Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

And don’t forget that you can in fact handle 1 block-high gaps with sliding, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I actually sort of liked my time with Other M. Some of the environments were really cool looking and I felt the part where you find out Ridley has grown to be genuinely creepy.

That being said, the controls sucked rear end and really should have allowed the classic controller.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

This game really likes hidden blocks. If you're softlocked it's because they really want you to shoot at anything suspicious before letting you go free

I was stuck for a bit because I shot a hidden block but couldn't roll over yet without the morph ball and it turned out it just wanted me to shoot one right below it, but also didn't register the twenty shots around it to see what was up the first few times lmao

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

blackguy32 posted:

I actually sort of liked my time with Other M. Some of the environments were really cool looking and I felt the part where you find out Ridley has grown to be genuinely creepy.

That being said, the controls sucked rear end and really should have allowed the classic controller.

Wait it was a 3d character action game and it REQUIRED motion controls? What the gently caress

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Why is everyone hating on the underwater boss. That was probably the easiest one IMO. Only one phase, and I think I got him in 3 cycles, once I figured out the fight, which probably only took 3 tries? My only disappointment there was I assumed he would give me the gravity suit, which I still haven't found - I assume I will eventually.

Way less tedious than those drat Robo-Chozo things, that you just have to blink past over and over again to land a charge shot and a couple missiles 100 times in a row, and then don't give you anything but energy/ammo refills.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 9, 2021

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Wait it was a 3d character action game and it REQUIRED motion controls? What the gently caress

Like I said man, it's not like Other M's plot was the only bad thing about it lol

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

You had to point the Wiimote at the screen to go into first person to launch missiles (there is no other way to use missiles), and holding it straight up for a few seconds restocked your missiles and a few bars of energy, as Other M had no item drops.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I'm gonna get poo poo on, but this feels like the dark souls 2 (before sofs) of Metroid games. I'm enjoying the level design and exploration but this melee counter poo poo is annoying.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the only supported control scheme was sideways wii remote. you had to move around with the d-pad and in order to fire missiles you needed to switch into first person mode by turning the wii remote around and pointing it at the sensor bar to aim, and to dodge in first-person you had to waggle when enemies were about to hit you

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm like barely ever melee-ing. I picked up all these missiles, I'm gonna use them.

Speaking of, this is the first Metroid where I'm using missiles to expose block types. Feels weird.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm gonna get poo poo on, but this feels like the dark souls 2 (before sofs) of Metroid games. I'm enjoying the level design and exploration but this melee counter poo poo is annoying.

Honestly, you can basically ignore the melee counter....95% of the time when you are just running around? I really only find it useful on the flying enemies, just because they can sometimes be hard to hit via free-aim. Missile everything else.

Sure there are a few times when you absolutely need to use it, but it is pretty forgiving on the timing, way more than the drat EMMI counter.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Worse, it was a 3D character action game that REQUIRED you to play it with the NES-style sideways wiimote AND REQUIRED pointer control.

How does that work you might ask?

Not very well. Not well at all.

If they just let you play it with a nunchuck and wiimote combo as originally designed, it could have worked fine.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

ghostinmyshell posted:

Yeah the melee counter is so-so. It doesn't really change up the games core combat, other than waiting for a monster to flash as it charged you, which gets old fast.

At least it isn't as prevalent in this game as it was in samus returns.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Also does anyone else think the emmis are kinda bullshit? Whenever I get nabbed, it's because I've dropped off a ledge or something and the emmi just happened to be right there. Also whenever I cloak, they just walk into me anyhow.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Holy hot drat Experiment Z-57 is a loving cool boss

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the running counter is awesome, it does damage and can kill weaker enemies instantly and some enemies you can hit with it to immediately bait them into doing their flashing move so you can kill them instantly, it’s awesome and does a lot to improve the flow of combat.
I didn’t like the counter system in Samus Returns but it’s pretty fun here.

Also some of the counter animations are just so drat cool.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Kids watched me play through to the second E.M.M.I. My youngest kept saying "Oh no oh poo poo" as it chased me around a few times and hell, same.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I don’t like the map because it triggers my OCD and I have to force myself to not make every corner of every room bright

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I countered a fuckton just because "pause for a second, counter and oneshot" was nearly always faster than spamming bullets or missiles (until you get screw attack, anyways)

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

This game really likes hidden blocks. If you're softlocked it's because they really want you to shoot at anything suspicious before letting you go free

This x1000.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Also does anyone else think the emmis are kinda bullshit? Whenever I get nabbed, it's because I've dropped off a ledge or something and the emmi just happened to be right there. Also whenever I cloak, they just walk into me anyhow.

That's the point. Be more careful. They blink red on the map so don't drop on the big pulsating red dot lol

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Was about to fall off the couch after whiffing the killing blow on the green EMMI. Got very lucky that it didn't grab me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I killed corpius, went to the next zone and it looks like all directions lead to fire rooms I can’t go in. So I head back to the first area to see what I missed and there is some big fire fungus thing blocking the only way back. Doesn’t seem like I can damage it or anything. No idea what to do next.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

veni veni veni posted:

I killed corpius, went to the next zone and it looks like all directions lead to fire rooms I can’t go in. So I head back to the first area to see what I missed and there is some big fire fungus thing blocking the only way back. Doesn’t seem like I can damage it or anything. No idea what to do next.

in this case I'm fairly certain it's to the left of the elevator you arrive at in the fire zone

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Just got the speed booster

It absolutely owns :perfect:

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Kids watched me play through to the second E.M.M.I. My youngest kept saying "Oh no oh poo poo" as it chased me around a few times and hell, same.

Haha yeah my kid screamed when an emmi got me. Then, later in the evening he's walking through the house making emmi noises and laughing when he grabs me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

in this case I'm fairly certain it's to the left of the elevator you arrive at in the fire zone

That was it thanks

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Just got the speed booster

It absolutely owns :perfect:

The Speed Booster in other games despite being cool never really clicked fully for me, here though it 100% clicked and it rules. For whatever reason every little control alteration just WORKS for me now and I love it.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

While you're aiming your shinespark after activating it but before it goes off Samus tilts her gaze in the direction you're pointing your stick.

I love this game :allears:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Final boss mini spoilers: after beating it on hard I figured out the trick to the final phase and now I feel really stupid for struggling with that part so much on normal lmao

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Samus putting a steadying hand on the wall of a 1 block high hole as she peers through with her cannon is smooth as hell. Love those little details.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Despite how dangerous the EMMI are to Samus, I don't think they would be a match for something like Kraid or Ridley. The reasons the EMMI are threatening is that they are bigger and stronger then Samus while being immune to her weapons. Kraid and Ridley are not immune to her weapons, but are bigger and stronger. Kraid could probbably just grab an EMMI and I don't think it could do anything to him while he crushed it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8JEGqgFlQA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_dQUgWQfWM

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
Finished the game. Overall I don't think I really cared for it that much; I'd place it somewhere around Fusion since it does a few things better, a few things worse.

My biggest complaint is that the game is very linear, similar to Fusion. One of the tricks it constantly uses to prevent you from getting lost or going elsewhere is one-way locks, whether it's due to environmental changes, falls or otherwise. There are a few points in the game where you can potentially sequence break but because they use a lot of one-way gates and hard locks based on what you've found, I can see a fair amount of parts where you can get stuck with no way out if you really pressed it. It also telegraphs where you need to go very hard because usually once you get an upgrade, there will be one place on the map where you can use that upgrade and the game shoves you towards it. Also towards the end I started getting fed up with them reusing the same fight over and over again; EMMI were annoying enough but then you start fighting the same recurring two enemies as minibosses five times each.

Other than that, it might be the most beautifully bland game I've seen. It has an incredibly strong art style that it proceeds to use for gray corridors, lab architecture and so forth. There's only one area in the game that really feels appropriately 'alien'. The music has similar problems where it doesn't exist outside of the EMMI theme. None of it stood out to me or really helped set the mood.

Finally, I couldn't help but laugh a bit when daddy issues round 2 cropped up. It really wasn't necessary, at all.

Lot of gripes. Not a bad game by a long shot, but I'll be hoping for Prime 4 to really wow me if it makes it out of development hell unscathed.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
hahahaha the last(?) EMMI (orange)

i was not expecting Samus to instakill the thing

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ragequit posted:

Samus putting a steadying hand on the wall of a 1 block high hole as she peers through with her cannon is smooth as hell. Love those little details.

There's even a little animation detail for pushing one of the floor pressure plate switches (for the savegame etc) with one leg on the switch.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
the gameplay felt too good to pay much attention to whatever the gently caress was going on with the plot tbh lol

"the dna in your vaccine reacted to being attacked by a bird and turned you into a vampire crab" - the most knowledgable npc in the game

there's a "i found the baby and the baby was me" joke in there somewhere though

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
poo poo I wish I knew about this when I fought this turd a while ago.

Boss spoiler: Kraid

https://twitter.com/ArgorokX/status/1446713818608848899

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I found that after and thought they had just put it in for the poor assholes who wanted to explore early and bomb jumped/damage boosted across the arena lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ghostinmyshell posted:

poo poo I wish I knew about this when I fought this turd a while ago.

Boss spoiler: Kraid

https://twitter.com/ArgorokX/status/1446713818608848899