Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

RoboRodent posted:

It's definitely worth at least an eyeroll, though I'll admit research was a lot harder in 1946 than it is now.

Chinook jargon in general is just kind of a neat thing that I like! It was a trading pidgin/creole language used by a number of different tribes in the Pacific northwest, though at its most widespread it was used from Alaska all the way down to northern California. In the latter days of its use, it also incorporated a lot of French and some English.

"Tillicum" isn't a super unusual word to crop up in this part of the world, because Chinook was such an important part of the history and people like to name things (streets, animals, boats) using Chinook words occasionally. We called our dog Tilly because she was a border collie mix from working dog stock at a local cattle farm called Tillicum farm. Here's another I occasionally hear people use in normal conversation: "skookum." It means strong/great.
Yeah, one thing I have been wondering is what sort of research Foster was able to access in the 40s. It's still not an excuse for some of the cringier parts of this arc, like Val prioritizing the white murderers over the people understandably wanting justice for an entire village being massacred, and Foster going 'and that's why this actually existing group of people had pale skin and blue eyes!!', but it makes me more lenient towards just plain inaccuracies, and more critical of attitude. If that makes sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 2 – Two Backs

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad Site
Steeple Website

I feel like Billie and Maggie are missing something more important that Rupert's new tattoo.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, one thing I have been wondering is what sort of research Foster was able to access in the 40s. It's still not an excuse for some of the cringier parts of this arc, like Val prioritizing the white murderers over the people understandably wanting justice for an entire village being massacred, and Foster going 'and that's why this actually existing group of people had pale skin and blue eyes!!', but it makes me more lenient towards just plain inaccuracies, and more critical of attitude. If that makes sense?

I have pretty mixed feelings about this whole arc. Some of it is quite sensitive and portrays the native characters in a way that at least seems like an honest attempt at both accuracy and humanity (there's a cute bit coming up in a little while where the Indians play a game of lacrosse and are all poo poo-talking each other about it that I think is fun), but other parts are unfortunately exactly what you'd expect from a story from the forties. There are a few turns of phrase in some of the upcoming strips that are particularly uncomfortable, and the story that leads up to everyone sailing back to Europe is slightly problematic, unfortunately (hint: Aleta's status as a "goddess" plays a central role). It doesn't surprise me that Tillicum's name comes from some random word in an unrelated language, but on the other hand she's not a bad character, all things considered.

At least Foster's realist art style prevents anything ever getting too gross visually - no neon-red Disney Peter Pan Indians to worry about.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The_Other posted:

Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 2 – Two Backs

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad Site
Steeple Website

I feel like Billie and Maggie are missing something more important that Rupert's new tattoo.

Oh it'll definitely show up on camera

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Medenmath posted:

I have pretty mixed feelings about this whole arc. Some of it is quite sensitive and portrays the native characters in a way that at least seems like an honest attempt at both accuracy and humanity (there's a cute bit coming up in a little while where the Indians play a game of lacrosse and are all poo poo-talking each other about it that I think is fun), but other parts are unfortunately exactly what you'd expect from a story from the forties. There are a few turns of phrase in some of the upcoming strips that are particularly uncomfortable, and the story that leads up to everyone sailing back to Europe is slightly problematic, unfortunately (hint: Aleta's status as a "goddess" plays a central role). It doesn't surprise me that Tillicum's name comes from some random word in an unrelated language, but on the other hand she's not a bad character, all things considered.

At least Foster's realist art style prevents anything ever getting too gross visually - no neon-red Disney Peter Pan Indians to worry about.

To be fair, sometimes stuff is just kind of... Like this.

I have a book, a children's book that was my mother's and she gave to me recently when we were talking about it. It's a 1946 reprint of a 1930 book that is a collection of stories about a group of first nations children learning lessons from moral fables told by the magical talking totem pole (actually their ventriloquist grandma). We don't think the stories are traditional. They're pretty standard children's fairy tale style fables but with Chinook words and a little bit of folklore and culture mixed in. The author is straight up a mystery, and we haven't been able to determine if she was white or haida or what, because it's kind of an obscure book and nobody talks about it. It's pretty woke for a white woman in 1930, but we just have no idea.

But also, it's just kind of a bunch of cute stories that equate to "don't steal" and "don't look down on people who are different from you" and "be generous," and that's hard to hate.

Full disclosure, I'm white, we're all white, we just have a very good appreciation for stories in my family and I grew up with a whole collection of first nations picture books, some of which were definitely traditional stories. We also had gentile Hanukkah.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That Dustin is the worst

Shiftless youth not watching enough TV news to know what's really going on

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Bloop posted:

That Dustin is the worst

Shiftless youth not watching enough TV news to know what's really going on

Dustin is absolutely the author mouthpiece in that one.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

RoboRodent posted:

Well, it's less "historical inaccuracy" and more "appropriating a word from one culture in order to give your writing about another culture more weight, because you don't differentiate between them even though, in practice, they were very different."

It's a thing that, uh, has not aged well.

Boy oh boy, does reading Blueberry put posts like THIS to mind.

On that note, in today's Blueberry!: Sharp is an incredibly irritating man, or McClure and Red know 枪杆子里面出政权, or It's ok, Jethro - I always had difficulty with long division, too

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

OK, let's see. This is the Zimmermann Telegram, where the government of Germany, in a desperate bid to derail the US from sending troops to Europe, tried to recruit Mexico on their side. They courted Mexico's favor by promising that they would back their claims on former Mexican territories lost to the United States in wars in return for Mexico invading the US from the south, ie. "winked at her".

The telegram was intercepted, leaked and published in US newspapers, enraging the country and helping sway the formerly isolationist population towards sending troops to Europe. Of course the cartoonist is kind of playing down the consequences as they were much more serious than a "black eye" but maybe that's coming in a future comic.

E:

here is the telegram, which they sent through American controlled telegram networks for reasons that are at best unclear but probably made sense to a bunch of real geniuses back in the day.

I had no idea And He Did was so metaphorical. Wow!

F Minus

Go for the unleaded.

Mark Trail

I like pancakes, but between this and Haywire I'm really sick of the "Pancakes! lol" gags.

Mary Worth

Wilbur's plan is working. :mad:

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Murdstone posted:

F Minus

Go for the unleaded.

Mark Trail

I like pancakes, but between this and Haywire I'm really sick of the "Pancakes! lol" gags.

Mary Worth

Wilbur's plan is working. :mad:

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Man Wilbur is going to be rolling in so much puppy.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Yes! If these two friends since childhood can manage to sort out their differences, anyone can! And Dez is even a nudist! Look at her, with her nudism, just walking around all nude all the time, making everyone look at her nudity! Yet Bets has been so accepting of it!

A nomadic tribe? Of what people? Oh, just some tribe? Okay.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You have all reminded me that I bought a book of Pawnee stories that I never finished. Dunno where I put that down. Somewhere in the house.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Spud is wise to distrust the stars. The elder gods live up there. :cthulhu:

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Mary Worth: if this ends up being about the superiority of dog owners over cat owners I will flip the gently caress out

Luann: re-inventing the smush room, like 15 years later

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

hey good news Kip baby, we can hook up in the common area now, just scooch past my stark naked roommate there and join me under the quilts for some privacy

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My Lovely Horse posted:

hey good news Kip baby, we can hook up in the common area now, just scooch past my stark naked roommate there and join me under the quilts for some privacy

Yeah honestly that’s the most believable part of all that from my college years experience.

Hell who hasn’t split one room with twin queen beds to smash your girlfriends on the cheap?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ah welcome stranger from America, our tents are your tents, this is our privacy hut smack in the middle of camp

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

The_Other posted:

Also, for fans of Giant Days, Allison has been practicing drawing the cast for upcoming conventions and posting the images on his twitter. Here are a few:

These just make me irrationally angry that Allison keeps pairing up with Max Sarin.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Why wouldn't he pair up with Sarin? She's great, and being partnered with other artists gives him more time to work on multiple projects.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Murdstone posted:

I wish he'd started doing these deep WWI comics earlier instead of putting us through years of "offensively insensitive German caricature dismisses America, ARR BRAVE BOYS kill him, P.S. send your kids and children to join up today, P.P.S. yes even if they're underage we won't tell if you won't WINKY FACE".

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Rand Brittain posted:

Why wouldn't he pair up with Sarin? She's great, and being partnered with other artists gives him more time to work on multiple projects.

Because Allison has a very particular style in his artwork that just does not translate well when Sarin takes over. This came up here when "Wicked Things" was released; everyone is vamping for the camera and staged/posed in grossly exaggerated ways. It's even more ridiculous in "Giant Days." Meanwhile the characters, as drawn by Allison, just look like they're in on the joke. From sly to vamp, it's all in the presentation.

From a technical perspective, Sarin's art is fine, but if you've been reading the Bobbinsverse for a while the styles are completely different. And I prefer Allison's. YMMV.

Doomykins posted:

Who cares?
You, evidently!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Transmodiar posted:

You, evidently!

Hoisted by my own petard!

Jucika "306 - Jucika And The High C Note!"

That's cruel. :(

"307 - Jucika Gets Flowers"

"Last panel rough translation: Women's day greetings from the company"

Extra for Strip 306, Pusztai illustrated a whole page.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Rand Brittain posted:

I think folks get inordinately bent out of shape about the differences in art styles between the different books. Sarin's art looks great to me. Allison's own art has shifted a lot over the past couple of decades and it seems odd to get so mad about seeing yet another style used to portray his characters when the man himself has gone from crabbed doodles to adobe art to his more contemporary hand-drawn work. Obviously everybody has their own taste and if somebody doesn't like Sarin's art, that's their affair, but the vitriol that periodically crops up in the thread seems out of proportion to the actual difference it makes.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

This is probably my single favorite Chako.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
I'm really enjoying Uramachi Sakaba. It gives off hints of Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko and Battle Angel, but it's still very much itself. Is it serialized in print anywhere?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sadbear

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Kid Fenris posted:

I'm really enjoying Uramachi Sakaba. It gives off hints of Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko and Battle Angel, but it's still very much itself. Is it serialized in print anywhere?

The only actual physical prints are basically just zines straight from the author, but there is a kindle edition too. (The only English translation is mine, though.)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

lmao oh no

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Jan 23-24, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 10-13, 1990)

Blind Alley

https://kumerish.com/blind-alley

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! October 14, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True November 20, 1918

Gay and Her Gang November 21, 1929

Oaky Doaks April 23, 1936

Mopsy June 30, 1937

Up Front August 5, 1944

Dark Laughter February 5, 1949

Those Were the Days August 16, 1956

Wee Pals January 13, 1966

Dogbert June 27, 1966

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

:lol: Oh QRais, you're such a kidder :allears:

The only way he could've improved this would be having the bear mimic Dani's expression in the final shot of the film.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My Lovely Horse posted:

One of my roommate's girlfriends loved telling the story about how when she first saw me in our common area, I was kicked back on the phone in nothing but tighty-whities.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Just Dan Again posted:

I think folks get inordinately bent out of shape about the differences in art styles between the different books. Sarin's art looks great to me. Allison's own art has shifted a lot over the past couple of decades and it seems odd to get so mad about seeing yet another style used to portray his characters when the man himself has gone from crabbed doodles to adobe art to his more contemporary hand-drawn work. Obviously everybody has their own taste and if somebody doesn't like Sarin's art, that's their affair, but the vitriol that periodically crops up in the thread seems out of proportion to the actual difference it makes.

I don't know that it's fair to call it vitriol. Transmodiar openly admitted his distaste was irrational.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Just under the line again...

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (February 9, 1934)

Peanuts (October 11, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...um, Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (May 10, 1938)

Out Our Way (July 15-17, 1937; spoiler for the usual reasons)

Toonerville Folks (March 4-6, 1918)

Dok's "Not Even Safe To Leave Your Windows Open Anymore" Duck (October 25, 1913)

Little Lefty (June 24-26, 1935)

Blondie (From Zero) (March 16-18, 1931)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

EasyEW posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...um, Crankshaft

"A bit late. But if it's any consolation, if I'd had your penny sock five hours ago, I'd probably be in jail and it would be in an evidence locker."

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I need help again.

Slammy posted:

Wee Pals January 13, 1966

This one is just begging for a template version.

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (October 11, 1974)

Lucy seems to have crossed a line here. Multiple times apparently. Why is she still allowed in Schroeder's house?