Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

What If finale was great. Even from the A-list actors who I complained about their VAing earlier, like Atwell and Jordan, did really good in this episode. And once again I found Lake Bell did a really great Widow. Sometimes with this show when the original actors do the VA, it just sucks me out of the moment...usually because they've never done voice acting. I think Bell did a great job of sounding "like" a Black Widow without trying to imitate Johansson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I liked What If, but I gotta say I wasn't really a fan of nearly every line from any Black Widow being some lame pithy one-liner. I'm usually fine with quips but they weren't terribly funny or even all that charming, they just kinda sucked all the air out of the room. Tony had the same problem but on some level he's supposed to be annoying in that way, at least.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol that even what if had a mid credits teaser

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Arist posted:

I liked What If, but I gotta say I wasn't really a fan of nearly every line from any Black Widow being some lame pithy one-liner. I'm usually fine with quips but they weren't terribly funny or even all that charming, they just kinda sucked all the air out of the room. Tony had the same problem but on some level he's supposed to be annoying in that way, at least.

I honestly feel like her 4th wall breaking callout of Uatu was great

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently Moon Knight has wrapped filming.

OnimaruXLR posted:

What If wrapped up in a kinda rote fashion, but at least the action bits were fun. I love cartoons. Marvel Studios should make more. Maybe with more of a budget, next time (not that this looked bad for a CG TV series, but...)

They've talked about being happy with how things went with What If and that they're planning on doing more cartoons, just haven't said what they're doing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Liked the last episode although I didn't really buy the reason those particular characters were chosen out of all space and time to save the day. Animation grew on me over the course of the series and the action was always great. I don't think I've liked a Marvel animated series before this since... Avengers EMH?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
sure, why not, I guess

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1446137419598761986

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

If they'd given Thanos a kick-rear end theme song, he'd have his own show too!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Huh. It never occurred to me for them to do this, but I don't mind it. I can think of much worse ideas for a show. :shrug:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean, as long as it's the more comedic agatha and not the really lame energy power battle agatha from the finale i'll definitely try it out

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Yeah at this point I've just learned to deal with quips as part and parcel with Marvel but some of those in the episode felt less natural and more like they've got some internal quota they have to hit.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
MEPHISTO TIME!

Feels like they should probably just do WandaVision season 2 but I guess this will be pretty fun too.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone else hate watching titans? I just... I'm watching like ten total minutes of an episode every week and I don't think I'm poorer for it.

Just let it end, please. Dick got shot in the neck by a random kid and it's more exciting than Donna coming back from the dead with Tim drake.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I was not expecting What if to pull the whole season together like that for the finale. But goddamn if that wasn't some good, old-fashioned, high-powered superhero action. I definitely like the double-finish for Cap and Natasha. That was some really solid work, and I hope they keep that team together for another series.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

MEPHISTO TIME!

Feels like they should probably just do WandaVision season 2 but I guess this will be pretty fun too.

Wandavision season 2 is Doctor Strange according to Feige.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah my understanding is that unlike the other shows they went into Wandavision as a one and done.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Falcon/Winter Soldier also a one and done and S2 is basically Captain America 4

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'd think the Agatha show is going to be more aimed at laying down the tracks for Marvel's spooky side considering they're gonna be launching Blade and the gang, sooner or later

Then again maybe that's Moon Knight?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
All the hype online got me motivated to check out What If and while it was definitely just a lot of hype (wow! that zombie episode was terrible) the last two episodes had some great animation and fight choreography. It'll be cool to see if going forward they get more out there with some tighter writing and better lips.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lobok posted:

Liked the last episode although I didn't really buy the reason those particular characters were chosen out of all space and time to save the day. Animation grew on me over the course of the series and the action was always great. I don't think I've liked a Marvel animated series before this since... Avengers EMH?

i was thinking about this post earlier and yeah there's really no reason at all the watcher should look at killmonger and want him on the team, and i wish gamora got an episode but instead she's just kinda there

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

site posted:

i was thinking about this post earlier and yeah there's really no reason at all the watcher should look at killmonger and want him on the team, and i wish gamora got an episode but instead she's just kinda there

He wanted Killmonger on the team so that he could betray the team and get in a hover fight over the stones with someone, enabling Strange to trap them both. Uatu saw ahead and planned the double cross.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The big revelation that the watcher planned it all to the finest detail didn’t really fly with me since there was absolutely no reason for him to think Ultron would pull his punches so severely. Protection spell or not dude chomped a galaxy. And I can’t buy that the best scenario he could think of was one where a nazi is moments away from incomprehensible godlike power.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TheHan posted:

The big revelation that the watcher planned it all to the finest detail didn’t really fly with me since there was absolutely no reason for him to think Ultron would pull his punches so severely. Protection spell or not dude chomped a galaxy. And I can’t buy that the best scenario he could think of was one where a nazi is moments away from incomprehensible godlike power.

He wasn't pulling his punches. Dr. Strange was just that powerful.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Even with an entire episode focused on him it's honestly still hard to wrap your head around the extent of Dark Strange's power level.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Codependent Poster posted:

He wasn't pulling his punches. Dr. Strange was just that powerful.

Yeah but at no point did he grow to the size of a galaxy and swallow their solar system.

He did do the destroying the entire planet I'm currently on thing though.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Yeah I didn't realize he was supposed to have gotten that powerful by swallowing all those critters, I got the impression he only managed to gunk up his reality so bad by bringing back Christine. Ultron meanwhile put on a ridiculous display, literally punching through dimensions like he's Goku.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah but at no point did he grow to the size of a galaxy and swallow their solar system.

He did do the destroying the entire planet I'm currently on thing though.

That confusing bit where Strange ate something that looked like the soul stone but the soul stone was just on the ground a second later was that moment. Ultron said gently caress it and did his explode the entire universe thing but Doctor Strange just grabbed the explosion and ate it. That's why Ultron was like "What?!"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TheHan posted:

Yeah I didn't realize he was supposed to have gotten that powerful by swallowing all those critters, I got the impression he only managed to gunk up his reality so bad by bringing back Christine. Ultron meanwhile put on a ridiculous display, literally punching through dimensions like he's Goku.

He spent centuries in studying and eating up big, bad cosmic horrors and their magical essences like they were nothing. So like collecting infinity stones, except they're living beings. And he was able to survive the collapse of the universe.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

One like No Prize issue I had with the episode is they remembered the stones were tied to their universe and made a point of it so the grinder didn't work but totally ignored that Ultron's stones should have been paperweights outside his home dimension

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Since it never established what the grinder does there's also the question of why it doesn't work outside of Gamora's home universe, other than plot tension

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Obviously with no Gamora episode the stuff taken from that is all contextless, but what Gamora says wasn't "the infinity stones are useless outside their own universe" it was "the stones are slightly different so my finely tuned plot device doesn't work for them because it has the wrong calibrations." So the "paperweight" thing is irrelevant.

And again... the TVA said they were "paperweights". The TVA (a) were liars who were shown to be lying about a lot of things and (b) were in a specific space outside the timelines where the rules were different.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Codependent Poster posted:

He spent centuries in studying and eating up big, bad cosmic horrors and their magical essences like they were nothing. So like collecting infinity stones, except they're living beings. And he was able to survive the collapse of the universe.

Oh yeah when I stop to really think about it, dude's packing heat, just didn't register with me while I was watching the finale that he'd already gotten to that tier.

Vishass posted:

That confusing bit where Strange ate something that looked like the soul stone but the soul stone was just on the ground a second later was that moment. Ultron said gently caress it and did his explode the entire universe thing but Doctor Strange just grabbed the explosion and ate it. That's why Ultron was like "What?!"

And this scene I didn't understand at all, now that makes a lot more sense.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maybe after Infinity Ultron we can retire the Stones again for a good long while. Hoping with Kang being a new big baddie and the Multiverse Madness they won't need to go to that well anymore. (Strange has one around his neck so I guess we can't be rid of them completely, though.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mllaneza posted:

That was some really solid work, and I hope they keep that team together for another series.

I think at the very least they aren't gonna have Star Lord T'Challa show up again.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Lobok posted:

Even with an entire episode focused on him it's honestly still hard to wrap your head around the extent of Dark Strange's power level.

I think the measuring stick for power was supposed to be sensing The Watcher. Ultron couldn't until he got all the stones but Strange only had the time stone and could sense him, putting him around Ultron's level just from munching on demons for a century. I wonder if the Gamora episode was supposed to have another instance of someone spotting Uatu, rule of threes might have hammered it home better.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I think at the very least they aren't gonna have Star Lord T'Challa show up again.

Probably not, though allegedly they were initially so stoked about that episode they hand plans for a spin-off of some kind.

This series seems perfectly designed for spin-offs and toys.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lobok posted:

Maybe after Infinity Ultron we can retire the Stones again for a good long while. Hoping with Kang being a new big baddie and the Multiverse Madness they won't need to go to that well anymore. (Strange has one around his neck so I guess we can't be rid of them completely, though.)

They'll just invent Kang's time stones

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My personal theory is we're gonna have like a "energy can not be destroyed only changed" type thing where the stones are gone but their power is still floating around the universe causing problems and movie situations. And in theory you could do a kind of backdoor Infinity Watch thing where people like Wanda and Vision become the keepers of individual stone powers. Then down the line they can bring Adam Warlock/Magus in or have Thanos show back up alongside Death or something for a big crazy crossover.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My theory is that, like Ultron said, the stones are all unique. Different stones from different universes have different power levels, and those particular stones are capable of working outside of their home universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Skwirl posted:

I was thinking of the creative team, but Star Lord T'Challa is indeed ripe for a spinoff.