Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I was pretty gungho about getting a MBP this fall, but I ended up getting an iPad Mini and I think I kinda want a desktop mac? Is there any real benefit to thermals with apple's new direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

anothergod posted:

I was pretty gungho about getting a MBP this fall, but I ended up getting an iPad Mini and I think I kinda want a desktop mac? Is there any real benefit to thermals with apple's new direction?

AFAIK it should be the exact same as the MBP.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

anothergod posted:

Yeah Apple silicon runs demonstrably cooler than intel. What that means in products actually built for M1 and not retrofitted with it remains to be seen.

they’ve been able to completely remove a fan for one notebook moving from intel to Apple silicon, while also increasing performance and battery life. So it’s pretty promising so far.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'll have to decide whether to keep my current 13" M1 MBP or trade it in for a 14" MBP M1X edition!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Give me a big beefy MBP that can drive three external monitors and I will pay however much I have to.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

anothergod posted:

They put the M1 in an iPad Pro, a sealed case with no vents at all, and it runs like a champ. Thermals are very efficient.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

italian quid posted:

ya iirc the price was the same, it seemed like a stupidly good deal for what you got when I bought mine.

That’s not entirely true, the Mac Mini dropped in price by $100!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Come on come on, M1X big iMac or Mac Mini M1X with more ports and stuff and can drive a fuckoff big widescreen monitor already. Daddy needs a new computer.

At this point, I'm just assuming that the various chip shortages are delaying large scale rollout. I think these machines are going to be popular, although maybe that's just echo from my usual circles.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
edit: sorry, duplicate.

Every once and a while when I click my external mouse, it seems to register two clicks. Annoying.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Small White Dragon posted:

edit: sorry, duplicate.

Every once and a while when I click my external mouse, it seems to register two clicks. Annoying.

By any chance is it a Logitech?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Fedule posted:

By any chance is it a Logitech?

Microsoft multitouch mouse. I wanted one with a USB dongle because I can swap a single USB-C cable between laptops and viola -- monitor, keyboard, mouse, everything is now connected.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://twitter.com/ColbySheets/status/1445513559580893200?s=20

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Awesome! Who said M1 iMacs don't have height adjustable stands :D

If only the screen was larger

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
G4 was/is the best looking Mac.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Quicksilver was nicer than the mirror door as well

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

punk rebel ecks posted:

G4 was/is the best looking Mac.

I was just thinking about how high-end places would buy them to sit on tables and just play slide shows.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
Can an external drive be partitioned into two: one being exFat and the other being macOS Extended?

I have a 1 TB external SSD. I want to create a 984 GB exFat partition for general data storage purposes and a 16 GB macOS Extended bootable partition so I can image Monterey installer onto it to perform a clean install. So far, it doesn't look like this is possible. Any other alternatives if I want to do a clean install from USB (besides formatting the whole external as macOS Extended)?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Secx posted:

Can an external drive be partitioned into two: one being exFat and the other being macOS Extended?

I have a 1 TB external SSD. I want to create a 984 GB exFat partition for general data storage purposes and a 16 GB macOS Extended bootable partition so I can image Monterey installer onto it to perform a clean install. So far, it doesn't look like this is possible. Any other alternatives if I want to do a clean install from USB (besides formatting the whole external as macOS Extended)?

Are you using GPT for the drive?

This guy does it here:

https://streamable.com/hfwm1

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Secx posted:

We've got a bunch of drives with a bootable MacOS install on one partition along with a data drive on a separate partition so I don't see why you couldn't do it. As long as the disk is GPT you should be able to create a partition with whatever name you want (e.g. just call it Installer or something like that) and then use Apple's createinstallmedia command to rewrite that specific partition as a bootable installer.

The command for the Big Sur installer is below but all you'd need to do is change the path for the actual Monterey installer (presumably from the public beta or whatever) and replace the volume name with whatever you ended up calling the partition:
code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Installer --nointeraction
You might need to go into Recovery mode and enable booting from external devices plus turn down the boot security before it'll actually let you pick it as a startup disk.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Three Olives posted:

I was just thinking about how high-end places would buy them to sit on tables and just play slide shows.

The Macworld Expo when they were first shown to the public, there were companies on the show floor selling these stands for them that looked like those Star Wars prequel rolling droids or something, with big curved polished metal legs that matched the iMac's stalk diameter, and the little round platform that the iMac sat on was the bottom half of a sphere so the iMac looked like it was completing it.

God that was a time

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

quote:

The Gateway Profile was one of the few Wintel competitors to the iMac G4 in the all-in-one LCD computer market. A reviewer noted that the Profile had better processing power, due to its Intel Pentium 4, whereas the iMac was hampered because its G4 chip lacked the 1 MB L2 cache found on the higher-end Power Mac. The iMac had clear advantages in LCD screen quality (it uses a digital LCD as opposed to an analog LCD), ergonomics (particularly the flexible monitor arm), and multimedia. The reviewer concluded that the iMac worked well as an introduction to the Macintosh ecosystem, but noted that their relatively high prices were approaching that of laptops, which were portable and had higher resolution LCD screens.[2]

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

lol gag

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

That was a really fun time in the Mac/PC "war", "WINDOWS PCS ARE OBJECTIVELY BETTER, SEE MY BULLET POINTS!" and consumers were like "So, there is just like this one cord that works for everything? Really?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXnJraKM3k

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
drat. Excellent use of PeeWee’s Big Adventure music.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Three Olives posted:

That was a really fun time in the Mac/PC "war", "WINDOWS PCS ARE OBJECTIVELY BETTER, SEE MY BULLET POINTS!" and consumers were like "So, there is just like this one cord that works for everything? Really?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXnJraKM3k

also it was the year of linux on the desktop

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

also it was the year of linux on the desktop

Actually 2022 is the year of the Linux desktop with the release of the steam deck lol.

It’s gonna increase the Linux user base 10 fold.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I remember being so excited about the new iMac reveal, that became the G4 iMac, and while i liked it, I ended up going and buying a Quicksilver G4 PowerMac from the Apple "section" of CompUSA since they were discounting the Quicksilvers with the release/announcement of updated PowerMacs.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Savage.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Actually 2022 is the year of the Linux desktop with the release of the steam deck lol.

It’s gonna increase the Linux user base 10 fold.

Chrom(e/ium) OS, but Linux nerds would rather salt the earth than admit that Chrom(e/ium) OS is actually Linux in any form they envisioned (spending hours getting a GUI to function terribly).

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Tangentially related: why do people say MacOS is linux?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Because they don't know what they're talking about?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

anothergod posted:

“Not Windows” is enough of a criteria for people to call it “just a Linux distro”

Dumdums also call it “Unix” as if that means anything at all, like there’s a box on a shelf at Best Buy that says “Unix” and Apple made some changes like they’re a modder on Nexusmods or something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jokes posted:

“Not Windows” is enough of a criteria for people to call it “just a Linux distro”

Dumdums also call it “Unix” as if that means anything at all, like there’s a box on a shelf at Best Buy that says “Unix” and Apple made some changes like they’re a modder on Nexusmods or something.

I mean that was what happened ages ago. I don't think MacOS lost POSIX compatibility or maybe it technically lost it with the App Store and stuff like that, but since OS X it has been a variant of Unix at heart. Which meant a lot to the professional base in various disciplines at times, Apple doesn't seem to care a whole lot recently though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Is MacOS still based on the Mach Kernel?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

anothergod posted:

because it’s a UNIX derivative, which is a distinction that mattered way more in the 90s/early 00s when your options were Windows/DOS, NEXT, Macintosh OS, Sun/Oracle, and a bunch of poo poo that nobody remembers anymore

Instead of being based on the legacy Mac stuff at the time, MacOS (then Mac OS X) was built on NEXTstep

Am I summarizing this right? I know Jack and poo poo about operating systems

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Is MacOS still based on the Mach Kernel?

Mach is part of the core of the XNU kernel that Darwin/macOS uses, yes. It’s a hybrid kernel in that there’s also a BSD layer in there and it’s not really a micro kernel in the traditional sense.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But for the purposes of anyone who is genuinely asking, Linux is not Unix, and MacOS contains no Linux.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Arivia posted:

I mean that was what happened ages ago. I don't think MacOS lost POSIX compatibility or maybe it technically lost it with the App Store and stuff like that, but since OS X it has been a variant of Unix at heart. Which meant a lot to the professional base in various disciplines at times, Apple doesn't seem to care a whole lot recently though.

It's apparently unix 03 compliant, but not unix v7 (versions 3 and 4 of the single unix specification) but hell if I know what that actually means, besides that it's a unix system.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ok Comboomer posted:

Am I summarizing this right? I know Jack and poo poo about operating systems

This is the best position to be in, see YOSPOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

anothergod posted:

GUYS ITS FREEBSD :coolfish: