Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

running a power washer irl is fun as hell though, so it doesn't surprise me that a game version would be fun too

Can't help but think you'll be missing a certain tactile feel. But yeah, as I said, every real life action can be translated to a fun video game.

You just need the right people to make it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

THE BAR posted:

Can't help but think you'll be missing a certain tactile feel. But yeah, as I said, every real life action can be translated to a fun video game.

"you get suitcases and you hike across America to deliver them."

"that's it?"

"basically. It's Kojima's best work, too."

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

"that's it?"

THE BAR posted:

E:

Eh, I haven't played Death Stranding, I just heard it's not very good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm too dumb to keep up with computer tech, but I always post in the build a PC thread, and they've never done me any wrong.

I can't imagine making a game out of it though, it sounds really.. boring?

welcome to the world of [job] simulators

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

site posted:

welcome to the world of [job] simulators

Pirate is a job :colbert:

E: Okay fine, real pirating was no fun at all and mostly involved dying of diseases or starvation…

Stickman fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 8, 2021

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

THE BAR posted:

E:

You need better friends.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

THE BAR posted:

E:

It's very good at a very specific type of gameplay which means you're either gong to love it or hate it.

Much like simulators in general, really.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

THE BAR posted:

It was actually GOTY.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I mean you're free to like or dislike a game. The appeal of this thread is that there is no barrier to entry to find out. Do you like PC Building Simulator? Who knows but it's free to find out.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

THE BAR posted:

E:

i'm a fan. the online aspect to it does the whole loosely connected world thing way better than dark souls. i'm exactly the sort of tenaciously independent dick that tends to avoid engagement with those sorts of things out of stubbornness rather than fear of the mythical pubbie, but the way dude standing does it means that my tenaciousness helps other players quite a lot, i can see that happening, and their help to me slots in so seamlessly that there's no reason for me to be stubborn about accepting theirs.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 8, 2021

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You Guys posted:

Death Stranding

Well Spoony didn't like it, and that's enough for me!!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I've updated a bunch of parts on my computer for the first time in my life recently and was actually surprised at how easy it was. Granted I only replaced the GPU, power supply, put in a new M.2 and some new RAM. Doing stuff like water cooling, replacing motherboards and CPUs is a little more complicated but overall I was blown away at how easy it was. Main problem I had was ordered some RAM from Amazon that literally showed up bent in half but apart from that I was amazed. It didn't used to be that easy.

That being said I don't think I enjoyed the process QUITE enough to replicate it over and over in a video game, lol.

I also didn't really like Death Stranding, it's not an uncommon position. Seems like almost equally split between people who absolutely loved it and those who didn't like anything about it.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Yeah, generally putting the pieces together is straightforward. It’s when things don’t just work afterward that it gets frustrating for me.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Play posted:

I also didn't really like Death Stranding, it's not an uncommon position. Seems like almost equally split between people who absolutely loved it and those who didn't like anything about it.

Just so people don't misunderstand; I've never played Death Stranding, so I can't tell you whether it's good or not.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

chglcu posted:

Yeah, generally putting the pieces together is straightforward. It’s when things don’t just work afterward that it gets frustrating for me.

100%. Things are a lot more modular these days so installing is generally pretty easy. Troubleshooting is not, especially if the computer simply will not boot or go into setup.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I hope the PC building simulation game allows me to recreate what happens literally every time I open my machine up, where I put everything back together, press the power button, have a moment of horror when nothing happens and then realise i didn't switch the PSU back on

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Party Boat posted:

I hope the PC building simulation game allows me to recreate what happens literally every time I open my machine up, where I put everything back together, press the power button, have a moment of horror when nothing happens and then realise i didn't switch the PSU back on

I played it a bit, screwed in a hard drive, closed everything up, realized I needed to actually connect the hard drive with cables, and quit the game to do something else.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I want Computer Toucher Simulator, where before you can do anything you have to take the PC outside, fire up an air compressor and blow all the dust out

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I want Computer Toucher Simulator, where before you can do anything you have to take the PC outside, fire up an air compressor and blow all the dust out

all USB connections must be made twice, because it's upside down the first time

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

all USB connections must be made twice, because it's upside down the first time

Sometimes even the second time too, like, what the gently caress, am I having a stroke?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Nyaa posted:

Sometimes certain PC components like graphic card would come with a ‘free’ game along with it. :v:

Lib and let die posted:

"that's it?"

I got a 2080 shortly before everything went completely to poo poo and shortly before Death Stranding came out for Windows -- and somehow I got Death Stranding for free out of it!

And it was awesome and I'm pissed that we'll probably never get the update.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Play posted:

I've updated a bunch of parts on my computer for the first time in my life recently and was actually surprised at how easy it was. Granted I only replaced the GPU, power supply, put in a new M.2 and some new RAM.

I can scarcely believe that anyone found a GPU anywhere. Installing is the easy part; try fighting bots, buttcoiners and flippers.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

running a power washer irl is fun as hell though, so it doesn't surprise me that a game version would be fun too

I did that once to help my mum wash her house. She slipped and tore several cm of skin off of my hand.

Thanks mum

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 9, 2021

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Lib and let die posted:

Sometimes even the second time too, like, what the gently caress, am I having a stroke?

Yeah, older USB is designed for three attempts. I'm pretty sure it's in the spec.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

…you do actually have to clean the computer with virtual compressed air in the game first.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah it's kind of a chill game. Has you go through even doing individual screws like standoffs or the PCI-E lock. Really what I hate most about it is the music but it'd probably be a great game to just zone out and listen to a podcast.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Saw it was free and kinda yippee'd cause medical bills have sorta wrecked my poo poo lately, so it was cool to get a free game that is up my alley. Was really surprised how much im into it ( i shouldnt be im a farm sim / death stranding / ellite dangerous / Iracing type person ) mainly cause of my own real life panic attacks working on my own hardware.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

cage-free egghead posted:

Yeah it's kind of a chill game. Has you go through even doing individual screws like standoffs or the PCI-E lock. Really what I hate most about it is the music but it'd probably be a great game to just zone out and listen to a podcast.

The game has a bunch of real radio stations and you can also use your own music with the music app. I don't hate the default music, but it gets grating after a few hours

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

JustJeff88 posted:

Is PC Building Simulator as frustrating as building a new desktop PC in real life? Last time I bought a gaming rig I bought all the parts and paid a professional to make a computer out of them. Smartest thing I've ever done.

plugging the bits into each other is easy though
the hard part is wading through the 9999 different parts and figuring out which ones are actually decent price-performance (especially when half of the content online posting about building a gamign pc is basically just audiophile tier jerking off over how expensive your parts are and throwing every highest-price component in one box), and making sure everything fits together and is compatible
and avoiding the gaudy rgb LEDs

e:

Party Boat posted:

Building a PC is like making flatpack furniture, I personally find it satisfying and relaxing but I can see how it would be a hellish exercise in frustration for someone else

i literally cannot comprehend how someone would find assembling flatpack furniture difficult unless they were physically too weak to hold the parts

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 9, 2021

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the hard part is wading through the 9999 different parts and figuring out which ones are actually decent price-performance (especially when half of the content online posting about building a gamign pc is basically just audiophile tier jerking off over how expensive your parts are and throwing every highest-price component in one box), and making sure everything fits together and is compatible
and avoiding the gaudy rgb LEDs

e:

i literally cannot comprehend how someone would find assembling flatpack furniture difficult unless they were physically too weak to hold the parts

pc building sim is easy in that it's got the hard work taken out. the stock is unlimited! it's really not my taste, even coming from someone who typically loves __ simulator games. didn't stop me from claiming it though

when i worked for a store that sold flatpack children's furniture, i did the home delivery/installation service along with another guy. pretty often there were calls where we hadn't delivered anything, nor had to deliver more, but instead were called out to assemble furniture the customer had started and abandoned. or got most of the way through assembling it before the last part didn't fit and they realized they installed everything upside down, and the fact they had to make new holes to do so didn't stop them.

more than once there's been a husband absolutely convinced this thing is a nightmare, needs to be returned, should have never bought this, they'll spend 3 hours in here, etc. and we're done even faster than usual because he's already gotten rid of all the packaging, and roughly laid it out, even if some parts were misplaced. it was almost like he was staging a record attempt. i really never understood it, it really only goes together one way, the instructions are clear and have descriptions and photos.

HarmB fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 9, 2021

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I've redeemed the free game, I'm gonna play it, and I'm gonna enjoy the experience.

and you can't stop me

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

FFT posted:

I'm gonna play it,

I'm afraid you got lost, friend, no one plays games here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Unreal_One posted:

I'm afraid you got lost, friend, no one plays games here.

I played 1 or 2 of them.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There are definitely people out there who find it tough to parse the diagrams. If you grew up putting Lego together you have a distinct advantage when it comes to that kind of thing.

Also not every bit of flat pack furniture is as good as IKEA, I've had to put together wardrobes where the "instructions" were a single sheet with an exploded diagram printed as cheaply as possible where half the writing bled together.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

This isn't universally true. My previous machine was truly stupid in a myriad of ways that made plugging things in properly a complete nightmare. And even my new premade machine has stupid design faults that get in the way of normal use. In both instances it's moreso down to the engineering of the case, but that's an unavoidable reality no matter how you slice it.

Replacing a video card? Okay, sure, that's really not too complicated. But building a machine from the ground up (and/or having to fix it) can have you running into the most infuriating bullshit.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Skwirl posted:

I played 1 or 2 of them.

Maybe you did once, but now you are too far gone.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
there’s a thread for people that play games and this one ain’t it

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Lib and let die posted:

USB cables have quantum spin, there are actually 4 ways you can plug it in even though it looks the same twice

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I just had trouble with plugging in an hdmi cable (got it on the second try). It’s good to know I’m not a complete dumbass — these are quantum mechanics I have no control over!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

I can scarcely believe that anyone found a GPU anywhere. Installing is the easy part; try fighting bots, buttcoiners and flippers.

Newegg shuffle is how I got to buy my 3070 at MSRP (at least I think it was MSRP. close enough anyways). Try it, it works and if you are able to sign up daily and willing to buy a decent selection of cards you should get the opportunity in one or two months, although it is random so you never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Lotteries for the opportunity to buy computer hardware? Very cyberpunk.