Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Dolphin posted:

ride your bike on the sidewalk. risk of getting pancaked on the road is too high and Americans don't walk anywhere anyway

Wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
it's just the sightlines are all hosed up, not to mention you are crossing the potential vectors of cars like every 50 ft that wont stop until they're halfway through the intersection. If you're going like jogging speed though then im sure it not much of an isssue

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

if you think about it, Miatas are the bicycles of the car world

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
What are the bicycles of the bicycle world? Bmx bikes?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

in 40 years the surly long haul trucker will be considered gauche like rolling coal is today

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

What are the bicycles of the bicycle world? Bmx bikes?

Hell yeah

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
Goddamn I love bmx

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

bikes? very good

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Sharrows are great because they are basically free to install and then you get to have a disingenuous sound-bite about how you installed 400,000miles of bike lanes or whatever.

like when you catch your city including 'signed bike routes' in their list of bike infra, and it just means that there's a sign up next to the road saying it's a bike route. cool, thanks, as this driver mashes me into a chunky paste i'll gesture vaguely in the direction of a sign with a little bicycle icon on it

it's cooler to think of sharrows as a kind of mystical invocation of a cycling deity, a painted totem propitiating the lord of bikes who may or may not intercede on your behalf.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

bicycle riders sure seem to have some strong opinions on e-bikes

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Filthy Hans posted:

Yep: "they're extremely good," "they're really good," "they kick rear end," etc

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Filthy Hans posted:

They’re kinda unsafe in that they let middling cyclists go way too fast. It’s like if every car has 400hp

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

e-whatever is fine because they are not cars

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

e-bikers still have a car heart, and will readily come to the assistance of their motorist brethren the second one of them decides to mist the crowd at the bus stop with your blood

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

i swear the majority of toronto's budget over the past couple decades has been devoted to funding infrastructure concept art. it took them ten years to build this gently caress-ugly pedestrian bridge:

what the hell this looks like poo poo OP

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lots of modern pedestrian bridges are over engineered and like eight times the size they should be, I don't get it

just go back to making them out of rope and planks and replace the cars underneath with crocodiles

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

"look at how hard it was to offer basic pedestrian safety. you should stop asking for it"

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

E-bikes are very cool because you go so much faster with no extra energy great for olds like my dad. When i rode it i was going so fast I felt so alive!! They should have their own autobahn lane for pro cyclists and ebikes.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

road diet now

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Hmm I'm a biostatistician is that on a list? haha

with enrolling in a university, do you just do a semester and then drop out, and you are magically a citizen or what

https://www.germany.info/us-en/service/03-Citizenship/german-citizenship-obtain/919576

Also I have a lot of German ancestry, but you can't claim that unless they came to the US after 1904 apparently

You can still get permanent residency which is almost as good as citizenship (insofar as you don't have to worry about living in the US ever again lol)

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

ArmZ posted:

road diet now

hmm seems like it will cost too much lets just make the 2 right most lanes we can replace the other 3 with green space much cheeper

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

IAMKOREA posted:

You can still get permanent residency which is almost as good as citizenship (insofar as you don't have to worry about living in the US ever again lol)

ah cool, looks like you have to get a temporary residency first, and have that for five years. I'm curious if you get state health insurance right away - I have a cousin who moved to Spain, she's self-employed and lives in Barcelona, and I know she still has to get medical insurance from the US because she's not a permanent citizen, or whatever the right terminology is.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Suplex Liberace posted:

hmm seems like it will cost too much lets just make the 2 right most lanes we can replace the other 3 with green space much cheeper

i think you'll find the bike lane is a great place to stand and chat with your friends so that passersby don't bother you like they would on a sidewalk. except in winter when it's full of snow and slush since no one bothers to plow it since it isn't part of the road

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

i think you'll find the bike lane is a great place to stand and chat with your friends so that passersby don't bother you like they would on a sidewalk. except in winter when it's full of snow and slush since no one bothers to plow it since it isn't part of the road

Somehow I don't think that'll be a problem in the part of the country that's from.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Suplex Liberace posted:

hmm seems like it will cost too much lets just make all 5 of these zones lanes for driving much freedomer

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in michigan they're constantly trying to figure out how to fix the roads which is hilarious because the obvious solution is don't bother.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

"look at how hard it was to offer basic pedestrian safety. you should stop asking for it"

it’s pretty crazy and part of it is definitely ADA compliance which is tough to argue against; tough problem maybe something @rlonmusk could figure out

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
just have the pedestrians walk under ground

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

just did my first ebike grocery shop :c00l:

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

ebikes should be illegal, they're a waste of scarce resources and if you disagree you're essentially a nazi

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how much do ebikes cost

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
too much. Like 500 bux for a landfill-tier model, with good ones starting at several times more

they still kinda own as a primary means of transport though

e:

Sphyre posted:

just did my first ebike grocery shop :c00l:

:getin:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how long does it last and how long does it take to charge. pretend ur a salesman and don’t tell me to just google it.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

indigi posted:

how much do ebikes cost

low end: amazon options from $700 of dubious quality
https://www.amazon.com/ANCHEER-Electric-Removable-Lithium-Ion-Professional/dp/B07SMXW2F6/

high end: speedy hipster bikes from $7,000
https://www.vintageelectricbikes.com/collections/frontpage/products/roadster?variant=29668792107083

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I charge my bike's batteries with taco bell

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

indigi posted:

how long does it last and how long does it take to charge. pretend ur a salesman and don’t tell me to just google it.
like 45 miles and 6 hours to charge

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

also i hate to break it to some posters itt but hating ebikes on account of them not being 'real bikes' is a sure sign you view bikes as purely leisure, not transport, which is a symptom of terminal car brain

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sphyre posted:

also i hate to break it to some posters itt but hating ebikes on account of them not being 'real bikes' is a sure sign you view bikes as purely leisure, not transport, which is a symptom of terminal car brain

nice single pannier

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

i say swears online posted:

nice single pannier

the other one was on my shoulder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
ebikes are good. never forget the true enemy, cars