Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lawlicaust posted:

People always come out like this when an MMO release. I’ve never understood stanning so hard for a game. It’s like some people’s brains explode at the idea of enjoying something but admitting it’s not very good.

Sometimes I enjoy a cheese burger for sonic, but it’s not very good. I stayed at a cheap rear end resort a few years ago that was objectively awful in most ways but it had free drinks and good food. Many of us have definitely dated or slept with someone that was terrible for us but we had fun at the time. Most Nick Cage movies are very bad.

Things can be bad and fun. Things can have obvious expiration dates on fun. Some people just cannot grasp the concept and believe everything they do must be the best thing ever no matter how bad it is. DND versus CSPAM energy really.

Exactly. It's possible to enjoy a bad game, for other reasons (like the aforementioned goon rushing). It's mindblowing how brokebrained some of these people are, who come into the thread with borderline driveby posting saying YOU CAN'T POST IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My biggest issue is that sometimes the combat just doesn’t work like it should. Maybe it’s because I’m using a fire staff but it happens often enough where I press Q and nothing happens and I have to hit it again.

Things will be flowing great and then that will happen and it takes me out of the somewhat decent combat and leaves me frustrated.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pandaal posted:

Honest question, why would you play (and post about) a game you find mediocre and half-assed?

e: as a secondary thing I’m obviously referring to folks like barreft who are solely here making ridiculous assumptions about the game’s future and rooting against it for some reason. If you like it and have ideas for improvement, share ‘em by all means. Just spewing uninformed vomit everywhere seems like a huge waste of time.

Are people who have played/are playing the game not allowed to criticize it? Like it's really obvious if you've played the game that the grind is there to cover the fact that there's not much else in there and the game requires a lot more work. That doesn't mean that some of the components in the game aren't well done.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

MarcusSA posted:

My biggest issue is that sometimes the combat just doesn’t work like it should. Maybe it’s because I’m using a fire staff but it happens often enough where I press Q and nothing happens and I have to hit it again.

Things will be flowing great and then that will happen and it takes me out of the somewhat decent combat and leaves me frustrated.

There’s a lot of little bugs like this with the combat that just needed some more time in the oven. The elevation issues, some animation/effect not matching with block/dodge timing of certain enemies, a lot of little number tweaking here and there.

I legitimately hope they keep stomping bugs and make this a much better game. There’s a lot of things that aren’t terrible here and some that are actually good. There’s a ton of awful too but most of the awful things aren’t the hardest ones to overcome.

A bunch of bug squashing, tweaking some xp rates and mob/resource spawn times, and fixing server issues and this might be a pretty mediocre game that can limp along until it gets more content. There should be no doubt be that it absolutely does not have content though.

High level is very samey as lower level and while there are some interesting expeditions up there, there just is not enough endgame content by a mile. There’s not really longterm goals for any playstyle, there’s lots of bugs in the endgame content that makes it hard to play, and much of it feels very light. None of this should be surprise to anyone based on the last year of Dev though.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 8, 2021

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If I have learned anything about MMOs it's that I can't say one is good or bad after a week. I am having a ton of fun wandering around chopping down trees and poo poo, seeing the sights, learning new systems - I have zero clue if the game is good or not yet, and I don't really care.
At the moment on a minute to minute basis I am seeing enough cool new things and making numbers go up enough to be having a blast, and that'll do for me for now

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
My biggest complaint about the game is the removal of level scaling for pvp. Closed beta was awesome because anyone could hop into PVP at any level and compete on a somewhat level playing field. This allowed players to level at whatever rate they wanted without any pressure to poop sock. Now a level 50 can two shot a level 30 with two left clicks from a life staff, which results in far fewer people flagging as they level, and as a result much less dynamic, fun open world PVP. It also encourages people to group up into gank squads even more than before.

This has a big domino effect on the large scale PVP and how the server faction compositions are playing out. Enclosed beta I was in a small guild of covenant players and we punched well above our weight in terms of level because we were organized and had a lot of practice against other players. Now it's just level 50 plus people they're getting across the map and mowing down any red that they see. People aren't going to want to level to 60 just to be able to compete. The spontaneous sporadic PVP while leveling broke up the monotony of it and obscured the blandness of the grind. Without that, there isn't much to distract the player from the specter of dozens of hours doing the same quests over and over.

Just a completely stupid decision made to appease a couple of piss baby streamers who were mad because they got owned by lower level people on their streams.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 8, 2021

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My main concern so far is like wtf is going on with the swimming? It's absolutely loving hilarious to me to have my guy just be all like 'welp, just gonna walk though this here lake yessir, here I am walking along the bottom of it now' like it's an acceptable form of travelling through a lake.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Surface posted:

Hold up…

This is just Albion online with a different shader and camera angle.

I knew something felt too similar.

“What if we made Albion but got rid of everything except for blue and yellow zones because gankers are toxic bullies and meanies”

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

My biggest complaint about the game is the removal of level scaling for pvp. Closed beta was awesome because anyone could hop into PVP at any level and compete on a somewhat level playing field. This allowed players to level at whatever rate they wanted without any pressure to poop sock. Now a level 50 can two shot a level 30 with two left clicks from a life staff, which results in far fewer people flagging as they level, and as a result much less dynamic, fun open world PVP. It also encourages people to group up into gank squads even more than before.

This has a big domino effect on the large scale PVP and how the server faction compositions are playing out. Enclosed beta I was in a small guild of covenant players and we punched well above our weight in terms of level because we were organized and had a lot of practice against other players. Now it's just level 50 plus people they're getting across the map and mowing down any red that they see. People aren't going to want to level to 60 just to be able to compete. The spontaneous sporadic PVP while leveling broke up the monotony of it and obscured the blandness of the grind. Without that, there isn't much to distract the player from the specter of dozens of hours doing the same quests over and over.

Just a completely stupid decision made to appease a couple of piss baby streamers who were mad because they got owned by lower level people on their streams.

Agree 100% with this.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Showtime was right

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Level-scaling wasn't removed, though. Unless you mean in war?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Level-scaling wasn't removed, though. Unless you mean in war?

It was drastically toned down, and level matters a lot more now in open world.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

This was their largest mistake bar none. I was excited for New World a bit when a level 17 could put a level 55 in the hurt locker if they knew what they were doing, but Amazon made the dumb decision to make it so that there's zero point to flagging anymore.

I enjoyed gathering a bit, but gently caress me if the questing isn't dogshit and I can't even break it up with PVP because sweaties ground to cap and are now just turning level 30s into red mist.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Having done a fair bit of world PVP, I can say that it's certainly far from perfect, but I also believe that a higher level character *should* win the fight most of the time.

However, I haven't seen any instances of high levels two-shotting lowbies. I got into a scrap with a 56 when I was 36 and while he did win, it took far more than two or three hits.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

This explains it, I actually did some pvp last night and was like why the gently caress am I not doing anything to these 60s

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Level scaling in the open world has felt pretty okay to me. Anything +/- 15 usually feels pretty fair outside of people who are like 55+ and starting to make actual builds with actual gear.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I would actually flag for PVP (something I’d never do normally) if the reward for flagging was better.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I stopped flagging for pvp after around level 20 I shot a guy with my bow like five times, his health barely moved, then he used the axe charge move and three shot me. I was considering turning it back but throughout the day i kept seeing flagged level 60s run past me while I was hitting rocks so nevermind. I’ll wait until I’m closer to level cap at which point I assume these guys will have gear to easily murder me instead.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I would actually flag for PVP (something I’d never do normally) if the reward for flagging was better.

Same, I like pvp but only getting a 10% increase to xp doesn't give me reason to turn it on if I am going out to do PVE stuff. They at least listened to some feedback here, before there wasn't even a xp boost for flagging at all.

Lucky Raccoon
Aug 17, 2006

Let's put on our classics and have a little dance shall we?

vandalism posted:

Any City of Brass chads up in here?

Yeah. I’m in Scholars of Brass on Syndicate. Server’s p good so far.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Guess I'm gonna try this out.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Oh nice, it's that part of the New World Thread Cycle (TM) where I have to tell everyone to play nice instead of acting on the reports I've gotten.

I love you goofballs who willingly bought the Amazon MMO in 2021. Yes, it is probably a bad game. Yes, you can still have fun playing bad games (otherwise MMO HMO would cease to exist.) Half the fun of MMO launches is laughing with each other at the broken, wonky poo poo that barely holds together under the crushing weight of launch month populations.

What I don't love are slap fight and name calling and endless posting about posting / other posters. Please try to chill, thanks!

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
https://forums.newworld.com/t/server-transfer-update/354335

No transfers yet, but some updates about how it will work

theguybro
Dec 16, 2012

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Lawlicaust posted:

People always come out like this when an MMO release. I’ve never understood stanning so hard for a game. It’s like some people’s brains explode at the idea of enjoying something but admitting it’s not very good.

Sometimes I enjoy a cheese burger for sonic, but it’s not very good. I stayed at a cheap rear end resort a few years ago that was objectively awful in most ways but it had free drinks and good food. Many of us have definitely dated or slept with someone that was terrible for us but we had fun at the time. Most Nick Cage movies are very bad.

Things can be bad and fun. Things can have obvious expiration dates on fun. Some people just cannot grasp the concept and believe everything they do must be the best thing ever no matter how bad it is. DND versus CSPAM energy really.

My MMO is better than yours.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

peter gabriel posted:

My main concern so far is like wtf is going on with the swimming? It's absolutely loving hilarious to me to have my guy just be all like 'welp, just gonna walk though this here lake yessir, here I am walking along the bottom of it now' like it's an acceptable form of travelling through a lake.

Swimming was invented in 1975 and this game is set in a time period well before that (looks like maybe the 1950s based on everyone's dress and appearance)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kaysette posted:

Oh nice, it's that part of the New World Thread Cycle (TM) where I have to tell everyone to play nice instead of acting on the reports I've gotten.

I love you goofballs who willingly bought the Amazon MMO in 2021. Yes, it is probably a bad game. Yes, you can still have fun playing bad games (otherwise MMO HMO would cease to exist.) Half the fun of MMO launches is laughing with each other at the broken, wonky poo poo that barely holds together under the crushing weight of launch month populations.

What I don't love are slap fight and name calling and endless posting about posting / other posters. Please try to chill, thanks!

Who in the hell is reporting people in this thread lol, thread slapfights are not reportable, show yourself villain!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

orange juche posted:

Who in the hell is reporting people in this thread lol, thread slapfights are not reportable, show yourself villain!

Reported and blocked

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Phoix posted:

Level scaling in the open world has felt pretty okay to me. Anything +/- 15 usually feels pretty fair outside of people who are like 55+ and starting to make actual builds with actual gear.

It's really not bad at all. IMO the biggest problem for goons at the Ebonscale battle was that green's side was a mix from their best guilds - players who hit 60 a couple days ago, have been in some wars already and have been perfecting their builds since then. There was just a big gulf in actual pvp experience there, we aren't going to beat the sweatiest 50 players on green with goons alone right now

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

causticBeet posted:

https://forums.newworld.com/t/server-transfer-update/354335

No transfers yet, but some updates about how it will work

quote:

Where can I move my character to?

You can move your character to any world in your region, except:
You cannot move your character to a full world.
You cannot move your character to a world in maintenance.
You cannot move your character to a world set that you have an existing character in already.

gently caress

looks like I'm rolling a new guy on US West if I wanna play with SFD lol

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

could have sword they said it'd be possible

e: they did say it'd be possible and then someone else immediately stepped in and said it wouldn't be, but they never deleted the initial tweet lmao

https://twitter.com/playnewworld/status/1442909890222047233

e2: lol there are multiple instances of different community management members on their forums and discord telling people they'd be able to move to any server they want (barring usual character creation rules like "one guy per server set"), they were not communicating with each other about this at all

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 9, 2021

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

orange juche posted:

Reports are the cowards path. Never stop posting.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

could have sword they said it'd be possible

e: they did say it'd be possible and then someone else immediately stepped in and said it wouldn't be, but they never deleted the initial tweet lmao

https://twitter.com/playnewworld/status/1442909890222047233

They have no idea what they're doing it's hilarious. I'm sorry for the guy upthread who mentioned me specifically for continuing to point out the obvious when stupid poo poo like this keeps coming out. lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmfao okay the this community manager kind of owns

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

some people on the forums are NOT happy about "very carefully"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Lol is this game even real

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol is this game even real

lol

it's amazing content

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

between telling people to roll in different, less populated regions because they'd eventually be able to transfer back to their friends (which ended up being a lie/wishful thinking) and the clusterfuck that was the launch EU regions due to people making characters solely to register names early (why are names global but not other character data???), I can understand why some people are mad

but drat, some of these people are fuckin' mad lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

between telling people to roll in different, less populated regions because they'd eventually be able to transfer back to their friends (which ended up being a lie/wishful thinking) and the clusterfuck that was the launch EU regions due to people making characters solely to register names early (why are names global but not other character data???), I can understand why some people are mad

but drat, some of these people are fuckin' mad lol

I mean it's common sense you can't transfer to full servers and such, been saying that all week. They have a max server limit and they can't go over it because of cryengine, and they're also a huge company like google that just doesn't give a gently caress.

Some of us tried telling people not to sign up on low pop servers and just assume a free transfer, and I guess we got reported for it. Nothing I've said has been wrong though so lol, back to Dread.