Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The season that they painted leftover ranger costumes and had them fight in a small room was when I checked out. The footage had ran out and Grimlord was now holding court in a school gym. Even at 6 this was alot to expect me to believe.

SSSS was forever cool and came on before school at like 6:30am. The god tier timeslot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Kilokhan is a rad villain name for a computer person.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Kilokhan is a rad villain name for a computer person.

And to make it even better he was voiced by Tim Curry

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

RBX posted:

The season that they painted leftover ranger costumes and had them fight in a small room was when I checked out. The footage had ran out and Grimlord was now holding court in a school gym. Even at 6 this was alot to expect me to believe.

SSSS was forever cool and came on before school at like 6:30am. The god tier timeslot.

In Chicago it came on while I was on the school bus so I only managed to see less than five episodes to this day.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Another "what if" that's occurred to me is centered around the attempted Bulk and Skull Spinoff. It would have centered on them inheriting a run down hotel from their uncle and dealing with weird guests like a kids Fawlty Towers or a proto Josh and Drake. But it never completed a pilot.

Around the same time this was in early development and they were still in every Zeo episode, Beetleborgs came out and did fairly well. I think it ran two seasons. If only it had come into development a couple years later, I think you could have combined the two.

Bulk and Skull go to their uncle's haunted hotel, find a ghost that grants wishes, and become the Beetleborgs with a third character(their uncle Phenomenous). They deal with keeping the universal monster guys away from guests and crazy hotel maintenance while having to go out and battle actual dangerous monsters as Beetleborgs.

Extremely late, but I seem to recall one of the characters in the Bulk and Skull spinoff was going to be a Mexican Elvis impersonator.

This, in my eyes, is the most reasonable explanation for Flabber's clothes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

JT Smiley posted:

In Chicago it came on while I was on the school bus so I only managed to see less than five episodes to this day.
It was in the timeslot right before I had to leave to walk to school, so I'd spend my whole walk thinkin' about it, and VR Troopers.

This was after Power Rangers moved from mornings to the afternoons in my market.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Ranger comics developments this month:

Zartus basically set up Zedd as a patsy to justify Eltar's takeover of the Earth.
Eltar called in a team of not-ranger heroes that resemble various comic heroes. They act friendly but secretly aren't.
It's suggested these guys work with the rangers to defeat Zedd permanently though the betrayal is obvious.
Zartus says he wants to take the Power Coins with him when this is all done because "we need soldiers, not teenagers with attitude."
Zordon is publicly agreeing with everything but quietly knows what's going on and is formulating some plan with the rangers.

Also, Billy is building something known only to him.

Meanwhile, the Omegas met the Yellow Emissary
They learn that Eltar has gone mad for power.
It turns out that the Empyreals that are wiping out planets are former emissaries that are now evil.
Drakkon frees himself from the Collar of Subjugation.
Yellow Emissary asks the Omegas for death, choosing to die over becoming an Empyreal. Omegas don't want to do that.
The other two Empyreals attack the planet. Blue has a conversation with Drakkon's mind and thanks him for his service.
Jason asks for an evac , but Drakkon has powers back and now has the ship and a new slightly new costume. It looks like his outfit is now partially busted and rather than seeing a face in the helmet like most "blown out visor" shots in tokusatsu he's just got red energy holding his form? Or he might be part Empyreal now. Not sure. The man is crackling red energy though.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 25, 2021

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Void Knight just sells the whole "Darksied sitting on couches" thing.

Also his annoyed "Can you change them back?" at the sight of the two generals being mindswapped is great.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I need to give Dino Fury props for:

1. Mostly having really smart villain plans

and

2. They actually let Void Knight 'win', or at the very least, not-lose, semi-often. It's basically a toss-up for whether after a Zord fight, Void Knight/Mucus will nab the Sporix or the Rangers. Sure, the Rangers will overcome the effort in the end, but like, with stuff like the teleportation and communication blocker from the woods episode, or the phone scrambler from the gym one, they come out of it with more Sporix than they went into it

I still wonder what will happen when Void Knight gets enough Sporix to heal the blonde woman. Will that let him join the good guys for good (either keeping the Gaisolg armor or switching over to Ryusoul Brown?), because... say... Eras's equivalent takes over main villain position?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The one thing I'd say is Void Knight could have a lot more sporix if he'd just quietly collect it, and if when aspirin beast came to him, instead of sending it after the rangers he killed it and turned it back into sporix.

The most sporix he got was in the episode where he put up a weather balloon trapping the rangers in the woods so he could go around collecting it.

But they were going to spend the weekend in the woods already! He could have just gone around as a dude collecting the stuff!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The one thing I'd say is Void Knight could have a lot more sporix if he'd just quietly collect it, and if when aspirin beast came to him, instead of sending it after the rangers he killed it and turned it back into sporix.

The most sporix he got was in the episode where he put up a weather balloon trapping the rangers in the woods so he could go around collecting it.

But they were going to spend the weekend in the woods already! He could have just gone around as a dude collecting the stuff!

Yeah but that wouldn't be fun

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's a consistent villain plan in power rangers. Send a monster or problem to "distract the rangers" while you do your real plan, but if you hadn't "distracted" them they'd never have known you were up to anything in the first place

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Void Knight takes off his armor, just walks around town picking up inactive Sporix. No one would ever know...but also that would be kind of a boring episode, so instead we're going to have a complicated plot where Mucus puts on a disguise to distract the rangers.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Pyroi posted:

Void Knight takes off his armor, just walks around town picking up inactive Sporix. No one would ever know...but also that would be kind of a boring episode, so instead we're going to have a complicated plot where Mucus puts on a disguise to distract the rangers.

Slyther's already got 'disguise and illusion general' covered

speaking of, Slyther disguising himself to distract or confuse the rangers or achieve a goal has happened like 4 times, I think the Rangers should consider some sort of countermeasure or at least be suspicious of anyone wacky and wearing blue

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finally found a means of watching the Zedd episode, that wasn’t even close to the original voice but it worked well enough and sounded better than the guy that dubbed him in Beast Morphers at least (and for some reason the Dino Fury version sounded better in the dubbed clips than he did in the actual episode)

Hope they make good on his promise to come back one day as wel.

I forget, was the Sorcerer an original monster suit or something from Ryusoulger?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 5, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think they made an original costume of a monster using human skeletons as a cape, though I could be wrong.

The whole season will be in Netflix on October 15 by the way

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Reaghoul is based on the Necromancer Minosaur.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pyroi posted:

Reaghoul is based on the Necromancer Minosaur.

That was it, thanks.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Honestly just take the voice filter away next time (assuming there is a next time) and Andrew Laing would make a fine new Zedd in my opinion.

Also I’m still in his introduction arc but so far the Dino Fury Gold Ranger is a major step up from his Sentai counterpart.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 6, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My only issue with the Zedd voice is he needs to try to better mimic the conjugation of the original. Not so much the raspy "rawwwrrr"-ness, but Zedd was at his best when he put emphasis on words that implied a sneering mockery. The script was good enough that you can imagine the OG Zedd reading some of those lines ("Oh how I've MISSED you power pipsqueaks!") but the problem is primarily in how villain voices in PR are forever loud angry shouting anymore. Maybe that's what the director actually wants.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/super7store/status/1445781036944658432

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It is interesting that one of the Morphin Masters specifically appears to Aiyon (the Gold Ranger) to warn him of Zedd’s possible return (and the other rangers reference their encounter with him in the Halloween episode).

Makes me wonder if the writers have some specific plan in mind for ol’ Ed in the near future.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RBX posted:

SSSS had the interesting take on not expecting the actors to do any of the action beats, relying basically only on the toku footage, which I think resulted in slightly better overall performances.

EDIT: Also, more comics stuff: Candice/Zelya (Skull's girlfriend/the good Eltarian that Zedd spilled his backstory to) realised Zophram is evil cuz the Empyrials blew up all the worlds she'd been to and recommended against Eltar inviting to be their special friends. She then told the Rangers and Zordon, and also told Zordon Zedd's secret identity.

Zordon and Zedd have a heart to heart and it turns out Zedd only did it to let Zordon twist in the wind because he's mad Zordon won't become a tyrant and blow up his enemies, I think?

Rangers go around trying to gather all their allies. Tommy and Matt are gonna fight cuz Tommy thinks Matt's being manipulated just like he was as Green by an amoral woman. (Also subtextually dudes being gross about Kim) Billy goes to say sorry to Zordon after Aisha talks him around. Zophram decides gently caress it, time to stop pretending to be nice and after Zordon won't go along with his pitch, he SMASHES THE TUBE.

I do like how much this is clearly meant for long-time fans to assume this is leading to the Zeo stuff, but it could easily go elsewhere at this point.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 8, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Gaz-L posted:

Zordon and Zedd have a heart to heart and it turns out Zedd only did it to let Zordon twist in the wind because he's mad Zordon won't become a tyrant and blow up his enemies, I think?
I’m not certain, but I think Zedd is upset that Zordon encouraged him to touch the Crystal, speaking of how there’s no one more morally righteous to judge light and dark, only to then take over as Supreme Guardian afterward. Zordon did so for what he feels are the right reasons, serving his people, but Zedd had already reached breaking point with how Eltar does things.

While Zedd probably feels some manner of betrayal he is more pissed that Zordon continues to keep to the ideals of the Eltar society that he views as inevitable losers.

I’m curious to see how they handwave the purification shockwave from the end of In Space. Drakkon’s creator said that he had Drakkon destroy the Command Center terminals after brand people informed him that destroying Zordon’s tube would actually wipe out all known evil.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My explanation for that is the tube was always just a tv screen you were viewing Zordon through, until that little Muppet with the turbo keys used his keys to "free" him and take him home. He was still just a head in a tube but now actually in their dimension.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

My explanation for that is the tube was always just a tv screen you were viewing Zordon through, until that little Muppet with the turbo keys used his keys to "free" him and take him home. He was still just a head in a tube but now actually in their dimension.

I mean, that is what was going on.

They spell it out quite clearly- Zordon is trapped in another dimension, the tube is the only way we can speak with him. By the time he did get freed, he was reduced to nothing but pure energy.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, so, what's everyone's thoughts on Dino Fury Season 1 now that it's wrapped up?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not too bad honestly, I actually like it better than Ryusoulger in a lot of aspects.

They’d better make good on Zedd’s promise to return at some point though (considering one of the Morphin Masters specifically warned Aiyon about him that makes me think he might wind up being a bit more important than just a random cameo)

The whole thing about Amelia’s missing parents is probably going to be a plot point eventually as well.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I haven't watched it yet, I'm going to watch the last ten episodes when they come out on Netflix next week. Really liked the first 11 though.

Also while trying to remember Lerigot's name earlier my mind settled on "Leonidas", and I want to see that version of Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

They spell it out quite clearly- Zordon is trapped in another dimension, the tube is the only way we can speak with him. By the time he did get freed, he was reduced to nothing but pure energy.

All I'm pointing out is that the Saban people controlling the IP/lore/whatever told Higgins (according to one of his interviews) that Drakkon couldn't destroy the tube in his origin story because it would cause the shockwave and be self defeating, so that spread was changed to him breaking the control panels to kill Zordon instead. Maybe there's different people now since it's all fantasy speculative theory.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Dino Fury pulled me back into the franchise at a point when I had stopped watching PR and Sentai for years. While it's not perfect it definitely feels like a return to form for the franchise. It's a shame the show is dragged down by all the Jane/j-borg nonsense.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Gaz-L posted:

SSSS had the interesting take on not expecting the actors to do any of the action beats, relying basically only on the toku footage, which I think resulted in slightly better overall performances.

EDIT: Also, more comics stuff: Candice/Zelya (Skull's girlfriend/the good Eltarian that Zedd spilled his backstory to) realised Zophram is evil cuz the Empyrials blew up all the worlds she'd been to and recommended against Eltar inviting to be their special friends. She then told the Rangers and Zordon, and also told Zordon Zedd's secret identity.

Rangers go around trying to gather all their allies. Tommy and Matt are gonna fight cuz Tommy thinks Matt's being manipulated just like he was as Green by an amoral woman. (Also subtextually dudes being gross about Kim) Billy goes to say sorry to Zordon after Aisha talks him around. Zophram decides gently caress it, time to stop pretending to be nice and after Zordon won't go along with his pitch, he SMASHES THE TUBE.

I do like how much this is clearly meant for long-time fans to assume this is leading to the Zeo stuff, but it could easily go elsewhere at this point.

Well, at least the comics are shaping up to be different! Thanks for reminding me to check for the new issue.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

All I'm pointing out is that the Saban people controlling the IP/lore/whatever told Higgins (according to one of his interviews) that Drakkon couldn't destroy the tube in his origin story because it would cause the shockwave and be self defeating, so that spread was changed to him breaking the control panels to kill Zordon instead. Maybe there's different people now since it's all fantasy speculative theory.

I was strictly talking about the show's continuity, that they were right in what they thought.

I'm not reading the comics yet. I will but

Not yet. Higgins and I creatively do not ying yang. Not after Ultraman and Radiant Black volume 1.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The comics are good, although I do lament the loss of GGPR's daily life melodrama focus.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On the subject of Dino Fury, since we know from the Sentai that Void Knight’s armor eventually becomes an upgrade for the Red Ranger I wonder if it’s possible that Zedd will return as promised and take over as the big bad near the end (possibly mutating into the Ryusoulger final boss though I’m not sure how I’d feel about that).

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Isn't next year an anniversary? I think Zedd is back for that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RBX posted:

Isn't next year an anniversary? I think Zedd is back for that.

Didn’t we just have an anniversary with Beast Morphers (and also Ninja Steel)?

Either way, with his promise to return at the end of the Halloween episode and one of the Morphin Masters specifically warning about said return in a following episode that seems like some pretty blatant foreshadowing that we haven’t seen the last of Zeddy boy.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 9, 2021

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

RBX posted:

Isn't next year an anniversary?

Technically, all years are anniversaries.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

I'm not reading the comics yet. I will but

Not yet. Higgins and I creatively do not ying yang. Not after Ultraman and Radiant Black volume 1.

Higgins hasn't written the comic for a couple years now. You can start at MMPR issue 40 and skip his run completely and you won't miss much you didn't already know.

If you're at all familiar with Star Trek, I'll just say this storyline has sort of felt like an accelerated version of Deep Space Nine. Eltar is a lot like a toku version of The Dominion, and the only reason they haven't burned Earth/DS9 to cinders is because No Changeling Has Ever Harmed Another. And the last issue seems to have been the "mining the wormhole" moment.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/super7store/status/1447593594710286338