Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Dik Hz posted:

Speaking as someone who had a forced IT update brick a mass spec, the techs are correct. If a computer is hooked up to a mass spec, it should not be connected to a network. All antivirus and firewall should be nuked.

Customer wants to acquire 600 MB data files and send them to amazon web services over an internet connection instead of just ANALYZING THE DATA ON THE MOTHERFUCKING ACQUISTIION PC LIKE A NORMAL PERSON. They have 0 tolerance for interruptions oh also they want to lock the PC down with all sorts of domain security restrictions since a computer is just a computer if it works for sales it will work for a data acquisition pc.

"Hi,, hello, I tried to load 50 blue ray movie loving data files and it took a few minutes to open--I'm furious please solve this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Epitope posted:

Y'all mean no network with internet right? Or are you carrying data on a thumb drive or something?
Do data processing and report generation the instrument PC, back up with external hard drives periodically. Export completed reports with a thumb drive.

So, yeah. IT hates it, but I hate them bricking my GC-MSs even more.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I would love to get these rickety instruments off the network. Lab managers love being able to remote into machines (especially since Covid hit) and put data on file shares.

I lose.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
We might Intranet the mass spec machines. There’s a piece of software called Specbase promising to automatically extract performance data. If it works, we would not have to put QC levels and back pressure manually into a billion spreadsheets.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Needs to be a way to keep the instrument PC off the network, but with a second networked PC that can be control/Waldo remote into it. Only mouse/keyboard in, only data/screen out.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Oh joy, another headache, seems the HCl salt I’m testing is missing about 10% of the Cl…

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

street doc posted:

Needs to be a way to keep the instrument PC off the network, but with a second networked PC that can be control/Waldo remote into it. Only mouse/keyboard in, only data/screen out.

I've got a meeting on Monday about that !

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

mycomancy posted:

Lol lmao I build my own HTS pipelines using python and command-line software. Geneious and Benchling are mostly relegated to annotation visualization and primer design/storage.

my man

also you don’t work with a bunch of protein scientists on the edge of retirement that don’t give a fuuuuuuck about any of this

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I run an academic research lab so I make the students build pipelines usually from some mixture of R, python and shell scripts and make sure it all runs on our university Linux cluster.

It's more painful up front but they are a ton better at doing stuff after going through it instead of using CLC or Geneious.

Plus we can spin up an AWS instance and run everything if (when) the school decides to shut down research computing.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Oh joy, another headache, seems the HCl salt I’m testing is missing about 10% of the Cl…

Instrument failure or extremely exotic situation?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Atopian posted:

Instrument failure or extremely exotic situation?

Seems to be a problem making the compound, apparently its failed 3 other tests as well.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Bastard Tetris posted:

my man

also you don’t work with a bunch of protein scientists on the edge of retirement that don’t give a fuuuuuuck about any of this

Ugh, old biochemists are some of the crankiest of all the life scientists. I think only old female ecologists are crankier, though they usually have much better reasons to be cranky.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

mycomancy posted:

Ugh, old biochemists are some of the crankiest of all the life scientists. I think only old female ecologists are crankier, though they usually have much better reasons to be cranky.

all my old academic advisors are grey haired (or bald from chemo) cranky ecologist women so I am at peace walking among them

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Old microbiologists, at least the ones who aren't sexpests, are generally high functioning and cheerful alcoholics.

Good company usually.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

That Works posted:

Old microbiologists, at least the ones who aren't sexpests, are generally high functioning and cheerful alcoholics.

Good company usually.

Can confirm

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

That Works posted:

Good company usually.

I feel seen

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Anyone have experience with a tremor disorder and pipettes? I'm moving to a new lab soon, and they've got a pot of money for disability accommodations. I've heard about Ovation pipettes, but I'd prefer something that doesn't need custom tips.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Anyone have experience with a tremor disorder and pipettes? I'm moving to a new lab soon, and they've got a pot of money for disability accommodations. I've heard about Ovation pipettes, but I'd prefer something that doesn't need custom tips.

Check out Viaflow Integras, or get an Andrew+ and drive your whole workflow with Onelab.

https://www.andrewalliance.com/pipetting-robot/

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
The integra is both saving us tons of time on 96-well plate Vit D preps, and also a massive pain in the rear end. Aparently you have to program it using that little iPod they stapled to it as a user interface.
Also we need to do a solvent exchange on our spicier preps so we don't melt their internal o-rings.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Lunar Suite posted:

The integra is both saving us tons of time on 96-well plate Vit D preps, and also a massive pain in the rear end. Aparently you have to program it using that little iPod they stapled to it as a user interface.
Also we need to do a solvent exchange on our spicier preps so we don't melt their internal o-rings.

If you go on the Integra site they have free software that allows you to write methods, store them as XML, and push them to the pipettes with their com cables. They also have an assist robot you can attach the pipettes to as well. Also see if your rep can swap the o-rings out with PEEK or something less vulnerable to spicy prep attacks.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Dear lord I've been failing at the most simple cloning procedure for 3 weeks and now I figure out that an undergrad broke the electroporator 3 weeks ago

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

married but discreet posted:

Dear lord I've been failing at the most simple cloning procedure for 3 weeks and now I figure out that an undergrad broke the electroporator 3 weeks ago

Break the undergrad.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

street doc posted:

Break the undergrad.

Or do cold shocks (not on the undergrad) with calcium competent cells.
I have horrible memories of an electroporator.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Cardiac posted:

Or do cold shocks (not on the undergrad) with calcium competent cells.
I have horrible memories of an electroporator.

Chem comp cells are a pain in the rear end for anything other than Gibson cloning.

As for the electroporator, how is it broken? I've actually repaired one before that simply had a bent electrical contact. Once I straightened it out it worked great.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

mycomancy posted:

Chem comp cells are a pain in the rear end for anything other than Gibson cloning.

As for the electroporator, how is it broken? I've actually repaired one before that simply had a bent electrical contact. Once I straightened it out it worked great.

I say this as I literally am walking to lab to dunk cold cells into warm water like a loving caveman.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Well what happened is that the undergraduate jammed in a cuvette sideways like the huge brute he is, it got stuck and the whole thing had to be taken apart and the cuvette needed to be cut out with a knife. Now the contacts seem to be misaligned but not to the point where anything is obviously wrong, apart from the fact that there's no transformants. We'll see if its repairable and in the meantime just use some other labs electroporator.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Well what happened is that the undergraduate jammed in a cuvette sideways like the huge brute he is, it got stuck and the whole thing had to be taken apart and the cuvette needed to be cut out with a knife. Now the contacts seem to be misaligned but not to the point where anything is obviously wrong, apart from the fact that there's no transformants. We'll see if its repairable and in the meantime just use some other labs electroporator.

Are you getting strange time constants from empty cassettes or cassettes filled with millique water?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The opposite, I can literally spit into a cuvette and get normal time constants/no arcing. It's probably the contacts not touching anything.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

mycomancy posted:

I say this as I literally am walking to lab to dunk cold cells into warm water like a loving caveman noble savage.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Bastard Tetris posted:

Check out Viaflow Integras, or get an Andrew+ and drive your whole workflow with Onelab.

https://www.andrewalliance.com/pipetting-robot/

Andrew+ is good stuff, although I had to train a couple of my team up on Linux support to end a 6 month struggle to get the thing set up.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

The opposite, I can literally spit into a cuvette and get normal time constants/no arcing. It's probably the contacts not touching anything.

Yeah the copper clamp inside is bent. Open it up, bend it back into place, and I bet it works fine. My clamp was bent the other way, was sparking on an empty cuvette.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
If anyone wants to work for a LIMS vendor we are always looking for Business Analysts, positions would be remote.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lyon posted:

If anyone wants to work for a LIMS vendor we are always looking for Business Analysts, positions would be remote.

When I daydream about quitting my job I want to think about living on a sailboat, not working for a different piece of the money machine :mad:
(for real though that sounds kinda intriguing)

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
If you're tired of lab bullshit I highly recommend going the lims route! And from my job hunt this past summer can confirm Lyon's company has a lot of market share and direct experience with their software is highly desirable. I jumped from lab to lims in Jan 2020 and it was a fantastic choice!*

*must be able to handle large amounts of regulatoryly required documentation / validation work.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Spikes32 posted:

If you're tired of lab bullshit I highly recommend going the lims route! And from my job hunt this past summer can confirm Lyon's company has a lot of market share and direct experience with their software is highly desirable. I jumped from lab to lims in Jan 2020 and it was a fantastic choice!*

*must be able to handle large amounts of regulatoryly required documentation / validation work.

Yeah we may not be number one yet but we will be soon. And the spoiler is very much accurate, business analyst roles are primarily documentation (user requirements, functional requirements, validation, etc.) and customer meetings. The travel is relatively light generally speaking but there’s always a chance for it to jump depending on the project(s) you’re assigned to.

Salary probably ranges from $80k - $120k DOE.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Lyon posted:

Yeah we may not be number one yet but we will be soon. And the spoiler is very much accurate, business analyst roles are primarily documentation (user requirements, functional requirements, validation, etc.) and customer meetings. The travel is relatively light generally speaking but there’s always a chance for it to jump depending on the project(s) you’re assigned to.

Salary probably ranges from $80k - $120k DOE.

I know an MBA in Boston that would be interested. PM me details.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

I was the primary managing our LIMS deployment on a shoestring budget at my company after the analytical lab lead selected a vendor and then bounced because she was awful.

Then we had to pick up and move the LIMS from a local box to AWS and again had no money to do it. So that’s how me, a chemist, learned to configure LabWare lims on an AWS environment. That program has some janky configuration design choices. :filez:

Still better than the excel spreadsheets and VBA code we were using to manage samples and results.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
You got labware running on aws by yourself? Daaaamn I'm impressed. Labware is a hot steaming pile of very old code design. But for a LIMS system from a functional viewpoint it can be extremely effective.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

The DB structure itself isn’t terrible. There are a ton of tables we basically don’t use, but it’s super easy to write queries to get data.

The docs for LabWare are just awful. I have a lot of experience in python and some in VBA, so LIMS basic was pretty easy to figure out.

The nightmare was figuring out how to configure the weblims to work. LabWare gives no guidance for how to configure something like tomcat to serve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Yeah, there's a lot that works with the database and lims basic. But they want you to use their consultants for anything too complicated especially weblims which is still relatively new. Are you still doing this, and if so do you have access to the support boards / list serve? I got a lot of help that way