Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

HD DAD posted:

Soon we’re just gonna run out of Greek letters and we’ll have to name variants like hurricanes. Looking forward to dying from the Jeff variant.

"Scientists are now calling it the Kourhteinie variant because of that loving idiot in Iowa."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

HD DAD posted:

Looking forward to dying from the Jeff variant.

:jeffrey:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm gonna pay big bucks to put my competitors name on a variant.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I've had wierd daydreams about how this pandemic is going to effect cultural trauma.

Like in 2060 grandma is just nervous about crowds, and grandpa just has a steel trap memory for where they have visited in the last two weeks

I like the idea of everyone who lives through COVID I st knowing their Greek letters

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Anne Whateley posted:

Cite? Afaik Tylenol hasn't been studied with antibodies, as opposed to NSAIDs, which have been studied and demonstrated negative effects.

I agree if you're going to take something, it should be Tylenol. I'm just not aware it's been studied

It’s been studied and it does have a depressive effect, just not to the extent if the others.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2693360/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HD DAD posted:

Soon we’re just gonna run out of Greek letters and we’ll have to name variants like hurricanes. Looking forward to dying from the Jeff variant.

They’ve noticed that their naming scheme is filling up in scant months.

quote:

New coronavirus variants could be named after star constellations once letters of the Greek alphabet are exhausted, a senior World Health Organization official has suggested.

In an interview with the Telegraph Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO’s technical chief for Covid-19, said the UN health agency was already looking at new names for mutations amid fears there will be more concerning variants than the 24 letters of the Greek alphabet.

That system was introduced in late May and so far 11 mutations have been named: four variants of concern, including delta and beta; four variants of interest, such as eta and lambda; plus epsilon, zeta and theta, thought to be “of interest” but since downgraded.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/variants-could-named-star-constellations-greek-alphabet-runs/

That was early August. With Mu’s designation on August thirtieth, we passed the halfway point to alphabet exhaustion.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

They could just add more letters to the alphabet.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bad Purchase posted:

They could just add more letters to the alphabet.

Would using Russian or other eastern characters be viable?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zil posted:

Would using Russian or other eastern characters be viable?

We're saving variant 四 if it comes back around again in force to China

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Geez guys there are other ancient alphabets just laying around unused. Glyphs too. The whole ancient Egyptian writing system is just going to waste. [big eye] variant causing trouble in the midwest, meanwhile [bird facing left] variant is spreading across south america.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

HD DAD posted:

Look all I'm saying is God clearly states in Revelations, "I am the Alpha and the Omega". He's just tinkering with COVID until He finds just the perfect amount of transmissibility and lethality to wipe out most of humanity

It's right there in the Bible people!! It's been in plain sight for 2000 years!!!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Look all I'm saying is God clearly states in Revelations, "I am the Alpha and the Omega". He's just tinkering with COVID until He finds just the perfect amount of transmissibility and lethality to wipe out most of humanity

It's right there in the Bible people!! It's been in plain sight for 2000 years!!!

Source your quotes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zil posted:

Source your quotes

They did, The Bible, God et al., 4,352 BC.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Barudak posted:

:catstare:

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

I for one am HYPED for covid strain / horoscope sign conjunctions

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Barudak posted:

:hmmyes: (though Revelations was about 83 AD)

Revelations 22:13

quote:

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 9, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

drat both of you. :blastu:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Platystemon posted:

It’s been studied and it does have a depressive effect, just not to the extent if the others.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2693360/
Thanks!!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Scaevolus posted:

If I were you I'd lock my doors and windows and never, never, never, never, never leave my house again. That's your horoscope for today.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Seth Pecksniff posted:

:hmmyes: (though Revelations was about 83 AD)

Revelations 22:13

quote:

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End

Thanks, now the Xenogears intro is playing in my head and I'm snickering thinking about Deus and Miang variants

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Scaevolus posted:

“Age of Aquarius” takes on a whole new meaning.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Would naming variants after ancient Gods be a smart or terrible idea?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

HazCat posted:

I 100% understood a hot gujju bhabhi's post as they intended it and was surprised so many people were misreading it so badly. I'm also Australian, so maybe this is legitimately a cultural thing?

"Even in a world where your dumb ideas are right, your conclusions would still be wrong" isn't an argument that accepts the dumb ideas as actually being right.

I think you're probably right. It's a cultural difference.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

Would naming variants after ancient Gods be a smart or terrible idea?

Covid Priapus is gonna get some eyes

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I started reading this article to see how the BBC would justify Britain's terrible stats:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58849024

The writer's clearly been told to put a positive spin on it, so although things suck now it's mostly just kids and we'll be much better off in the winter, right? But he managed to sneak in a final line about how easily it could all get worse (which is impressive when you consider the article is trying to justify why we're not that bad really).

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

smoobles posted:

Sorry, not valid unless Jesus cummed inside you

Does it make a difference where?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Marmaduke! posted:

I started reading this article to see how the BBC would justify Britain's terrible stats:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58849024

The writer's clearly been told to put a positive spin on it, so although things suck now it's mostly just kids and we'll be much better off in the winter, right? But he managed to sneak in a final line about how easily it could all get worse (which is impressive when you consider the article is trying to justify why we're not that bad really).

Yeah, the last sentence basically undermines the cheerful tone but also seems to be hedging. I prefer my propaganda to be more black and white.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

My wife got her first Pfizer shot yesterday and she said it didn’t hurt and she had no symptoms. Holy poo poo though, she’s really petite and it looked like they put the needle basically through her arm, I didn’t think it would be THAT long still - like an inch and a half - or maybe the tech would like, no go all the way down or something, considering her size. When I got mine it was a stubby needle that was maybe half an inch.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

it looked like they put the needle basically through her arm, I didn’t think it would be THAT long still - like an inch and a half

She's probably used to getting an inch and a half

Sorry

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

That's not long!??!

mania
Sep 9, 2004
Hi thread, I could do with some help. It’s booster shot time down in Singapore and the older generation of my family are convinced that we should go for sinovac instead of one of the mRNA vaccines. Their reasoning is that the mRNAs only teach the body to recognise the spike protein whereas with sinovac having an inactivated virus will teach the body to recognise the virus itself. And with at least one new variant mutating to get rid of the spike protein, it would be better to get the vaccine that would allow the immune system to fight the whole virus instead of just the spike protein.

Is there any truth to this? It sorta makes sense in a layman terms way, so I get their line of thinking. I tried searching but didn’t get anywhere. Ultimately, I don’t really care what my family takes as long as they get the booster/vaccinated, but at the same time the above recommendation to take sinovac or Sinopharm is coming from 1) my dad, and I’d like to reassure him that I’ll be okay taking one of the mRNAs, and 2) a relative sharing their hot takes* in our WhatsApp chat and I’d really like to toss it back in their face.

*Hot takes like “unvaccinated people will fare better then the people who had a booster shot if infected with the new variants because their immune system will be “fresh” unlike the booster shot folk who have an overworked and exhausted system producing useless antibodies that won’t protect against the new variants”.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The logic is solid IMO, we just don't have results to know if it actually works that way in this case.
No idea what the idea is about a nonspiked covid, that sounds very unlikely.

mania
Sep 9, 2004
Oh and have some schadenfreude from Singapore - in a few days, unvaccinated adults will no longer be able to dine in or enter malls. And as eating and shopping are two of our favourite pastimes, the meltdown has been glorious.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Scarodactyl posted:

The logic is solid IMO, we just don't have results to know if it actually works that way in this case.
No idea what the idea is about a nonspiked covid, that sounds very unlikely.

Yeah there's no such thing, a coronavirus without spikes is... well whatever you call a spherical virus, the spikes are what make it look like a crown under an electron microscope, hence the name. What they probably mean is that the spikes are mutating and these are what are specifically targeted by non-traditional vaccines.

There *is* something to be said for the idea of mixing and matching types of vaccines but nobody's really doing serious research into it because even the crap vaccines are good enough that it gets a bit dodgy, ethically, to deliberately mess around with the known effective dosing regimes.

In six months or so we'll have lots of useful data from the UK about the effectiveness of mRNA-after-AZ as the majority of the people getting boosters here will have been given AZ for their first two doses. There's low-quality evidence that this is an extremely effective way of doing it. However this is a booster of a more-effective vaccine after a less-effective one, going the other way round seems like it's less likely to be useful but as everyone should know this point, immunology is a bastard at the best of times.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Pee is stored in the nonspiked covid.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yeah, I have heard that the ultimate knockout punch for polio is the inactive shot followed by live attenuated--the shot reduces or rempves the already small risk of getting polio from the live attenuated and you get supercharged immunity. But such a combination was obviously not needed to eliminate polio most places and I don't think that was ever standard procedure. I djnno that might not even check out, though it made sense to me.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

mania posted:

the older generation of my family are convinced that we should go for sinovac instead of one of the mRNA vaccines. Their reasoning is that the mRNAs only teach the body to recognise the spike protein whereas with sinovac having an inactivated virus will teach the body to recognise the virus itself.
It's an interesting theory, but chemically there's just not that much on the surface of SARS-CoV-2 viruses for antigens to stick to other than spike proteins, and sinovac doesn't present different spikes compared to either mRNA vaccine, so it doesn't help train the body against variants. In addition, Sinovac is generally not as effective as mRNA vaccines, largely because the total immune response to the inactivated viral load in the injection is smaller than the immune response to the spike protein produced by the mRNA vaccine.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(21)00177-4/fulltext

Even people lucky enough to generate broadly neutralizing antibodies after vaccination just happen to make antigens that bind to a harder to mutate part of the spike protein.

https://scitechdaily.com/inescapable-covid-19-antibody-discovery-neutralizes-all-known-sars-cov-2-strains/

There are a couple other points on the outside of the viral particles that the immune system can react to, but they don't seem as common or useful as antibodies targeting spike proteins.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2021.679841/full

I'm still waiting for someone to reformulate their vaccine to target Delta spikes, or a variety of spikes based on the new variants.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It seems like the big players might have stopped working on delta specific vaccines. It does kind of seem like there isn't an issue with the immune system recognizing it, it's just a lot more aggressive and develops and dumps out much larger viral loads. Then again maybe they just saw that normal boosters seem to work just fine and left it at that for now.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sounds like Covid is over, nice :nice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

About that

https://twitter.com/AllenWest/status/1446945633714282499

This is the dude that moved from Florida to Texas to run for governor further right than Abbott.