Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Sirotan posted:

I'd like to get a document scanner to reduce the amount of paperwork I'm storing and my friends in IT who were never printer admins can't seem to understand why I'm looking at standalone document scanners with USB connections over something like a Brother MFP. I might compromise and get one that is a combo bed scanner and ADF, but never a printer. No thank you, do not want.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

A ScanSnap will have higher throughput and better file naming/splitting options than any shittastic low end MFP.

Unless you have to scan literal mountains of paper, a ScanSnap is the correct answer. When I was at an MSP, it was the only one we sold, for good reason.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
loving Discord.

I opened a support ticket with them in late August to get my son's phone number removed from my account (he thought he was logged in as him when he added his phone number and now my account has his phone number) and they've been fumbling the football for almost two months now and they helpfully tell me just now how I can associated a phone number with my account.

No, fucknuts.

I do not want to swap out his phone number with a different phone number.
I do not want any phone number associated with this account at all.
I do not want help associating a new phone number with this account.

I want a process that actually removes the phone number from my account and doesn't instead put my account on timeout for 1-3 days.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Agrikk posted:

You'll probably just be automatically banned in that case after removing it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Hello welcome to the US where sometimes, especially in the financial world, people demand wet signatures, and yes you can scan and email the form you've printed and signed but an edited PDF with an image of a signature put into it or a digitally signed PDF (much less Docusign) is NOT acceptable because :confused:

:911:

lol I just sold a house for an absurd amount of money with digital signatures, I will never understand lawyers in 2021 who still peddle this nonsense when (I think) every state bar association supports e-signature on the basis of a long history of established acceptability before a judge

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

A ScanSnap will have higher throughput and better file naming/splitting options than any shittastic low end MFP. I freakin' love mine and it has absolutely enabled me for 15 years now to be completely paperless for inbound snail mail other than the few things I feel like I should have a paper copy of (vehicle registration cards, tax documents, etc).

Happiness Commando posted:

Unless you have to scan literal mountains of paper, a ScanSnap is the correct answer. When I was at an MSP, it was the only one we sold, for good reason.

This is exactly what I need, thanks. :tipshat: There are a ton of used ones on ebay for decent prices, might press my luck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Agrikk posted:

loving Discord.

I opened a support ticket with them in late August to get my son's phone number removed from my account (he thought he was logged in as him when he added his phone number and now my account has his phone number) and they've been fumbling the football for almost two months now and they helpfully tell me just now how I can associated a phone number with my account.

No, fucknuts.

I want a process that actually removes the phone number from my account and doesn't instead put my account on timeout for 1-3 days.

You aren’t going to get them to do anything but swap. I would wager that is the case for every company out there that has that field for user verification purposes. Once you confirm a phone, a phone has to be part of your account or you have to to start a new account.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I have an HP inkjet wifi printer that my wife uses for homeschooling more than anything else and we're looking into a Brother ecotank (because there is no earthly loving reasonable reason we should be on our 3rd set of cartridges after less than a year of owning it). She needs to print stuff sometimes, especially coloring pages. :shobon:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Sickening posted:

You aren’t going to get them to do anything but swap. I would wager that is the case for every company out there that has that field for user verification purposes. Once you confirm a phone, a phone has to be part of your account or you have to to start a new account.

But that’s the crazy part. Given that you can create an account and not provide a phone number, you would think that not having a phone number could be part of the deal including removing the phone number once established.

The inconsistency really chaps my hide.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Agrikk posted:

But that’s the crazy part. Given that you can create an account and not provide a phone number, you would think that not having a phone number could be part of the deal including removing the phone number once established.

I feel like its pretty consistent in the industry. The phone number has value to discord beyond the protections it might offer your account vs not having a number. They want the phone number of their users for a number of reasons.

Not having a phone number as a requirement for creating an account is just discord trying to make the min requirements low enough to get people into the system as easy as possible.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What if he'd approached them with "not my phone number, don't know who's it is, hacked!!"

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

I feel like its pretty consistent in the industry. The phone number has value to discord beyond the protections it might offer your account vs not having a number. They want the phone number of their users for a number of reasons.

Not having a phone number as a requirement for creating an account is just discord trying to make the min requirements low enough to get people into the system as easy as possible.

Right, but having phone numbers all over the place makes those data leaks a shitton worse. An easy way to dox pretty much every PC gamer? Great!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Well, this looks like every other company out there. They found out you have a piece of data, they're not gonna give it up no matter what. Look at Amazon. The require one to have a credit card attached to the account. There is absolutely no need for that requirement to exist. Ever. I can go and fetch the CC and think twice about the purchase I'm making while in the checkout page, thank you very much. But that's not in Amazon's interest. So, you better add a drat CC there and click that "One click buy" button and transfer yet another $10 to Bezos' account for more cocaine and hookers. Data leaks? They have been good so far (as far as I know) but when one will happen ... haha, it's gonna hurt.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Jack B Nimble posted:

What if he'd approached them with "not my phone number, don't know who's it is, hacked!!"

“Oh, we’re very sorry to hear that sir. We’d be happy to get that fixed for you, as your account security is of paramount importance to us. However, we’ll first need to add your phone number so our password reset system can text you the one-time code you’ll use to set a new password on your account.”

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Agrikk posted:

loving Discord.

No, fucknuts.

Yeah once an Discord account gets flagged for phone verification, that's it.

Either you put your number in instead of his or start a new account, those are your two choices.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How often do you have to actually use the phone for verification? Could you get a Google Voice number, validate with that, and then never use it again?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I got tied of Twitter prompting for a login, so created a Twitter account just for browsing Twitter, with no phone number.

They immediately locked the account and won't unlock it until I put in a phone number.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

I got tied of Twitter prompting for a login, so created a Twitter account just for browsing Twitter, with no phone number.

They immediately locked the account and won't unlock it until I put in a phone number.

While infuriating, there can be an argument to be made why Twitter and Discord want data: They're free services, they need something to sell to make a buck. For companies that I'm actually giving money to, to store anything more than the minimum required for the transaction to take place is not excusable. But, this is the world we're living in and the only solution is legislative action.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How often do you have to actually use the phone for verification? Could you get a Google Voice number, validate with that, and then never use it again?

I can't remember if they accept Voice numbers or not

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Buff Hardback posted:

I can't remember if they accept Voice numbers or not

No VOIP and periodic checking to ensure you did not port it to a VOIP provider

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Assuming they’re using the fairly common `libphonenumber` phone parsing and validation library, the OP might be able to get away with using a number and exchange typically used for testing under the NANP (ex. +1 ###-958-0123).

libphonenumber demo posted:

****Validation Results:****
Result from isPossibleNumber(): true
Result from isValidNumber(): true
Phone Number region: US
Result from getNumberType(): FIXED_LINE_OR_MOBILE

Of course, that will never be able to successfully verify the number, but if the goal is just to get Discord to forget about the old number without punching some actual person’s phone number in there, that might be enough.

YMMV, use at your own risk, etc., etc.

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 9, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

You can get past a lot of crap by visiting twitter.com/asdfasdfs or whatever to get past their nag screens and on the resulting 404 page search for whatever topic you were after.

They're still jerks, but there are loopholes!

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Agrikk posted:

Ahem you know what really grinds my gears is AWS demanding a phone number for setting up an account, and not allowing you to reuse a number that's already associated with an AWS account. (According to Google results adding a number used to be optional, but I can tell you from personal experience three days ago it is no longer optional).

Something something glass houses my friend. You're definitely the one person who can change that right? OK good.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The new call of duty game does phone number verification too. You can play for free with a phone number, but it won’t accept my cell, VoIP, or office numbers so …? Guess I won’t play it.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

You're lucky, they banned mine (which had never sent a tweet) and denied my appeal for... reasons? (which they didn't provide)

Partycat posted:

The new call of duty game does phone number verification too. You can play for free with a phone number, but it won’t accept my cell, VoIP, or office numbers so …? Guess I won’t play it.

A lot of them you can get around using a Canadian VOIP number because Canada has made it sort of a pain to do carrier lookups.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 9, 2021

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

A service that exists for temporary phone numbers to tie services to sounds like something that is needed.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Onboarding has been slow. I had to upgrade a bunch of computers and put all of the relevant stuff on them (no, its not yet automated) but half of the things I needed to install required auths and passwords that I don't presently have access to. Meanwhile my trainer was fairly busy all day in meetings and putting out bigger fires, though that is in no way his fault as there is quite a lot to do. It's rare to be braying for more work to do but here I am lol

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

chin up everything sucks posted:

A service that exists for temporary phone numbers to tie services to sounds like something that is needed.
There are a bunch of them, but there are ways to tell that those are temporary numbers, and most services don't allow them (I've tried several).

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

chin up everything sucks posted:

You can get regular rear end phone numbers all day, the issue is finding a provider that is willing to lie for you about what kind of carrier they are when the number gets looked up. It's very simple and inexpensive (half a penny through Twilio without any kind of contract) to do carrier lookups on numbers people enter into your service to just bounce anything that isn't registered as a mobile number.

To be allowed to perform carrier lookups on Canadian numbers (even through a third party) you need a contract with the Canadian Royal Phone Number Authority or what-the-gently caress which is a slightly higher bar and if a service hasn't bothered then it comes down to how it handles cases where it can't retrieve carrier data.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 9, 2021

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

They must have arranged that , my DID is in Manitoba.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You’d think that having an Android TV and a Google Nest Hello doorbell on the same Wi-Fi network would mean you could get a pop-up on your TV when someone rang the doorbell, maybe with a little PiP of the camera feed, but let me tell you, the average attention span of a Google product manager doesn’t stretch to that.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

You’d think that having an Android TV and a Google Nest Hello doorbell on the same Wi-Fi network would mean you could get a pop-up on your TV when someone rang the doorbell, maybe with a little PiP of the camera feed, but let me tell you, the average attention span of a Google product manager doesn’t stretch to that.

That's because their attention only lasts as long as it takes to launch the product and gently caress off with a promotion.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Hello welcome to the US where sometimes, especially in the financial world, people demand wet signatures, and yes you can scan and email the form you've printed and signed but an edited PDF with an image of a signature put into it or a digitally signed PDF (much less Docusign) is NOT acceptable because :confused:

This reminds me of Healthcare in the UK. It took a government minister to announce to the nation that one of the things he wanted to do was "axe the fax" aka ban the NHS from being allowed to purchase new fax machines (I think that was the strapline) and by the magic of google, apparently the deadline was April 2020 and they had managed to get rid of 42% of faxes by September 2020(!).

I think another year later and document scanning technologies are a little bit more prevalent now but there used to be a time where you could cause mass panic to anyone employed by the NHS by suggesting they move away from faxes.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

angry armadillo posted:

This reminds me of Healthcare in the UK. It took a government minister to announce to the nation that one of the things he wanted to do was "axe the fax" aka ban the NHS from being allowed to purchase new fax machines (I think that was the strapline) and by the magic of google, apparently the deadline was April 2020 and they had managed to get rid of 42% of faxes by September 2020(!).

I think another year later and document scanning technologies are a little bit more prevalent now but there used to be a time where you could cause mass panic to anyone employed by the NHS by suggesting they move away from faxes.

That actually doesn’t sound like a terrible result for government speed. And it’s practically benign compared to some of the Tories’ other plans for public services.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

That I can help with.

https://old.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/p5lgcv/twitter_new_filters_needed_annoying_pop/h96uf9a/

The loose version is: stay logged out, remove twitter cookies, prevent them from making new cookies and it just works. That link's an adblock script to do it for you.

it isn't just you fed up with it.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

angry armadillo posted:

The "solution" the NHS was to use Email, and by email I mean "Fax to Email". There are cross partnership teams as well as health and social care teams that use to send content and will then send an email to the team to let them know they've sent a fax and to expect it.

loving Faxes

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

One place I worked people raged about taking faces away

Most of the fax machines were double digits for the year

One or two were being used regularly but that was it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Ahem you know what really grinds my gears is AWS demanding a phone number for setting up an account, and not allowing you to reuse a number that's already associated with an AWS account. (According to Google results adding a number used to be optional, but I can tell you from personal experience three days ago it is no longer optional).

Something something glass houses my friend. You're definitely the one person who can change that right? OK good.

I absolutely agree with you that phone numbers should be reusable. I apologize that my decision to do it this way has caused such headaches for you and countless others. I’ll go dip into the auth code straight away and get that fixed right up.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

That actually doesn’t sound like a terrible result for government speed. And it’s practically benign compared to some of the Tories’ other plans for public services.

True. They did move on it, I guess my real objection is faxes in 2020.

It reminds me of one of the first projects I got involved in when I started in IT - we had printers all over the place and the head of IT decided a consolidation plan + policy that said "no manager will have a personal printer" basically a similar drive to reduce our assets and become more efficient I guess.

We let everyone keep their printers until stores ran out of ink stock and then we collected in printers as they ran dry...

All worked fine until months after and I got a call from a saying "hey my printer has broke can you take a look?"
"Your what now?"
"My printer silly!"
"Erm sure"

I just played along wondering how on earth this person had a printer- when I got there and said these were supposed to go ages ago why is it still going?

Turned out they had been smuggling their own cartridges in so they never had to own up and have it collected- also because it was back in the days of parallel poets (heh I forgot that part) we obviously just overlooked it.

Interesting lengths that people go to, in order to avoid change I guess

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You can blame the court system. For a very long time faxes were given more legal weight than email. Even today, you'll get people saying that they are exempt from a lot of security controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Yeah, poo poo is pretty dumb here. State law says that digital signatures are just as valid as wet. We work with a state agency that uses Docusign as part of its workflow. Yet, there is a side process to handle wet signatures because some parties don't play nice, including the state attorney general. Why have laws if you are just going to ignore them? And if someone wants a contract with the government, make them loving use Docusign or give the deal to someone else. Come on, people.