Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

jng2058 posted:

What encourages me is that they did a full song in the Old Tongue, which in turn suggests that they may have enough of the language devised to have Mat spouting off in it once in awhile!

There is a semi complete old one dictionary . . .somewhere. Jordan apparently took the thousand most commonly used words, cut the modern ones, and then made old tongue equivalents for the rest. So there's a mini dictionary somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yeah the foundation itself extends beyond the inn and there's a fully mature tree growing in it, it's a very big structure.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There is a semi complete old one dictionary . . .somewhere. Jordan apparently took the thousand most commonly used words, cut the modern ones, and then made old tongue equivalents for the rest. So there's a mini dictionary somewhere.

Didn't know that. Cool!

So someone hurry up and translate the song for us already!

e: Listening to it more, I can hear them sing "Tar Valon" in the refrain, and since the title means "The Flame" as I understand it, I'm assuming this song is Siuan's, possibly her personal theme. But I could also hear it as a diegetic song, maybe sung by a choir of Novices and Accepted directed by a musically inclined Aes Sedai. Maybe it's what they sing as the Amyrlin arrives for certain formal occasions or something?

Dammit, why isn't it November 19th yet? :argh:

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 9, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

My problem is Perrin looks so drat dopey with his mouth open all the time.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

interesting that the winespring inn serves brandy

Tam and Rand deliver apple brandy for Winternight so

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ponsonby Britt posted:

I love Rand's brief moment of panic later in the series when somebody refers to Morgase and Tigraine as "cousins." Explicit textual proof that the Two Rivers has a taboo against that sort of thing!

And hell, they both have the same half brother.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

interesting that the winespring inn serves brandy

The winespring is so named because there is a spring whose water tastes as sweet as wine.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Tam and Rand deliver apple brandy for Winternight so

lol we're gonna get this poo poo multiple times a day every episode huh

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

silvergoose posted:

The winespring is so named because there is a spring whose water tastes as sweet as wine.

and there's a river on the border of the shire named the brandywine, i was going for a probably too esoterical reference

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

and there's a river on the border of the shire named the brandywine, i was going for a probably too esoterical reference

Yeah too many steps there for that kind of joke, I appreciate it though now that you've explained. :3:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Going back a couple of pages, Warders have cool cloaks because Frodo and Sam and company use cool cloaks that they got from the elves. That's it.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
This has nothing to do with the current discussion, but

ive been singing “oo wee ooo, stedding tsofu (loial)” like that beets song Killer Tofu from Doug for like days now

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Barreft posted:

My problem is Perrin looks so drat dopey with his mouth open all the time.

It worked for Jon Snow :shobon:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Perrin looking dopey is a good visual clue for people thinking he's a bit slow.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Atlas Hugged posted:

Perrin looking dopey is a good visual clue for people thinking he's a bit slow.

Was about to post that, him looking dopey is not a bad visual clue.

Overall, I liked the trailer quite a bit. I'm still very hype for the show to finally air.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Going back a couple of pages, Warders have cool cloaks because Frodo and Sam and company use cool cloaks that they got from the elves. That's it.

That's exactly it, and I spent like 5 minutes yesterday trying to remember when the cloaks ever served a function beyond announcing "my wearer is a warder!". I can't come up with one, so it's fine for the show to drop them.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s been a while but not many people in Edmonds Field knows what an Aes Sedai is right? Like literally two people?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s been a while but not many people in Edmonds Field knows what an Aes Sedai is right? Like literally two people?

They all know what Aes Sedai are, in general folklore-ish terms, but they wouldn't know one by seeing her unless she made herself known. Tam is likely the only one to have seen one in real life, and I'd wager Abell could likely clock one by sight as well.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Apparently the Aes Sedai rings are all set with a stone matching their ajah color. Which makes me wonder how the wonder girls will pull off the "posing as Aes Sedai" trick, since accepted probably don't have a colored stone set in their ring.

I just read the relevant section in EoTW again, and Moiraine really does give her name, and wears her Great Serpent ring openly. It's just that at least Rand doesn't recognize her as an Aes Sedai by it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

uPen posted:

There's enough people that with just Watch Hill + Emonds Field that after like a weeklong(?) siege by thousands of trollocs they still had enough manpower left that 400 mounted, armored whitecloaks were chased out of town without a fight. There's got to be thousands of people living in the Two Rivers, tens of thousands when the refugees start flowing in.

I remember being baffled by the refugees when i was reading. Aren’t the mountains of mist pretty much uninhabited and unpassable, aside from, like, a mine or two? Why the hell would refugees try to cross them?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Torrannor posted:

Apparently the Aes Sedai rings are all set with a stone matching their ajah color. Which makes me wonder how the wonder girls will pull off the "posing as Aes Sedai" trick, since accepted probably don't have a colored stone set in their ring.

I just read the relevant section in EoTW again, and Moiraine really does give her name, and wears her Great Serpent ring openly. It's just that at least Rand doesn't recognize her as an Aes Sedai by it.

Ewin Finngar twigs to it, though, and also correctly pegs Lan as her Warder despite them obviously not fitting the common perception of what an Aes Sedai and her Warder would look like or do.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I remember being baffled by the refugees when i was reading. Aren’t the mountains of mist pretty much uninhabited and unpassable, aside from, like, a mine or two? Why the hell would refugees try to cross them?

Well that's kind of the defining characteristic of a refugee, they're fleeing from something terrible and are willing to take massive risks

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

The 13+13 method seems like the channelers it creates somehow become a bit uncanny vally so isnt great for subtle infiltration

According to the description how it works, you wouldn't notice it if it was done to someone like Trump, but with anyone else it would be like being replaced by your evil twin, including full-on evil cackling at every second word out of your mouth

I'd imagine this to be a bit unsubtle, yeah

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Torrannor posted:

Siuan could give them full rings along with the letters, that would be the quick fix.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

not sure how i feel about that sneak peek but we'll see

i'm really loving al'naito though, listening to that on repeat. definitely the theme for the amyrlin seat

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Jedit posted:

The glossary in the books has it as man-DRAG-or-an, which is exactly how he pronounces it.

It's bugging me that Perrin is taller than Rand.

In my defense, I wasn’t looking up how to pronounce one of the more (seemingly) straight forward names of the series. I saved those moments for Egwene and Siuan and the like.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
And "it's not care-hein? what the hell do you mean it has three syllables?"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Just wait till you hear the old name for the city!!

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
There's like 100's of posters on reddit who don't seem to understand that the visual intro of Lan, and all the townspeople's reaction is so standoffish and defensive is because a "rider in black" has been stalking all the boys around Rand's age and they've told Nynaeve and their parents so everyone is on alert.

The show is pulling the old switcheroo trope where they try to make you think its the bad guy entering wearing his black cloak with the hood up, but it's actually this other character.

TLDR: Redditors are bad at watching trailers

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Vavrek posted:

And "it's not care-hein? what the hell do you mean it has three syllables?"
I always kinda pronounced it like carrion. care he in

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

redditors lacking critical thinking skills in regards to media? i'm shocked

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Johnny Joestar posted:

this thread just got finished getting mad about moiraine using her real name and the richest man in town having a big inn so let’s keep those stones on the ground for now

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

th3t00t posted:

TLDR: Redditors are bad

Naturally.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

buffalo all day posted:

this thread just got finished getting mad about moiraine using her real name and the richest man in town having a big inn so let’s keep those stones on the ground for now

I didn't know that one guy who was dumb bought and owned the entire thread, I need to contact Jeffrey to see how much owning a thread costs

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Libluini posted:

I didn't know that one guy who was dumb bought and owned the entire thread, I need to contact Jeffrey to see how much owning a thread costs

lmao come on

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Johnny Joestar posted:

In fairness goons are also notorious for lacking critical media watching skills as well.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pleads posted:

Youtube link because Twitter's video playback is atrocious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIMkfP4JsxU

Really eschewing any sort of naturalism. Lol turning her head got a SFX croon

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

th3t00t posted:

In fairness goons are also notorious for lacking critical media watching skills as well.

yeah, but at least this forum has no pull in terms of driving dumb trends online these days or inspiring youtube rant videos

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

th3t00t posted:

I always kinda pronounced it like carrion. care he in

Close. It's more like "Kyrie N".

Also change the name of the thread to "The Wheel of Time: Jeffrey's Second Hand Thread Rentals".

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Ben Affleck in "Grolm Girl"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

buffalo all day posted:

I was pretty upset, true rage filled my heart.

It was sarcasm.