Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

would goku choose to stop biosphere collapse if he could

he would get bulma to do it once he notices a drop in the population of giant river fish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

So either we ban discussion to make it easier to remain a climate denier lite, or we have to accept that climate solutions can’t be achieved by Biden or Harris or Pelosi or any of our so called leadership and admit our leaders are climate deniers.

they are not climate deniers. most of them are too old, they will be dead before they experience any consequences

its not that they dont understand, its that they dont care

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Rutibex posted:

they are not climate deniers. most of them are too old, they will be dead before they experience any consequences

also for their children and grandchildren they probably figure they have enough money that they'll do fine

pelosi is worth like 100m lol (because of her husband)

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
I don't want to be a good boy and just adapt. I wanna go around punching people in the face as they exits their cars. I just wanna shout I DID IT FOR THE CLIMATE as they try to figure out what just happened.

I know it wouldn't do any difference and it would only be bad for both me and whatever generally innocent person i punched and i won't do it, but goddamn if i don't want to punch that loving rear end in a top hat who lives in a $4m home and drives their 4x4 "pickup" the 500m to pick up their kid from school in literally the safest area in the country.

I just really really really want to punch them.

I won't. But I want to.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fanfic insert posted:

I don't want to be a good boy and just adapt. I wanna go around punching people in the face as they exits their cars. I just wanna shout I DID IT FOR THE CLIMATE as they try to figure out what just happened.

I know it wouldn't do any difference and it would only be bad for both me and whatever generally innocent person i punched and i won't do it, but goddamn if i don't want to punch that loving rear end in a top hat who lives in a $4m home and drives their 4x4 "pickup" the 500m to pick up their kid from school in literally the safest area in the country.

I won't. But I want to.

You could always punch yourself in the face like Tyler Durden

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
That's what it feels like coming into this thread sometimes so i think I got that covered.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fanfic insert posted:

I won't. But I want to.

there is only one solution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGbgAisf6_c

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rutibex posted:

they completely are climate deniers. just because they're going to die doesn't mean that their lies about climate science stop being lies.

like if they were openly admitting to just trashing the future, then sure that wouldn't be denialism, but they aren't. they're claiming to solve the climate by building more coal plants.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Rutibex posted:

he would get bulma to do it once he notices a drop in the population of giant river fish

it upsets me that we never talk about the outsize CO2 and methane emissions associated with the exponential expansion of matter characteristic of capsule corps products. bulma has a lot to answer for

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Really dislike bananas but work around wealthy homes all the time with a good cover for having fruit on me. This could work.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
perhaps Rime is implying that it has to be systemic destruction of property, the randomized symbolic destruction isn't inherently valuable

Jokerpilled Drudge has issued a correction as of 17:26 on Oct 8, 2021

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

perhaps Rime is implying that it has to be systemic destruction of property, the randomized symbolic destruction isn't inherently valuable

Can we just get like an irc group going or something

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Must be a whole lot of people who genuinely would do this though. I could see Greta becoming a unabananer. Like that American life episode but its the rich kid who crack/pings but breaks through layers of power in liberal democracy cracking and pinging all along the way. Must be a ton of true believers of neoliberal democracies who ends up in the NGO grift circuit and cracks when faces with the inertia and disinterest. I doubt they'll turn to violent stuff once they come to an acceptance, but petty revenge seems to be a(nowadays anyways) hard-coded human response.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
I always think, in contemplating all this stuff of the RATM video where they did the video for Gorilla Radio I think and it was a clandestino concert on wall Street and at the end they scroll "NYSE shut down due to the crowd, no more money was harmed that day"

Paraphrasing there but, there is some school of direct action that is sort of just blunt and brute force, but doing asymmetrical things would require smarter solutions. There is some downright rad things the EZLN used to do to governments (basically land line ddos'ing their fax machines with pages of all black so they couldn't communicate with certain down stream parties) ages ago. I think that class of direct action is far better than what is often thought of as direct not non violent action (speaking in terms of property, not people obv)

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

None of that is necessary because you can just lift people out of poverty and educate them and they start having kids at less than replacement rate

Lmao

E: sorry I left the post linking across the forums, my bad

kaxman has issued a correction as of 22:39 on Oct 8, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Turns out the secret to solving biosphere collapse was to bring the rest of the world up to American living standards. The resources and energy necessary to do this is left as an exercise for the reader.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
The secret to saving our already-doomed planet is reproductive rights

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

T-Paine posted:

what, like completely abolishing them and not allowing another human to be born???

Go on, I'm listening.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

eSports Chaebol posted:

i just finished How to Blow Up a Pipeline and it's almost like a D&D-acceptable post that anticipates all objections to make a very simple point that could easily be summarized but requires about 150 pages of context for DECORUM. It's basically just, accepting as a given a liberal perspective, if one diligently applies a liberal perspective, direct action against carbon emissions is justified and even necessary. Put another way, it is NOT a radical book. It is about how blowing up pipelines ISN'T radical and if you reject radicalism and embrace common sense, sabotage is still in many cases the answer

I'm not trashing it; I liked and and it has a grounding perspective. Even if it is optimistic at times, the rejection of doomerism doesn't rely on optimism but on maintaining a sober assessment that things could always get worse. Contrary to the title of the book, it's a lesson in how to describe how bad things are and the urgency for change to normal people without sounding crack-pinged

Reading it now and I agree. Still good of course.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

A Russian troll farm posted:

(approaching a stranger on the street) excuse me, did you know that there's nothing to do, nowhere to go, nothing to be done, and no one to know?

*in very rigpa voice* yes

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

T-Paine posted:

It's actually pretty legit that as soon as women have education and full agency over our bodies we generally dont want to tear our vages open and destroy our bodies. That's why countries with good education and freely available birth control actually drop below replacement population and bolster with immigrants heavily.

But we also need to stop making tons of useless loving chotchzies and destroy the concept of cars for personal transportation. And eat less meat.

Anyway were hosed because we're not going to stop using fossil fuels ever and people will never give up personal vehicles.

lmao.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

eSports Chaebol posted:

i just finished How to Blow Up a Pipeline and it's almost like a D&D-acceptable post that anticipates all objections to make a very simple point that could easily be summarized but requires about 150 pages of context for DECORUM. It's basically just, accepting as a given a liberal perspective, if one diligently applies a liberal perspective, direct action against carbon emissions is justified and even necessary. Put another way, it is NOT a radical book. It is about how blowing up pipelines ISN'T radical and if you reject radicalism and embrace common sense, sabotage is still in many cases the answer

I'm not trashing it; I liked and and it has a grounding perspective. Even if it is optimistic at times, the rejection of doomerism doesn't rely on optimism but on maintaining a sober assessment that things could always get worse. Contrary to the title of the book, it's a lesson in how to describe how bad things are and the urgency for change to normal people without sounding crack-pinged

I went in looking for tips on hacking SCADA and was deeply disappointed!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

IAMKOREA posted:

I went in looking for tips on hacking SCADA and was deeply disappointed!

It's pretty easy tbh given how loving stupid so many of the repair people are.

We had a SCADA network at a previous job of mine and the dipshits who dealt with it would cross usb sticks between live network and SCADA constantly. We had to go yell at them at least every few months when malware would pop from one of the usb sticks.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

T-Paine posted:

Depends on what you mean by save and by planet because reproductive rights, universal healthcare, fighting racism, expanding education, labor rights, etc. won't undoom our planet but they are the secret to making life on our doomed planet somewhat less miserable.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Decades posted:

Depends on what you mean by save and by planet because reproductive rights, universal healthcare, fighting racism, expanding education, labor rights, etc. won't undoom our planet but they are the secret to making life on our doomed planet somewhat less miserable.

drat it people. I agree with all of this of course, I was

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

I feel like this thread could use this video.

https://youtu.be/Qc6gVht9CFQ

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Not So Fast posted:

I feel like this thread could use this video.

https://youtu.be/Qc6gVht9CFQ

gently caress u im not watching that

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1446555752433389584

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

"It shouldn't be a priority, no matter who is in office."

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The Demilich posted:

I've never wanted to wedgie a planet before.

You're doing it right now, along with the rest of us :v:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

SKULL.GIF posted:

Turns out the secret to solving biosphere collapse was to bring the rest of the world up to American living standards. The resources and energy necessary to do this is left as an exercise for the reader.

Today's Radio Ecoshock episode actually makes a strong case that its not overpopulation which hosed us, per se, but that a certain density of population and lifestyle creates an exponential impact on the surrounding environment. Eg: Five billion people living an American lifestyle would have the effective impact of a population of fifty billion.

This was all written back in the 70's so I don't think it's 100% accurate, but there's a case to be made for sure.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

It's actually pretty legit that as soon as women have education and full agency over our bodies we generally dont want to tear our vages open and destroy our bodies. That's why countries with good education and freely available birth control actually drop below replacement population and bolster with immigrants heavily.

But we also need to stop making tons of useless loving chotchzies and destroy the concept of cars for personal transportation. And eat less meat.

Anyway were hosed because we're not going to stop using fossil fuels ever and people will never give up personal vehicles.

lmao.

Yeah, the post just made me instantly think of the newsroom clip. "That would've been great, N years ago. Now...*shrug*" I wish we could do all that stuff for the whole world. We should've done all that stuff for the whole world. I can't envision a path from here to there today, given what's coming.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol i listened to that this american life episode and the dude didn’t lose his family because of climate change

he lost them because he’s a loving loser. he called his 10 year old daughter a bitch and a oval office because she didn’t clear her climate speech with him.

cw: self-harm

he drove his older daughter to attempt suicide less because of climate change and more because he was a monster she couldn’t escape and felt trapped by

like by all means be a dick about climate change and restrict your family if you want. people can cope with that. he’s just like a terrible dude.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

anyone notice how the news is not really even talking about efforts to stop, stall, or mitigate climate change but instead how to cope with it? We're hyper-hosed!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

T-Paine posted:

anyone notice how the news is not really even talking about efforts to stop, stall, or mitigate climate change but instead how to cope with it? We're hyper-hosed!
oh word?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

T-Paine posted:

mental health week

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

I know, what would you do without my observations

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Taking bets on when local evening news is going to tout suicide as a coping mechanism.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

T-Paine posted:

you new here from the covid thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

T-Paine posted:

it's very mysterious how the moment people who swore publicly that they'd do questionably productive things about the issue gained the actual power to do those things the narrative switched completely

anyway I'm sure it's a pure coincidence that all those still unprofitable quarter measures aren't having any attention drawn to them by the corporate media

I'm sure they'll start talking about it again before the openly denier other party regains the majority they'd theoretically need to actually stop things from happening