Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

sean10mm posted:

This might be a dumb question couple of questions:

1) Does anybody else not like the heavily charred taste note in Wild Turkey 101? Or do other people not even taste it in the first place?
2) Do the higher end Wild Turkey/Russell's Reserve products have it?

It might just be me, but I'd love WT101 instead of just like it OK if it didn't have that "dropped a cookie in a fire until it turns into charcoal" thing going on that I don't taste in other bourbons.

I don't taste what you are but I love WT101 and can't stand Rare Breed. To me it just tastes strongly as if you were chewing on lightly toasted wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Scythe posted:

Re: whiskey chat: My local found a case of dusty Johnnie Green Label and put it out for relatively cheap; it's such a nice whisky. Would be a great "intro to scotch" since it's such a good all-rounder.

Their best normal expression by far.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I really like Rare Breed actually. I just got a backup bottle recently because it's like the last affordable cask strength bourbon here. Might not last.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

spankmeister posted:

Compass Box has a new addition to their core range:

I haven't seen many reviews of this yet, which I usually check before buying something, but I've never had a bad bottle of Compass Box, so I felt comfortable to buy it sight unseen. It also helped that the price was right, about €40.

Has anyone tried it already?

I believe this is their first product that is made mostly from spirit that they aged themselves. Which is a brilliant move IMO because sourcing casks of whisky these days is incredibly expensive. Compass Box (and a few other independents) have had the foresight to start buying fresh distillate from the distilleries and aging them in their own casks.

This is the makeup:

39% Linkwood, 29% Clynelish, 20% Benrinnes, all first-fill bourbon barrel aged, 8% from an "undisclosed distillery near the village of Aberlour"*, 2% Caol Ila from first-fill bourbon barrels and 2% of their requisite Highland Malt Blend that they put in everything.

Most of it is 8YO, but the "near Aberlour" is 6yo and the highland blend is 10yo.

This is right up my alley. I love Linkwood, I love Clynelish even more and the rest isn't half bad either. Having them be bourbon matured and a bit younger is the right move too IMO, to bring out the fruitiness of the spirit.

*Distilleries near Aberlour: Aberlour, Craigellachie, Macallan, GlenAllachie. Could be any of these imo.

P.S: if it sounds like I'm a fanboy, well it's because I am lol.

Reckon the 'near Aberlour' malt might be Glenfarclas.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

biglads posted:

Reckon the 'near Aberlour' malt might be Glenfarclas.

Hmm might be, hadn't considered it. Is that just a guess or an informed one?

In the meantime I tried the whisky and it does what it says on the tin. It's like an apple orchard in a bottle. Very fruity and floral. Sweet and a bit spicy on the palate. Some light vanilla. Unashamedly spirit-driven. Has a touch of that clynelish waxiness.
A liiiitle bit rough around the edges, so it might not please everyone, but I quite like it.

Will be interesting to see how this one develops. If they'll change te recipe as the spirit they laid down ages. I personally think it could do with 2 more years in the cask.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 29, 2021

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

spankmeister posted:

Hmm might be, hadn't considered it. Is that just a guess or an informed one?

In the meantime I tried the whisky and it does what it says on the tin. It's like an apple orchard in a bottle. Very fruity and floral. Sweet and a bit spicy on the palate. Some light vanilla. Unashamedly spirit-driven. Has a touch of that clynelish waxiness.
A liiiitle bit rough around the edges, so it might not please everyone, but I quite like it.

Will be interesting to see how this one develops. If they'll change te recipe as the spirit they laid down ages. I personally think it could do with 2 more years in the cask.

Any of the others near Aberlour wouldn't bother hiding it, other than Macallan and good luck to Compass Box in getting that at a sensible price. Glenfarclas always insists that their name not get used in IBs, for instance I have an OMC 1966 Glenfarclas that is labelled as from "Speyside's oldest family owned and run distillery" or similar. It's only a couple of miles down the road from Aberlour too.

It sounds really nice though and I'll keep a look out for it.

biglads fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 29, 2021

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

sean10mm posted:

This might be a dumb question couple of questions:

1) Does anybody else not like the heavily charred taste note in Wild Turkey 101? Or do other people not even taste it in the first place?
2) Do the higher end Wild Turkey/Russell's Reserve products have it?

It might just be me, but I'd love WT101 instead of just like it OK if it didn't have that "dropped a cookie in a fire until it turns into charcoal" thing going on that I don't taste in other bourbons.

I don't get a ton of char from WT101 (beyond the typical bourbon barrel character). It is less sweet than a lot of bourbons on my palate, so there may get more of the underlying "character" than some other bourbons.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I've got a bottle of Rare Breed and I like it well enough that I'm nursing it down to a 1/4 bottle. I didn't notice any real char or bitterness in it, either.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I got a bit of char taste in WT that my best friend’s dad used to buy by the case for business associates and loggers. I don’t think there even were different types of WT back in 1990 when I noticed it, though. I still have a bottle permanently in the back of my cabinet for mixing, but the 101 just plain tastes better neat or rocks.

‘course, when I noticed the char taste I was 15 and drowned it in soda because of the char, but I got over that pretty quickly. I think, with no proof, that your brain associates the “feeling’ good buzz” with the particular flavors of alcohol you drink commonly, though. My first beer was gross, same for vodka and tequila. As I got older and legal-er enough to buy what I like instead of whatever we could pilfer, my tastebuds had matured/tolerated more. But that buzz “trained” my brain like one of Pavlov’s mutts so even thinking or seeing a good bourbon in a forum post makes me thirsty 😁

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Fantastic balance on EW12. This is my first time trying it, for some reason.
It's no Ken's Choice but it doesn't cost $800 either. Instead, it was like $37.
Blanton's Gold isn't as widely available as it used to be since it got "discovered" by people stationed in Japan. But they haven't found out about this one yet.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 1, 2021

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

zmcnulty posted:

Fantastic balance on EW12. This is my first time trying it, for some reason.
It's no Ken's Choice but it doesn't cost $800 either. Instead, it was like $37.
Blanton's Gold isn't as widely available as it used to be since it got "discovered" by people stationed in Japan. But they haven't found out about this one yet.

They sell this at the Louisville tasting room for like $120 😒

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
I've never paid attention to the release of a new whiskey so this very well may be a stupid question but since High West's Midwinter is supposed to be released today does that mean it's going to start showing up on shelves now? Or is that when it'll start being sent out from the distillery? I got a bottle as a gift a few years ago and am kicking myself for not picking up a bottle or two when I saw it sitting on shelves last year.

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I dress like a girl and drink like a man. Please date-rape me.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

They sell this at the Louisville tasting room for like $120 😒

Yeah, I tried EW12 at a Heaven Hill tour earlier this year and we ended up buying a bottle (probably because we were already drunk by the last tasting). I'd happily pick it up for $40 per bottle but not the ~$90 we paid.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Horn posted:

I've never paid attention to the release of a new whiskey so this very well may be a stupid question but since High West's Midwinter is supposed to be released today does that mean it's going to start showing up on shelves now? Or is that when it'll start being sent out from the distillery? I got a bottle as a gift a few years ago and am kicking myself for not picking up a bottle or two when I saw it sitting on shelves last year.

It released at the distillery today. It should start showing up elsewhere throughout October. I think the bottle I got the year before last hit the shelves here in WI right around Halloween.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Horn posted:

I've never had it. I saw it at a few places last year, but "didn't like rye". Year later and that's mostly what I buy. Feel like a sucker. There's one store with a bottle for $400. I do not want it that bad.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Nimmy posted:

I've never had it. I saw it at a few places last year, but "didn't like rye". Year later and that's mostly what I buy. Feel like a sucker. There's one store with a bottle for $400. I do not want it that bad.

I’m in the same boat with rye these days. I have bottles of bourbon on my shelf that haven’t been touched in months but I killed a whole bottle of Willett 4 in just Sept/Oct.

I have a MWND about 80% full that I’m hesitant to pour because I know that bottle won’t last the month when I start drinking it again.

I’ve been thinking of getting something new and nice to crack when my daughter is born but getting anything interesting right now requires too much hunting or paying 2-3x MSRP at best. Anything released recently that is really nice and actually on shelves for more than a few days?

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Lawlicaust posted:

I’m in the same boat with rye these days. I have bottles of bourbon on my shelf that haven’t been touched in months but I killed a whole bottle of Willett 4 in just Sept/Oct.

I have a MWND about 80% full that I’m hesitant to pour because I know that bottle won’t last the month when I start drinking it again.

I’ve been thinking of getting something new and nice to crack when my daughter is born but getting anything interesting right now requires too much hunting or paying 2-3x MSRP at best. Anything released recently that is really nice and actually on shelves for more than a few days?

The Willett Blackened is pretty drat expensive, but I've seen it around. It's a 6 year Willett rye with a Madeira finish.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Finally got a few more:

Gooderham & Worts Canadian Whisky - $39.95 - Thanks to coiol for the recommendation. Absolutely right, definitely drinkable neat, nice and rich. Not quite spicy, but slightly more sweet thanks to the four grain mix. That is to say, not as sweet as a sherried whisky, but a very nice glass nonetheless.

Canadian Rockies 17-year-old - $96.50 - I went out on a limb on this one, as I've never spent this much on domestic whisky at all, but I figured if it's aged 17 years, then I'm at least getting something. This is definitely unlike any aged whisky I've ever head. Very light, very clean. I didn't find out until after I opened this on election day (OK, a day or two before the last election to let it breathe), but it's made from corn. I'm going to assume that unlike bourbon barrels, these were not fresh-charred ones, but don't quote me on that as I'm pulling that one out of my rear end. Still, not nearly as sweet as bourbon but just as light as certain Speyside scotches, minus a a level of fruitiness. If I've ever said that a nice rye whisky or Islay malt is unlike anything anyone produces, then this is similar, but from the opposite spectrum. At 100 proof, it tolerates slightly more water than the G&W, which was only about 90, but I don't think it needs really that much. Like I said, it's very light.

I have three more, not to mention the few different duty-free bottles I forgot I had in the basement, but I'll keep working through the Canadian Rockies for now. I should go to bed, but ah to hell with it, one more on my 35th birthday.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Horn posted:

Also, good luck finding it.

It’s another one that secondary markets are going nuts for.

I tried it at our local speakeasy and I thought sazerac was better.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I got a bottle of High West’s Double Rye, as I’ve gotten so into high proof bourbons that I thought I should probably save myself some cash and start exploring rye more. But it turns out all the praise I’ve heard about Double Rye comes from before High West got bought out and switched their 16 year blend for an in-house 4 year.

It isn’t bad. It’s a fair whiskey for the price and a nice sipper. But it won’t stand up in a cocktail, not even an old fashioned.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I got a bottle of High West’s Double Rye, as I’ve gotten so into high proof bourbons that I thought I should probably save myself some cash and start exploring rye more. But it turns out all the praise I’ve heard about Double Rye comes from before High West got bought out and switched their 16 year blend for an in-house 4 year.

It isn’t bad. It’s a fair whiskey for the price and a nice sipper. But it won’t stand up in a cocktail, not even an old fashioned.

I think it tastes like toothpaste.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Went on a mini whiskey safari today to a few different shops. Ended up with a bottle of Eagle Rare, an old label bottle of OF1920, and the splurge was a bottle of Blue Run rye. I’m trying to do a sober October but couldn’t resist a pour of the Blue Run and it’s really good.

I also found out that one of my regular spots has a store pick Weller blue label en route and another store supposedly has a few bottles of Willet Family Estate 4yo rye in the back office that I need to call about tomorrow when the manager is in.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Looking for more recommendations on stuff aged in port casks, ideally less than $100-120 before taxes. It doesn't have to be scotch. Last time I was recommended glenmorangie quinta ruban, dalmore portwood reserve, and glendronach 10 portwood. The glenmorangie didn't really hit what I was looking for, but it was still a nice whiskey and very affordable. The glendronach's nose was good, but it didn't reach the same bar on the palate. The dalmore was my favorite all around other than it being the most expensive of the 3.

I actually haven't had angel's envy, but maybe I should. It's not that expensive anyways.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

gwrtheyrn posted:

I actually haven't had angel's envy, but maybe I should. It's not that expensive anyways.

It is the first thing that springs to mind

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

No George T Stagg release this year. I imagine its lack will make the other BTAC stuff even more expensive and hard to find. No mention of Stagg Jr.

gwrtheyrn posted:

It’s finished rather than aged in port (and rum, and cabernet) barrels but maybe try Barrell Dovetail. It’s about $80 and really good.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 8, 2021

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Lawen posted:

No George T Stagg release this year. I imagine its lack will make the other BTAC stuff even more expensive and hard to find. No mention of Stagg Jr.

Secondary on 2020 GTS is already approaching $1000, in January it was around $600
It's completely absurd at this point - plenty of great $50 bottles on the shelf

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Secondary on 2020 GTS is already approaching $1000, in January it was around $600

:lol: Goddamn idg paying that much for anything I'm going to consume.

Edit: I guess I used to think that about $100 bottles but Remus Reserve and Midwinter Night's Dram were def worth it at that price point. But still, rent money for a bottle of bourbon, dang.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 8, 2021

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
:lol: if you think most of those bottles are being consumed instead of put on a shelf

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Toebone posted:

:lol: if you think most of those bottles are being consumed instead of put on a shelf

:negative: fair. I feel like that's even worse.

Also, is anyone actually buying the bottles of pappy priced at like $25k or is the liquor store owner hoping for a fire and insurance payout?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Horn posted:

Typically new releases take a few weeks to work their way across the country. There are people that track it state by state for stuff like BTAC. BTAC seems to follow the general rules of whiskey distribution in that it's subject to all sorts of arbitrary nonsense like showing up in Nevada before it reaches Pennsylvania or what have you. Coming from Utah, I expect High West stuff to be available on the west coast and in the mountain states first, but who knows.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Holy poo poo it was sitting around $400 last I checked (a few years back). Complete madness.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

At a certain point you really have to confront “do I really want to pay a four figure opportunity cost to open this bottle on my shelf I got at MSRP”.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Lawen posted:

It’s finished rather than aged in port (and rum, and cabernet) barrels but maybe try Barrell Dovetail. It’s about $80 and really good.

It's $120 plus tax (read: like $150) here :(

I'll still probably get it, it looks interesting

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

GD_American posted:

At a certain point you really have to confront “do I really want to pay a four figure opportunity cost to open this bottle on my shelf I got at MSRP”.

This is my dilemma with stuff like my Old Bottle ECBP, 2017 THH, Old Fitz 14, or even my pile of WFP store picks
I pushed through it with my Booker's Rye as a celebratory pour for the birth of my daughter but still these other ones - when do I give up and just sell them

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I wish I had never opened my yamazaki Sherry cask

I especially wish my wife hadn’t used it in a chilli when she was out of sherry

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

gwrtheyrn posted:

It's $120 plus tax (read: like $150) here :(

I'll still probably get it, it looks interesting

I really like Dovetail but it's on the upper end of what I'd pay at $80, not worth it for $100+.

I've been stocking up on store picks lately, my locals have been crushing it. Journeyman Distillery here in Michigan has a cask strength wheat whiskey called Corsets, Whips, and Whiskey that's fantastic. Bourbon writer Fred Minnick said it was his #4 American Whiskey last year, among other rave reviews. My neighborhood store got a store pick this week and I picked up two bottles today. Sweet and smooth, like me. :wink:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Bape Culture posted:

I wish I had never opened my yamazaki Sherry cask

I especially wish my wife hadn’t used it in a chilli when she was out of sherry

https://twitter.com/nyt_first_said/status/1446483749647093766?s=21

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GD_American posted:

Yeah I feel that. I have a WLW sitting on my shelf that I would love to break open but man, I absolutely would not buy the stuff at its going rate.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Vox Nihili posted:

Complete madness.

I really like drinking good whisk(e)y, but I can't stomach paying for it. I'm much more in the Mellow Corn / WT101 camp than the Pappy camp, for example. $25 is a price I am really happy with, and I'll splash out for the occasional $50 to $100 bottle, but I've just resigned myself to never tasting any of those stratospheric bottles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

gwrtheyrn posted:

Looking for more recommendations on stuff aged in port casks, ideally less than $100-120 before taxes. It doesn't have to be scotch. Last time I was recommended glenmorangie quinta ruban, dalmore portwood reserve, and glendronach 10 portwood. The glenmorangie didn't really hit what I was looking for, but it was still a nice whiskey and very affordable. The glendronach's nose was good, but it didn't reach the same bar on the palate. The dalmore was my favorite all around other than it being the most expensive of the 3.

Woodinville Port Finish is really nice.
Spends 6 months in port casks.