Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Talas posted:

The next White Dwarf has some updated rules for Seraphon, just like Sons of Behemat and Slaves to Darkness in the recent issues. And well, that's something that a lot of people are taking as a sign that their next battletomes are going to take a while to arrive:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/09/29/side-with-the-seraphon-and-reclaim-an-adepta-sororitas-sanctuary-in-white-dwarf-469/

Do these rules make it into the app(s) at all, or does it perpetually moan about an invalid list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Last month's still aren't in, at least - I can't give a mark to my Darkoath characters on my S2D list.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Another Sunday of no dragons :(

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Here I'm still waiting for my man Bastian

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Geisladisk posted:

Out of those three, Kharadron are definitely the least forgiving. They are kind of a techy army, based on maneuvering and shenanigans. Ogors would be the easiest to play, but that is entirely down to them having barely any options other than "run at enemy and hit them until they stop moving". Seraphon have a huge range of options, they have strong bashing infantry, lots of options for synergy and magic, and lots of monsters that you can smash into the enemy while making dinosaur noises like a happy toddler. They have also consistently been a strong army for the past few years.

Seraphon also have two Start Collecting boxes that are pretty great value - One based on Skinks, the other on Saurus. If you start by buying a couple of copies of either one, you have the core of an army ready to go.

As someone who learned how to play AoS whilst simultaneously starting out with KO, I can agree that they are very unforgiving which was becoming a big frustration to me at several points in my beginners journey. However now that I have about 13ish games under my belt I can safely say I can drive em ok. I love their steampunk dorfiness and the aesthetic so it's always fun to look at them, even as I take each poor Arkanaut off the table.

Other more forgiving factions like Maggotkin or Ogors are looking more and more like beautiful secondary picks for me because there isn't as much going on / stuff to keep track of.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Imho deepkin are easier to navigate than KO. You have fewer options in terms of loadouts, units and side rules and army wide rules make them more forgiving of mistakes.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Do not collect Deepkin, you will have a miserable time with fragile sails and tiny connection points on swords and you will play only half of the tiny model range because the rules for the other half suck. Just be basic and do Stormcast instead, or collect Bonereapers or Blood Dragons if you wanna do a cavalry force.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

KO are pretty weird and hard in the context of the game but they're also really strong and cool so it's fine to pick them.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pretty much all the top tier forces are fiddly in some way and require you to learn how to handle them.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The only thing that bugs me about KO are the players that keep asking to buy/trade for my Warp Lightning Vortex.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/10/07/discover-warhammer-the-old-worlds-ultimate-getaway-for-exiled-lords-and-rotten-princes
New The Old World article, talking more about the Border Princes region.

Granted, this is probably not the right thread for this but I don't think there is a Warhammer Fantasy thread kicking around so. v:v:v

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I mean that is cool and all, but where are my new stormcast? On a more serious note, I do have a feeling and this might be me being grumpy that the level of effort they put into their fantasy properties is reverse to what they pump into 40k

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I can’t really blame anyone for the delays because gestures at the entire world shipping collapse in progress

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

You are not wrong. On the other hand some kind of report on the whole shipping craziness since Cursed City would be a fascinating read.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I just want my dragons, man :saddowns:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I would want one of the smaller dragons to paint. But only one because space is premium in my display case at this point. :(
I really need to buy a storage box for all my marines so I can free some up.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

The Deleter posted:

Do not collect Deepkin, you will have a miserable time with fragile sails and tiny connection points on swords and you will play only half of the tiny model range because the rules for the other half suck. Just be basic and do Stormcast instead, or collect Bonereapers or Blood Dragons if you wanna do a cavalry force.

Deepkin lists have changed up in 3.0 and somehow the Turtles and Namarti have become good. I still wouldn't recommend IDK to a beginner unless you really like fish.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Could still use a new book to reorganize things, though, particularly their subfactions.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

JBP posted:

KO are pretty weird and hard in the context of the game but they're also really strong and cool so it's fine to pick them.

This.

I don't mean to discourage anyone from starting to collect and play KO, simply explaining my own experience with the faction. They are a ton of fun and the models/lore are sick as hell.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

End of day, you can actually build KO like you would build oldhammer dorfs - lines of infantry with guns and gunhaulers as mobile cannons. It's not super effective, but one can do that, and it will be more straightforward. Then you can adjust as you learn

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Covermeinsunshine posted:

End of day, you can actually build KO like you would build oldhammer dorfs - lines of infantry with guns and gunhaulers as mobile cannons. It's not super effective, but one can do that, and it will be more straightforward. Then you can adjust as you learn

I have a Barak Thryng list with some fyreslayers allied in for deep strikin' nekkid dorf attacks. 2 gunhaulers, 2 frigates and a whole buttload of arkanauts. It's pretty juicy and I love it.

Is it the most competitive list? Nah, probably not, but I have a lot of fun playing it.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I know the guy who plays that because he is too lazy to haul around the gunhaulers (i'm serious). If I were to ever get into KO I would grab the ironclad because I want to ram people with a big boat.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I knew a guy who played KO entirely boatless because he hated the boat models. I've never seen someone more dedicated to a) being wrong and b) playing in a suboptimal way.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

The Deleter posted:

I knew a guy who played KO entirely boatless because he hated the boat models. I've never seen someone more dedicated to a) being wrong and b) playing in a suboptimal way.

Did he also hate the baloon guys?

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

I know the guy who plays that because he is too lazy to haul around the gunhaulers (i'm serious). If I were to ever get into KO I would grab the ironclad because I want to ram people with a big boat.

The Zonbarcop 'Dealbreaker' Battle Ram(TM) is a very good Endrinwork for the Ironclad and a lot of fun, especially if you say "prepare for ramming speed" in your best Worf/Dwarf voice.

The Deleter posted:

I mean, I personally can't imagine why you'd get into KO if not for the boats, but hey horses for courses and all that.

EDIT: Was it in this thread that someone recommended a good carry case with strap for carting around all your dice, battletomes, bits and gubbinz etc.? Or did I imagine that.

DrDraxium fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 8, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Deleter posted:

:shepface:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Did he also hate the baloon guys?

No, he had the special character who was a balloonist with the chainsaw hand, so I have no idea what his problem was.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

If I had more time/money/skill I would love to do a kitbash of Skaven and KO and have a Skaven sky-pirate army.

It's tough for me to get super excited about AoS though. Skaven is my favorite faction and it feels like GW is trying to subtly push them out.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Floppychop posted:

If I had more time/money/skill I would love to do a kitbash of Skaven and KO and have a Skaven sky-pirate army.

It's tough for me to get super excited about AoS though. Skaven is my favorite faction and it feels like GW is trying to subtly push them out.

They got pretty recent buffs in the form of Moulder “mount” traits and ambush weapons teams that are still valid even if their battalions are narrative only now. They do need a hefty rework, though, the attempt to make them five different armies simultaneously didn’t really work.

E: also, I would love to see sky pirats to go with the sky raider Tzeentchians ans the orc sky pirates that exist in the fluff. (Some Big Yellers stole a bunch of lovely aetherhulks from the KOs and have been raiding sky mining ops with them.)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Floppychop posted:

Is there anything specific that makes you feel that way?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Skaventide absolutely needs to stop loving around with their really weird conditional battlelines or whatever. I don't know if people are REALLY that all in on a solely Skyre or Pestilens army or whatever but everyone should just have Clanrats and Stormvermin baseline.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Also, Acolytes need a loving box with a reasonable number of models at a reasonable price, not one off models at absurd cost.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Randalor posted:

Is there anything specific that makes you feel that way?

The last battletome was phoned in and made army building a giant PITA. And things like subfactions' battlelines being sold as $15 individual models that you need multiples of 5. Rules got pretty wonky as far as abilities, but unit and rules strengths are a yo-yo so I don't really take those into consideration, but it's clear that they didn't have people working on the battletome that liked Skaven, or even really understood them.

Sure molder got some decent rules with 3.0, but hoo boy those models. Also good loving luck trying to run Eshin.

The Deleter posted:

Skaventide absolutely needs to stop loving around with their really weird conditional battlelines or whatever. I don't know if people are REALLY that all in on a solely Skyre or Pestilens army or whatever but everyone should just have Clanrats and Stormvermin baseline.

It needs to be like every other faction with conditional battlelines and subfactions: If your General is X, then Y is considered battleline. Not this current bullshit.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/10/07/discover-warhammer-the-old-worlds-ultimate-getaway-for-exiled-lords-and-rotten-princes
New The Old World article, talking more about the Border Princes region.

Granted, this is probably not the right thread for this but I don't think there is a Warhammer Fantasy thread kicking around so. v:v:v

Is anyone else restarting their old square basy fantasy armies as a long term run up to Warhammer: The old world?

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

hooman posted:

Is anyone else restarting their old square basy fantasy armies as a long term run up to Warhammer: The old world?

There's at least one game I consider worthwhile that you can use them in while you wait. I'm a multi-basing person myself, but nothing wrong with ranking up individual minis.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

hooman posted:

Let's pretend all these bretonnian stls I collect and intend to print one day is for the old world.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Floppychop posted:

Someone in my LGS has this army with mechanicus and Necron parts for flavor and it whips as much rear end as you’re imagining

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

MCPeePants posted:

There's at least one game I consider worthwhile that you can use them in while you wait. I'm a multi-basing person myself, but nothing wrong with ranking up individual minis.

Kings of war?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com...rlds-harrowdeep

Sadly no dragons next week either, but the new Underpants set is up for pre-order instead. Is this a better or worse thing? You decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Had my first game today in a Path to Glory league with some friends.

Frostlord on Stonehorn is a beast.