Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

je1 healthcare posted:

GB detainees at least get to talk to lawyers and international journalists.

wut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

staticman posted:

Not only are there dozens of other US black sites in the world as others have pointed out, there's quite a few black sites domestically, doing all kinds of "fun, thrilling" tortures upon American citizens.

*cough*
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/19/homan-square-chicago-police-disappeared-thousands

quote:

Police “disappeared” more than 7,000 people at an off-the-books interrogation warehouse in Chicago, nearly twice as many detentions as previously disclosed, the Guardian can now reveal.

From August 2004 to June 2015, nearly 6,000 of those held at the facility were black, which represents more than twice the proportion of the city’s population. But only 68 of those held were allowed access to attorneys or a public notice of their whereabouts, internal police records show.

The new disclosures, the result of an ongoing Guardian transparency lawsuit and investigation, provide the most detailed, full-scale portrait yet of the truth about Homan Square, a secretive facility that Chicago police have described as little more than a low-level narcotics crime outpost where the mayor has said police “follow all the rules”.

The police portrayals contrast sharply with those of Homan Square detainees and their lawyers, who insist that “if this could happen to someone, it could happen to anyone”. A 30-year-old man named Jose, for example, was one of the few detainees with an attorney present when he surrendered to police. He said officers at the warehouse questioned him even after his lawyer specifically told them he would not speak.

“The Fillmore and Homan boys,” Jose said, referring to police and the facility’s cross streets, “don’t play by the rules.”

According to an analysis of data disclosed to the Guardian in late September, police allowed lawyers access to Homan Square for only 0.94% of the 7,185 arrests logged over nearly 11 years. That percentage aligns with Chicago police’s broader practice of providing minimal access to attorneys during the crucial early interrogation stage, when an arrestee’s constitutional rights against self-incrimination are most vulnerable.

But Homan Square is unlike Chicago police precinct houses, according to lawyers who described a “find-your-client game” and experts who reviewed data from the latest tranche of arrestee records obtained by the Guardian.
The narcotics, vice and anti-gang units operating out of Homan Square, on Chicago’s west side, take arrestees to the nondescript warehouse from all over the city: police data obtained by the Guardian and mapped against the city grid show that 53% of disclosed arrestees come from more than 2.5 miles away from the warehouse. No contemporaneous public record of someone’s presence at Homan Square is known to exist.

Nor are any booking records generated at Homan Square, as confirmed by a sworn deposition of a police researcher in late September, further preventing relatives or attorneys from finding someone taken there.

“The reality is, no one knows where that person is at Homan Square,” said Craig Futterman, a professor at the University of Chicago Law School who studies policing. “They’re disappeared at that point.”

A Chicago police spokesman did not respond to a list of questions for this article, including why the department had doubled its initial arrest disclosures without an explanation for the lag. “If lawyers have a client detained at Homan Square, just like any other facility, they are allowed to speak to and visit them,” the police claimed in a February statement.

And still operating
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/7/24/21337773/chicago-police-defind-homan-square-rally-community-social-services

quote:

Mark Clements was tortured at a Chicago police station as a teenager and forced to admit to a quadruple murder.

He was 16 at the time. Detectives working under now-disgraced Lt. Jon Burge pulled the confession out of him. He was 44 when his conviction was overturned in 2009.

And after all that time, he sees the same Chicago Police Department operating today.

“Jon Burge may be dead, but his tortures still ring on,” Clements said Friday at a protest in Homan Square outside a CPD facility that has been criticized as a so-called “black-site” where officers illegally detain and abuse people — a claim the police dispute. Since his release, Clements has spent much of his time working as a police accountability activist.

“What have we seen different from 1981 to 2020? We haven’t seen much different,” he said. “Why do I take this personal? I lost 28 years of my life. I’ve seen how much the city of Chicago cares about the people.”

A few hundred people gathered Friday to call for the redirection of resources from CPD to community programs that would provide better educational, trauma and health support. They also continued a long-standing demand for a civilian police accountability council to put oversight of CPD in the hands of the community.

After a few people addressed the crowd at the start, musicians took turns playing songs while people passed out water, snacks, masks and hand sanitizer. Across the street, a few dozen officers stood in riot gear at the entrance of the controversial police site. Officers on the roof of the five-story building watched the crowd with binoculars.

Trina Reynolds-Tyler is an activist with several grassroots organizations and a recent University of Chicago graduate with a master’s degree in public policy.

Reynolds-Tyler said attempts to “reform” the police have gone nowhere, meaning lasting change will only come through divesting from CPD and investing in community resources.

“Police accountability to us looks like defunding the police. It looks like reducing the proximity of police to people,” she said. “People should have access to safety, access to treatment on a regular basis. Period. And they shouldn’t have to be arrested to access services.”

Reynolds-Tyler said the recent drive-by shooting of 15 people outside a Gresham funeral home proves policing is not preventative, but reactionary. The shooting occurred despite Chicago police later saying they had been tipped off that an attack was possible, and had stationed two squad cars and a tactical unit outside the funeral home.

And it's only 1 part of 1 city within 1 small part of the historical record. The USA prison industrial complex has always been its own mass torture program.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Everything in GB is done in a closed military court. Lawyers have complained many many times that they can't even contact their clients and abuses done to their clients. On top of all this anyone watching has to watch the proceedings in a room with a feed that has a delay. The delay is so the government can senor anything they deem sensitive so who knows what they are even getting.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

je1 healthcare posted:

, GB detainees at least get to talk to lawyers and international journalists. Xinjiang detainees do not,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKue4WuagL8&t=18s

indigi posted:

it sucks cause I’m concerned about any sort of mass incarceration even supposing good intentions and am sure there are abuses going on but everyone who complains about it sounds like he healthcare and that’s terrible

while it is understandable and laudable to be against mass incarceration, and while im sure not everything that goes on in the education and training facilities is on the up and up, remember that until the program was instituted there were regular, deadly attacks on civilians, which immediately stopped once deradicalization efforts were put into place. the whole mess is because the CIA has been funding the East Turkmenistan Islamic Movement (ETIM) to inspire those attacks in the first place in an attempt to destabilize the region and gently caress with an important trading hub for China, and oh-so-weirdly it became a """"genocide"""" soon after massive oil fields were discovered in xinjiang. good thing the USA does not have a clear pattern of behavior and track record on this kind of thing. this is also why facebook is banned in china, btw, was because ETIM was coordinating terrorist attacks that killed people using facebook and facebook FOR SOME MYSTERIOUS REASON refused to do anything about it.

in other words its a mess the US caused and that the CPC is trying to clean up as humanely as possible. they identified that the things that make people susceptible to radicalization are a lack of economic opportunity, alienation from their local community, and often just straight up ignorance of the law. the training centers are there to solve those problems, many or most of which are really only M-F 9-5 affairs where people in them go home to their family at least for the weekend if not every night, and again, there have been no deadly attacks in the region since the program has been underway. it sucks that you do have to have mandatory attendance, and for some people, detainment, to deradicalize them against the US' bullshit, but the PRC very clearly is doing everything they or anyone knows how to do to make it as humane and focused on helping their own citizens thrive as possible

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
^^e: oh I know it’s largely the fault of the US/allies and in response to continual terror attacks. I just worry cause in a situation where tens of thousands of people are getting brought in there’s gonna be a lot of innocents who get scooped up as well (even if it’s a tiny percentage proportionally) and while they may have recourse I haven’t heard about it (possibly due to awful English language media)

any time a pig dies for any reason it’s good

indigi has issued a correction as of 22:35 on Oct 8, 2021

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

indigi posted:

^^e: oh I know it’s largely the fault of the US/allies and in response to continual terror attacks. I just worry cause in a situation where tens of thousands of people are getting brought in there’s gonna be a lot of innocents who get scooped up as well (even if it’s a tiny percentage proportionally) and while they may have recourse I haven’t heard about it (possibly due to awful English language media)

any time a pig dies for any reason it’s good

yeah like i mean, one of the reasons i would argue its not a human rights violation is that even though im sure plenty of marginal people who probably would never do an attack have gone through or otherwise been swept up in the program, it's vocational training and education on the law and chinese language and things that improve the lives of people who go through it.

the prc's courts are arguably the best on the planet, and actually will hear people out, and rule in their favor, if they are mistreated in any way, especially at a government facility. so keep in mind that even i am working on western assumptions here i.e. that when you make people guards they can mistreat people with no consequence as the judiciary and fellow pigs will cover for them, but that's like... not really how things work there. if you're mistreated, you have recourse, you don't need to be a millionaire to get a lawyer to represent you well like in the US, and there are multiple layers of judicial review to appeal to if despite all this the proceedings are shady anyway. also they're teaching people in these centers about chinese law so they are probably telling them this!

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

hot witch divorcee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKue4WuagL8&t=18s

while it is understandable and laudable to be against mass incarceration, and while im sure not everything that goes on in the education and training facilities is on the up and up, remember that until the program was instituted there were regular, deadly attacks on civilians, which immediately stopped once deradicalization efforts were put into place. the whole mess is because the CIA has been funding the East Turkmenistan Islamic Movement (ETIM) to inspire those attacks in the first place in an attempt to destabilize the region and gently caress with an important trading hub for China, and oh-so-weirdly it became a """"genocide"""" soon after massive oil fields were discovered in xinjiang. good thing the USA does not have a clear pattern of behavior and track record on this kind of thing. this is also why facebook is banned in china, btw, was because ETIM was coordinating terrorist attacks that killed people using facebook and facebook FOR SOME MYSTERIOUS REASON refused to do anything about it.

Oh hey, did the Chinese government ever present evidence of the attacks in Xinjiang having any ties to the CIA? Seems like something they would have done, at least in their state media reports about the attacks. It also seems counter-productive for the US government to be funding the ETIM while at the same time sending ETIM members to Guantanamo and bombing their training camps as of just a few years ago. Did the CIA not tell them? Wouldn't be first time

It's probably worth pointing out that China continues to experience regular mass-stabbings attacks against civilians in every other region outside of Xinjiang. Of course none of the Han attackers ever get designated as terrorists that require re-educating the population. Those mass-killings were due to mental illness, which I swear I've heard that excuse before.

And Facebook doesn't do anything about domestic US terrorists coordinating on their network either, it's not so mysterious why they failed to moderate a decade ago.

in other words its a mess the US caused and that the CPC is trying to clean up as humanely as possible. they identified that the things that make people susceptible to radicalization are a lack of economic opportunity, alienation from their local community, and often just straight up ignorance of the law.

Which explains why a number Uyghur business owners, politicians, academics, and other gainfully employed members of the community have been detained without charge. Maybe their friends and families are all lying, who knows. What's their legal resource? Because they can't seem to get proof of life, let alone an appeal hearing or a court date.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
hoopleheaded drivel

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

get back in your locker, nerd

https://twitter.com/NEDemocracy/status/1337063301113581568

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

p.s. facebook should be banned in the us, too. also altogether.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the source the poster gave here lists 7 stabbing attacks in the last 3 years. For a total of 17 fatalities and 151 injured.

For a nation of 1.4 billion people.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

je1 healthcare posted:

Oh hey, did the Chinese government ever present evidence of the attacks in Xinjiang having any ties to the CIA? Seems like something they would have done, at least in their state media reports about the attacks. It also seems counter-productive for the US government to be funding the ETIM while at the same time sending ETIM members to Guantanamo and bombing their training camps as of just a few years ago. Did the CIA not tell them? Wouldn't be first time

a lot of etim funding comes from al qaeda who have been getting US money for forever with a short interruption around the turn of the century that was resumed within a decade in Afghanistan Syria and Yemen

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

je1 healthcare posted:

It's probably worth pointing out that China continues to experience regular mass-stabbings attacks against civilians in every other region outside of Xinjiang. Of course none of the Han attackers ever get designated as terrorists that require re-educating the population. Those mass-killings were due to mental illness, which I swear I've heard that excuse before.

And Facebook doesn't do anything about domestic US terrorists coordinating on their network either, it's not so mysterious why they failed to moderate a decade ago.

Which explains why a number Uyghur business owners, politicians, academics, and other gainfully employed members of the community have been detained without charge. Maybe their friends and families are all lying, who knows. What's their legal resource? Because they can't seem to get proof of life, let alone an appeal hearing or a court date.

the ETIM was extremely open about why the stabbings happened and it was not mental illness (nice scare quotes though) Like, these are objective historical events, both sides agree they happened, coming in all 'do you have any proof this happened' is some true desperation poo poo.

Like, is the plan here really to go 'the ETIM doesn't exist'?

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

listen to the uyghur people!!

https://www.qiaocollective.com/xinjiang-responds

uhh no not those ones.. i mean the ones in washington and virginia....

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Nice tweet, but have any of the groups listed here been connected to a single attack? Or are we just assuming everything with "Uyghur" in the title is a terrorist organization?

sexpig by night posted:

Like, is the plan here really to go 'the ETIM doesn't exist'?

Obviously not, because like I just said the US was bombing them just two years ago, with the CCP's encouragement.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

je1 healthcare posted:

Nice tweet, but have any of the groups listed here been connected to a single attack? Or are we just assuming everything with "Uyghur" in the title is a terrorist organization?

you're a loving idiot. you'd think some of the semen you're sucking out of uncle sam's dick would bestow upon you some basic knowledge of what its own agencies are and what they do.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

je1 healthcare posted:

Nice tweet, but have any of the groups listed here been connected to a single attack? Or are we just assuming everything with "Uyghur" in the title is a terrorist organization?.

Oh my god you're so stupid.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

You, a CIA developed brain in a jar - gapes for USA and Obama cronies while trying to manifest a reality where Muslim minorities are getting genocided in China

Me, a verdant and spry young student of Xi Jinping - upholds Marxism-Leninism-Mao-Xi Jinping thought through posting and rejoices in being able to breathe air outside of a soy vat made for CIA brains

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

This man is clearly suffering from Havana Syndrome. I will make a donation in his name.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

je1 healthcare posted:

:thunk:

OhFunny posted:

Afghanistan: Dozens killed in suicide bombing at Kunduz mosque

ISKP has been carrying out a lot of attacks recently and this is the deadliest one yet. The bomber and the motivate also stood out to me.

quote:

In its claim of responsibility, the region’s ISIL affiliate identified the bomber as a Uighur Muslim, saying the attack targeted both Shias and the Taliban for their purported willingness to expel Uighurs to meet demands from China.

The statement was carried by the ISIL-linked Aamaq news agency.

lol

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

you're a loving idiot. you'd think some of the semen you're sucking out of uncle sam's dick would bestow upon you some basic knowledge of what its own agencies are and what they do.

I take it that's a "no"

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

je1 healthcare posted:

I´d love to raise heck about Abu Gharaib, but the officers and leaders responsible were arrested and prosecuted years before I had an account.

so we can't question the official US empire narrative on china without being labeled as a "genocide denier" or whatever but this bowlheaded moron can just spit this psycho garbage out freely

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

je1 healthcare posted:

I take it that's a "no"

how do you expect us to stop china from doing the things you claim they are doing

what is the logical next step in your little fantasy freak world?

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Goast posted:

how do you expect us to stop china from doing the things you claim they are doing

what is the logical next step in your little fantasy freak world?

Maybe tolerating a free press, in addition to establishing an independent and transparent legal system? Fantasy freakworld stuff.

I'm sorry if someone called you a "genocide denier" at some point, but there's no lack of vitriol being sent my way either. It's not a big deal.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
While we're on the topic, thanks for all the xinjiang resources from a few months ago. Took a while to get through, but it helped contextualize things.

Arguing over 'who does it worse' is besides the point, imo. To me the heart of it is a question about how society handles assimilation. Its clear the vocational programs are there to reeducate, as the entire point is to eradicate poverty, retrain, and assimilate a colossal amount of people. These programs have been running for over a decade, have been largely successful (sometimes indirectly supported by the west) and aren't unique to the Uyghur population.

How should societies handle mass assimilation? To what extent should a dominant society change the way smaller groups act or think? How should the actions of minority groups that go against societal interests be restricted or changed (reproductive rights, women's rights, rights to education, etc)? This is where the conversation is imo. Certainly it's good to be critical about how exactly China approaches them, but even in a world where it did things perfectly, there would still be debate as these questions are moral ones with as many answers as people.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

je1 healthcare posted:

Maybe tolerating a free press, in addition to establishing an independent and transparent legal system?

how do you expect this to happen in china currently

as in, how do you think anyone outside of china is going to coerce the chinese government and people to adopt your liberal ideals and sanctify them as rights

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

je1 healthcare posted:

Maybe tolerating a free press, in addition to establishing an independent and transparent legal system? Fantasy freakworld stuff.

Are you using the US as a model for those things here

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

china should establish a legal system independent of itself?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

BULBASAUR posted:

While we're on the topic, thanks for all the xinjiang resources from a few months ago. Took a while to get through, but it helped contextualize things.

Arguing over 'who does it worse' is besides the point, imo. To me the heart of it is a question about how society handles assimilation. Its clear the vocational programs are there to reeducate, as the entire point is to eradicate poverty, retrain, and assimilate a colossal amount of people. These programs have been running for over a decade, have been largely successful (sometimes indirectly supported by the west) and aren't unique to the Uyghur population.

How should societies handle mass assimilation? To what extent should a dominant society change the way smaller groups act or think? How should the actions of minority groups that go against societal interests be restricted or changed (reproductive rights, women's rights, rights to education, etc)? This is where the conversation is imo. Certainly it's good to be critical about how exactly China approaches them, but even in a world where it did things perfectly, there would still be debate as these questions are moral ones with as many answers as people.

It's really hard for some people especially Americans to believe that not every country in the world as as evil as us.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

genocide is just what every country does when it gets big enough. i know this because i'm actually super smart politic person.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

genocide is just what every country does when it gets big enough. i know this because i'm actually super smart politic person.

To be fair this is most of western history lol

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol a free press has never existed in human history

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
are serbia/croatia big countries now :v:

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
serbia was one of the prime movers of european history for like 100 years, yeah

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol a free press has never existed in human history

Ah yes, the "ideal" of doing anything you want as long as you can't materially challenge the yoke of the capitalist oligarchy. Wonder why the Chinese isn't so hot about it

lmao shitlibs are the dumbest holier-than-thou smug motherfuckers on the planet

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

the freest and most independent press would simply descend from heaven on a winged chariot each morning to deliver the News

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
remember when fox new's geraldo got expelled from iraq for drawing the shittiest map ever in the sand

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lol we are like 2 years away some CIA linked document about how we back ISIL and ETIM, then some people being completely ok with it for “reasons”

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Free press that publishes monthly Adrian Zenz reports? Free press that only reports missing white women?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Press so free that they just make poo poo up.

Journalists might be the only people in society worse than cops.