Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
Okay guys, I want to get another sapphire bonus, here's my situation.

I'm confident I'm under 5/24.
More than 5 years ago I opened and closed a CSP for a Sapphire bonus.
My second Sapphire bonus was from a CSR almost 4 years ago.

When I hit 48 months after CSR opening, I would like to:
- Downgrade my CSR to a Chase Freedom Unlimited
- Apply again for CSP

Will I be able to get a third Sapphire bonus, or does my old CSP preclude me from this? FWIW, my closed CSP still shows up on my chase account website.

Is there anything fancy I would need to do other than downgrade and then apply? Waiting periods, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Are there any cards that do more than 3% on bars and restaurants? I know the Savor does 4% but the $95 AF is dissuading me. I got a Savor right before covid so after the no AF period expired, I PCed to a Quicksilver.

I’m also traveling a bit more but not a ton. Is there anything with no AF that will do more than the 3% on up to $1500 per quarter I get from my BoA Cash Rewards? I mainly travel from DC to NYC so it’s hotels and Amtrak.

If there’s a card that could do 5% on both dining and travel but requires a modest AF, that could work.

I haven’t opened any new cards since the Savor back in January 2020. My only fee card is an Amex Blue Cash Preferred and my credit score is 800+.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 9, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

USBank Altitude does 4% cash back on restaurants for no annual fee. The Citi Custom Cash also has restaurants as one of its 5% categories

astral
Apr 26, 2004

That's the Altitude Go, not to be confused with Altitude Connect or Altitude Reserve.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
The chase sapphire reserve does 3.0% but you get 4.5 at redemption including “pay yourself back”. Worth looking into, tons of perks but a steep AF, which mostly you get back anyways if you are traveling or eating at restaurants.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
You can also do better by combining the Wells Fargo Propel with their business or Visa Signature card. If those are all still around.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

It says my FICO score dropped from 738 to 719? Why did it go down if I have never missed a single payment? A couple of months I even paid my CC bill a bit early.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Parrotine posted:

It says my FICO score dropped from 738 to 719? Why did it go down if I have never missed a single payment? A couple of months I even paid my CC bill a bit early.

Who is "it"? Most places will tell you what recent changes they've seen on your credit file.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

saintonan posted:

Who is "it"? Most places will tell you what recent changes they've seen on your credit file.

My Bank of America CC.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
The most likely reason is your credit card utilization is higher this month. This aspect of your credit score has no history, it's just the percent of your available credit that you actually used based on your last statement. I wouldn't worry about it, just keep paying your credit cards on time and your score will trend upwards.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Ah! You know? It could also be because I opened a Target CC a few months ago. My folks told me sometimes opening a new card hurts your FICO score a bit so that would make more sense.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

USBank Altitude does 4% cash back on restaurants for no annual fee. The Citi Custom Cash also has restaurants as one of its 5% categories
Citi Custom Cash only does 5% on up to $500/mo so I ended up applying for the Altitude Go which doesn't have a spending cap. This puts it pretty on par with the original no AF Savor which I missed out on.

I still miss the Uber Visa. 5% on dining with cell phone insurance and no fee was too good to be true, although Verizon doesn't allow you use a CC for autopay. :mad:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Citi Custom Cash only does 5% on up to $500/mo so I ended up applying for the Altitude Go which doesn't have a spending cap. This puts it pretty on par with the original no AF Savor which I missed out on.

I still miss the Uber Visa. 5% on dining with cell phone insurance and no fee was too good to be true, although Verizon doesn't allow you use a CC for autopay. :mad:

Does Verizon let you use the Paypal Key, which is considered a debit card?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

They better not tell the credit card company that I put my Verizon bill on every month.

saintonan fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 10, 2021

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

saintonan posted:

They better not tell the credit card company that I put my Verizon bill on every month.

In order to qualify for the $10 autopay discount, you have to use a debit card or link a bank account.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

In order to qualify for the $10 autopay discount, you have to use a debit card or link a bank account.

That must be new. I get the autopay discount, but I'm on a grandfathered plan. Thinking about it, though, I get 5% cb from US Bank CashPlus, so with the number of lines I have it'd still be beneficial to do it through that card even if I didn't get the autopay discount.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

astral posted:

Does Verizon let you use the Paypal Key, which is considered a debit card?

Reddit seems to suggest that it DOES work with a Paypal Key, but I can't test this myself since my paypal account apparently isn't yet eligible for PayPal Key?

Another important question - for cash back purposes, does it hit the credit card as a generic PayPal purchase or as a cell phone company purchase?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Reddit seems to suggest that it DOES work with a Paypal Key, but I can't test this myself since my paypal account apparently isn't yet eligible for PayPal Key?

Another important question - for cash back purposes, does it hit the credit card as a generic PayPal purchase or as a cell phone company purchase?

Categories are normally passed through.

DoC had this note about eligibility:

quote:

PayPal Key is only available for US account holders with PayPal Cash balance account or PayPal Cash Plus balance account. You need the upper level verified PayPal account in order to be eligible. Verify yourself completely and hopefully it’ll pop up for you eventually.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Hmm, maybe that's why i don't have it. I have no idea what kind of PayPal account I have. I don't have any bank accounts linked to it, only credit cards. So it's very likely I don't have a cash balance account or whatever.

Also my account doesn't say anything about needing further verification. The only things I haven't added are a photo and my SSN, and hell no I'm not giving PayPal my SSN.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

New Chase benefit/promo on most cards: Free Instacart Express through April 30 and $10 off your next order of $35+ (ends 1/31/22). You can cancel the membership in advance so it doesn't auto-renew.

You are ineligible for this offer if you were an Instacart Express member as of September 30 or later.

Link: https://www.instacart.com/chase
Terms: https://www.instacart.com/help/section/360007996832/4407512598548

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Parrotine posted:

Ah! You know? It could also be because I opened a Target CC a few months ago. My folks told me sometimes opening a new card hurts your FICO score a bit so that would make more sense.

Yep. Opening a new account lowers your average age of accounts, which accounts for 15% of your FICO score.

astral posted:

New Chase benefit/promo on most cards: Free Instacart Express through April 30 and $10 off your next order of $35+ (ends 1/31/22). You can cancel the membership in advance so it doesn't auto-renew.

You are ineligible for this offer if you were an Instacart Express member as of September 30 or later.

Link: https://www.instacart.com/chase
Terms: https://www.instacart.com/help/section/360007996832/4407512598548

Neat.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Our landlord is offering rental reporting through Esusu. I’m not particularly interested in the score aspect, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it making your life easier in future rentals or anything like that.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Amex Platinum is offering a free WalMart+ subscription.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Upgrade posted:

Amex Platinum is offering a free WalMart+ subscription.

The Amex offers are all over the map aren't they? Equinox Gym, Saks, and Walmart?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Speaking of Amex, they have some increased offers through their reservation service Resy for Green, Gold (and Rose Gold), and Platinum:

https://resy.com/amex-offers?date=2021-10-15&seats=2

Remember that these are charge cards (must pay off every statement cycle), not credit cards. While you can product change between charge cards, Amex does not offer one with no annual fee; if you want to cancel them after the first year with points left over then you should make sure to get one of their no-AF membership rewards credit cards to keep your points alive.

Quick summaries of offers and benefits; visit offer&benefit terms pages to get the full info:

Plat: 125k points when you spend $6k in 6 months, 15x back on restaurants and shop small in the first 6 months. $695 AF. $200 hotel credit. 5x on flights (direct from airline or amex travel) or prepaid hotels (amex travel). Regular platinum benefits like $200 in uber cash per year, $200 airline incidental fees, access to Centurion lounges and Priority Pass lounges (no restaurants), etc.

Gold/Rose Gold: 75k points when you spend $4k in 6 months, 20% back on restaurant purchases up to $250 in the first year. $250 AF. 4x on restaurants/supermarkets. $10 monthly uber cash. One year uber eats pass if you sign up for this benefit before the end of the calendar year. $10 monthly dining credit at "Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. Excludes Shake Shack locations in ballparks, stadiums, airports and racetracks."

Green: 50k points when you spend $2k in 6 months, 20% back on restaurant purchases up to $150 in the first year. $150 AF. $100 CLEAR credit, $100 LoungeBuddy Credit. 3x on travel/restaurants/transit.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

There are some other worthwhile Plat benefits: access to return protection (I get $400 - $500 a year out of this), $20/mo credit towards some streaming services, and Saks credits.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Upgrade posted:

There are some other worthwhile Plat benefits: access to return protection (I get $400 - $500 a year out of this), $20/mo credit towards some streaming services, and Saks credits.

The streaming services are sub-optimal, but you also get $170 in credits for Clear, $100 in airline incidental credit and a $200 credit for a stay at Amex’s fine hotels portfolio booked through Amex travel which we did recently that gave 20% off spa/restaurant, plus another $100 in hotel credits, free full breakfast and a bunch of other stuff.

It’s become a keeper for us.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Shipt (Target+others grocery delivery) negotiated a deal with Visa where Infinite cardholders get up to 3 free years, Signature cardholders get 3 free months and the option of subscribing for another 9 months for 50% off, other Visa cards get one free month and then 50% off of 3 months.

https://www.shipt.com/visa/
Terms: https://www.shipt.com/offer-terms-for-visa/

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Question: I haven’t had a US credit card in five years. When I explored applying for a card at my local credit union, they said my Transunion credit score is 635.

Should I still apply for one of the fancy Chase credit cards? Apparently the Chase Flex accepts people with scores as low as 645. Or should I not risk it and apply only for a safer card?

Context: I recently returned to the country after spending five years overseas. My new job will start only in December so I’ll be earning foreign income until then.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Question: I haven’t had a US credit card in five years. When I explored applying for a card at my local credit union, they said my Transunion credit score is 635.

Should I still apply for one of the fancy Chase credit cards? Apparently the Chase Flex accepts people with scores as low as 645. Or should I not risk it and apply only for a safer card?

Context: I recently returned to the country after spending five years overseas. My new job will start only in December so I’ll be earning foreign income until then.

Do you have a relationship with Chase? I have seen people with little to no history get approved for the Freedom Unlimited, but I think they were all existing Chase customers.

Might just want to play it safe and start with a Discover if not.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What do you guys use to track your rewards categories? I've been rotating between 2-4 cards and it gets unweildy remembering which is my Gas card, my grocery card, etc. with different categories each quarter

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Medullah posted:

What do you guys use to track your rewards categories? I've been rotating between 2-4 cards and it gets unweildy remembering which is my Gas card, my grocery card, etc. with different categories each quarter

MaxRewards is cool. You tell it what cards you have in your wallet and it will use GPS to pull up every merchant around you and what card to use where.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Medullah posted:

By hitting 4-5 big sign up bonuses a year instead of :effort: juggling those small category rewards. Only one card in the wallet matters at a time, and YMMV based on household spending but for me the former is like 5+ times the annual profit of the latter.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

By hitting 4-5 big sign up bonuses a year instead of :effort: juggling those small category rewards. Only one card in the wallet matters at a time, and YMMV based on household spending but for me the former is like 5+ times the annual profit of the latter.
That seems like an unsustainable rate of churning especially considering all the hard pulls. Do you have like a million open accounts?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Josh Lyman posted:

That seems like an unsustainable rate of churning especially considering all the hard pulls. Do you have like a million open accounts?

Yeah I did this for a while and now my average age of credit is rough since I have so many newer cards.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

I have a note on a cloud note service with a list of the rotating categories for the current quarter that I can reference if I ever forget. I never forget the non-rotating ones, but if I were liable to then I'd include them in that same note.

On a slightly-related note, Paypal started doing a thing at some point where they tell you what some of your cards' rotating categories are, which is kinda cool.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Josh Lyman posted:

Unless you're new to credit or looking to buy a house very soon, <5 hard pulls a year shouldn't be a problematic amount. I don't apply for things unless I know I can get them and I personally stick to 4 (or fewer, especially early on) new cards per year to stay under 5/24. I only use that 5th slot if Chase rolls out something big like the upgraded Sapphire Preferred this year (which I did do). I also mix in business cards that don't show up on my personal report where possible. I'm at 13 active cards right now, 9 of which show up on my personal credit report, resulting in a ~3 year average age of accounts and a score that has steadily improved over that time. Maybe I've just been lucky, but in my opinion people tend to heavily overestimate the clout of account age boogeyman. As long as you have one or two long-time cards (my oldest is approaching 10 years, but the rest are half that or less), you should be fine. Just don't close the new ones unless they have an annual fee that outweighs their passive (i.e. not spending-linked) perks and no fee-free conversion option. Closing them makes you look more like a churner, and keeping them open helps blunt the impact on your score because credit scores are dumb.

astral posted:

On a slightly-related note, Paypal started doing a thing at some point where they tell you what some of your cards' rotating categories are, which is kinda cool.

This is extremely cool, but it took them a very long time to upgrade the CSP in my list to the new rates, and iirc there was something they still didn't include when they fixed that. So keep an eye out

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 20, 2021

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Hard pulls drop off after two years, so if you're opening 4 cards a year that's like 8 pulls at any given time and hopefully spilt across the 3 CRAs, so it's not atrocious.

The real problem can be how much you drop your average age of accounts. I opened 5 cards this year and now my average is <1 year (oops).

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Medullah posted:

Sign-up bonus churning is the right answer. I've been doing some mortgage refi's that have had me pause, and during that time I just use my Amex Gold for food and my 2%-on-everything-no-AF card on everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does using 'online purchases' as the 3% category with Bank of America set a pretty big net for what's covered? I was expecting mainly big stores like Amazon, but spotted the AC repair I needed done last week netted me $30 in rewards which was nice. I'll keep this category on that card forever at that rate.