Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Kickstarters definitely have started following trends. When Blacklist followed up Street Masters with a generic fantasy title I was disappointed. Half the reason I love Chip Theory is their settings have a distinct sense of weird and unique stuff.

That said I'm waiting on Cascadia to come in which, while not a revolutionary theme, is one that I'm 100% in for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I played Wingspan with the Oceania expansion a few times this week. It definitely improves on the original formula in a lot of respects. It reminds me so much of the Tuscany expansion for Viticulture (not surprising coming from Stonemaier). It's amazing to me that it took an expansion to fix the original flaw in the game (i.e. the rate limiting effect of gaining so little food at the beginning of the game, and having to waste a ton of actions on gaining a single food). The expansion does a nice job of giving you alternative pathways to victory, just like Tuscany. That said, it really illustrates for me how delicate a balance worker placement games have to strike- they want to confine the space adequately so that the players are stepping on each other's toes and not simply playing solitaire, but you also don't want the routes to be so limited that you're all trying to squeeze through the same crack.

My copy of Pax Pamir 2E also arrived, and I've attempted a few 2-player games by myself. It's pretty magnificent. I appreciate this thread pushing me towards Pax Pamir rather than Oath. As much as I want to have a life that would support that game, I'm just not convinced I'd ever get it to the table.

I need a rules clarification on Pamir though. The rule for paying for actions says, "rupees equal to the cost should be placed on the rightmost market cards of both rows, with a single rupee being paid to each card". Is this saying that payments to market always go to the 6th (rightmost) column? So, if I spend 6 rupees on a build action, Column 6 Rows 1+2 both get 3 rupees? Or do you place the first two on Rows 1+2, and then proceed to Column 5? I ask because I got the Event card that sucks rupees out of the economy and it completely hosed the game up after like, 6-7 rupees landed on there and the economy dried up.

I'm also curious about another phenomenon I noticed. In a two player game, what should you do if the patriot cards from the third coalition who neither player is aligned with starts clogging up the left side of the market? I had 4 Russian patriot cards languishing in the 6 leftmost slots in the market, and neither player was taking them because they both had established themselves with the other two coalitions. Is the answer to simply take the cards solely for the rupees and discard them? Or is an abundance of patriot cards from that third coalition a hint that maybe you should switch loyalty and stock up on cheap influence via those patriot cards?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So there's a Queen's Gambit board game (based on the Netflix show). I haven't read anything about it but like to imagine that it's just a chess set.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Jewmanji posted:

I need a rules clarification on Pamir though. The rule for paying for actions says, "rupees equal to the cost should be placed on the rightmost market cards of both rows, with a single rupee being paid to each card". Is this saying that payments to market always go to the 6th (rightmost) column? So, if I spend 6 rupees on a build action, Column 6 Rows 1+2 both get 3 rupees? Or do you place the first two on Rows 1+2, and then proceed to Column 5? I ask because I got the Event card that sucks rupees out of the economy and it completely hosed the game up after like, 6-7 rupees landed on there and the economy dried up.

I'm also curious about another phenomenon I noticed. In a two player game, what should you do if the patriot cards from the third coalition who neither player is aligned with starts clogging up the left side of the market? I had 4 Russian patriot cards languishing in the 6 leftmost slots in the market, and neither player was taking them because they both had established themselves with the other two coalitions. Is the answer to simply take the cards solely for the rupees and discard them? Or is an abundance of patriot cards from that third coalition a hint that maybe you should switch loyalty and stock up on cheap influence via those patriot cards?

First question, the latter. You pay down the market.
Second question, taking a card for the big pile of money on it isn't a weak move at all. Having all of the money in the game is a very nice situation to be in. Plus, you know, maybe it'll be nice to be the Russians someday. Remember the empire blocks go off the board if you ever score a dominant empire.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Morpheus posted:

So there's a Queen's Gambit board game (based on the Netflix show). I haven't read anything about it but like to imagine that it's just a chess set.

omg it's not
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/346101/queens-gambit-das-damengambit

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah taking a "worse" card with coins is often better than taking the card you want and paying out. Pamir is very much a game of using what you have available instead of having a grand plan and executing it, at least in our games.

DirtyCheeseburgers
Apr 15, 2003

College Slice
To my dismay I've lost the name of the person who sent it to me - but just wanted to put out a general thank you to my TG secret Santa from last year in case they read this thread. My group is finally getting back together again, and we finally played Inis last night, and it was a big hit all around. It's definitely going to get a lot of play.

Then we played some Estates, just to be sure that everyone went home angry (in a fun way).

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Morpheus posted:

I like to imagine it's a retheme of the Star Wars game.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

I was imagining a meta game about balancing expertise and addiction, something like Millennium Blades.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Oh yeah. Some one on my FB board game group mentioned this, and it reminded me of Street fighter: The movie: The game

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I have made a thread about Dice, and talking about Dice, and posting pretty pretty pictures of Dice, and buying Dice, and you really need more Dice in your life, shiny shiny Dice this way

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Asmodee digital versions of their board games are on sale on steam 7th-11th if anyone's interested

I'm eyeing some of them, but I wish they were even cheaper

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Asmodee digital versions of their board games are on sale on steam 7th-11th if anyone's interested

I picked many of them up on a Humble Bundle a while ago. That way I could set the Asmodee Digital percentage cut to zero.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I know it’s already been touched on ITT but my first pre-playing experience with Unfathomable was opening the box and paging through the character cards, I was pretty impressed that there were only three generic white guys out of ten characters…but then I started reading through them and one is actually nonbinary, which makes this like the only game I’ve encountered outside of Netrunner to go full throttle on representation, it owns :3: FFG is awesome.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rockman Reserve posted:

I know it’s already been touched on ITT but my first pre-playing experience with Unfathomable was opening the box and paging through the character cards, I was pretty impressed that there were only three generic white guys out of ten characters…but then I started reading through them and one is actually nonbinary, which makes this like the only game I’ve encountered outside of Netrunner to go full throttle on representation, it owns :3: FFG is awesome.

The Arkham Files games (FFG's lovecraft stuff) have always been good about this. And yeah, FFG as a whole has done a good job on that front well before most companies.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I believe MJ Newman (Arkham LCG designer) has said she tries to make a game Lovecraft would have hated

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

The designer of Eldritch Horror is enby.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

There's a character pack in the Arkham LCG featuring a trans woman named Stella.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Steampunk Rally does a good job of representation too IMO. Maybe not as much LGBTQ but also its real-life industrial revolution inventors so who knows.

Speaking of, has anyone play extensively with the fusion expansion? I played a full game with everything last night and I feel like there is too much fiddly stuff and its a bit disappointing since I felt the base game was so slick. It’s a somewhat modular expansion but enough things are tied together that if you include one you kinda need to toss more in

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Kinda random question but have any of y'all tried to get box replacements from publishers? Unlikely, I figure, but my recent order of Flamme Rouge was all banged up; I'm getting a replacement shipped from the store, so it's not an issue, but it means shipping the busted game back which is a mild annoyance considering I have to wait until the new one arrives before I can play it. Idly wondered if publishers would ever ship you a box like they would replacement components, or if that's be far too expensive and not worth the customer goodwill.

Ninja edit: aw wait I could've just played using the busted game's components and then replaced them with the unopened conponents and shipped those back dang it.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

GreenBuckanneer posted:

TTR is great!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hopped on discord with mates and played No Thanks and 6 Nimmt for 4 hours on BoardGameArena while we all got drunk.
10/10 would use automation of card games again.

Never played No Thanks before and it's great. May need to pickup as I can never have too many card games in my collection - Though I'm pretty sure I could make an approximation out of a packet of 6 Nimmt + some poker chips.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

No Thanks is one of my favorite fillers. Would probably break down a bit with fully trackable info, but it also takes all of five or ten minutes, so who cares.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Morpheus posted:

Kinda random question but have any of y'all tried to get box replacements from publishers? Unlikely, I figure, but my recent order of Flamme Rouge was all banged up; I'm getting a replacement shipped from the store, so it's not an issue, but it means shipping the busted game back which is a mild annoyance considering I have to wait until the new one arrives before I can play it. Idly wondered if publishers would ever ship you a box like they would replacement components, or if that's be far too expensive and not worth the customer goodwill.

Ninja edit: aw wait I could've just played using the busted game's components and then replaced them with the unopened conponents and shipped those back dang it.

I got a replacement box for an inadequately packaged second-hand copy of Tainted Grail directly from the publisher. I’m sure it depends heavily on the publisher (and available stock). If it’s the store’s fault then that’s the way to go because the publisher probably won’t send you one for free (I got a partial refund from the ebay seller to cover the $20 to have the box shipped to Hawai’i).

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Infinitum posted:

Hopped on discord with mates and played No Thanks and 6 Nimmt for 4 hours on BoardGameArena while we all got drunk.
10/10 would use automation of card games again.

Never played No Thanks before and it's great. May need to pickup as I can never have too many card games in my collection - Though I'm pretty sure I could make an approximation out of a packet of 6 Nimmt + some poker chips.

I've played a bunch of drunken No Thanks, including a few hours in a large 6 person tent while camping in a downpour. 10/10 would play drunken No Thanks again.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Has anyone played Cascadia? It looks interesting and has positive reviews (although what doesn't these days). Love how it looks and the theme, just don't want to waste time on a mediocre Euro.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

armorer posted:

I've played a bunch of drunken No Thanks, including a few hours in a large 6 person tent while camping in a downpour. 10/10 would play drunken No Thanks again.

silvergoose posted:

No Thanks is one of my favorite fillers. Would probably break down a bit with fully trackable info, but it also takes all of five or ten minutes, so who cares.

The French version comes in a cool tin with cat themed cards!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vbU79feJ2Y

You better believe I tried to find somewhere to buy it, only to find out shipping is like $50 aud for a $15 game :v:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Llyranor posted:

I believe MJ Newman (Arkham LCG designer) has said she tries to make a game Lovecraft would have hated

Amusing side note: Lovecraft had "unsmiling strict dad" opinions on this topic & considered games in general to be unproductive wastes of time.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

NON MERCI holy hell that's awesome

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Looks like only the box cover has a cat :(

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
As a sidenote, since I mentioned playing games while camping and tins were brought up - I've started bringing a collection of small games with me whenever I car camp, and I put them all in an empty .50 cal ammo can. So far it's worked great as an easy way to keep them from getting wet/banged up when camping.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

FulsomFrank posted:

Has anyone played Cascadia? It looks interesting and has positive reviews (although what doesn't these days). Love how it looks and the theme, just don't want to waste time on a mediocre Euro.

I played it once and liked it, but unless you're looking for a ~low/med weight Euro you can probably pass.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Slimy Hog posted:

I played it once and liked it, but unless you're looking for a ~low/med weight Euro you can probably pass.

We've played it a few times. It's cool and chill, and will slightly tickle your low/med weight Euro analysis systems.

Each tile you lay has 1-3 biomes on it. They don't have to match up with the other tiles you've already placed, but come on... your brain won't let you put wetlands next to the mountains. Having contiguous sections of biomes gets you points at the end of the game.

At game start, you randomly draw some critter patterns that will give you points at the end of the game. Stuff like "pairs of bears" or "eagles at the edge of the map," but some are more complex than that. Each turn, you get to pick up a tile and a critter, and play both. You don't have to play the critter on the tile you drew. Sometimes, you'll see a tile and a critter that aren't on the market row together, and you can play special pinecones to let you do that, or wipe all the critters, etc.

Each player is working on their own Cascadia, and there's no player interaction outside of "gently caress you I wanted that salmon."

Have you played Fjords? It reminds me a little of Fjords (not battling on the same map, you can place tiles pretty much however).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Llyranor posted:

:allears: Incredible.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Magnetic North posted:

I picked many of them up on a Humble Bundle a while ago. That way I could set the Asmodee Digital percentage cut to zero.

Oh hey, look what happened:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/play-pink-best-asmodee-digital

Get the bundle if you want, but be sure to manually adjust the donation. The defaults are 5% of your cost goes to charity, 30% to humble and 65% to the publisher. What a loving racket.

I might still get in on it because it has a few different TTR DLCs this time, which is surprisingly generous of them. Woulda figured it'd be Europe each time.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Aargh, Spacecorp with expansion for €90 used. Such a good price yet still so expensive. Ah well, i don't have the space (heh) for it anyway.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Llyranor posted:

Looks like only the box cover has a cat :(

There's kitty cats on the cards! :3:

Spent some time this arvo trying to find a French/Canadian store that had it for reasonable shipping, but can't find anything.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Infinitum posted:

There's kitty cats on the cards! :3:

Spent some time this arvo trying to find a French/Canadian store that had it for reasonable shipping, but can't find anything.

Not sure how reasonable shipping would be, but there's a copy on Canadian Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/Gigamic-Non-Merci-Jeu-soci%C3%A9t%C3%A9/dp/B08F5GZR3V

Plus a few francophone sites seem to have a copy or two (no idea what shipping is like from those smaller places though)

Edit: Oh, spent the eventing playing Escape room: The Game Puzzle Adventure and I gotta say it's definitely one of my and my gf's favoured board game escape room experiences. About two hours, cost like 14 bucks CAD, done pretty well-done puzzles and nice presentation, I'll likely be checking out more in the series.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 9, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Morpheus posted:

Not sure how reasonable shipping would be, but there's a copy on Canadian Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/Gigamic-Non-Merci-Jeu-soci%C3%A9t%C3%A9/dp/B08F5GZR3V

Plus a few francophone sites seem to have a copy or two (no idea what shipping is like from those smaller places though)

Thank you, Amazon.ca apparently can't ship to Australia as ~Warranty issues and manufacturer restrictions prevent us from shipping certain products to all geographical locations~

Appreciate you looking though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Played A War of Whispers tonight. Was dope. King is Dead 2e is still better, but there's room in my modest collection for both.

edit: lol modest means like ~55 games