Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExtraQuiet
Apr 25, 2016

by Shine
lean into wall jump, not away

i switched to the joycons so i could remap and im having much more fun.
the drift makes me go left a lot, which is helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you don’t even need to wall jump at that part, you just shoot the blocks and they form gaps you can grab onto

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Augus posted:

you don’t even need to wall jump at that part, you just shoot the blocks and they form gaps you can grab onto

My jump gets no where near them . Maybe half way

I think my game is bugged. This is unplayable

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

euphronius posted:

I finally made it lmao

I hope the rest of the game isn’t this finicky

Just to be sure you're doing it right, you're holding the direction into the wall and hitting the jump button, right? It's not like prior games where you have to press the opposite direction of the wall a split second before you hit jump.

ExtraQuiet
Apr 25, 2016

by Shine

euphronius posted:

did you... taste it?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

eh it's only 5 gigs, transfer it to system memory and get the best load times

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

euphronius posted:

What are you even trying to do? take a screenshot of where you are on the map or something

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No wall jump will register beneath the first block it doesn’t matter which way I’m pressing

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You do not need to wall jump lol

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

euphronius posted:

No wall jump will register beneath the first block it doesn’t matter which way I’m pressing

yeah yuzu is pretty spotty right now sry

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Barreft posted:

What are you even trying to do? take a screenshot of where you are on the map or something

I’ve spent 20 minutes here . It worked once on the right wall but I can’t repeat it

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

euphronius posted:

I’ve spent 20 minutes here . It worked once on the right wall but I can’t repeat it

go under it..

ExtraQuiet
Apr 25, 2016

by Shine

euphronius posted:

slide my dude, like megamans.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have to go up lmao

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
LOL

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

euphronius posted:

SHOOT THE WHITE BLOCK!!!!!!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

omg

ExtraQuiet
Apr 25, 2016

by Shine
up is just a " concept " maan

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Augus posted:

SHOOT THE WHITE BLOCK

I can’t jump to it does nothing !! It goes away and I can maybe jump halfway to it

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Beat Kraid, this game kicks rear end.
The bosses seem designed pretty well so far? Like, I can go from "getting my poo poo kicked in" to "no-selling all of their attacks" within only a couple attempts, and it autosaves you right outside the room, which is a welcome addition to any metroidvania.

Arrrthritis posted:

A lot of the cutscenes look like they were designed by fans of Samus, so it's awesome to see her Dodging Kraid spikes like it's absolutely nothing and not mincing words with it..
Samus has been incredibly cocky in so many of the cutscenes and I love it. :allears: Not even flinching at Kraid's intro and using it as a chance to get in a free shot, just slightly dodging his belly spikes like it ain't no big deal, etc.
e: also this

snoremac posted:

During the first boss when it turns around and the camera zooms into the gap you're meant to slide under, who else's first instinct was "shoot that thing"?

I really liked the end of that fight how Samus nonchalantly charges her beam in the background before delivering the killing blow.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

euphronius posted:

I can’t jump to it does nothing !! It goes away and I can maybe jump halfway to it

are you holding the jump button instead of tapping it?
if you can’t jump that high your joycons must be broken or something

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

Beat Kraid, this game kicks rear end.
The bosses seem designed pretty well so far? Like, I can go from "getting my poo poo kicked in" to "no-selling all of their attacks" within only a couple attempts, and it autosaves you right outside the room, which is a welcome addition to any metroidvania.

Samus has been incredibly cocky in so many of the cutscenes and I love it. :allears: Not even flinching at Kraid's intro and using it as a chance to get in a free shot, just slightly dodging his belly spikes like it ain't no big deal, etc.

yeah both the bosses i've done had me getting my rear end kicked but figuring out the mechanics pretty quick after said asskicking. It's really good

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 9, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Holding the jump button worked

Thank you goons

Sorry

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

euphronius posted:

Holding the jump button worked

Thank you goons

Sorry

you shouldn't have to hold it. something's hosed on your controllers, whatever you use

e: actually nevermind there is a smaller jump for just hitting the button. never even noticed

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You're in for a rough time. This game treats you like you've played all these before.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I figured out how to hit those two speed boost blocks after you get the booster by playing around. Turns out you need to start building up speed in the EMMI zone right before it, jump the gap, go into the room and jump up onto the ledge, press down to save your power, jump up and grab the ledge, then turn into a ball and shinespark left. There's actually nothing in that short tube! I guess maybe it's just to save speedrunners time so they don't have to go through the charge door above it?

I also just used infinite bomb jumping to grab a missile expansion in the hot room to the upper right of the elevator in the second area, I feel like a hero. Though honestly the timing for infinite bomb jumping in this game is incredibly easy, nowhere near as difficult as in Super.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Barreft posted:

you shouldn't have to hold it. something's hosed on your controllers, whatever you use

doing a light tap of the jump button makes you do a tiny hop, doing a full press makes you jump at full height, just like in every other game in the series and also basically every other nintendo platformer and most non-nintendo ones.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Augus posted:

doing a light tap of the jump button makes you do a tiny hop, doing a full press makes you jump at full height, just like in every other game in the series and also basically every other nintendo platformer and most non-nintendo ones.

yeah I edited, never realized

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok now the game is good again

Sorry again

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

euphronius posted:

Ok now the game is good again

Sorry again
It's okay.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lmao

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

can't wait til he hits the first boss

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Barreft posted:

can't wait til he hits the first boss

I can't wait till he hits Speedbooster EMMI.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I expect many more euphronis posts :allears:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I got to one powerup expansion early. "Unknown technology, you cannot use this yet." BOOOOOOO.

Come across a couple of bits that seem to require very tight timing of speed charge. Including one in the first area where you need to bomb two blocks, warp over a pressure plate, and then shinespark through the blocks to an E-tank. Is there some quick charge or way to refresh a charge on flat ground that I missed in the info?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I just got the morph ball and Varia suit, now things are really opening up more to me

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
https://twitter.com/scrubquotesx/status/1446490314957594642

Don't mean to sound like a boomer, but what is wrong with gamers these days?

Dread isn't even a hard game; it's a game where you will definitely get a few game overs, but you are basically immediately thrust back right where you were before. Has it gotten to the point where the ego of gamers is so fragile that if they 'die' even a few times, they feel like failures? Everything is very patterned. Everything is very fair. Considering how fast you are back into the action when you do game over, the implications of "being stuck on a boss for 2 hours" mean failing dozens of times. Nothing in this game was THAT difficult.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I loving suck at video games, always have, always will. There’s nothing hard about this game lmao

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

BabyRyoga posted:

https://twitter.com/scrubquotesx/status/1446490314957594642

Don't mean to sound like a boomer, but what is wrong with gamers these days?

Dread isn't even a hard game; it's a game where you will definitely get a few game overs, but you are basically immediately thrust back right where you were before. Has it gotten to the point where the ego of gamers is so fragile that if they 'die' even a few times, they feel like failures? Everything is very patterned. Everything is very fair. Considering how fast you are back into the action when you do game over, the implications of "being stuck on a boss for 2 hours" mean failing dozens of times. Nothing in this game was THAT difficult.

hate clicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

A Big... Dog posted:

This helped - I found it totally by accident in a panic after reading that. Thanks!

Can you help me out, then? I too got the Wide Beam as my last upgrade, and even with the hint they gave you I have been wandering around and am totally stumped.]

Edit: And of course I find a path five minutes after I post this.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 9, 2021