Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's definitely the hardest Metroid (barring the tedium and farming of the first game) technically, since you're required to juggle a good amount of stuff, the boss fights pretty much demand you figure out their patterns even on normal so you can't just brute force them, and for the EMMIs you need to either learn how to avoid them or learn how to move very fast and efficiently.

That said this is all good because it's a nice change of pace, before you had to play on hard or do specifically super low % runs for it to be challenging, and even then it was usually just the "get hit once and die" kind of hard which I don't think is that fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i appreciate the EMMI's because it's a fun novelty to have a metroid enemy that can actually kill me

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

BabyRyoga posted:

https://twitter.com/scrubquotesx/status/1446490314957594642

Don't mean to sound like a boomer, but what is wrong with gamers these days?

Dread isn't even a hard game; it's a game where you will definitely get a few game overs, but you are basically immediately thrust back right where you were before. Has it gotten to the point where the ego of gamers is so fragile that if they 'die' even a few times, they feel like failures? Everything is very patterned. Everything is very fair. Considering how fast you are back into the action when you do game over, the implications of "being stuck on a boss for 2 hours" mean failing dozens of times. Nothing in this game was THAT difficult.

You have to immediately beat every game immediately you're "out of the conversation" or some bullshit. You're not allowed to kick back and enjoy something you paid 60 dollars for over several months, not anymore.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Oxxidation posted:

i appreciate the EMMI's because it's a fun novelty to have a metroid enemy that can actually kill me

Disrespecting the spider boss from fusion

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

also wtf is with adam? its like the creepy creator of samus' self-insert who really cant stand that fans thought of samus as a lone strong female protagonist who could deal with anything on her own, and just has to create weird Kinbaku-bi and restriction scenarios. He even looks directly into the camera and says even at full power [Samus] cannot withstand the EMMIs.

i got weird vibes about that in Fusion and with Other-M and this i see my instincts were correct.

Source your quotes.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Disrespecting the spider boss from fusion

yakuza and nightmare were the bane of young me's existence.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Senator Drinksalot posted:

You have to immediately beat every game immediately you're "out of the conversation" or some bullshit. You're not allowed to kick back and enjoy something you paid 60 dollars for over several months, not anymore.

consume consume consume

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I dunno, Dread isn’t impossible or anything but Kraid had me wondering if I was missing an extra Energy Tank. But I did beat him eventually so yeah.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Dread is definitely harder than Super and Fusion but Metroid 1 is probably a bigger challenge

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Raxivace posted:

I dunno, Dread isn’t impossible or anything but Kraid had me wondering if I was missing an extra Energy Tank. But I did beat him eventually so yeah.

Yeah 2nd boss was tough. I had 2 extra tanks for it and still died like 7 times. But it only took 2 frames of running with no mobs in the way to get back there so who wgaf? I'm learning I just have to slow the gently caress down and beat them slowly instead of going all out. Def different from today's "DPS a boss down while moving maybe" games

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Raxivace posted:

That one stuck me for a while until I learned it was possible to speed up the second phase. I'd tried that before but must've messed up my timing and assumed it wasn't possible until I gave up and checked a video.

As in other games, you can jump on the belly-spines to get up there instead of waiting for the grab panel to be knocked down. Means you can just focus on avoiding damage while down there instead of trying to hit the belly.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:mad:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

BabyRyoga posted:

Dread isn't even a hard game; it's a game where you will definitely get a few game overs, but you are basically immediately thrust back right where you were before. Has it gotten to the point where the ego of gamers is so fragile that if they 'die' even a few times, they feel like failures? Everything is very patterned. Everything is very fair. Considering how fast you are back into the action when you do game over, the implications of "being stuck on a boss for 2 hours" mean failing dozens of times. Nothing in this game was THAT difficult.
"game too hard, therefore bad" is basically easy clickbait for gaming journalists nowadays, guaranteed to get a bunch of Gamers™ coming into the comment section to tell them how much they suck.

anyways this is probably the easiest metroid I've ever played? autosaves outside difficult sections is the best modern feature they've implemented. and I've yet to run into anything truly bullshit, like that one loving spider boss in Fusion, or any of the bits in Super that require consecutive walljumps. (because that game was made before "make walljumping not a pain in the rear end" was common developer knowledge)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Got the charge beam . Game is good

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I literally haven't played a 2d metroid in 2 decades (never owned a gba), so it's a tough game for me. but like, it's a metroidvania. This isn't hard, you explore area, look at map, shoot every wall and continue on.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I could not figure out how to counter the first boss. I got through it after 3 or 4 tries, but I am sure I'll need to get better at that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blaziken386 posted:

"game too hard, therefore bad" is basically easy clickbait for gaming journalists nowadays, guaranteed to get a bunch of Gamers™ coming into the comment section to tell them how much they suck.

anyways this is probably the easiest metroid I've ever played? autosaves outside difficult sections is the best modern feature they've implemented. and I've yet to run into anything truly bullshit, like that one loving spider boss in Fusion, or any of the bits in Super that require consecutive walljumps. (because that game was made before "make walljumping not a pain in the rear end" was common developer knowledge)

I think instead of "easy" I'd say forgiving or encouraging. There's different forms of difficulty, and the main one this game avoids is getting you back there to try again. For example this game has some tight timing on tells, and damage high enough you can't just bumble through bosses, and that counts for difficulty.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I’m just glad this isn’t on a cramped GBA or DS controller.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I've died a ton of times and mostly it's because I'm trying to rush through somewhere instead of being patient

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

it's not even bad advice, he's just being an rear end in a top hat about it

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

BabyRyoga posted:

https://twitter.com/scrubquotesx/status/1446490314957594642

It's clickbait, it always has been. Nothing he says is true, and he isn't intending it to be true. I'm not even sure if he actually played the game, a contextual reading doesn't reveal anything specific to Metroid Dread.

Hat-lock
Jan 5, 2007
I'm only a few hours in, but the game is surprisingly solid. I mean, a lot was riding on this one, but even though it is way different from Super Metroid, the expansion of Samus' moveset is pretty wonderful and feels like it will be a speed runners dream game.

Also, the EMMI characters are fantastic (I've encountered the first 4) especially with the autosaves before their habitats. I'm also loving when YOU get to hunt THEM.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

I screenshotted that exact line too. gently caress you Adam

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I could not figure out how to counter the first boss. I got through it after 3 or 4 tries, but I am sure I'll need to get better at that.

...wait, you can counter the first boss? I just spammed missiles at its head until it went invisible, then free aimed to shoot the globe in the tail. I jumped over the tail whips and just ran out of the way of the tail stabs. I'm guessint the tail stab is what you can counter?

I just got to EMMI 5 and holy poo poo Samus spoke! Not English but still! Didn't expect that, that's pretty cool. Also lol at Adam expecting the EMMI to stay offline permanently, yeah sure, they're totally going to drop that mechanic. :v:

And guess I know why they put slide/morph ball on ZL now! But my brain is too ingrained with it on ZR, so I'm just going to have to live with it being awkward to free aim the grapple beam.

Oxxidation posted:

it's not even bad advice, he's just being an rear end in a top hat about it

Yeah it's a literally true statement, Samus just straight up cannot defeat an EMMI without the Omega Cannon and no amount of willpower, magic of friendship or training arc is going to help. Doesn't mean he has to be rude about it though.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Twelve by Pies posted:

...wait, you can counter the first boss? I just spammed missiles at its head until it went invisible, then free aimed to shoot the globe in the tail. I jumped over the tail whips and just ran out of the way of the tail stabs. I'm guessint the tail stab is what you can counter?

You counter it when you the game goes "slide under it"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I killed the second emmi so I’m doing ok

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

euphronius posted:

I killed the second emmi so I’m doing ok

grats!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

TaurusOxford posted:

You counter it when you the game goes "slide under it"

Doh! I should have figured that out after it seemed like those hits were inevitable.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

You're not suppose to kill them

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Kraid was an interesting boss fight. I died to phase one a few times, but phase two was like falling into an old familiar pattern and I killed it on my first attempt.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Bruceski posted:

I think instead of "easy" I'd say forgiving or encouraging. There's different forms of difficulty, and the main one this game avoids is getting you back there to try again. For example this game has some tight timing on tells, and damage high enough you can't just bumble through bosses, and that counts for difficulty.

Yeah, forgiving is how I'd describe it as well, as I died to these bosses way more than in Fusion which I considered to be one of the harder games before. But dying just plops you right outside so you can just hop back in.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Might have softlocked myself in the upper part of cataris, theres a switch to open a path to dairon that blocks the return path. Now I can only go foward into the first room of dairon but I can't progress. There's a big block that looks like I need a split-beam upgrade for, and some blocks with a crescent moon symbol. I don't have anything that can break those.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think its fine, for the protagonist of a video game to come across something stronger than them. i get that other m was weird but its also weird to not allow the protagonist of a video game series to do video game protag stuff just because shes a woman. like if john master chief was told this about some new alien and the gameplay was built around getting owned by it, would anyone accuse that of being a fetish thing, lol.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

brand engager posted:

Might have softlocked myself in the upper part of cataris, theres a switch to open a path to dairon that blocks the return path. Now I can only go foward into the first room of dairon but I can't progress. There's a big block that looks like I need a split-beam upgrade for, and some blocks with a crescent moon symbol. I don't have anything that can break those.

There’s a beam-breakable block in that room that’ll open the way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Accept your helplessness, person who has personally destroyed two worlds

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's kinda concerning the space government has access to these nigh indestructible murder robots to begin with.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

yes? do you seriously have a problem with this concept

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Kraid actually making me learn his patterns and taking multiple attempts. That rascal :allears:

Really loving this game, I think my only real complaint so far is the environments feel a bit same-y, tho I appreciate the looping of some of the maps. Also really like how they have switched up the order of upgrades, holding the morph ball for so long really got me excited to actually get it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

do you think toriyama wanted to gently caress goku when he had buu go 'you cant beat me, son goku' and then beat him up

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What?

Amppelix posted:

yes? do you seriously have a problem with this concept

Just a p lol thing to say to the Planet Killer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's kinda concerning the space government has access to these nigh indestructible murder robots to begin with.
yeah, someone should probably go around and blow 'em all up, or something