Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Jarmak posted:

This is a terrible sample that doesn't tell us anything. You could just as easily argue it shows a week over week increase because this number is cyclical.

No!!! The game with 450,000 peak players is dying!!!! It's basically dead already ;!! Like artifact, a totally different game that never broke 30k concurrent players in an alpha!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
so what happens with all your faction gear when you switch factions? do you have to start all over and grind up tokens and rep agian?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Character created :gritin:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Demon Of The Fall posted:

so what happens with all your faction gear when you switch factions? do you have to start all over and grind up tokens and rep agian?

Keeps the gear, but yup from scratch

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Man I am already level 30 on Barzir server. I don't want to start again from 1 :(

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

This is a terrible sample that doesn't tell us anything. You could just as easily argue it shows a week over week increase because this number is cyclical.

what magic numbers are you looking for op? this cycle looks pretty clear idk (game beats other games itt)

Demon Of The Fall posted:

tokens are rip

GaussianCopula posted:

It's gonna be the Artifact of MMOs. Hyped by streamers but bad gameplay that supposedly appeals to "gamers", who don't like all that QoL Blizzard bullshit, only to quit the game after a few days because it turns out that nostalgia is one hell of a drug.

record keeping because lol. lmao

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I don’t think anyone here doesn’t realize this game has serious issues with progression, grind, lack of content like every MMO that has launched. There’s also a lot of things it does well or close to well. And there’s a hope for additional investment because Amazon.

We all know there is going to be a fall off after a few weeks. Whether this game fails longer term is completely dependent on 1) how they solve the server and transfer situation; 2) their content roadmap. Both of these are a complete crapshoot right now.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
I think we're all just so battered from being mentally abused by MMO PR Teams / Execs for the last 10 years.

No Tricks, No Traps!

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lladre posted:

Man I am already level 30 on Barzir server. I don't want to start again from 1 :(

Just keep your character up and wait and see what they say about server transfer which should be hopefully some time today. If you can then sweet profit. If not then that’d have to be up to you whether you stay where you’re at or reroll to play with goons. :(

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I feel that the base game regarding the graphics, sound, netcode, zone layout, general atmosphere and the general mechanism of weapons skills driving the class etc are all incredibly solid and a good foundation for an MMO.

There's lots to improve but at its core it seems good. The real question is if they want to improve upon it or just open up cosmetic cash shops and try to milk whales until its not worth keeping the servers open.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Lawlicaust posted:

I don’t think anyone here doesn’t realize this game has serious issues with progression, grind, lack of content like every MMO that has launched. There’s also a lot of things it does well or close to well. And there’s a hope for additional investment because Amazon.

We all know there is going to be a fall off after a few weeks. Whether this game fails longer term is completely dependent on 1) how they solve the server and transfer situation; 2) their content roadmap. Both of these are a complete crapshoot right now.

Pretty much this - everyone of my friends came into NW with the expectations to get at least a month or two out of it and then put it down and wait for raids and other content.

And if there isn't other content - oh well - we won't pick it back up. I am not going to shed a single tear over getting ~2 months out of a $40 game.

Barreft posted:

There's literally no reason to play this game unless you're in a big guild and want to grief ppl and control the whole area and feel like big boys. There's nothing else to it.

Oh poo poo Metroid Dread just unlocked, gonna play that. Have fun collecting 2k hemp for no reason other than something to do.

poo poo like this is a pretty perverse perspective of what there is to do in the game. Same kind of bullshit has been said about EVE and frankly most other MMOs with some twists.

NW has a lot of flaws and absolutely lacks end game content - hell the entire map is basically what - about a 1/10th of ESO?

But NW also gets lots of things right and better than any other MMO. The combat feel in NW is better than any other MMO I have played since...hell Tabula Rasa? The engagement range is fantastic and the hitboxes actually matter - it's an MMO with actual headshots - not the floaty swinging at a hitbox the size of a truck combat of ESO.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

FileNotFound posted:

But NW also gets lots of things right and better than any other MMO. The combat feel in NW is better than any other MMO I have played since...hell Tabula Rasa? The engagement range is fantastic and the hitboxes actually matter - it's an MMO with actual headshots - not the floaty swinging at a hitbox the size of a truck combat of ESO.

Outside of the weird z-axis issues where combat becomes a total shitshow on stairs, it really is crazy how accurate the hitboxes have been. Dodging an arrow because you used the spear swipe right as they fired is pretty neat.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I feel like I got my money's worth so far, even if it was just busy work. My hope is that they eventually lean into the RuneScape comparison and start adding in things like wilderness, mini games, etc.

But it's Amazon, so they will probably add some generic raids and maybe try to get a quick buck with a lovely expansion before closing the doors.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Per that josh strife guy showed in passing in a video, have some gathering infographics breakdown. Gathering mind you, not crafting.

https://newworldfans.com/articles/new-world-gathering-infographics

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I can't queue for the game for more than 2 mins because I just do not trust what is going on with my gpu, the fan ramps up to max and all hell breaks loose on the menu screen / queue screen. In game all seems fine :lol:

Having fun chopping trees down and chilling though still

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The # of players is and always will be meaningless, they can consolidate servers until there is a good population. The problem is this game's garbage PvE where there are 3.5 types of quests that you repeat ad nauseum for 60 levels, the complete joke of organized pvp (in a game that massively touts and relies on organized pvp), and the total absence of modern mmo QoL features that grognards with rose-tinted glasses think they like but it's actually loving terrible.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

The # of players is and always will be meaningless, they can consolidate servers until there is a good population. The problem is this game's garbage PvE where there are 3.5 types of quests that you repeat ad nauseum for 60 levels, the complete joke of organized pvp (in a game that massively touts and relies on organized pvp), and the total absence of modern mmo QoL features that grognards with rose-tinted glasses think they like but it's actually loving terrible.

I agree with all of this, it's just that against my better judgment I truly believe Amazon will eventually fix these problems. The issue with that is that I don't know when.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
For me, the most important thing for an MMO are the core systems like how combat feels, skill progression, netcode, etc. Basically, is the game fun to play? You can always add more content later, and lack of direction is a potential concern, but I feel at this game’s core the question “is this fun to play?” drove the development. That, to me, gives it a lot of promise and I really hope it can deliver long term.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I want it to crash and burn so jeff cant go to the moon

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I've been playing for approximately one hour every night and that seems like the perfect amount of time. Do two quests, pick some dank buds for cash and experience, log off and do something else.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I've been playing for approximately one hour every night and that seems like the perfect amount of time. Do two quests, pick some dank buds for cash and experience, log off and do something else.

How dare you play a video game like you have an actual life!

I'm about the same, I putz about while "working" then put the game down. When taken in small, controlled doses, this game is great and will provide months of fun for most people.

The key with this game, and many others, is to put it down regularly.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

peter gabriel posted:

I can't queue for the game for more than 2 mins because I just do not trust what is going on with my gpu, the fan ramps up to max and all hell breaks loose on the menu screen / queue screen. In game all seems fine :lol:

Having fun chopping trees down and chilling though still

I was getting a lot of fan usage on my gpu too until I capped my fps (via the in-game option) to 60. Now it doesn’t sound like my pc is going to take off. I’m guessing this game stresses things a lot more than others.

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

i agree the npcs may be a bit stale in terms of design, but i find combat and the situations i get in are rarely stale and pretty dynamic

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ASAPI posted:

How dare you play a video game like you have an actual life!

I'm about the same, I putz about while "working" then put the game down. When taken in small, controlled doses, this game is great and will provide months of fun for most people.

The key with this game, and many others, is to put it down regularly.

It's really perfect for my schedule. People look down on dailies but when I was playing Sword of Legends Online I could do all the valuable quests of the day in a single hour, and then a bit of less valuable mainline quests if I had time left over. It's kind of the same thing here, do a couple high value quests and then mess around til I start to get bored or I'm needed elsewhere.

With kids I just don't have the time blocks to do longer instances or raids unless I schedule them, which is why I dropped SOLO. MMOs made up of 15 minute chunks are basically the best case scenario for me.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

jiffynuts posted:

I was getting a lot of fan usage on my gpu too until I capped my fps (via the in-game option) to 60. Now it doesn’t sound like my pc is going to take off. I’m guessing this game stresses things a lot more than others.

Yeah I did that before anything else but it still hammers the poo poo out of my gpu on menu screens, game runs fine but once in.
It's funny to me having an uber extreme menu screen for some reason

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick
Hold up…

This is just Albion online with a different shader and camera angle.

I knew something felt too similar.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It's all just EQ in different engines

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mustache Ride posted:

It's just Ultima online but updated kind of

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

BadLlama posted:

Forget the moon. He wants to ride that dick shaped rocket all the way to uranus

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
He can't even get a rocket to stay off earth yet. I don't think him getting to the moon is happening any time soon. SpaceX is just eating up what market there is.

Edit: the cheevos are disturbing at times though. Restarted steam just to make sure, but apparently the cheevo for crafting 100 weaponsmithing items has me at being a 3%-er for doing that. I guess everyone is spear/musket/bow/rapier so the other weapons are not crafted as much.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 8, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BadLlama posted:

I mean, just want for Jeff to literally crash and burn

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Mustache Ride posted:

I would unironically play the gently caress out of EQ all over again if it looked and played like NW does.

EQ rangers with NW bow mechanics, yes please.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't disagree with any of this but we've been saying it for two years and despite that NW went big anyway so I'm done with doubting these guys

If it does die off ok fine, non-subscription games are kind of expected to eventually anyway

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

my brain worms are preventing me from playing this game until details about the server transfers drop just in case I do have to reroll on Plancta lol

real missed opportunity to not allow transmog for non-cash-shop items, though. Some of these default armors look really nice, like the drowned pirate looking outfits or the hooded robes. And, you know, dyes. Can you even dye the armor appearances? That's about the only thing preventing me from grabbing the dracula set lol

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Good to see after 25 pages there’s still folks who aren’t playing the game wasting their valuable time screaming “stop enjoying this!“ at the rest of us lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pandaal posted:

Good to see after 25 pages there’s still folks who aren’t playing the game wasting their valuable time screaming “stop enjoying this!“ at the rest of us lol

gently caress off with this poo poo.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

It's a shame that faction armor is so easy to get because people don't get to run around looking like this

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Pandaal posted:

this happens in pretty much every games thread, but especially mmos

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Phoix posted:

It's a shame that faction armor is so easy to get because people don't get to run around looking like this

yeah i kind of dont really like the way marauder faction gear looks, at least the heavy and medium stuff. it's too green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Phoix posted:

Nah, I pretty much look like I got all my gear at goodwill cause - I did. I don't see why I'd buy faction armor right now given that blues are being sold for under 50g a piece.