Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

lenoon posted:

Chriiiiiiiiist that’s nice. How did you do that fantastic hair colour? Whenever I go for a more ginger approximate look I can never manage to find the right mix to look natural.

The base is a flesh tint daler rowny ink over black. I mixed feugan orange contrast paint and gore-grunta fur and some contrast medium. Applied all over the hair, then added Vallejo beige to the mix as a highlight color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Slow work day today so I painted another escher ganger. Probably my least favorite of the bunch, and I may go back and fix some details here and there but overall I'm happy with the result.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So I picked up a bunch of small bottles to mix some paints / make some washes out of some. I've only got a bunch of citadel paints and a pot of citadel medium as well. I've currently run into a problem I didn't think about until now which is how the hell do I get the paint and medium into these bottles?

The citadel pots aren't really made for pouring, do people usually just scoop it into bottles with brushes? I don't really have a tiny funnel either. I'm curious to see how other people do this :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
citadel pots are made for one things and one thing only: making you waste as much paint as possible

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Yeah I'm kind of coming to that realization now

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
For regular paint they're the absolute worst, but I don't mind them for washes/contrast.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
You could try some small syringes or pipettes. They're pretty cheap in animal feed stores if you have any of those nearby, or I'm sure they're online as well.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
First, you get a million tiny funnels, and transfer all your citadel pots to dropper bottles. Then it's super easy to mix in a new bottle.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

just use vallejo and never look back

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Aranan posted:

You could try some small syringes or pipettes. They're pretty cheap in animal feed stores if you have any of those nearby, or I'm sure they're online as well.

You can get disposable pipettes, I use them to put citadel paints into my airbrush. But really the solution is a tiny funnel.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Gw pots are good for their dry brush paints I think. That's about it.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

pipettes sound like the best option. Thanks guys. Will probably have to thin some of the paint before I try though, they get pretty chunky

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

punishedkissinger posted:

just use vallejo and never look back

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

If you're careful and thin them in the pot first you can pour them into the dropper bottle. It's hell though.

I'd recommend picking up a cheap small funnel. You can get them anywhere that sells essential oil stuff.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

And texture paints.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Funnels are how I transferred to dropper bottles. Just take it slow, add a little extra distilled water (try to avoid tap water if you can) to get the last bit, and resign myself to wasting about 2-5% of each pot.

Which is still less than the pot would waste naturally.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Actually I've swung right round and like their bottles for contrast now. It is very easy to get a few drops out just by shaking the bottle, pop the top, hold the bottle at 45 degrees and twist the top to face down so that paint ledge drips on the palette. It is shockingly easy to get consistent mixes, even better than the ones I put in droppers.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished up an Emperors Spears Deathwatch Lieutenant this evening:

Rafac of the Kavalei

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 9, 2021

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Finished another ganger.

And here's the gang so far. I have one more ganger ready to paint

AndyElusive posted:

Finished up an Emperors Spears Deathwatch Lieutenant this evening:

Rafac of the Kavalei

DOPE

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Looks like The Army Painter is bringing out their own contrasts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRem63CbLms

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Verisimilidude posted:

Finished another ganger.

And here's the gang so far. I have one more ganger ready to paint

DOPE

Your Esher gang looks great! :)

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Got real productive and primed a bunch of forgeworld resin only to find that my otherwise trusty stynylrez has betrayed me. Cured for over 24 hours and I was still brushing bits of it off. I think I’ll be sticking to spray cans for resin from now on. Is simple green considered to be resin safe?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I want to paint a couple models with face paint/warpaint, but i'm not quite sure how to get it to look hand-applied. I was thinking maybe a sponge, but on a 28mm head, I'm not sure that'd look right.

Anyone done this? ANy tips?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Maybe stippling?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Stipling could work....

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Mr Teatime posted:

Got real productive and primed a bunch of forgeworld resin only to find that my otherwise trusty stynylrez has betrayed me. Cured for over 24 hours and I was still brushing bits of it off. I think I’ll be sticking to spray cans for resin from now on. Is simple green considered to be resin safe?

Did you thoroughly scrub your resin first? As long as the surface is clean, any kind of primer that sticks to plastic should stick to resin.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I picked up a bunch of small bottles to mix some paints / make some washes out of some. I've only got a bunch of citadel paints and a pot of citadel medium as well. I've currently run into a problem I didn't think about until now which is how the hell do I get the paint and medium into these bottles?

The citadel pots aren't really made for pouring, do people usually just scoop it into bottles with brushes? I don't really have a tiny funnel either. I'm curious to see how other people do this :)

If you can find them, buy a bulk pack of plastic straws.

Snip off about a third of a straw, dip it in to your desired amount, cover the back of the straw with the pad of your fingertip, and you can move the paint wherever you want.

This works even more amazing for measuring precise amounts of thinner, etc.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

Did you thoroughly scrub your resin first? As long as the surface is clean, any kind of primer that sticks to plastic should stick to resin.

I mean…I did what I usually do which involves several scrubs and long soaks with dish soap. This was also several different kits worth of stuff so I don’t feel like it was one bad batch of resin. Given that rattlecan stuff just seems to bite harder into resin I think I may just keep the airbrush priming for plastic 🤷‍♀️

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jonny Nox posted:

If you can find them, buy a bulk pack of plastic straws.

Snip off about a third of a straw, dip it in to your desired amount, cover the back of the straw with the pad of your fingertip, and you can move the paint wherever you want.

This works even more amazing for measuring precise amounts of thinner, etc.
if you’re brave enough you can use the whole straw, suck it up until the straw’s nearly full, and use your tongue to suspend the paint while you transfer it

please don’t actually do this (but take a video of it if you do)

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Finished up my Incubi today!

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Cross-posting from the MCP thread:

And another Super Fantasy Brawl character: Gold'arr

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Doing some colour scheme tests. Tried out a white space marine colour scheme and the blue base coat gave me more of a very light blue I think. Not sure which one I like more although I might have to brighten up the eyes on the white scheme.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

love that powder blue

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Blue armor white robes

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Eej posted:

Doing some colour scheme tests. Tried out a white space marine colour scheme and the blue base coat gave me more of a very light blue I think. Not sure which one I like more although I might have to brighten up the eyes on the white scheme.

Split second reaction: Cream guy
considered reaction: Ungh that blue is so good.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the cold white is beautifully executed but i love that colour combo of cream, purple and copper/bronze so drat much

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Initial opinion, I like both were that the white blue edging out the purple/cream. The purple/cream combo is great but the purple aquila makes it a bit too homogeneous.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I used to love stynylrez primer, it sprayed beautifully. I don’t know what the hell happened but I’ve tried several bottles more than 6 months apart and they’ve all been garbage. The first time I put it down to a bad batch but all of them are like this now. They also fight my airbrush every step of the way and are a pain in the rear end to even spray. I have tried two different brushes just in case they had become an issue and it’s the same nonsense

I then discovered 2 old bottles of coloured stynlrez I got way back and never used and lo and behold despite being years old they spray perfectly the way I remember. The black isn’t even the same colour as the old black as can be seen on the older mini. The Vallejo primer also sprays perfectly from both brushes.

I can’t put multiple bottles down to a bad batch, did badger change the formula and wreck it?
It’s not exactly an issue just to change to Vallejo but I genuinely cannot comprehend what the heck badger has done.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
There was a post on Badger's Facebook page a few days (weeks?) back saying that they had switched back to an old supplier for their primers. It was mealy mouthed "due to supply restrictions, we used an equivalent but the product is the same but yes, we're announcing we've switched back!". And now I can't find that post.

I'd take that as a confirmation that they've been selling a different product for some period of time and that there have been complaints.

Edit: Found it:

quote:

Badger Air-Brush Company
Oactober1 5S 7m2atc 2:05a PM ·
There have been no substantive changes to the Stynylrez formula.
We did have to make a short term change in an ingredient brand due to materials procurement complications. We have now received in the previous ingredient brand and returned to using it rather than the substitute brand we used when we were not able to get the original brand of the ingredient.
We will due an additional comprehensive post, which will include information regarding the current status of Stynylrez production shortly.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

is stylnrezzz sandable?