Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Died to the first boss fight three times.

Dread is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
there have been a bunch of difficult developer-intended sequence breaks discovered already, it's definitely not fusion.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

The emmi stuff feels like a lame gimmick for a number of reasons. The levels can make it so you can't feasibly avoid it and even of you are caught, you don't lose much progress which is a godsend. Most times it's just easier to die than actually run or avoid it.

lol at just giving up when it loving owns if you actually pull off the rolling heel sobat counter to an EMMI and then slide from their grasp to the next room

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Managed to snag the amiibo this morning :)

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

lih posted:

there have been a bunch of difficult developer-intended sequence breaks discovered already, it's definitely not fusion.

It's a lot closer to Zero Mission then anything, which is about the best we can hope for in terms of freedom in a Metroid game.

I think people don't realize a lot of the crazy poo poo sequence breaking poo poo you could pull off in Super wasn't intended at all. Which would be fine, except for the fact that it was also totally possible to gently caress yourself and get permanently stuck if you went a bit too crazy, and any dev (especially Nintendo) isn't going to ever try to replicate that because of it.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 8, 2021

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
lol, speedrunners have already figured out how to skip Kraid using a damage boost to reach normally inaccessible ledges.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Orange Crush Rush posted:

It's a lot closer to Zero Mission then anything, which is about the best we can hope for in terms of freedom in a Metroid game.

I think people don't realize a lot of the crazy poo poo sequence breaking poo poo you could pull off in Super wasn't intended at all. Which would be fine, except for the fact that it was also totally possible to gently caress yourself and get permanently stuck if you went a bit too crazy, and any dev (especially Nintendo) isn't going to ever try to replicate that because of it.

This. It's a lot harder to create intentional speed skips, and would take away from time they could use to polish the game to a mirror shine (which they seem to have done).

I'm so happy this game is good, now Retro just needs to stick the landing with Prime 4 and the franchise will truly be free of the curse of Other M.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I was able to add the Amiibo 2 pack for pickup at Best Buy. So if anyone's looking.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Liking the game so far but have died a ton of times. I like my Metroids being able to explore and figure stuff out - which this obviously has - but then the EMMI zones feel like im being rushed and pushed around. The countering is tough as the game says it is but I just end up frantically running away and hoping I can get the hell out of there to resume what I find fun in checking out the areas.

Decided to finally start work after the 1st boss doesn't seem to have any counter attacks, so I am just brute force shooting it and got it to the 3rd phase but the tailwhip is kinda nuts. At least you get dumped outside the room.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
While spoiling as little as possible, I've seen multiple outlets call this a "swan song", "final chapter", etc. Is this game pretty conclusively "the Last Metroid Game"?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The last metroid game is in captivity.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TaurusOxford posted:

lol, speedrunners have already figured out how to skip Kraid using a damage boost to reach normally inaccessible ledges.

:sickos:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Also my target pre-order hasn't shipped yet.

ANGER!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hiro Protagonist posted:

While spoiling as little as possible, I've seen multiple outlets call this a "swan song", "final chapter", etc. Is this game pretty conclusively "the Last Metroid Game"?

I don't know what they are referring to but there is zero chance this is the last Metroid game. I mean, MP4 hasn't been officially canceled yet...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I don't like that you don't get the ball right away.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Has anyone who has been to brick and mortar retailers to pick this up seen collector's editions anywhere?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

that's the best actually

they get so much mileage out of showing you blatantly obvious morph ball tunnels. "wouldn't you like to fit in here huh?? well too bad idiot, keep exploring"

no metroid game has ever explored the design space of actually using the morph ball as not the literally first powerup and i think it's very cool.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SettingSun posted:

I don't know what they are referring to but there is zero chance this is the last Metroid game. I mean, MP4 hasn't been officially canceled yet...

This is suppose to wrap up the SR388 arc

Which i didn’t know was a thing until it was announced

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Vintersorg posted:

i don't like that you go right instead of left from the game start screen!!!

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Shout outs to the guy at gamestop being so lazy that he couldn't be bothered to open the pin bag, and just gave me an entire bag. I have 5 sets now. Dude didn't even check my receipt, so maybe I could have just asked for a limited edition and got it. And I got my amiibo, so I'm happy.

I also had the Mestre da Pizza guy in line ahead of me. It looked just like him! What a day!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So just woke up. I love Super Metroid, think Zero Mission is probably the best (2D one, I think Prime is actually the best Metroid) although it's a close tie between the two, and think that while Fusion is a good action platformer, it's the worst Metroid game.

Will I like Dread? I'm nervous of being hurt again. It's kinda pricey.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, its fun and fine. Just expect to die.

The Dark Souls of Metroid.

jk

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Cool. I normally don't care about the plot much in Metroid, but I hate everything Sakamoto did to the character and the story and the petty way Other M tried to deliberately disregard the much more entertaining lore bits from Prime.

I didn't mention Other M when I called Fusion the worst Metroid game because Other M is less a game and more a interactive shitpost by Sakamoto about his issues with women.
Is Dread going to make me sad? Or is the Sakamoto-writing reined in a bit?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I’m probably in late game and plot’s pretty basic and not really in depth. About as much as Zero Mission really, so not really Other M levels of bad.

Though there are Nav Rooms along the way, but all Adam really does here is provide hints.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Awesome. Thanks!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Bloody Pom posted:

This. It's a lot harder to create intentional speed skips, and would take away from time they could use to polish the game to a mirror shine (which they seem to have done).

I'm so happy this game is good, now Retro just needs to stick the landing with Prime 4 and the franchise will truly be free of the curse of Other M.

Are the level designers, the same people as the mirror polishers? (The answer is no.)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Are the level designers, the same people as the mirror polishers? (The answer is no.)

Yeah but one of them does presumably have to get their work mostly done before the other.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i don't like that you go right instead of left from the game start screen!!!

that's because you start from what would traditionally be the end of a Metroid game :v:

lih posted:

I think people have (understandably) forgotten what blind playthroughs of Zero Mission and Super felt like, back when stuff like bomb jumping, wall jumps, and shinesparks weren't widely known about. Metroid games are generally pretty linear and have a clear intended path that you're meant to follow through the game. Diverging from this path and doing things in a different order took skill and advanced knowledge of the game that you weren't going to have on a first playthrough.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

I'm blazing through the game currently, got 4 EMMIs down and freshly gotten the Speed Booster, I'm having an amazing time cracking into this. The controls flow so well, the powerups feel so rad to use, I'm even a fan of how brutal the EMMIs are once I understood how Phantom Cloak and some good platform made their sections a tense cat and mouse game until I was finally able to turn the tables on them. This is definitely looking to be my game of the year so far.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
kraid kicked my rear end!!! Though getting to him at like 2:30 AM and barely awake probably didn't help

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Real recognize real

https://twitter.com/DOOM/status/1446475487023439876

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

this game is fuckin mint

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
Played an hour or so earlier and I loved it. The EMMIs really shake things up (and their animations and sound effects are great), and the counter works so much better than it did in Samus Returns now that Samus does a one-hit kill blast after countering and the enemies aren’t so spongey.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They aren't kidding when they say the EMMI emergency escape is hard as hell to perform. Haven't succeeded yet.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I need the raspy electronic robot voice going 'YOU ARE FACED WITH OVERWHELMING POWER. ACCEPT YOUR HELPLESSNESS.' to be sampled on the next Perturbator single. What a scene setter.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i kinda love the weird robot voice they gave adam, it's almost more isolating to have your only companion be this stilted, monotone computer

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Out of This World/Another World comparisons are incredibly obvious now that I think about them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KrzJo15oSU

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 8, 2021

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Augus posted:

i kinda love the weird robot voice they gave adam, it's almost more isolating to have your only companion be this stilted, monotone computer

I dunno, it kind of gives me some "DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER" vibes

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

wonder if theres multiple endings behind item collect %

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

It def works mostly because adam is incredibly unhelpful in a very non malicious way as far as i have been. On the other hand the emmis bore me because the threat of death is short and non frustrating and the layouts are super samey. Its not bad so much as theres a lack of tension after the first one.

The rest of the game has been superb though, if thats not clear.