Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
hearing about newbies going through the game and enjoying themselves owns actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
It's not possible for us to delete our memories and re-experience the highest highs of the game fresh, so we watch new people do it to try and chase that high!

I make it sound kind of awful, but like, I also do it too. It's just such a good story! It's got such great moments! You just wanna share this stuff!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

FeatherFloat posted:

It's not possible for us to delete our memories and re-experience the highest highs of the game fresh, so we watch new people do it to try and chase that high!

I make it sound kind of awful, but like, I also do it too. It's just such a good story! It's got such great moments! You just wanna share this stuff!

It's not just you. I'm certainly getting the New Game Plus experience through streamers, and the sheer number of folks flocking to videos and streams of folks doing MSQ indicates that it's fairly common.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
PotD is also useful for leveling alt classes because you don't have to bother gearing them

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'd rather watch paint dry than level again in potd. Give me command missions any day.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’m not looking forward to leveling RDM when I’m done with AST. I don’t even have the ability to run dungeons with my squadron unlocked.

At least I’m starting from 50 instead of 1 but still…

(I also need to get SMN to 80 but at least I have Bojza and SCH to help with that.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m about to cap out WAR, and need to work to get AST or DNC up a level or three so that they can claim the rest of the ShB MSQ. The instances are getting trickier and I’m not a very good player so I’m getting nervous about the prospect.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

hopeandjoy posted:

I’m not looking forward to leveling RDM when I’m done with AST. I don’t even have the ability to run dungeons with my squadron unlocked.

At least I’m starting from 50 instead of 1 but still…

(I also need to get SMN to 80 but at least I have Bojza and SCH to help with that.)

Starting at 50 isn't bad because you basically have the full suite of roulettes at your disposal excluding Expert DR and normal raid roulette, as well as being able to supplement with HW beast tribe dailies.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are the beast tribe dailies good exp? I did some but don’t recall how worthwhile they were beyond unlocks and story.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Onean posted:

Using the matched party option will get you a group pretty quickly and the run will be real quick too.

That has never been my experience for anything other than 1-10.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Subjunctive posted:

Are the beast tribe dailies good exp? I did some but don’t recall how worthwhile they were beyond unlocks and story.

Heavensward and above Beast tribes are. Only the Ixal are for ARR Beast Tribes.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Stormblood and Shadowbringers are worth it for combat. The crafter/gatherer dailies are worth it at every level (though Firmament is faster, the tribe dailies still give decent EXP). Edit: For Heavensward the Vath are okay, while the Vanu take place all around in a very vertical zone so they're pretty slow.

Kyrosiris posted:

That has never been my experience for anything other than 1-10.

As a DPS I just did a bunch of 51-60 and had to wait about 2-3 minutes each time (except once or twice where I got an instant queue). Compared to the couple of dungeon runs before where I had to wait about 7-10 minutes.

Onean fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 8, 2021

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Basically as you progress the exp gets better from beast tribes. The best exp is Pixies but if you do both of the combat beast tribes in Stormblood they come close, which is better than the exp from the two beast tribes in Heavensward, which is way better than the exp from four beast tribes in ARR.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Subjunctive posted:

Not the ARR ones, but the ones in any of the expansions are great, yes.

They scale to your level, and give a good amount of XP. A nice daily bonus, you can do it while queueing. The only problem is if you're doing one of those ones where you ride a temporary mount, if you get pulled into a duty it takes you off the mount and sends you back to the aetheryte. Kind of annoying.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

In terms of post-game SHB progress, if everyone just made it back to the Source,, how much more game is there?

Also as a WHM I think my biggest guilty pleasure is popping enormous full-party Cure IIIs. It's useless 99% of the time but occasionally after a stack marker or if the whole group is melee you can get everyone in its radius and heal tens of thousands of HP in one go :shepface:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

In terms of post-game SHB progress, if everyone just made it back to the Source,, how much more game is there?

Also as a WHM I think my biggest guilty pleasure is popping enormous full-party Cure IIIs. It's useless 99% of the time but occasionally after a stack marker or if the whole group is melee you can get everyone in its radius and heal tens of thousands of HP in one go :shepface:

You've got two more patches worth of stuff, so not a lot but it's very action-packed!

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

a similar feeling for AST is when you have a bomb about to bust and you get a stack marker that you can lure everyone into it with :science:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, that's the problem, I can never progress enough to get to 51-60. Queue times for anything but 1-10 are miserable and every time I've tried to solo it, I end up wiping on the floor 20 boss because I have god-awful aetherpool/silver chest RNG.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

What times are you queueing? I had okay-ish 1-50 queues during prime weekend-evening time on Crystal. (Not sure if that'll hold for 51-100, though. I just want to finish the story and maybe get some interesting loot, that's all.)

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Solo POTD is extremely frontloaded in difficulty because of how the enemy level ranges work out. It would not be something I recommend trying without broader experience with deep dungeons.

Alternately snag three folks and just fixed party 1-50, would take less than 90 mins.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Leraika posted:

hearing about newbies going through the game and enjoying themselves owns actually

It will please you to know I'm having a blast with the story then. It's a refreshing change from the competition :v:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

McCloud posted:

It will please you to know I'm having a blast with the story then. It's a refreshing change from the competition :v:

:toot:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wait wait hold on, Raubahns son is one of those tiny gnome people!? Whaaa

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

McCloud posted:

Wait wait hold on, Raubahns son is one of those tiny gnome people!? Whaaa

He's adopted.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Oh, that makes way more sense than what I pictured

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
well Raub and the falafel queen have a very, very close relationship sooo

edit: Highlander mounts for lalas when

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

That has me thinking actually, is Hilda the only example of a cross-race person in the entire game? She's living proof that there's no problem with genetic compatibility amongst the races, but maybe they (rightly) assume the world isn't ready for the implications of, say, Roegadyn-Lalafell breeding :shepicide:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
there's a catboy dating a potatoess in the culinarian quests, give it time (?)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There's a quest in the Ruby Sea that describes a hyur/au ra hybrid as having an au ra's horns and tail but no scales.

Chronicles further confirms that yes, all the playable races can interbreed. All of them.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

That has me thinking actually, is Hilda the only example of a cross-race person in the entire game? She's living proof that there's no problem with genetic compatibility amongst the races, but maybe they (rightly) assume the world isn't ready for the implications of, say, Roegadyn-Lalafell breeding :shepicide:

I hope we meet a lala/roe and they just look like a completely normal hyur. All the differences cancel out!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Oh, if anybody's going for the Fashion Report 100 rating, this looks like a great week to get it. Most of the pieces are incredibly cheap and available at low level.

https://twitter.com/KaiyokoStar/status/1446422996575342593

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That is the easiest 100 point challenge I have ever seen. Definitely the week to go for the title.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Onean posted:

Stormblood and Shadowbringers are worth it for combat. The crafter/gatherer dailies are worth it at every level (though Firmament is faster, the tribe dailies still give decent EXP). Edit: For Heavensward the Vath are okay, while the Vanu take place all around in a very vertical zone so they're pretty slow.

The Vath inexplicably give more XP per quest than the Vanu Vanu so they're faster just because of that.

I actually found the Vanu Vanu quests easier to speed through, though; their home base is adjacent to an aetheryte so if they send you to the far reaches you can teleport back, and a third of their quests send you to Camp Cloudtop which also has an aetheryte. So if you eat a few hundred gil a day in fees, you can fast travel a lot for the chonkbirbs.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

FuturePastNow posted:

The Vath inexplicably give more XP per quest than the Vanu Vanu so they're faster just because of that.

I actually found the Vanu Vanu quests easier to speed through, though; their home base is adjacent to an aetheryte so if they send you to the far reaches you can teleport back, and a third of their quests send you to Camp Cloudtop which also has an aetheryte. So if you eat a few hundred gil a day in fees, you can fast travel a lot for the chonkbirbs.

Yeah, both of the HW ones are worth doing, the Vanu Vanu only rarely send you to the other side of the map, and it's worth doing for the story too. I think those two are still my absolute favorites, though the dwarves in ShB come close.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cythereal posted:

There's a quest in the Ruby Sea that describes a hyur/au ra hybrid as having an au ra's horns and tail but no scales.

Chronicles further confirms that yes, all the playable races can interbreed. All of them.

Although it, or other sources, indicate half-breeds are extremely rare. While all the playable races can interbreed they don't seem to be particularly fertile when they cross.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Newbie question, but: I was in Southern Thanalan doing beast tribe quests when suddenly chat lit up with people going 'inv pls' and, a few minutes later, 'thx for spawn/relay' or something similar.

I googled around and that has led me to assume this was some big boss monster randomly spawning and people asking to be brought to join in? Do I have that right? How did they learn the monster was there?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Picayune posted:

Newbie question, but: I was in Southern Thanalan doing beast tribe quests when suddenly chat lit up with people going 'inv pls' and, a few minutes later, 'thx for spawn/relay' or something similar.

I googled around and that has led me to assume this was some big boss monster randomly spawning and people asking to be brought to join in? Do I have that right? How did they learn the monster was there?

Usually, in my experience, this is a "hunt mark," which is a special monster connected with the Hunt mechanic you get access to in the ARR postgame. Hunt marks spawn semi-randomly around zones, and generally someone will just stumble upon it and then alert people in /shout, since they're usually not soloable.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
You have to unlock s rank hunts, which needs level and gc progress. There’s a zone wide message when they spawn, but people track and post in a Discord to announce them.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sounds like you were in the same zone as a Hunt Train!

Basically at around certain times of day big monsters will spawn, somebody spots them and tells the rest of the server, and the Hunt is on! There are several discords devoted to the Hunt and that's where most people get their info.

There's more complicated stuff like there's different ranks of monsters and some of them have specific behaviors you have to do to get them to spawn but that's kinda past my scope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Begemot posted:

Yeah, both of the HW ones are worth doing, the Vanu Vanu only rarely send you to the other side of the map, and it's worth doing for the story too. I think those two are still my absolute favorites, though the dwarves in ShB come close.

I perform the sundrop dance every time I see a certain wicked white. He hasn't been scared off by it yet, though.