Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Brawnfire posted:

Why is she so offended by traditional witch folk dress?

I am a culture not a costume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Naming my twins crypto and block chain

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Cocaine Bear posted:

I right click and save your child

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Which one?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sophie's NFT

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As has been said; if it doesn't make any sense, then it's been explained correctly
I said before it's pretty much homeopathy or Sovereign Citizen thought applied to computers and economics

Ok now you're talking my language, it's every bit as infuriatingly stupid as I imagined

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Wicca is like basically family friendly druidism without all the messy blood sacrificing, shes a pagan poseur.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm not interested unless I can come to a potluck at your sacred grove

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Only if you wear the pointy hat.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I am Jack's NFT

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/evopsychgoogle/status/1446240859918200852?s=21

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

It's 11pm. Do you know where your child is on the blockchain?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

She needs to go outside and cast Touch Grass.
Claims to be a real witch, having real witch ancestory (which is an interesting typo, the only other typo is "potrayed"). Claims that real witches don't need brooms to fly, yet doesn't fly around eliminating the production of these costume mockeries?

Hmm.

/e

it's like 4 years old and even then was probably just the one joke but adapted for spooky

stringless has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Oct 8, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FFT posted:

Claims to be a real witch, having real witch ancestory (which is an interesting typo, the only other typo is "potrayed"). Claims that real witches don't need brooms to fly, yet doesn't fly around eliminating the production of these costume mockeries?

Hmm.

/e

it's like 4 years old and even then was probably just the one joke but adapted for spooky

People were identifying as a jedi to own the religious back when Dick Dorkins was big

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

People were identifying as a jedi to own the religious back when Dick Dorkins was big
That was 20 years ago, not long before pastafarianism

This seems more mean-spirited (heh)

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Once i did a literary theory presentation on Adrienne Rich that touched briefly on witches historically being women who were, for whatever reason, socially unacceptable in their culture, while I was dressed as a witch.

This was entirely unplanned and came about because the prof, who had the worst time management, lectured too long on the day I was supposed to present, so told me I'd do it Friday, and Friday was Halloween and I wasn't about to not dress up just because suddenly my costume was hilariously on topic.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

DreadUnknown posted:

Wicca is like basically family friendly druidism without all the messy blood sacrificing, shes a pagan poseur.
I wouldn't really call wiccans posers, but I do raise eyebrows when people claim wicca is a completely ancient tradition instead of a patchwork stitched together in, what, the 60s?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

PetraCore posted:

I wouldn't really call wiccans posers, but I do raise eyebrows when people claim wicca is a completely ancient tradition instead of a patchwork stitched together in, what, the 60s?

Most pagans consider wicca to be a 101 course to kinda break the christian brainwashing and introduce people to actual paganism.

Staying a wiccan is like refusing to move on from high school

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I had a wiccan acquaintance who always said that she knew it was a religion invented in the mid-twentieth century, but it was her religion and she was cool with it.

I was always impressed.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I went to a Beltane one time and learned that pagans are very old around my parts

Like the person who brought me was in her twenties, and everyone else was in their fifties at least.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

PetraCore posted:

Wicca has a lot of disparate sources. It has roots in the Theosophist movement of the late 19th century, depending on how far back you want to go.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Brawnfire posted:

I went to a Beltane one time and learned that pagans are very old around my parts

Like the person who brought me was in her twenties, and everyone else was in their fifties at least.

Internet athiesm supplanted the pagan craze, so the people who chase fads like that worshipped dick dorkins instead of the moon goddess

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Internet athiesm supplanted the pagan craze, so the people who chase fads like that worshipped dick dorkins instead of the moon goddess

Kinda sad, since as boring as the event was it felt more like a community of people who liked each other than practically anything I've experienced since.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Norse pagans are pretty cool in my experience, especially when they get Berzerker pissed about Nazis stealing their imagery/existing in general. Plus Valhalla sounds dope

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Brawnfire posted:

Kinda sad, since as boring as the event was it felt more like a community of people who liked each other than practically anything I've experienced since.

They are still around, just waiting for people to rediscover that spirituality is better for your soul than atheism.

Just like there will always be people around who demand absolute verifiable fact waiting for a resurgence of that line of thought in the mainstream, so too will there be communities of people getting high and dancing naked to celebrate the beauty of nature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpKxWJB-viw

RFC2324 has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Oct 8, 2021

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
One other dumb part about NFTs, especially the real dumb ones that get posted, the art regularly comes from avatar generators. This is why most of them from a group look samey, it's cause they are and are, mostly, procedurally generated.

Here's a blog post from a dude about how 2 of his avatar generators were swiped for NFT generation. I would say this also counts as IoSM, because he starts arguing about his "moral rights" being infringed by the one NFT using the generator. Long story short, he released them under a CCA license allowing monetization, but now they're being monetized via NFT.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Danaru posted:

Norse pagans are pretty cool in my experience, especially when they get Berzerker pissed about Nazis stealing their imagery/existing in general. Plus Valhalla sounds dope

Yeah. I briefly hung out with a group of them through mutual acquaintances. Drank some nice mead from a bull's horn and listened to a lot of Slayer.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

BirdOfPlay posted:

One other dumb part about NFTs, especially the real dumb ones that get posted, the art regularly comes from avatar generators. This is why most of them from a group look samey, it's cause they are and are, mostly, procedurally generated.

Nah, actually stealing a generator is too much work, just steal fanart like the current Neopets nft is doing

Cocaine Bear posted:

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I right click and save your child

gbut posted:

Which one?

Biplane posted:

Sophie's NFT

:yeshaha: actually lolling

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I have a couple of friends who, while aren't pagan, do... observe, I guess, things like Samhain, Beltane, and Yule. (Yule is fun; they host a big dinner with booze and stuff and apparently the proper Yule custom is "dinner lasts as long as it has to". Maybe that's just them.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That does not sound any different from crimbo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Do most people's families have "feast" style holidays where the meal doesn't last as long as it has to?

Any food holidays we have are the days a year where I see my old decepit family and the friends stay up late into the night partying, with the usual suspects insisting everyone have fifth helpings or if they should get some more food or booze out.

When my grandma was alive I can't remember a time she didn't out-party me on a party holiday.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CellBlock posted:

I have a couple of friends who, while aren't pagan, do... observe, I guess, things like Samhain, Beltane, and Yule. (Yule is fun; they host a big dinner with booze and stuff and apparently the proper Yule custom is "dinner lasts as long as it has to". Maybe that's just them.)

That’s literally just Christmas.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I had a wiccan acquaintance who always said that she knew it was a religion invented in the mid-twentieth century, but it was her religion and she was cool with it.

I was always impressed.

If you accept all religions as equally valid, then a new religion that fulfils you spiritually is just as good as one that's a few thousand years old.

One of my sisters has been dabbling in wicca/neo-paganism these days. She gave me a spell candle she made. It's a tea light with herbs and runes drawn on it in sharpie. It was very sweet of her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do most people's families have "feast" style holidays where the meal doesn't last as long as it has to?

Any food holidays we have are the days a year where I see my old decepit family and the friends stay up late into the night partying, with the usual suspects insisting everyone have fifth helpings or if they should get some more food or booze out.

When my grandma was alive I can't remember a time she didn't out-party me on a party holiday.

Yeah, who kicks out family mid meal on Thanksgiving because it's taking longer than they thought?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They'd be like 40 000 times cooler* if they did wear a tall pointy hat etc.

*) 40 000 x 0 is still 0 but :shrug:

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in Hogwarts, and I've been involved in numerous secret rituals on the Taliban, and I have over 300 confirmed hexes. I am trained in astral projection warfare and I'm the top witch in the entire US. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the gently caress out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of witches across the world and your soul is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're loving dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can hex you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my thoughts. Not only am I extensively trained in astral projection combat, but I have access to the entire spellbooks of the Witch Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the continent, you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "funny" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have stopped. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're loving dead, kiddo.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Any religion that doesn't explicitly tell women to gently caress off is superior to the rest of em.

That spell candle sounds neat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, who kicks out family mid meal on Thanksgiving because it's taking longer than they thought?

I mean my lot do but that's because they're miserable.

Like not mid meal but there is definitely an impetus to get people out the door once they've been loaded up with dinner and booze.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This is a really good read on the history of modern wicca if you're interested:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

I hate cowards like this. "Muh freedom of speech!"

Bullshit, you want freedom of consequences to call people the N-word whenever you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kuros posted:

I hate cowards like this. "Muh freedom of speech!"

Bullshit, you want freedom of consequences to call people the N-word whenever you want.

The same people who would say Yes to this poll would immediately spank their child for swearing, too.