Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

the Western VIP actors were all really poo poo. Really one of the only glaringly bad things of the show for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Finally finished this. Series was mostly good to great but I guess it's a popular opinion to say the ending was unsatisfying.

Also he left that kid in the orphanage for a year? And then dumps him off to a total stranger?? That also did not look like half of the share.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Paperback Writer posted:

the Western VIP actors were all really poo poo. Really one of the only glaringly bad things of the show for me.

I've seen this take a lot and don't agree with it at all. They're trashy idiots, because that's what billionaires are like. It felt very real - they are exactly the type of rear end in a top hat who would want to participate in a game like this.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I think the complaint is not that they are trashy idiots but that the acting and dialogue is bad. The VIPs speak in a way thats so far removed from the otherwise naturalistic dialogue of the rest of the show that its distracting. If they said the same lines, but without doing a fake rich guy in a looney toons accent, it'd probably be fine. Or if they used that voice style but said stuff that was less cringe, it'd be fine. Doing both though was pretty bad contrasted with the rest of the show. Maybe someone is gonna write an article about how that contrast is actually good and shows a class divide but I dunno, they got western actors who only appear in kdramas for those parts, they're not hollywoods best.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I liked how weird they sounded. I think it was a deliberate choice and it worked for me.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Jerkface posted:

They got western actors who only appear in kdramas for those parts, they're not hollywoods best.
Yeah I just think this it. Can’t be easy as a director to realize the foreign actors aren’t nailing the dialogue.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

AndyElusive posted:

Jesus Christ.

I wasn't prepared for Episode 6.

Like, at all. :(

That’s because all the people you liked were winning up to that point, that’s how they getcha

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt2Pl1_Bg88

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
The VIP voices were a mix of good-enough and charmingly bizarre. It helped make those scenes feel off and uncanny. Great actors would have normalized what should be an unsettling situation.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I just finished watching the series. Pretty good up until the ending, but a lot of shows have really lovely endings that should wrap up long before they do but they just stretch things out to try and tie up plot holes / plot lines.

Would have been nice to actually have any worthwhile dialog between the old man and Gi-hun at the end, as it was it was pretty much pointless... Even though it was pretty obvious to me that there was something odd about the old man even from the 1st episode...

And about the dumb cop storyline...

And honestly actually, the same could be said with the cop finding out the front man was his brother. You really learn nothing from it and I think it'd be really hard to write him back in and be like, no he didn't actually die! He managed to only get show near his heart and fall into the ocean totally conscious and able to survive because he is John McClane in season 2. Squid Game: Die harder

Also it seems pretty clear to me why the series has gotten so popular. Even though it doesn't do a lot new, the overall writing and cast is really good and carries any minor complaints on the overall show.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Also Netflix probably pays more to series creators if they leave themselves open to getting even more money if Netflix wants to order more seasons.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also Netflix probably pays more to series creators if they leave themselves open to getting even more money if Netflix wants to order more seasons.

When you have money people give you more money

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nm

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 8, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like the odds season 2 is a mess of "you thought XYZ was dead? they actually weren't!" plots is immense.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I give 10-15% odds the way they make a second season is a truly awful "actually no one died, it was actually misdirection somehow, the whole cast is back"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Have some faith, this is the show that had a vote to leave the island and they actually left the island

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I got the impression cop guy was found and incinerated? Would have to watch again but the way I remember it being cut there was a scene shortly after he gets shot of a coffin being pushed into the incinerator that I assumed was Front-Man putting his brother fully behind him.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Ninth Layer posted:

I got the impression cop guy was found and incinerated? Would have to watch again but the way I remember it being cut there was a scene shortly after he gets shot of a coffin being pushed into the incinerator that I assumed was Front-Man putting his brother fully behind him.

Pretty much just finished watching the last 2 episodes this morning so...

They didn't show the incinerator or a coffin at all until the girl was killed, so obviously it's her that's getting incarnated. But also I'm pretty sure just falling off the cliff from that height into the water would be hard to survive. Much less so if you got shot and couldn't do an Olympic dive into the water...

It was kind of funny though that the front man doesn't wear a bulletproof vest or anything being surrounded by people with guns...

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
They will say "the most popular children's game is..... make believe" and all the square and triangle guys will pull off their masks and it will just be the cast.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Jerkface posted:

I recommend Squid Game highly and if you like it then check out Alice in Borderland, which is a Japanese death game ty[pe show. One thing that I think is illuminating is the difference in aesthetic quality between the 2 shows. Japanese cinema has its stand outs for sure, but its television has really yet to reach the aesthetic level of modern prestige TV and you can feel the difference starkly if you watch both. Korean cinema has been oozing style and high level production for a while, and Squid Game definitely lives up to Korean cinematic legacy. The sets are brilliant and striking, the costuming is great, it uses a variety of interesting shots & camera angles. Alice in Borderland by contrast is quite pedestrian in its lighting, set design, etc. Both are fun shows though.

I think the ending is a bit of a let down on Squid Game compared with AiB though, as the revelation regarding who is running the games ultimately has very little impact. I think these sorts of shows need to have something either especially unique or a very strong message if they go the obvious route because spending so much time learning "its rich people loving with poor ppl" is unnecessary. Like no poo poo, does it add anything to the show? Not really and the dialogue from the rich people was incredibly bad. Its a shame about it because I think the individual stories of the contestants was pretty good and there was plenty of interpersonal drama. If the audience never really learns explicitly the secret behind the games and it still ends with 456 going back for revenge it still works! Also that killed me, just go to your daughter bro. Comparing with the ending of S1 of Alice the mystery in AIB is more relevant and interesting because of the circumstances and technology of the game itself.

I am glad this show is resonating so hard with everyone because having more money put into foreign film & tv will broaden the types of media we get to consume.

also one last thing that amused me: korean dramas love to have people yelling loudly about poo poo and this show has a bunch of it. I love seeing the idiosyncrasies of different regional media.

I feel comparing Squid Game to Alice in Borderland is unfair. One was a passion project made to be "prestige TV" from the get go, the other is a live action manga adaptation.

That said, you can definitely tell the difference between Korean and Japanese culture both on the setting and overall direction.

It's very intriguing. I wish there was some books or articles I could read that goes over these differences in great detail.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They will say "the most popular children's game is..... make believe" and all the square and triangle guys will pull off their masks and it will just be the cast.

Shut up! Just shut up! This is too horrible for me to imagine!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

That said, you can definitely tell the difference between Korean and Japanese culture both on the setting and overall direction.

Eh not really. Check out Kaiji Ultimate Survivor if you have the time.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

MiddleOne posted:

Eh not really. Check out Kaiji Ultimate Survivor if you have the time.

I've watched the anime already
Heard bad things about the live action adaptation.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Objectively i think Squid Games is a superior experience production compared to Kaiji, but it's still a fairly well made death game movie and worth watching. The main issue is the main character is an inferior actor compared to the main cast of Squid Games, but it's compelling enough to keep your interest anyway.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

My point wasn't to get into a dick-measuring contest about the two (which I both adore), it was more the part about Korean and Japanese culture being fundamentally different when the truth is that with this particular genre they adapt and learn from each other iteratively.

EDIT: Also slot in the joke about Parasite resonating worldwide because it was a commentary on capitalism somewhere here

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 8, 2021

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I feel like I was the only one who liked the ending and found it not necessarily leading to a S2.
Gi-hun is so traumatized that he stopped interacting with society entirely after getting back - he stopped caring for his daughter, he didn't care for Sae-byeong's brother or Sang-woo's mother at all, until after the meeting with Il-nam. He came back to life after seeing what he really went through. He's ready to fix everything he thinks is broken in his life... and suddenly sees someone else playing the slap-money game. The trauma awakes. Who cares what he does afterwards, we know he's still human: he's so traumatized he can't really reason with life anymore.

The cop subplot actually led to something, there's no organic point of view on what happens on the other side of the game. He's functional to the presentation, rather than the narrative.

Also - I'm kinda fanboyish regarding Korean tv and cinema, but once again I appreciate how well their acting and directing tradition can bridge the cultural gap between East Asia and western culture.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

hell, Parasite filling some of the same media property boxes definitely influenced Netflix promoting this worldwide with the laser-targeted genre system it has

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MiddleOne posted:

EDIT: Also slot in the joke about Parasite resonating worldwide because it was a commentary on capitalism somewhere here

I read this as a typo for "because it was a commentary on capitalism somewhere else" and that seemed like a really good point. Like, it was so broadly popular because it was just removed enough to be more universal.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Comparing with the ending of S1 of Alice the mystery in AIB is more relevant and interesting because of the circumstances and technology of the game itself.

What do you mean? I thought the ending was pretty "and now for more of this but maybe bigger next season!" And then spoiling the manga ending it's based on kind of leaves me thinking the premise is even less relevant? In the manga end, the whole thing is just in people's heads, there was some meteor accident, and everyone in the games who died are people who died from the accident, people who survived are ones who survive the accident. it's just a limbo/imaginary/psychic kind of shared thing somehow before people wake up or be dead in the regular world.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I read this as a typo for "because it was a commentary on capitalism somewhere else" and that seemed like a really good point. Like, it was so broadly popular because it was just removed enough to be more universal.

Some of the things in the show translate well to America even if it's understood inaccurately, the inaccurate understanding in America is true in a different, local way

Gihun's mom saying she can't afford insurance, surgery or hospital bills; South Korea has pretty good national health care, it costs $100/month on average (less for the poor, more for the rich). The insurance she cancelled was actually private supplemental insurance. National health care covers most costs but still has a copay, but not nearly as bad as American health care. Major surgery in Korea might cost the patient thousands of dollars. The fact that she couldn't afford them means she is lower economic class and doesn't even have thousands of dollars to spare.

To Americans, when she says that she can't afford insurance, it is understood to mean that she can't afford any health care at all. When she says she can't afford surgery, it is understood to Americans to mean she can't afford to lose her whole house. The danger is something that even the middle class have to worry about here.

If anything, the feeling of unfairness and the amount that the audience identifies with the characters is stronger for American audiences

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 8, 2021

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Idea: Squid game is very popular because it has visually grabbing style, a promo video that is very on the point, and from a genre that most people does not recognize or understand as a "run-of-the-mill-japanese-death-game-magna-knock-off".

The "it is an allegory of capitalism" is true, but saying that this is what draws people in is just stupid. It is something new, something different and something surprising for most of the viewers.

And yes, I had seen the Battle Royale beforehand, as an online bootleg when I was an university student. It got absolutely 0% visibility here so this is the first dip into that genre for most of the people.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Der Kyhe posted:

Idea: Squid game is very popular because it has visually grabbing style, a promo video that is very on the point, and from a genre that most people does not recognize or understand as a "run-of-the-mill-japanese-death-game-magna-knock-off".

The "it is an allegory of capitalism" is true, but saying that this is what draws people in is just stupid. It is something new, something different and something surprising for most of the viewers.

And yes, I had seen the Battle Royale beforehand, as an online bootleg when I was an university student. It got absolutely 0% visibility here so this is the first dip into that genre for most of the people.

Maybe if Battle Royale was about capitalism it would've been a bigger hit

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

That chase gets a lot of hate and I think people misremember what happened. Everyone says “haha they’re so dumb for running in a straight line, they should have run to the side” but

Shaw stumbles, looks back and it occurs to her to run to the side so she does (symbolically her crisis of faith causes her to reevaluate the course of her life)

Vickers keeps running straight and gets crushed (Vickers symbolically doesn’t course correct and is destroyed)

Then the ship stops and falls over sideways on top of Shaw anyways

Even worse, actually. Vickers immediately runs to the side, debris falls in front of her, so then she runs straight because of that since she's avoiding the debris. Running to the side is the first thing she does because she's the smartest character.

Whenever anyone complains about them running straight, I just look at them because I assume they were looking at their phones or something.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Paperback Writer posted:

Asian directors make English speaking actors talk slow and dumb and overexaggerated a lot of times too.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Khanstant posted:

What do you mean? I thought the ending was pretty "and now for more of this but maybe bigger next season!

I mean that as someone who has not read the manga or anything else about it, there is way more interest in why whatever is happening is happening in AIB compared with Squid Game. The explanation is far likelier (to me) to not be mundane.

Squid Game is far superior in the general interpersonal dynamics and back stories, as the characters are superior and better acted. AIB has a more "interesting" central mystery but the day to day acting/stories are weaker. The best one is the reveal that one of the characters is trans

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 8, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Steve Yun posted:

Some of the things in the show translate well to America even if it's understood inaccurately, the inaccurate understanding in America is true in a different, local way

Yeah, I know in korea it's a thing that building codes required basements to be bomb shelters at one point, and renting out the basement as a substandard illegal apartment is a specific signifier of where a very poor person lives. Like a trailer park would be in the US.

Parasite has tons of things about people living in basements (they live in a basement in this too) where the idea that is a pre-existing stereotype doesn't get through, but no one in the US watching it is confused at the idea it's a lovely apartment. So you get a whole framework for analogies (literal underclass/dirty water running down hill) that shine brighter because they seem whole cloth new.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Friend of mine dug up some old text books and thinks the director is referencing this girl

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Steve Yun posted:

Friend of mine dug up some old text books and thinks the director is referencing this girl

It is, I saw an interview on Fallon where they confirmed the girl was from their textbooks

Ghostnuke fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 9, 2021

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Maybe if Battle Royale was about capitalism it would've been a bigger hit

I don't know if it criticises capitalism in particular much, but it seems to be a pretty scathing critique of the Japanese education system. I think I recall that the novel has elements parodying a famous drama about a teacher, including the administrator's name.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey about AIB if it has a surprise trans character is it something I can recommend to a trans friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Sangwoo has pretty good nuance as a character.

His #1 motivation is shame

When Gihun first sees him, he avoids conversation because he’s ashamed Gihun now knows that he’s a deadbeat

When they’re doing the honeycomb game, he tries to get Gihun killed so that nobody knows he’s broke

At the very end Gihun offers a vote to end the game. Gihun doesn’t want the money anymore, he wants yo keep himself and Sangwoo alive. Sangwoo doesn’t want to live if he can’t win and have the money because going back to the outside world and everyone knowing that he’s a fraud is a fate worse than death in his mind