Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
I had to skip a bunch of pages but I hope this hasn't been posted yet cause I got a laugh out of it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
That's a pretty good summation, really

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ajaxify posted:

I had to skip a bunch of pages but I hope this hasn't been posted yet cause I got a laugh out of it

The other excellent summary I know of is from Tumblr

quote:

tng: welcome aboard the starship enterprise, a luxury cruise ship drifting among the stars. our crew contains notable elements of Diversity and our captain gets pegged by an omniscient being from another dimension. enjoy the soft jazz concerts, shakespeare performances, and infinitely powerful holodecks at your leisure

ds9: hop aboard Station On Fire Trash Can bitch. does our poo poo work? no. is this a safe place to live? gently caress no. senior officers include Space Dad, Lesbian Terrorist, Trans Worm, Goo, Dr. Twink, and Perpetually Confused White Guy. if you want to get dragged into an elaborate crime syndicate, contract a deadly space disease, or get stabbed in a barfight, you’ve come to the right place. also, holosuites are for loving. yeehaw

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think they would have kept doing o'brien must suffer episodes if meaney hadn't been so ridiculously good at them.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

at some point almost every day, i can't help but think about how good DS9 is

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

punishedkissinger posted:

at some point almost every day, i can't help but think about how good DS9 is

Is it usually 20 minutes before or past the hour?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Lower Decks is so drat fun.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

just watched the most recent episode of lower decks and it's really good

this show rules

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Please allow the Lower Decks showrunner to face Alex Kurtzman in a Klingon bridge battle to detmine the owner of the franchise.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I really hope the Cerritos gets a new Vulcan ensign.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

External Organs posted:

I really hope the Cerritos gets a new Vulcan ensign.

Voq/Ash Tyler frozen in ice for however long would work so much better on Lower Decks than he ever did on Discovery. Treating his backstory as a series of escalating nonsensical gags would make much more sense than the dramatic reveals.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm 100% convinced that the Cerritos people could make a serious star trek better than Kurtzman as well. Like, it doesn't have to be whacky hijinks. It could and should be sure, but they could do anything better than him.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I don’t have much hope for Picard, but it would be neat to see a reference to the Cerritos crew at some point. Maybe a bearded Jack Quaid in a captain’s uniform has a passing line of dialogue somewhere.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

HD DAD posted:

I don’t have much hope for Picard, but it would be neat to see a reference to the Cerritos crew at some point. Maybe a bearded Jack Quaid in a captain’s uniform has a passing line of dialogue somewhere.

Yeah but would anyone in the show comment on how he’s animated, or in the future would that be considered rude?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

we watched the ds9 ep where the cardassians kidnap kira and give her a cardassian makeover. then they try to convince both her and a cardassian leader with a missing daughter that she's the missing daughter so that the leader will help her escape (she doesn't believe she's the daughter) the obsidian order and the order can then arrest and execute him.

by the end of the episode of course everything is back to normal, but _that_ is how you do a now-im-human-now-im-not plotline. fuckin ash tyler orklingon BS *grumble grumble*

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Achmed Jones posted:

we watched the ds9 ep where the cardassians kidnap kira and give her a cardassian makeover. then they try to convince both her and a cardassian leader with a missing daughter that she's the missing daughter so that the leader will help her escape (she doesn't believe she's the daughter) the obsidian order and the order can then arrest and execute him.

by the end of the episode of course everything is back to normal, but _that_ is how you do a now-im-human-now-im-not plotline. fuckin ash tyler orklingon BS *grumble grumble*

Oh god this episode has one of my favourite DS9 moments, where Sisko biffs a bag into the room as they barge in, and the cardassians are too distracted by his gun to notice the bag is actually Odo who gets up kicks their asses. It's such a simple but galaxy brain trick, like getting past a locked security door by knocking :allears:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah but would anyone in the show comment on how he’s animated, or in the future would that be considered rude?

Perhaps someone could call him "animated" in the sense of "boisterous".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

HD DAD posted:

Hell, just toss a Cali in the background somewhere.

The season 2 model's detailed enough you could just give it a retexture and it'd hold up at medium distance in a realistic show.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Hell, just toss a Cali in the background somewhere.

The season 2 model's detailed enough you could just give it a retexture and it'd hold up at medium distance in a realistic show.

Drop the cell shading, put in a bump map for slightly dented metal, medium distance, low light with short enough cut and no-one suspects anything.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I like that Kira’s Cardassian not-dad comes back in a couple seasons

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gutcruncher posted:

I like that Kira’s Cardassian not-dad comes back in a couple seasons

also that the ancient cardassian death ritual is telling your kids who you've still got a grudge against

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

StashAugustine posted:

also that the ancient cardassian death ritual is telling your kids who you've still got a grudge against
To be honest I'm surprised that isn't a Romulan thing considering how they are with secrets.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
What's the over/under on Bezos giving Shatner an unplanned orbital cremation next week?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bezos, standing on a mountaintop as the flaming wreckage of his space ship burns through the atmosphere:

My God, what have I done?

Random executive assistant:

What you always do, turn death into a profit. Look at these ratings!

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Imagined posted:

What's the over/under on Bezos giving Shatner an unplanned orbital cremation next week?

Bezos can't get to orbit so no worries there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's also possible that bezos wants to blow up shatner just because he can. i'd believe anything bad about that inhuman freak.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Imagined posted:

24 black

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Let it ride

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm just amazed that Bezos has the stones to go up in any rocket built by people who know how he treats Amazon employees.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

DARPA posted:

Bezos can't get to orbit so no worries there.

Yeah, if it happens, it'll be a suborbital cremation.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

CainFortea posted:

I'm 100% convinced that the Cerritos people could make a serious star trek better than Kurtzman as well. Like, it doesn't have to be whacky hijinks. It could and should be sure, but they could do anything better than him.

Feral cats could make a better Star Trek than Kurtzman. The only reason Lower Decks is good is because Kurtzman has nothing to do with it because it's not prestige enough.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blistex posted:

Feral cats could make a better Star Trek than Kurtzman. The only reason Lower Decks is good is because Kurtzman has nothing to do with it because it's not prestige enough.

If we're real lucky, Strange New Worlds might turn out good because he's too busy focusing on Discovery to gently caress it over the same way.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If we're real lucky, Strange New Worlds might turn out good because he's too busy focusing on Discovery to gently caress it over the same way.

Ah yes, the Behr Manuver.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
been rewatching season 1 of enterprise and it's really not as bad as I remember. Bacula is pretty one-note in his delivery, which to be honest, makes things pretty entertaining as he is easy to imitate for laughs. Hoshi gets way more lines than I remember and she even gets to have a really nice fling with this dude who speaks Esperanto or whatever. The guest stars are doing a lot of the heavy lifting in the better episodes, especially Jeffrey Combs, but in lieu of that Trip holds up many of the scenes on his own just by being a hilarious immature George W Bush stand-in. Joelene Blaelock does the "im better than this and all you humans kinda suck" thing way better than seven, who herself always felt a little bit like a child stuck in an adult's body. T'pol doesn't really have that issue.

Also, the backing music is way better than whatever was going on in Voyager and the special effects are way better than any previous Star Trek.

it's a good show

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 9, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i really don't understand where this optimism for the children's cartoon spinoff is coming from.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i really don't understand where this optimism for the children's cartoon spinoff is coming from.

Prodigy?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, right. what the heck is strange new worlds then?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh, right. what the heck is strange new worlds then?

Captain Anson Mount and some shiny models on the Discoveryprise

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i didn't realize that was actually being made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Honestly I had expected everything to get shut down after Discovery's reception but here they all are!