Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Going to start playing PFS tomorrow since I can't find a regular group. Playing 2e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Beerdeer posted:

Going to start playing PFS tomorrow since I can't find a regular group. Playing 2e.

Have you tried the goon TG contact thread? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495776

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Ojetor posted:

- What's the best 2e adventure path? Bonus if it also has a roll20 implementation for max lazyness.

I'm also going to vote for Abomination Vaults as the best one that I've personally run. Makes a great introduction to the system, if you feel like everyone is new and you want a really easy ramp you can run the beginner box first and go straight into AV at level 2 and it works fine. As far as support goes, Strength of Thousands has the advantage in that both Foundry and Roll20 have versions that do 100% setup with tokens for you. Roll20 also has Age of Ashes and Extinction Curse, but Age of Ashes has some teething pains as the first AP for 2e, and Extinction Curse has some expectation mismatches going on with the circus theme, but if you're not 100% obsessed with "But it's a circus AP!" it's probably fine. You don't get good digital VTT maps until Agents of Edgewatch, which is apparently well written but I'll never know since the treasure is handled by cops doing asset forfeiture which is..lame. Supposedly you can fix the treasure issues and it's ok, but whatever easy enough to play something else.

If you don't want to leap into an AP then Malevolence is really good, but (minor malevolence spoilers) I'd read over the research subsystem and either downsize the ridiculous number of research branches in the adventure or just ignore it and reveal the lore to your players as they explore the different rooms/whenever they long rest in their dreams. You're also forced to either do a ton of work on the treasure or run automatic bonus progression or your players are definitely gonna get murdered since there's no way to shop and PF2E balance goes totally out the window when your players aren't getting their fundamental runes. Other issue with malevolence is the author for it and the first book of AV are the same, so it feels kinda samey if you run them back to back.

I haven't run Strength of Thousands, but we have our session 0 on Sunday and the DM says the first 2 books he has look really good. I'm playing a Song'o druid and I'm very excited about it.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

The treasure stuff is extremely easy to fix in Edgewatch by just having the player's precinct just pay them a salary and providing them a requisition list of the stuff they would find at certain points in the AP.

Personally, I really like Edgewatch but the first book is an extremely off-putting start (players right away get hit with a combo of obviously corrupt and lovely superiors, breaking up a bar fight they are almost definitely going to be the instigators of, the civil asset forfeiture stuff, and then your first major 'dungeon' being a weird Pinkerton style strike break) to the point that if I was going to run it seriously I would probably remove it entirely and then gently off-ramp them into the second book some other way.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Umbo just crit my giant gnoll rogue and laid me the gently caress out from full 18 hp, straight up the Dark Souls Mushroom Dude Punched my poo poo.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Just about to make the jump into Pathfinder. Got the beginner box and am getting ready to try it? Anyone have any good cheat sheets for players?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Jarvisi posted:

Just about to make the jump into Pathfinder. Got the beginner box and am getting ready to try it? Anyone have any good cheat sheets for players?

I mainly use the actions cheat sheet from this reddit post. It helps me remember what all I can do on my turn to keep it more interesting (and effective) than move -> attack -> attack.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

VikingofRock posted:

I mainly use the actions cheat sheet from this reddit post. It helps me remember what all I can do on my turn to keep it more interesting (and effective) than move -> attack -> attack.

I liked this enough to port it to Foundry a few months back, with compendium links. My players found it pretty useful. Looks a little less clean because I can't be arsed to make everything line up perfectly, but still handy:

Gist if anyone wants to import it (it should only reference pf2e system stuff so should be directly pasteable): https://gist.github.com/schmidka/18ea2e28890856b5c3ed323c9f734fdb

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
The real answer to VTT is, as always, Maptool.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Owlbear Rodeo or bust

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Xerophyte posted:

Gist if anyone wants to import it (it should only reference pf2e system stuff so should be directly pasteable): https://gist.github.com/schmidka/18ea2e28890856b5c3ed323c9f734fdb

You do this how exactly?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Megazver posted:

You do this how exactly?

Any Journal Entry in Foundry is really just an HTML file. Create a new one, edit it, select the code button (the "<>" icon) and paste it in.

E: mspaint helps, right?

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 9, 2021

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Metallia posted:

The treasure stuff is extremely easy to fix in Edgewatch by just having the player's precinct just pay them a salary and providing them a requisition list of the stuff they would find at certain points in the AP.

Personally, I really like Edgewatch but the first book is an extremely off-putting start (players right away get hit with a combo of obviously corrupt and lovely superiors, breaking up a bar fight they are almost definitely going to be the instigators of, the civil asset forfeiture stuff, and then your first major 'dungeon' being a weird Pinkerton style strike break) to the point that if I was going to run it seriously I would probably remove it entirely and then gently off-ramp them into the second book some other way.

Aw, they go the dark and edgy route? I was kind of hoping it'd be more Terry Pratchett inspired.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Aw, they go the dark and edgy route? I was kind of hoping it'd be more Terry Pratchett inspired.

As I understand it, there's enough give in the narrative that you can absolutely play it that way for the most part, though your primary villains are Norgorber Cultists so take that as you want.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
someone explain shield HP to me like I'm a child. how much damage does the shield take and the person holding it take?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Both the shield and the wielder take (attack damage) - (shield hardness) damage

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Red Metal posted:

Both the shield and the wielder take (attack damage) - (shield hardness) damage

Doesn't this make shields kind of bad? It seems like they'd get trashed in one or two good hits

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Doesn't this make shields kind of bad? It seems like they'd get trashed in one or two good hits

The expectation is that you're (usually) not going to be using Shield Block on every hit -- since the DM should tell you the damage before you decide whether to Shield Block or not, you can save the Blocks for crits or high damage rolls that might take you out, and rely on the shield's passive AC bonus the rest of the time.

Of course, you can also Repair your shield, or use a mending spell on it. And if you want to rely more on blocking, you can buy a Sturdy Shield.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Blockhouse posted:

That's what repairing is for. But also consider that it's effectively giving you 10+ extra HP at level 1 in addition to the +2 AC, and sturdy shields (especially combined with things like the shield ally) can soak even more. A level 7 enemy deals 20 damage a hit on average, and a level 4 sturdy shield has 8 Hardness and 32 effective HP, giving you an extra ~24 HP in any given combat.

Shields are really good.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cyouni posted:

That's what repairing is for. But also consider that it's effectively giving you 10+ extra HP at level 1 in addition to the +2 AC, and sturdy shields (especially combined with things like the shield ally) can soak even more. A level 7 enemy deals 20 damage a hit on average, and a level 4 sturdy shield has 8 Hardness and 32 effective HP, giving you an extra ~24 HP in any given combat.

Shields are really good.

There's a level 18 indestructible shield if you really, really want to never have to worry about repairing yours (unless it's disintegrated.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Blockhouse posted:

So, that only applies if you actually use the shield to block. If you simply raise it for the +2 AC but don’t use the shield block reaction, none of this applies.

If you are actually using the shield block reaction, well, yeah, level 1 mundane shields do kind of suck. But, for example, at level 7 a Lesser Sturdy Shield will have 10 hardness and 80 HP at a cost of 360 gold.

If an incoming attack hits for 20 (a pretty typical number around that level, a shield block will cut that in half, and you can do that 4 times before needing to repair your shield. And you can save that last block before hitting the BT of 40 to soak a much bigger hit.

After that, it’s a few craft checks and an hour or two to repair it. Not awful considering that the shield functionally gave your character somewhere in the neighborhood of a 30-50% boost in effective health.

Tl;dr, shields are good if you have a good shield and upgrade it the way you do your other equipment.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I have a player that I'm trying to convince her shield is worth keeping, is the main reason I'm asking this. Thanks guys.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

I have a player that I'm trying to convince her shield is worth keeping, is the main reason I'm asking this. Thanks guys.

One thing to note is that +2 AC you get from the raise a shield action is very significant in pf2. Small bonuses really matter here so a +2 is huge.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 11, 2021

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Blockhouse posted:

Minmaxers carry around shields even if they don't have the ability to reduce damage with it, just for the AC bonus because it matters.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
There are a few sales going on right now that make Pathfinder books super cheap, so hopefully it's okay to post them.

Amazon has the 2E Core Rulebook Hardcover for $24.33 after applying the coupon on that page. And Target is running a Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale, which includes just about every Pathfinder book they carry.

I'm a newcomer so I just picked up the core rulebook, but I figured someone in here might want to save a few bucks and fill out their library.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Andrast posted:

One thing to note is that +2 AC you get from the raise a shield action is very significant in pf2. Small bonuses really matter here so a +2 is huge.

This is also worth noting. Coming from other systems it’s really easy to devalue +/-1 swings in rolls and DC’s, but with the way PF2 does degrees of success, it’s functionally +/-5% crit chance when you apply those bonuses which is a tremendous swing compared to, say, DND or PF1.

So having a shield apply a -10% to your opponents chance to not just hit you but to crit you is a HIGE reduction in incoming damage even before you get to the shield block reaction and the things that that can do.

To put it another way, think of the lengths you’d go to in pf1e/dnd to get a hold of a Keen weapon or a weapon that crits on an 18 or 19 instead of just a natural 20.

Now remember that raising a shield is essentially denying enemies exactly that much benefit, and then some more on top of that from the to hit reduction.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 11, 2021

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
My players don't believe me when I tell them the Frightened condition is actually really good because of this. But in honor of Halloween, they're gonna find out.

Speaking of, what are some good monsters that toss around the Frightened condition a bunch? Preferably in the level 6-7 range.

GetDunked fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 11, 2021

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Selachian posted:

The expectation is that you're (usually) not going to be using Shield Block on every hit -- since the DM should tell you the damage before you decide whether to Shield Block or not, you can save the Blocks for crits or high damage rolls that might take you out, and rely on the shield's passive AC bonus the rest of the time.

Of course, you can also Repair your shield, or use a mending spell on it. And if you want to rely more on blocking, you can buy a Sturdy Shield.

OBJECTION!

Using Shield Block on crits or high damage rolls is the worst way to use it and make it seem worthless. You want to use it on low damage hits. Consider two cases:

Goofus uses his steel shield only when he gets crit. He takes three hits of 8 damage each and then used Shield Block on a crit of 16 damage. He had saved himself from 5 damage and his shield is now broken.

Gallant uses his steel shield on smaller hits. He uses Shield Block on each of the 8 damage hits, and doesn't use it on the critical hit. He has saves himself from 15 damage and his shield is not yet broken.

Use Shield Block on small hits, not big ones.

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 11, 2021

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Piell posted:

OBJECTION!

Using Shield Block on crits or high damage rolls is the worst way to use it and make it seem worthless. You want to use it on low damage hits. Consider two cases:

Goofus uses his steel shield only when he gets crit. He takes three hits of 8 damage each and then used Shield Block on a crit of 16 damage. He had saved himself from 5 damage and his shield is now broken.

Gallant uses his steel shield on smaller hits. He uses Shield Block on each of the 8 damage hits, and doesn't use it on the critical hit. He has saves himself from 9 damage and his shield is not yet broken.

Use Shield Block on small hits, not big ones.

If you’re comfortable replacing the shield, saving your last block above BT for a big hit is good though.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Chevy Slyme posted:

If you’re comfortable replacing the shield, saving your last block above BT for a big hit is good though.

Not really, you block exactly as much damage from a small hit as a big one and a small hit will just knock you below the shield broken limit (meaning you can just do a 10 minute repair check) rather than have to replace the entire shield like the big hit will do.. It is not worth blocking a big hit unless it stops you from being knocked out.

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 11, 2021

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Piell posted:

Not really, you block exactly as much damage from a small hit as a big one and a small hit will just knock you below the shield broken limit (meaning you can just do a 10 minute repair check) rather than have to replace the entire shield like the big hit will do.. It is not worth blocking a big hit unless it stops you from being knocked out.

Ah, true. I keep forgetting that part.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Carry a bag of spare shields around with you, honestly. A second one definitely is pretty manageable.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Carry a bag of spare shields around with you, honestly. A second one definitely is pretty manageable.

Get a hireling shield caddy

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Just fill a whole-rear end bag of holding with shields.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Paizo staff just voted to unionize.

https://twitter.com/PaizoWorkers/status/1448698340745486364

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Good on them!

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Phenomenal, really hope this is the first of many.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
gently caress yeah, solidarity forever!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

There are a few sales going on right now that make Pathfinder books super cheap, so hopefully it's okay to post them.

Amazon has the 2E Core Rulebook Hardcover for $24.33 after applying the coupon on that page. And Target is running a Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale, which includes just about every Pathfinder book they carry.

I'm a newcomer so I just picked up the core rulebook, but I figured someone in here might want to save a few bucks and fill out their library.

Thanks for the heads up, picked up pocket version of guns and gears, secrets of magic, and advanced players guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Guns & Gears is pretty weird. 2-3 page sidebar on why WW1-era weaponry is inappropriate for the overall tone they're going for contrasted with multiple pieces of art where the characters are wielding revolvers.