Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

I liked Steep a lot so I'm kinda looking forward to Riders Republic lol
Yeah saaame :(
I played the beta for RR and I was like "Ugh fine, I am having fun."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I don't undertand how game developers screw up graphics settings up time and again. FC6 is poisoning my eyes with depth of field that apparently can't be disabled atm. Why does this even exist? Some people like having half the screen full of blurry poo poo? Why?

e: seriously though, just loving... why?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I ruthlessly disable every depth-of-field motion-blur chromatic-aberration film-grain vignetting option I can lay my hands on, and it really pisses me off when it won't let me. My eyes are poo poo enough already in real life, why should I want to add all the flaws of a lensed camera on top?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Impossible to take anything about this story seriously when I'm wearing my ridiculous rocket launcher backpack in every cutscene.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Menus slow down to a crawl in borderless windowed mode, seems to be a bug. Having to play in fullscreen is a bit annoying.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Anyone know if it's possible to earn the store credits in-game? Or is it real money only?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
How is there a not-Cuba when last game ended with nuclear war destroying the world

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Anyone know if it's possible to earn the store credits in-game? Or is it real money only?

Usually the game gives you like 300, which isn't enough to buy really anything meaningfully. There has never been a way to earn that specific currency in-game besides what you're gifted for getting off of tutorial island.

Theoretically people who preordered were *supposed* to get 2300, but that seems to either not be working, or it won't come for a week, or some such nonsense. Nobody's really clear on it and Ubisoft is either saying that no such thing was promised, and then when their own web page shows it, are saying it may take 2 weeks to arrive or some such.

Honestly the cosmetics and weapons in this game that cost real money don't look worth getting for the most part. I'm a big dumb dumb and love cosmetics so I always buy the stupid expensive edition, and the only outfit I really like is the Miami Vice-style suit. Although I will say the croc hunter gun is really good to use. The rest seems very meh at best.

Edit - Re: Credits:
Mine showed up today, I now have 2600 credits without buying anything. So, the 300 credits you get for getting off the island, and the "medium pack" preorder bonus, which works out to 2300 credits. So, people may want to check for this.

ssb fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 9, 2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Flesnolk posted:

How is there a not-Cuba when last game ended with nuclear war destroying the world

Either just Montana got nuked or they're just ignoring that ending completely.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Far Cry isn't some overarching story where games have to fit together. hth

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just want to say thank you again to everyone for turning me on the Ubisoft connect. The fact that it automatically supports stadia and Luna and you don’t even need the premium accounts to play it on is fantastic.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yep, I subscribed to the more expensive tier for a single month because I want to try out Stadia. Playing Far Cry 6 on PC, of course, because I'm not playing at 30 FPS on Stadia. But I think I'll check out Valhalla on the service, just to see how it is.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Babe Magnet posted:

I liked Steep a lot so I'm kinda looking forward to Riders Republic lol

i wanted to like steep but too much was locked behind payed addons.

Fame Douglas posted:

Yep, I subscribed to the more expensive tier for a single month because I want to try out Stadia. Playing Far Cry 6 on PC, of course, because I'm not playing at 30 FPS on Stadia. But I think I'll check out Valhalla on the service, just to see how it is.

i liked valhalla. its not perfect but its a more refined origins but with a better plot(though way way longer to its own detriment)

Fame Douglas posted:

this. they are there own stories. some of them probably share characters and possibly a universe but none of it matters.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I might've misread an earlier post that I thought said FC6 confirms 5 happened in its continuity, shows nuked SF, etc

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Fame Douglas posted:

You got the "secret" ending?

Is that just driving the boat out of map bounds north to go to the US?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Is that just driving the boat out of map bounds north to go to the US?

yes.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i liked valhalla. its not perfect but its a more refined origins but with a better plot(though way way longer to its own detriment)

I really liked Origins (and the soundtrack was amazing!), but I found that to be pretty long already. The absurd length is the main thing that kept me from Valhalla so far, especially with my completionist tendencies.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Flesnolk posted:

I might've misread an earlier post that I thought said FC6 confirms 5 happened in its continuity, shows nuked SF, etc

I didn't really understand the FC5 ending.

This is probably because I'm dumb, but it may also be because the ending of FC5 was dumb.

Did the US government nuke the cultists, or did they nuke themselves as some kind of dead-man switch / "rapture"? I know the cult had possession of at least one US nuclear missile silo.

By that point I was so annoyed with the story that I didn't think too much about it and just uninstalled.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

admataY posted:

Im few hours in and liking it ALOT more then FC 5/ New dawn .
Its amzing how better the game is when you are not abducted against your will for a bad story mission / Seed family sermon .
Also having likeable characters helps alot .

Yup, agreed, everything across the board seems better than FC5. Having a great time so far, love Guapo.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The length of Valhalla really frustrated me and I never finished it past like the fifth region. I was very sad because otherwise it would’ve been a great game. I have a family member who hasn’t ever really played video games, but really likes Norse mythology stuff. She got super sucked into Valhalla and before she knew it was 100%’ing it. She was hunting down literally everything. She finally finished it, at the 149 hour mark. She was more angry than anything at the stupid reward for some collectible eden video clip puzzle and overall the very unrewarding main story ending. I felt bad for her. That’s so many hours.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
FidelityFX Super Resolution (DLSS) resets to "Off" every time I reload the game. Pretty annoying.

WhiteHowler posted:

I didn't really understand the FC5 ending.

This is probably because I'm dumb, but it may also be because the ending of FC5 was dumb.

Did the US government nuke the cultists, or did they nuke themselves as some kind of dead-man switch / "rapture"? I know the cult had possession of at least one US nuclear missile silo.

By that point I was so annoyed with the story that I didn't think too much about it and just uninstalled.

The US was in some kind of conflict, with tensions ratcheting up more and more, and got nuked. That's how I understood it. The cult just happened to be right about the end of the world.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

The Lone Badger posted:

I ruthlessly disable every depth-of-field motion-blur chromatic-aberration film-grain vignetting option I can lay my hands on, and it really pisses me off when it won't let me. My eyes are poo poo enough already in real life, why should I want to add all the flaws of a lensed camera on top?

Same here, I don't need a game to try to poorly recreate what my eyes already do naturally. Hope they patch that soon, I was really looking forward to this game but I'm going to hold off until there's a workaround.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Fame Douglas posted:

The US was in some kind of conflict, with tensions ratcheting up more and more
Oh. Huh.

I never picked up on this, despite spending around 30 hours with the game. I'd read that there are some in-game radio broadcasts that allude to happenings in the world, but I guess I mentally tuned them out as unimportant.

Somehow I find that even more disappointing than my two theories.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

WhiteHowler posted:

Oh. Huh.

I never picked up on this, despite spending around 30 hours with the game. I'd read that there are some in-game radio broadcasts that allude to happenings in the world, but I guess I mentally tuned them out as unimportant.

Somehow I find that even more disappointing than my two theories.

I specifically listened for them in my second playthrough and heard them, although I realized I must have heard a bunch of them in my first playthrough and didn't really consider them much more than background filler at the time.

My understanding is that China nuked them rather than the other theories. It was dumb no matter who did it though. I enjoyed the game enough to play it twice, but the ending wasn't particularly good no matter how you look at it. The effective ending in 4 also sucked in its own way, where you feel like a shithead no matter who you help.

Far Cry games have bad endings I guess, but the core gameplay still hooks me.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

Either just Montana got nuked or they're just ignoring that ending completely.

I love the idea that it was just Montana and New Dawn still happened, like right over the mountain range some lady is drinking a Jamba Juice while shopping at the lady foot locker for a new set of vans that will slim her waist and the whole reason that ND is post apoc is because nobody gives a poo poo about Montana.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

FC montana is just this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38p2dORj9Ic

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

I really liked Origins (and the soundtrack was amazing!), but I found that to be pretty long already. The absurd length is the main thing that kept me from Valhalla so far, especially with my completionist tendencies.

i love origins(enough that i bought some concept art as print for it) but its like the entire last third is kind weirdly paced.

Blind Rasputin posted:

The length of Valhalla really frustrated me and I never finished it past like the fifth region. I was very sad because otherwise it would’ve been a great game. I have a family member who hasn’t ever really played video games, but really likes Norse mythology stuff. She got super sucked into Valhalla and before she knew it was 100%’ing it. She was hunting down literally everything. She finally finished it, at the 149 hour mark. She was more angry than anything at the stupid reward for some collectible eden video clip puzzle and overall the very unrewarding main story ending. I felt bad for her. That’s so many hours.

yeah i like the concept of the story and the story over all and i genuinely like eivor. etc. its too long for its own good but ireland and france dlc are ok.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 8, 2021

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Fame Douglas posted:

I mean, they do though? Far Cry doesn't have a recurring story / metaplot like the Assassin's Creed games do but there is a recurring characters who absolutely mention stuff that went down in previous games-- the CIA dude, Huntley. It's like, a tiny and completely insignificant thing but Far Cries 3, 4, and 5 are quite clearly, according to the text, all set in the same world. I've got no problem ditching that, or being like "sure they are but the ending of 5 was dumb and never happened" but it's just not correct to say the games don't fit together.

Does anyone know what counts as a checkpoint in this game? I'm super unclear about what will give me a fast travel point if I murder everyone in it and what won't.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I love Chorizo so much

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Digital Osmosis posted:

Does anyone know what counts as a checkpoint in this game? I'm super unclear about what will give me a fast travel point if I murder everyone in it and what won't.

FND bases are the big proper outposts, they're marked with big flags on the map as you discover them.

A good way to get checkpoints though is to build the hideout network at a campsite and buy all the hideout maps from there, each one is a fast travel point.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fame Douglas posted:

FidelityFX Super Resolution (DLSS) resets to "Off" every time I reload the game. Pretty annoying.

The US was in some kind of conflict, with tensions ratcheting up more and more, and got nuked. That's how I understood it. The cult just happened to be right about the end of the world.

Yeah I always like to go with the idea there was more dumb luck then any sort of actual divine inspiration.

Also I want to say if you look up the transcripts of the radio broadcasts it pretty much points to just increase in global tensions being a reason.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Digital Osmosis posted:

I mean, they do though? Far Cry doesn't have a recurring story / metaplot like the Assassin's Creed games do but there is a recurring characters who absolutely mention stuff that went down in previous games-- the CIA dude, Huntley. It's like, a tiny and completely insignificant thing but Far Cries 3, 4, and 5 are quite clearly, according to the text, all set in the same world. I've got no problem ditching that, or being like "sure they are but the ending of 5 was dumb and never happened" but it's just not correct to say the games don't fit together.

The surprising thing is that Clint Hocking recently came out and said that the antagonist of 2, The Jackal, is Jack Carver. The protagonist of Far Cry 1. The one with genetically enhanced supersoldier monkeys and is schlocky as all hell. Far Cry 2 is referenced numerous times in 4 and 5 especially.

The Far Cry universe is fuckin' weird and I think the less you try to take the games seriously and treat it as a weird acid trip murder vacation in parody land, the better your reaction to the games will be.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There's no universe, just because they have some nods to the other games in each one doesn't mean they're doing any kind of "shared world" or continuing storyline. It's pretty obvious they're all independently written.

And Far Cry 1 and 2 weren't even by the same development studio, the continuation of Far Cry 1 is Crysis because Ubisoft owned the brand name.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 8, 2021

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i always took it like it's all loosely set in a shared universe but nothing in any particular game is canon

recurring characters and references to other games are more just easter eggs than anything else

e:

Fame Douglas posted:

There's no universe, just because they have some nods to the other games in each one doesn't mean they're doing any kind of "shared world" or continuing storyline. It's pretty obvious they're all independently written.

yeah this basically

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only true continuity in the far cry games (well from three on) is Hurk.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

And Far Cry 1 and 2 weren't even by the same development studio, the continuation of Far Cry 1 is Crysis because Ubisoft owned the brand name.

I mean ultimately yeah, there's no direct continuation outside of a few returning characters and Hurk but I mean...

The Jackal's texture and model files in Far Cry 2 were literally named jackcarver even at release. Different developers or not, it was clearly an idea being bounced around during the development of 2.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Fame Douglas posted:

And it even makes sense that Hope County was a target since it had a bunch of former missile bases. It would've been on enemy intel.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I mean ultimately yeah, there's no direct continuation outside of a few returning characters and Hurk but I mean...

The Jackal's texture and model files in Far Cry 2 were literally named jackcarver even at release. Different developers or not, it was clearly an idea being bounced around during the development of 2.

Yeah, but that's still primarily an easter egg more than anything else. It's not like it has any relevance to anything happening in FC2. And knowing this also doesn't inform us about what type of personality the "Jackal" is, because there's simply not much to the character of Jack Carver in Far Cry 1.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

Yeah, but that's still primarily an easter egg more than anything else. It's not like it has any relevance to anything happening in FC2. And knowing this also doesn't inform us about what type of personality the "Jackal" is, because there's simply not much to the character of Jack Carver in Far Cry 1.

Sure there is. We know he's an idiot with awful fashion sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Fame Douglas posted:

There were also some heavy implications/hints in FC5 that the cult triggered the apocalypse themselves by launching a nuke that people found by digging into the game's locations, lore, and doing some deductive reasoning about the final boss fight where the cult leader starts ranting about how we've triggered Armageddon by trying to bring him to justice after we refuse to back down in trying to enforce the law on a bunch of hyper authoritarian cultist nutcases that murder anyone not in their in group.

The theory is that that's why we see a nuke go off in the ending. That was the cult itself nuking Hope County or a hallucination as your subconscious tried to tell you what was really going on. The way the magical hallucinogenic drugs works could have meant that it was a shared group hallucination brought on by the cult leaders rant to trick the US into starting a nuclear war.

Basically, a case of cultists doubling down on their beliefs after they were proven wrong that the apocalypse wasn't going to happen on it's own and they weren't the chosen people. Which is entirely accurate to how cults work and fits Far Cry's over the top critique of things.

Meaning that in any scenario it's still the usual downer ending FC games have. Nothing you do mattered in the long run, aside from helping a few people survive that almost certainly wouldn't have otherwise. Even if you walk away at the start and get the secret ending the cult's managed to infiltrate at least one nuclear missile silo so they'll push things to the point that they boil over by launching a nuke to trigger MAD protocols once they're ready for the apocalypse. All you did by staying and fighting them was buy everyone a bit more time and make sure that the cult didn't emerge into the new post apocalyptic world as an organized superpower. Which I suppose is at least somewhat of a bittersweet ending bordering on being a downer.

FC6 might have retconned that however. gently caress that game if they did. Having it just be a deus ex nukes drop thing where the cultists were right all along is bullshit.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 8, 2021