to form a cartel to manipulate it, so what you have actually created is a completely anonymous and unregulated central bank that runs on a giant pile of burning tyres.

Yeah number 2. is called "double spending" or a "51% attack" and it's happened a bunch of times

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Vib Rib posted:

Too late curiosity got the best of me, also holy fuckin' oof, I kept reading it thinking "oh this must be self-parody" and maybe it is, but the last few lines crashed and burned and there were no survivors.

Wow, turns out it was even worse than I expected.

:ohno:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

sick of Applebees posted:

That's gotta be a joke right?

The KKK is just too on the nose

Yeah it's a joke, it's got Thalium on there, which is the medicine that causes flipper babies iirc.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

That's such a powerful nose that I believe her witchy claims.
But she should definitely dress up in a witch hat and witchy costumes because it's fun and cool, and probaaaaaaably not threaten to hex/curse literal children for liking witches?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Yeah I’d like to acknowledge a few non-white pagan, shamanic, esoteric and otherwise deemed “occult” groups that perhaps would like a word with her about this oppression. She needs to hop off the stake and recognize that without the western definition of witchcraft (which is just a jumble of European non-Christian traditions in some form of stew), she’d probably not find her way to a path, whether left or right hand or one directly up that idiot maw of hers. Pop culture saved Wicca from rotting out in the 60s and 70s

I really hope this is just a fake but I know far too many Wiccans who need to reorganize their priorities.

No, no eye of newt in the salad, thanks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Yeah it's a joke, it's got Thalium on there, which is the medicine that causes flipper babies iirc.

No, that's one of the dwarves from the hobbit.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

OwlFancier posted:

No, that's one of the dwarves from the hobbit.

Your thinking of Thorin. They are talking about the norse thunder god.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Your thinking of Thorin. They are talking about the norse thunder god.

Uh no you fool, Ra’s daughter. Y’know, the one in Arrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Why is she so offended by traditional witch folk dress?