Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Seemlar posted:

I can let stuff like the revised version of The Gathering having Kosh say "Hello, Ranger One Valen" to Sinclair the first time he meets him slide because nobody will know what those words mean for years, but In The Beginning shows way too many cards to be watched first

You say "cards" I say "hooks". Babylon 5 has prophecy as a major component and "this was all planned out" as a meta-component. Seeing how Mollari and G'Kar end doesn't cheapen the journey. Seeing how Mollari's faustian bargain is faustian doesn't cheapen the journey. The (illusion of a) clockwork nature is what makes B5 good.

If it was just the Babylon 5th Sense we wouldn't still be talking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

OnlyBans posted:

Spoilers can ruin things that rely on a twist. B5 isn't that though. B5 gets better the more you know. Giving people more to know helps draw them in.

Literally the first time we see Mollari he says "yeah, G'Kar is going to strangle me to death. That's how I die."

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

OnlyBans posted:

Spoilers can ruin things that rely on a twist. B5 isn't that though. B5 gets better the more you know. Giving people more to know helps draw them in.

Are you …. Watching the same show as us?

E: I saw your next post, and you are completely correct that the show calls the hits, but the spoilers are how they get there. In the Beginning reveals A LOT of how they get there.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think having portents and prophecies are what make B5 unique. When I was watching it and saw Molari's dream I was surprised to learn that almost all of it was going to come true. Same thing with Sheridan's visions.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean fantasy has been doing that for a while.

It happens a lot in wheel of time and man it sucks

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I was really surprised about Londo and G'Kar. I thought for sure that Sheridan had changed the future, but nope! In the beginning was good because it had that ending where it was the night right before Londo died at G'Kars hands.

The funniest thing about In the Beginning was Ivanova showing up in that really bad haircut and explaining why she wears one earing.

Did G'Kar and Sheridan ever acknowledge that they knew each other before Bablyon 5 that was a serious retcon .

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I think having portents and prophecies are what make B5 unique. When I was watching it and saw Molari's dream I was surprised to learn that almost all of it was going to come true. Same thing with Sheridan's visions.

Agreed. And there’s a difference between the show offering a prophecy and someone who watched the show offering a spoiler. JMS sometimes (not always) makes in-show prophecies misleading. More to the point, those “spoilers” are planned and deliberate and for effect: we see Londo’s death vision and draw conclusions about G’Kar, for example. Whereas real spoilers offered by those who watched the show by definition do not work with the pacing of reveals the show itself provides.

Some people are OK with spoilers or actively seek them out, but it’s not an act of kindness to deliberately spoil someone against their will, and especially not with a show like this.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hollismason posted:

that really bad haircut

I mean, how would you tell the difference between a good haircut and a bad one in this show.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Alhazred posted:

I mean, how would you tell the difference between a good haircut and a bad one in this show.

Theres s2-5 Garibaldi vs season 1 Totally not Balding.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

That account belongs to user "shbobdb", who also posted here and in the blind watch thread as "incelshock na" until that one got banned. Draw your own conclusions from there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Narsham posted:

Agreed. And there’s a difference between the show offering a prophecy and someone who watched the show offering a spoiler. JMS sometimes (not always) makes in-show prophecies misleading. More to the point, those “spoilers” are planned and deliberate and for effect: we see Londo’s death vision and draw conclusions about G’Kar, for example.

On top of which, Londo is told that he can still avert his prophesied death. So the question posed by the show is not if it will happen, but if Londo will change. In the end he does, but that's why he dies. His last chance to avoid his fate is to allow the Keeper to take him over fully; it would have stopped G'Kar killing him. But if he did it would also learn that he helped Sheridan and Delenn to escape, and the retribution would have been his worst fear - the destruction of Centauri Prime.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Doctor Zero posted:

E: I saw your next post, and you are completely correct that the show calls the hits, but the spoilers are how they get there. In the Beginning reveals A LOT of how they get there.

So what? Again, do you think B5 is worth rewatching? Like, there are twists and such and watching it the first time is a ride but you have to watch it in order to enjoy that ride. Gotta hook people somehow.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

OnlyBans posted:

So what? Again, do you think B5 is worth rewatching? Like, there are twists and such and watching it the first time is a ride but you have to watch it in order to enjoy that ride. Gotta hook people somehow.

Yep. It’s called season 1 episode 1. (And a promise it gets better )

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Nah, that's a terrible way to get people to watch B5 unless they have massive amounts of free time.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The pilot episode is just good enough to hook people. Its got some sore points but overall its really good.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I got the remaster yesterday just in time for me convincing my wife that we should watch B5. We had already started, got up to and including Believers before we fell off the wagon. But now we've seen By Any Means Necessary and Signs and Portents and she's invested. :toot:

I have to say, the future is loving stupid. Why is the remaster of a quarter century old TV show region locked and almost impossible to get a hold of in Scandinavia? I just want to give you my money for gently caress's sake. The number of hoops I had to jump through to get ahold of the remaster is ridiculous.

Sidenote, I don't care as who or what, but I would like to see Jason Isaacs in the reboot.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Groetgaffel posted:

I got the remaster yesterday just in time for me convincing my wife that we should watch B5. We had already started, got up to and including Believers before we fell off the wagon. But now we've seen By Any Means Necessary and Signs and Portents and she's invested. :toot:

I have to say, the future is loving stupid. Why is the remaster of a quarter century old TV show region locked and almost impossible to get a hold of in Scandinavia? I just want to give you my money for gently caress's sake. The number of hoops I had to jump through to get ahold of the remaster is ridiculous.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Groetgaffel posted:

I can't speak to this particular case, but when I was working in the TV industry, we often had to do lock out parts of Europe because the local channels/distributions in various countries in Europe insisted on a lot of protectionist clauses.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Groetgaffel posted:

For what it's worth, HBO Nordic will be replaced by HBO Max on October 26, and it will very likely include B5 (though depending on the subtitles situation not necessarily at launch). So I would think that particular problem is about to be fixed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wasn't B5 shot in widescreen. I think I recall reading somewhere that it was shot in widescreen.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Hollismason posted:

Wasn't B5 shot in widescreen. I think I recall reading somewhere that it was shot in widescreen.

It was shot widescreen-safe, but framed for 4:3.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hollismason posted:

It was shot intending to be shown at 4:3 because that's all TV was at the time, but JMS wanted to future-proof it so everything was framed and filmed in such a way it could be shown widescreen. However, the computer VFX were only done for 4:3, so they looked lovely on the widescreen version. The HD returns it to all being 4:3 for the sake of the effects.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Zat posted:

For what it's worth, HBO Nordic will be replaced by HBO Max on October 26, and it will very likely include B5 (though depending on the subtitles situation not necessarily at launch). So I would think that particular problem is about to be fixed.
This is true, but I prefer straight up owning it over just streaming it.
Which I now do, annoying as it was to make an iTunes account registered to a US address and then buy the show with gift cards.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/thegeeksreviews/status/1446981922069094402

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Thanks for the heads up. It’s rewatch time.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Hollismason posted:

Did G'Kar and Sheridan ever acknowledge that they knew each other before Bablyon 5 that was a serious retcon .

Don't they get their memories wiped? I assume it took enough that Sheridan doesn't remember meeting G'Kar or that it was all really fuzzy.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

V-Men posted:

Don't they get their memories wiped? I assume it took enough that Sheridan doesn't remember meeting G'Kar or that it was all really fuzzy.

They do not get mindwiped. Sheridan should indeed know G'kar, and no, they never mention it. The only thing they do cover is making sure that Delenn is fully hooded in the scene where she spares Sheridan and Franklin so that he doesn't recognize her when he first meets her in early season two.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

jng2058 posted:

They do not get mindwiped. Sheridan should indeed know G'kar, and no, they never mention it. The only thing they do cover is making sure that Delenn is fully hooded in the scene where she spares Sheridan and Franklin so that he doesn't recognize her when he first meets her in early season two.

I'm not sure what they would have said to each other. "Nice to see you again, glad your species didn't get wiped out"?

It isn't like they were best friends.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I mean they were on a mission together. I figure they at least talked. I dunno it was kind of inconsistent and a little retconny.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
If humans have racial face blindness within their own species, it makes sense to think that races would also have similar difficulty telling individual members apart. If memory serves, it was also before Sheridan became famous. So, some human named "John" (an extremely common name) and some Narn named G'Kar (no idea how common it is but since they choose their names based off their patron saint and G'Quon is *huge* it's also probably "John" level common) did a mission together. By the time they get to B5, they both know that "John" and "G'Kar" are common names and that not all humans/narns know each other. Sure, they look like the John/G'Kar they met during the war but they want to avoid committing a space racism.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I guess. I dunno it still doesn't really make any sense that they never acknowledge their past relationship. Otherwise In the Beginning is incredibly good.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Narsham posted:

I'm not sure what they would have said to each other. "Nice to see you again, glad your species didn't get wiped out"?

It isn't like they were best friends.

You would expect John to treat G'kar exactly like he treated Ta'lon when they met again after the Streib rescue. "Hey man, good to see you again. I'm glad you're doing well, thanks for trying to save my species, I'm sorry your ship full of Narns got blown up trying to help us. Let's get a drink."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Alhazred posted:

Literally the first time we see Mollari he says "yeah, G'Kar is going to strangle me to death. That's how I die."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAaSDARSF_8

head58
Apr 1, 2013

The Name of the Pod is back with our ill-informed, lukewarm takes on the prospect of the reboot!

https://www.ilinxilinx.com/nameofthepod/2021/10/11/rebooted?fbclid=IwAR1bYVf4sBTYHFv30Ke8K5PkABS18fx7-ZUS-mPNYo5Hm_jAT_GTUXNYJzQ

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

jng2058 posted:

You would expect John to treat G'kar exactly like he treated Ta'lon when they met again after the Streib rescue. "Hey man, good to see you again. I'm glad you're doing well, thanks for trying to save my species, I'm sorry your ship full of Narns got blown up trying to help us. Let's get a drink."

Obviously, this is a retcon, so JMS didn't plan for it, and equally obviously he did it because he had access to a subset of the cast for each of the TV movies and anyone he didn't use didn't get paid, so he wanted to use Katsulas where he could.

Out of curiosity, I checked the script books for S2: G'Kar is initially off the station when Sheridan arrives, investigating the rumors of Shadows returning. He comes back in "Revelations" and first encounters Sheridan in the council chambers.

G'Kar: Captain Sheridan, I take it? Ambassador G'Kar, Narn Regime, third circle.
Sheridan: Ambassador. I've been looking forward to meeting you for some time. But I didn't expect the opportunity to come quite so suddenly.

The first Franklin-Sheridan scene makes clear they've already met and talked off-screen, so there's little data there. These lines could be read as being cagey as the conversation is taking place in front of Londo (and is presumably being recorded, too), but there's no on-screen private conversation afterward that addresses this history.

There is an easier retcon of the retcon, if you like: Londo is narrating the "In the Beginning" stories. It's possible G'Kar told him about being a part of this mission. It's also possible Franklin or Sheridan mentioned it. Or he might have received intelligence reports establishing who attended after the fact. But the last possibility is that he doesn't know the names of the representatives present at this meeting, and is therefore putting these three people into the story at this point when it wasn't them at all. That does seem like something the guilty-feeling Londo could potentially do.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Narsham posted:

There is an easier retcon of the retcon, if you like: Londo is narrating the "In the Beginning" stories. It's possible G'Kar told him about being a part of this mission. It's also possible Franklin or Sheridan mentioned it. Or he might have received intelligence reports establishing who attended after the fact. But the last possibility is that he doesn't know the names of the representatives present at this meeting, and is therefore putting these three people into the story at this point when it wasn't them at all. That does seem like something the guilty-feeling Londo could potentially do.

Oh, that's right. I forgot about that. 'Unreliable Narrator' was my head-canon fix.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Narsham posted:

It's possible G'Kar told him about being a part of this mission. It's also possible Franklin or Sheridan mentioned it. Or he might have received intelligence reports establishing who attended after the fact. But the last possibility is that he doesn't know the names of the representatives present at this meeting, and is therefore putting these three people into the story at this point when it wasn't them at all. That does seem like something the guilty-feeling Londo could potentially do.

Or that Londo was drunk, which is the most plausible explanation.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Alhazred posted:

Or that Londo was drunk, which is the most plausible explanation.

Ironic that what used to be his vice is now his only path to virtue.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Ironic that what used to be his vice is now his only path to virtue.

A little bit of justice, perhaps? Just like Emperor Cotto apparently finding a lot of different ways to get to six. Even if he does get interrupted sometimes.

“WHAT?!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was thinking that i'm excited to at least hear the thoughts of the original cast members once the reboot finally comes out, and then I remembered they are basically all dead. :/