Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
E: 30 is the number of times NAN99 will read this post before giving up

The key to reading tweets is to start at the top, unless it's a reply with an image in which case you start at the bottom and then skip to the top and end in the middle, or if it's a reply with an image to a post with an image then you start with the bottom image, then read the post above it, then skip to the top and read that top image and then the tweet.

E2: rearranged this post for a bit of practice.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

quoting this to add an extra level of not being able to understand it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Venty rant incoming.

This sounds like a kids these days post but isn’t.

Last 15 years or so I’ve been getting the same bus as the college kids, and they mostly sit there on phones head down, if one starts acting like a twat they are generally self policing.

Not this year, ohh ho gently caress no. It’s like being on a bus with 13 year olds, and these are 16-20 year old students - lads on the back seat screaming and shouting at 7:45 in the loving morning, and downstairs it’s malicious gobby cows who don’t draw breath for the talking the entire trip.

Yesterday in McDonald’s upstairs group of younger lads who came in and sat next to us were acting like little animals, to the point they pushed me off my seat while play fighting, and I had to tell them to calm down. Then they started with the f word and the c word and rape talk over and over again and I had to step in again and tell them to pack it in in front of all the small kiddies. That was the point the actual crazy older lad in corner unfolded himself and really had a go before being asked to leave. That was the point they shat themselves and shut up.

None of these kids are dangerous or violent, it’s just they simply don’t know how to act in public, those 13 year olds would have been in lockdown since they were 11 and the college kids missed out on being the year 11s on the back of the bus.

Idk what the solution is here, but bus drivers and staff telling them to shut the gently caress up/grassing them to schools or parents would be a start.

/end rant

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

No kids, lots of cats. That's the way.
Sounds like he's going for both. Hopefully very separately, but if someone came up to me and started going on about their genetic continuity and also giving cats the experience of pregnancy and bitcoin I'd keep them away from all animals as a precaution.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol

https://twitter.com/christotaylo/status/1446366194135674926

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

E: 30 is the number of times NAN99 will read this post before giving up

The key to reading tweets is to start at the top, unless it's a reply with an image in which case you start at the bottom and then skip to the top and end in the middle, or if it's a reply with an image to a post with an image then you start with the bottom image, then read the post above it, then skip to the top and read that top image and then the tweet.

E2: rearranged this post for a bit of practice.

People outing themselves as being too young to remember the top-quoting/bottom-quoting wars across email and Usenet ITT. The answer is obviously you read right-to-left.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If you browse enough forums you become like the aliens in Arrival reading in both directions at once and transcend linear time. This is related to the linguistic concept known as the Lieutenant-Worf Hypothesis

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

learnincurve posted:

Venty rant incoming.

This sounds like a kids these days post but isn’t.

There was a problem with kids being raised by tablet/phone before the whole pandemic but now it's more widespread and a lot of kids sadly spent a bunch of the last year and a half being raised by a marketing algorithm run for capital and curated by fascists

My younger lad is in year 7 and in his words "some kids talk exactly like youtube videos and streamers do". Device addiction/compulsion is a really massive problem among kids but a larger problem is that adults are equally addicted and manipulated in the same way. Government and media are controlled by the same folk making profit off the algorithm, so it's just going to get worse as the general rate of collapse increases like everything else seems to

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The key to reading tweets is don't.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

endlessmonotony posted:

I've seen things. I've seen them with my eyes.

I'm pretty unhappy that I have this in my head now and apparently I can still remember all the words.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

big scary monsters posted:

I'm pretty unhappy that I have this in my head now and apparently I can still remember all the words.

It's this generation's 'tears in rain' speech.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

DesperateDan posted:

There was a problem with kids being raised by tablet/phone before the whole pandemic but now it's more widespread and a lot of kids sadly spent a bunch of the last year and a half being raised by a marketing algorithm run for capital and curated by fascists

My younger lad is in year 7 and in his words "some kids talk exactly like youtube videos and streamers do". Device addiction/compulsion is a really massive problem among kids but a larger problem is that adults are equally addicted and manipulated in the same way. Government and media are controlled by the same folk making profit off the algorithm, so it's just going to get worse as the general rate of collapse increases like everything else seems to

I think this is happening even earlier as parents are using these items to get a break from parenting. Having the tablet entertain the child instead of them.

Personally, if my son wants to play, then I'm helping him build that block tower, or making the wooden train route. I may be shattered, but I believe it will be better for him in the long run.

stev posted:

It's this generation's 'tears in rain' speech.

I'm not so sure. I feel it might more be about where you can see lions and tigers. Or how amazing someone's horse is. Or the abilities of the one known as Trevor.

Tsietisin fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 8, 2021

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Tsietisin posted:

I think this is happening even earlier as parents are using these items to get a break from parenting. Having the tablet entertain the child instead of them.

Personally, if my son wants to play, then I'm helping him build that block tower, or making the wooden train route. I may be shattered, but I believe it will be better for him in the long run.

Im sure there’s a lot of instances of parent not wanting to just leave their kids to their own devices but being forced too by schools being closed but still being expected to work

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I feel for conflicted Newcastle fans after Ross County hired noted racist homophobe Malky Mackay this summer. Which is handy coz a local non-league team just moved to play about 10 minutes walk from my door so I've just started watching them.

They aren't very good but it's free and the manager isn't a oval office

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I feel for conflicted Newcastle fans after Ross County hired noted racist homophobe Malky Mackay this summer. Which is handy coz a local non-league team just moved to play about 10 minutes walk from my door so I've just started watching them.

They aren't very good but it's free and the manager isn't a oval office

The Malky saga is one of my all time faves largely because of Dave Whelan (who broke his leg in an fa cup final but didnt like to bring it up) defending his manager by saying it wasn't racist because Chinese people do look very similar

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

the sex ghost posted:

The Malky saga is one of my all time faves largely because of Dave Whelan (who broke his leg in an fa cup final but didnt like to bring it up) defending his manager by saying it wasn't racist because Chinese people do look very similar

Football sure is great*

*not great

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

the sex ghost posted:

defending his manager by saying it wasn't racist because Chinese people do look very similar
And the Jews, unique among all peoples, do like money, don't they Malky?

Surprised he hasn't been on Alex Jones' show to talk about the gay snakes, sounds like they have overlapping interests.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

People outing themselves as being too young to remember the top-quoting/bottom-quoting wars across email and Usenet ITT. The answer is obviously you read right-to-left.

And you outing yourself as a wannabe because the real argument was always about whether in-line quoting was appropriate.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

And you outing yourself as a wannabe because the real argument was always about whether in-line quoting was appropriate.

Inline quoting is by necessity subordinate to bottom and top quoting and also as irrelevant to discussions of Twitter as whether or not your .sig sep was valid or not.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Inline quoting is by necessity subordinate to bottom and top quoting and also as irrelevant to discussions of Twitter as whether or not your .sig sep was valid or not.

Sig separator is "-- " and the space is essential as otherwise it breaks message readers and sig strippers. Also sigs should be restricted to 4x80 characters unless group rules permit them to be larger.

Twitter does it that way because it's poo poo. Right or wrong doesn't enter into it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

facepalm dot jay peg

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1446216448037302274

e: I'm more facepalming the reporting rather than the person, though I'm also facepalming him too.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 8, 2021

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Not really sure where else to ask so hoping someone here can offer some advice.

There was some kind of fire last night in this building, in the flat below mine. Fire brigade turned up and dealt with it, myself and the other residents in the building weren't impacted and didn't have to leave our flats or anything. Building sure smells of smoke this morning though! The people whose flat the fire was in aren't talking about it so no idea what happened or how, or if there had been any potential damage to parts of the building structure or outside of that flat. They're housing association tenants, I think, they definitely don't own the property.

I'm renting the flat I'm in so only have contents insurance, and I honestly wasn't sure if a fire within a different flat in this building is something I need to tell my insurer for their awareness or if it's just the landlord I should tell since they're the ones who will have building insurance. Nothing of mine was damaged, but just not sure whether telling my own insurer is even needed since its contents only.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
As a general rule, inform your landlord of anything you think affects the envelope of the building.

“Hi, just to let you know, there was a fire in the block in flat X, Fire Brigade have cleared us as OK to be in the building”

Everything after that is for them to deal with, and part of renting is not having to follow up on any of the other poo poo.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Not really sure where else to ask so hoping someone here can offer some advice.

There was some kind of fire last night in this building, in the flat below mine. Fire brigade turned up and dealt with it, myself and the other residents in the building weren't impacted and didn't have to leave our flats or anything. Building sure smells of smoke this morning though! The people whose flat the fire was in aren't talking about it so no idea what happened or how, or if there had been any potential damage to parts of the building structure or outside of that flat. They're housing association tenants, I think, they definitely don't own the property.

I'm renting the flat I'm in so only have contents insurance, and I honestly wasn't sure if a fire within a different flat in this building is something I need to tell my insurer for their awareness or if it's just the landlord I should tell since they're the ones who will have building insurance. Nothing of mine was damaged, but just not sure whether telling my own insurer is even needed since its contents only.

There's no requirement for you to tell your insurer if there's nothing that you want to claim for.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Lot of chat about the euromillions at work today. Keep meaning to remember to win that

If one hypothetically did come into a hundred million quid what would be the best way to use it for the benefit of the most people? Part of me feels as though the most efficient way would be to have a WhatsApp number or something that's just 'text me whatever you need paying and I'll sort it no questions asked'. But then it's open to Mr snrub types so you'd need them to provide proof and then you're still holding your money over people's heads

Could you set up some sort of sex ghost foundation for good lads and lasses but since I'm very stupid and don't understand the investments required to keep the fund going I would require outside help and that would turn it into every other lovely charity that works to enrich itself

You could theoretically set up some sort of political action group but that feels a bit lib dem 'just vote!' for my tastes

Is the answer really just driving around Mario balotelli style and just handing out notes to people on the street

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

EvilHawk posted:

There's no requirement for you to tell your insurer if there's nothing that you want to claim for.

Thanks

Total Meatlove posted:

As a general rule, inform your landlord of anything you think affects the envelope of the building.

“Hi, just to let you know, there was a fire in the block in flat X, Fire Brigade have cleared us as OK to be in the building”

Everything after that is for them to deal with, and part of renting is not having to follow up on any of the other poo poo.

And thanks!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

Lot of chat about the euromillions at work today. Keep meaning to remember to win that

If one hypothetically did come into a hundred million quid what would be the best way to use it for the benefit of the most people? Part of me feels as though the most efficient way would be to have a WhatsApp number or something that's just 'text me whatever you need paying and I'll sort it no questions asked'. But then it's open to Mr snrub types so you'd need them to provide proof and then you're still holding your money over people's heads

Could you set up some sort of sex ghost foundation for good lads and lasses but since I'm very stupid and don't understand the investments required to keep the fund going I would require outside help and that would turn it into every other lovely charity that works to enrich itself

You could theoretically set up some sort of political action group but that feels a bit lib dem 'just vote!' for my tastes

Is the answer really just driving around Mario balotelli style and just handing out notes to people on the street

Bond villain island, nuke Britain

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

The answer is that thinking about this stuff is a waste of time and can lead to a gambling habit.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

James Brokenshire has kicked the bucket, and is now burning in Hell next to Thatcher.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

BBC News - Former Northern Ireland Secretary James Brokenshire dies, aged 53
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58844606

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

the sex ghost posted:

Get a hot air balloon and drop stacks of notes into a crowd of people then loudly guffaw so hard your top hat threatens to fall off as they go wild, sipping hundred year old brandy and smoking the best Cuban cigar

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

the sex ghost posted:

If one hypothetically did come into a hundred million quid what would be the best way to use it for the benefit of the most people?
I think Common Ground Trust. Buy houses and gift them to a trust where people renting them accumulate ownership of the bricks and mortar but the actual land is held in common by all participants as long as they are participants.

It's playing within the rules of a lovely system but anything else is too, and at least this builds up a group of people for whom another way is possible.

Alternatively genetically engineer an algae that can make cocaine and undermine one of the major circular routes of corrupt shadow capital, but you may end up tragically shooting yourself from the building across the road.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

fuctifino posted:

James Brokenshire has kicked the bucket, and is now burning in Hell next to Thatcher.

On 7 July 2021, Brokenshire tendered his resignation to Prime Minister Boris Johnson, stating his recovery from lung cancer is "taking longer than expected".[43]. He died on 8 October 2021[44]

Yikes.

Ring the by-election bell, I suppose. Probably uncontested? Not that it'll matter, it's a very safe seat.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

BBC News - Former Northern Ireland Secretary James Brokenshire dies, aged 53
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58844606

I'm just humming the chorus of Jimmy Nail's smash hit Crocodile Shoes but the words have been changed to Crocodile Tears.

the sex ghost posted:

Share half of it with me. That'd be the most effective way to go about it.

I mean if you're talking about changing the country for better "buy the Daily Mail" and subtly turning into a propaganda tool for socialism would be good. But with the caveat that you would probably need to win several Euromillions rollovers. Like probably well over £1.5bn to get a controlling stake.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 8, 2021

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

the sex ghost posted:

Bang it all into the UKMT Fund

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My plan if I won the lottery, which would be weird given that i have never played it and don't intend to start, was just to give it to everyone I know (except the people I know who already have enough money) and then just find random people to give it to until have like, i dunno a few hundred thousand or something left which would keep me going for the rest of my life probably.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Buy tranches of land and housing currently used for piss poor and lovely housing, replace it with better, roll that programme through the country.

Also monorails.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Necrothatcher posted:

The answer is that thinking about this stuff is a waste of time and can lead to a gambling habit.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Wasting time is fun.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

If I won £100m, I'd spend most of it on property and become a landlord

Which I'd then transfer to a trust and lease out on fully protected tenancies for a peppercorn rent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I'd spend the money digging thatcher up to make sure she was definately dead