Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I just want to point out that Cali Lean and Carolina Squat are two very different things.
Googling a vs b suggests that a lot of people think they aren't. What's the difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Googling a vs b suggests that a lot of people think they aren't. What's the difference?

One is to look like your truck is a dog taking a poo poo, the other is to look like your truck has a full diaper.

Tbh I've only really seen this on chopped up 20 year old Tacomas and Rangers here in SoCal. Maybe central California I've seen a couple of newer trucks with the front slightly above the rear, but I haven't personally seen anyone lower the rear, though I have no doubt it exists on this coast.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

FogHelmut posted:

I just want to point out that Cali Lean and Carolina Squat are two very different things.

well, (loving stupid) - (loving stupid) = 0, therefor they are the same. loving stupid.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

emf posted:

If wishes and dreams were nickles and dimes I could afford the KC light system in the low-v-high-cost review posted by IOC. Unfortunately, as FogHelmut posts, it is impossible to get which chip any manufacture uses.

Are there any good closeup photos of the LEDs with lens removed on a type you like? I can try to figure it out.

You could theoretically replace the LEDs with something using the same footprint and similar power handling, assuming something exists with good cri that fits.

Do any of the lovely lights have a good enclosure? Could make a new PCB with indoor lighting LEDs.

e:

If you know of good sealed enclosures for 1" office lighting strips (rigid PCB, not the flexible long ones), I have a bunch (maybe 30ish, 1 and 2 feet or so) of high CRI strips from my microgreen growing I would send out v cheap for ai goons.

Bridgelux gen 2
e2:

taqueso fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 16, 2021

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah for the price, I think I'd rather go with the 6112 than the Fox 2.0. Going to the next level up seems to double the cost, and I'm not interested in that. Just trying to have a nicer ride both on and off road, and the 6112 seems to fit the bill. And despite the rebuildability of the Fox, the service life the Bilstein should last as long as I keep this truck.

I do plan using them to lift 2". I don't think I'll need to add control arms or diff drops or anything else for that, but probably will need the sway bar relocation brackets. Only other thing is to add a leaf or blocks for the rear. I don't want to harsh the ride, and I don't think a 1" to 2" block is going to give me any trouble with stability or axle wrap for such a small block. Definitely do not want to spend on a whole new set of leaf springs - unless that's entirely worth it.

I think ultimately just less body roll on the street and less jostling on speed bumps and dirt roads is what I'm after.

This is a 2019 Chevy Colorado for reference.

Yeah thats how I upsold myself :rolleye: to the 2.5s - they weren't that much more than the 2.0s, once I'd already justified that price to myself. Next time I would probably go with the Bilsteins as well.

For your truck, what about an add-a-leaf? Slightly more expensive than just a block, but it would give you a significantly better ride. For body roll, I installed a rear sway bar and its a night and day difference. Of course, that really negatively impacts the articulation. (and of course of course, there are sway bar disconnect kits).

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

Yeah thats how I upsold myself :rolleye: to the 2.5s - they weren't that much more than the 2.0s, once I'd already justified that price to myself. Next time I would probably go with the Bilsteins as well.

For your truck, what about an add-a-leaf? Slightly more expensive than just a block, but it would give you a significantly better ride. For body roll, I installed a rear sway bar and its a night and day difference. Of course, that really negatively impacts the articulation. (and of course of course, there are sway bar disconnect kits).

I think my concern with the add-a-leaf is that it adds like 700lbs of additional load capacity. Won't that make things stiffer and bouncier with no weight in the back?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

In the Portland area a big, new, shiny truck with weird looking roller skate wheels and a giant lift are a good indication you’re a chud.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I was pleasantly surprised by the Jeep culture when I moved to Colorado. I’ve seen more Jeeps than I ever have but only three sets of angry eyes I can recall.

When I was in Louisiana and Texas it was more common to see angry eyes than not, and those stupid windshield visibility reducers armor pieces were everywhere too.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Sometimes our laws regarding modification of vehicles are infuriating and seem really restrictive, but other times I’m really glad that they stop that dumb poo poo and if you get seen on the road you’ll cop a defect notice before you can clench your arsehole and if you keep driving your death trap after it’s defected, you get a stint in jail for your stupidity!

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Does your country disallow specific dumb things, or are all modifications forbidden unless approved, etc? Can you get your plans approved by an engineer or some kind of govt vehicle inspector?

As ever, my car modifications are sensible and functional, but those other guys are crazy and cross the line.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

It gets pretty restrictive, even with an engineer you can't (generally) do suspension lifts over 3 inches or increase your tyre diameter more than 2 inches over factory, can't increase track width by more than one lr two inches two iirc. Engineering is technically required for suspension lifts over 2 inches and every now and again the cops and transport inspectors will do a blitz and pull over, measure and defect every 4wd they see.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

ryanrs posted:

Does your country disallow specific dumb things, or are all modifications forbidden unless approved, etc? Can you get your plans approved by an engineer or some kind of govt vehicle inspector?

As ever, my car modifications are sensible and functional, but those other guys are crazy and cross the line.

There’s definitely scope for engineering work- you can get 35” tyres and a 4” lift engineered for a 40 series cruiser on patrol diffs, but there are certain requirements like having to have your tyres fully enclosed, having to pass a lane swerve test so your poo poo doesn’t fall over at the slightest turn…

I managed to get my old hilux fully road legal with tyres that are 60mm wider than factory and 64mm taller, 2” of lift and an engine that was never released in this country at the time the hilux was imported and that was without engineering. But it varies state by state, some are way more anal (looking at you Queensland) about it than others. In Queensland you technically have to get an engineering certificate for taking the very rear seats out of a landcruiser and turning it from an 8 to a 5 seater. In south Australia you just unbolt them and heave them into the nearest convenient skip bin

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Steve Jorbs posted:

I was pleasantly surprised by the Jeep culture when I moved to Colorado. I’ve seen more Jeeps than I ever have but only three sets of angry eyes I can recall.

When I was in Louisiana and Texas it was more common to see angry eyes than not, and those stupid windshield visibility reducers armor pieces were everywhere too.

Texas is weird because I thought it would be a decent place to wheel and all I get in central texas is "Well have you been to Marble Falls....!" :haw: and I'm like.. well there's a few hills.

Almost moved back west this month but I coudn't yet... next year... I'll be back west.. I miss wheeling the desert/mountains and beaches*....

*- at least as long as Oceano/Pismo is still open.

RE: Light chat:

I had a mix of Halogen Lightforce Strikers and Rigid LED lights, I liked the mix of cool and warm lights and it helped broaden out the visible spectrum a bit. I don't like the LED cool look on some lights [the house I rented had a mixed of cool/warm LED bulbs randomly placed all over, I wound up converting everything to warm bulbs except for the garage].

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Big K of Justice posted:

Texas is weird because I thought it would be a decent place to wheel and all I get in central texas is "Well have you been to Marble Falls....!" :haw: and I'm like.. well there's a few hills.
Ya, the only places I can think of are a couple of Instagram popular offroad parks outside of Dallas and Austin then nothing besides out around Big Bend. Crazy how little public land there despite Texas being Texas huge. Even the national forests were mostly light dirt roads and pocked with impassable private land.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

My understanding is that the state politics were dominated by ranching interests for a long time. So you end up with loads of private ranch land, but not so much public land.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Okay I think I've settled:

Bilstein 6112/5160
+ 2" up front
1" front sway bar drop
1" front differential drop (not exclusively necessary but I'd rather err on the side of caution)
1/4" skid plate spacer so it fits after the differential drop
Add-a-leaf in the back, can give me 1-1.5"

I'm not sure if I'm gaining any major benefits here with the lift. The skid plate is the big low point in the front, and that's going to be higher. That's really it besides approach and departure angles, which I'm not doing any heavy rock crawling. The rear low points are still the differential and shock mounts, which aren't changing. Tires would do that, but I still have about half of the life left on my current ones. But I would need to do this lift (or more) to get bigger tires anyway, despite the can of worms that bigger tires are. There is room to go higher with this setup though with some additional parts, so I think its a great starting point.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

ryanrs posted:

My understanding is that the state politics were dominated by ranching interests for a long time. So you end up with loads of private ranch land, but not so much public land.

That and by the time the idea of public land became a thing Texas was all spoken for. Large land grants going back to pre-statehood ate it all up. Big Bend National Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park only exist because of large swaths of private land being given over for public use.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Yeah someone told me the only really places to wheel is big bend, a vehicle accessible beach in Galveston area and West Texas near El paso...

I really missed public lands, that was one great thing I miss about California, just hitting the trails and going to check out abandoned mines, ghost towns, etc. When I was part of running a big national 4x4 club, the east coast guys didn't get why we west coasters/south west put on so few events.. and that was basically it.. no public land out on the east coast so organizing became more important but out west you.. can just go and do something and be back for dinner, you didn't need to plan a big multi-day trip or anything.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Big K of Justice posted:

Yeah someone told me the only really places to wheel is big bend, a vehicle accessible beach in Galveston area and West Texas near El paso...

There's more places than that but it just heavily sways toward private. But yeah it's nothing like being able to drive out to the Gila Wilderness and all the other places out west.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

emf posted:

I have an old light bar which literally fell off a truck (it is mag-mount and I found it on the side of the road) which I've been considering doing just that.
Update on that: That light bar must have been a pretty sweet bit of kit back when it launched itself into the ditch, as the label on it claims that it is: IP68, 180W, and 6000-6500K, CE and RoHS tested, and I shouldn't throw it in the trash. By my cursory inspection there appear to be two different chips being used (perhaps to balance the spectrum), and the zombie-skin effect is noticeable but not absolutely revolting. There are also three chips (out of 60) burned out. I didn't check the current draw, but that is a claimed 3W/LED, so easy enough to find candidates for replacement. Finally, the acrylic front plate seems to be about 3/16 -- 1/4-inch thick -- I can tell this because it is cracked :(

taqueso posted:

Do any of the lovely lights have a good enclosure? Could make a new PCB with indoor lighting LEDs.

e:

If you know of good sealed enclosures for 1" office lighting strips (rigid PCB, not the flexible long ones), I have a bunch (maybe 30ish, 1 and 2 feet or so) of high CRI strips from my microgreen growing I would send out v cheap for ai goons.

Bridgelux gen 2
e2:
I'd entertained the thought of doing something like that for interior lighting or perhaps exterior "porch" lights using 12V LED Strip Lights with 95 CRI and their matching Aluminum Channel for LED Flex Strip and a tube of silicone to "weatherproof" it.

The trouble I ran into trying to make them work as even a slow-driving fill/flood is fabbing up some kind of lens. The only thing I could think to try would be a linear Fresnel, and once I started cross-shopping all the ingredients I decided it wasn't a project I wanted to take on.

OTOH, if the spacing were right, I'd totally try gluing in some strips to a crappo light bar, but I have real doubts that the power supply from a cheapo bar would be compatible, so then I'd be shelling out for that and still maybe end up with something that doesn't work worth a drat.

I think I'm about to pull the trigger on an 55W H4 HID conversion kit as they have GREATbetter CRI and I can get them in sub 5000K, and they seem to be pretty reasonably priced these days.

emf fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 21, 2021

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Big K of Justice posted:

When I was part of running a big national 4x4 club, the east coast guys didn't get why we west coasters/south west put on so few events..

I have never been on a group 4x4 trip. I only off road solo. So I've always wondered, when you're driving in a group, isn't it just one horrible, insane dust cloud? How does that work? Especially with Jeeps, who seem to make a point about taking off the roof and doors. It does not sound like a fun time, unless you're the lead vehicle.

Solo driving story:
I was on a trail in Indian Wells Valley near the LA aqueduct, one evening right at dusk. I had the minivan windows down, rolling along at 5 mph in the evening air. Suddenly, the van was full of butterflies! Small, orange butterflies, all around, dozens in the van. I stopped and killed the lights and they filtered back out into the night. It was super cool.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

ryanrs posted:

I have never been on a group 4x4 trip. I only off road solo. So I've always wondered, when you're driving in a group, isn't it just one horrible, insane dust cloud? How does that work? Especially with Jeeps, who seem to make a point about taking off the roof and doors. It does not sound like a fun time, unless you're the lead vehicle.

Yes and no. Most places outside of SoCal / US Southwest dont have miles and miles of empty dirt. However there are dirt roads everywhere, which are awful in groups, but the group slows down when you get on the trail. Usually trail riding in groups a lot of waiting while the vehicle up the line gets over whichever specific obstacle. Also in my experience, trails outside of Socal didn't really have dust. They were a mix of hardpacked dirt, mud, grass, gravel, and rock scree. I was more worried about a truck throwing a rock through my windshield or radiator than I was I was about dust.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

No dust? That's amazing!

I was wondering how all these Jeeps around town stayed so clean, heh.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
During dry summers it gets like that in New England on well worn trails. Having an exhaust that aims to the side or up rather than down helps a little, as does going slow but there's no preventing it.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

ryanrs posted:

I can help you here. Here's a trip we did 7 years ago, went with the wayalife new years group and while they were nice during that trip, their forum these days reads of racist antivaxxers as far as I can tell and none of them know poo poo, they all just spend boomer pension $$$ on bolt on <sponsored forum products only> accessories and think they're the premium offroad clan. They are loving cancer to the offroad community out here in the West. Anyway, besides that rant, here is a video of a stretch of the mojave trail with a ton of Jeeps and the level of dust it kicks up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEV7gLSkrmE. Notice how assholes in front don't turn on their lights so at any moment it could cause a pointless crash.

For vehicles with no roof/doors you normally just keep your distance but it doesn't take you but one trip to realize that large groups absolutely suck to be in and would require respirators, possibly hearing protection and it takes a cubic amount of time more to do the trail every time a new car is added, etc. Not to say that's a bad idea, I think that stuff is very ok and possible if you're in for a tough challenge but it's night and day from the "oh i brought my 3 kids and a dog along for this ~adventure~"

You could install mudflaps but that makes the car look less cool but the journey better, so it's a losing battle because the car has to look cool otherwise it doesn't count on youtube and forums.

tuna fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 21, 2021

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

ryanrs posted:

Solo driving story:
I was on a trail in Indian Wells Valley near the LA aqueduct, one evening right at dusk. I had the minivan windows down, rolling along at 5 mph in the evening air. Suddenly, the van was full of butterflies! Small, orange butterflies, all around, dozens in the van. I stopped and killed the lights and they filtered back out into the night. It was super cool.

Group trips are fun and easy with anywhere from two to about six vehicles. For every additional vehicle beyond that square the time required for the group as a whole to negotiate obstacles and the amount of general cat herding required as well. Also if you plan to run around on public (non BLM) land especially on the East Coast smaller is better because sometimes the forest rangers take exception to an elephant train of 4x4s fifteen deep trundling down their roads sans group ride permit (yes that's a thing in PA, not it isn't always enforced, but it can be, ask me how I know).

Some of my all-time favorite wheeling is rolling around the Class IV roads of Vermont with a small group of friends in search of fun, adventure, and really good food.

We're probably discussing where to grab lunch

Abandoned Dorset marble quarry

Road signs for snowmobilers and four wheelers

Lunch stop @ Long Trail Brewing Company, Bridgewater Corners, VT

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Arishtat posted:

Abandoned Dorset marble quarry

That's a real fun place to explore:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Small groups of friends are great large groups are as much fun as sitting in traffic.

Although I did once get yelled at by the group leader of a wrangler group for daring to be on the same public trail as them in my Cherokee. He informed me it was a Jeep Wrangler meet up and us peasant Cherokee drivers we're welcome. He didn't like it when I laughed and just passed the group as they all tried to get their poo poo together.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tuna posted:

I can help you here. Here's a trip we did 7 years ago, went with the wayalife new years group and while they were nice during that trip, their forum these days reads of racist antivaxxers as far as I can tell and none of them know poo poo, they all just spend boomer pension $$$ on bolt on <sponsored forum products only> accessories and think they're the premium offroad clan. They are loving cancer to the offroad community out here in the West. Anyway, besides that rant, here is a video of a stretch of the mojave trail with a ton of Jeeps and the level of dust it kicks up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEV7gLSkrmE. Notice how assholes in front don't turn on their lights so at any moment it could cause a pointless crash.

Video is private.

But yes, dust is A Thing. This isn't even as big a group as normally runs this trail, but you can see more and more dust collect on my hood throughout the run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkGlsgivfcA

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Atticus_1354 posted:

Small groups of friends are great large groups are as much fun as sitting in traffic.

Although I did once get yelled at by the group leader of a wrangler group for daring to be on the same public trail as them in my Cherokee. He informed me it was a Jeep Wrangler meet up and us peasant Cherokee drivers we're welcome. He didn't like it when I laughed and just passed the group as they all tried to get their poo poo together.
You were there by yourself and the Jeep guy just assumed you were tagging along? Lmao

I’ve only done one group ride in Colorado with a local club. It was a noob centered event being led by a guy from Slee Offroad who had lots of good tips and trail idiot stories. On our day out some dumbass kids were bombing down the trail in a Cherokee with an old couch strapped to the top for extra seating. Didn’t see any mangled bodies on the way out so hopefully it worked out.

Anyway, we weren’t kicking up huge clouds but at the end of the day exterior and interior was covered in a thick film of dust and dirt. I just plan to wash my car whenever I come back from a trip. If it’s not dirt and dust then it’s mud.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Steve Jorbs posted:

You were there by yourself and the Jeep guy just assumed you were tagging along? Lmao

Yep. I made the mistake of driving through "their parking lot" and trying to "cut the line." Me and my friend had a good laugh about them trying to unofficially shut down some national forest roads.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ha, gently caress that mentality. About half the time when I'm on any sort of group run we end up picking up people who just happen to be out there and decide that maybe tackling this solo isn't the way they want to go.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Video is private.

Fixed

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It will be a while yet before we get one, but my wife and I are lusting after the new generation of Suzuki Jimny. The local Mazda dealership took over the Suzuki contract from the Holden dealership around the corner about a year ago. On my way home from some errands this morning I spotted the blue one and wandered over to just admire. I love the 80's-style stripes on the beige one. We're planning on buying one in the yellow-green (seen in poster in background) as soon as we can, which requires either we have enough cash to just buy one outright (about $34K AUD) or our permanent visa finally gets approved (processing time: 11 to 14 months, we applied in August) allowing us to arrange financing. Loans are not a thing on a bridging visa.

A pair of Jimnys by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Anyway, just thought I'd share the loveliness with you folks. Australia is overrun with white cars (for reasons I understand but I still find it horribly boring), I'm really happy to see Suzuki - and Mazda, for that matter - keeps colouring their products well.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

It will be a while yet before we get one, but my wife and I are lusting after the new generation of Suzuki Jimny. The local Mazda dealership took over the Suzuki contract from the Holden dealership around the corner about a year ago. On my way home from some errands this morning I spotted the blue one and wandered over to just admire. I love the 80's-style stripes on the beige one. We're planning on buying one in the yellow-green (seen in poster in background) as soon as we can, which requires either we have enough cash to just buy one outright (about $34K AUD) or our permanent visa finally gets approved (processing time: 11 to 14 months, we applied in August) allowing us to arrange financing. Loans are not a thing on a bridging visa.

A pair of Jimnys by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Anyway, just thought I'd share the loveliness with you folks. Australia is overrun with white cars (for reasons I understand but I still find it horribly boring), I'm really happy to see Suzuki - and Mazda, for that matter - keeps colouring their products well.

Those things are stupidly capable off-road too, minor mods like suspension and tyres turn them into a weapon.

I’d have one to replace the better halves tiida if they came in a turbo diesel, but that’s just me being a TD enthusiast!

https://www.arb.com.au/new-range-for-mini-fourby/

They look awesome with barwork and muddies!

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

chrisgt posted:

That's a real fun place to explore:

Heck yeah it is! I’m sorry we didn’t get to meet up but my plans to come to NEFR got scuttled so maybe next year we can form a Toyota based sweep squad? Motronic and his Porsche need some more backup.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Arishtat posted:

Heck yeah it is! I’m sorry we didn’t get to meet up but my plans to come to NEFR got scuttled so maybe next year we can form a Toyota based sweep squad? Motronic and his Porsche need some more backup.

Slow is Fast will probably run his landcruiser in sweep, i'll more than likely be in service welding broke poo poo together.
Definitely come to NEFR and look around, though. it's fun!

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Update on my precious brick. Lift installed, with rear shackle kit on the front and a shackle flip on the rear, with nice soft super duty springs. This is from a test drive near home and the difference on and off road is insane. I just dropped money on new wheels and tires and then it'll be almost "done." The only other new part I want to do is an upgraded steering kit since these old factory ones are pretty limpdicked. After that, just quality of life and maintenance I hope. This is, of course, a lie I tell myself, as one day I would like a new bumper and a winch and a rear tire rack and maybe a turbo and intercooler and

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Took an excursion on the way home from Big Bear on 2N02/Burns Canyon Road. It was not quite as smooth as I remember it being the last time I took it a year or two ago. In fact, there were a few places I had to actually choose a line, and some fairly large rocks to avoid. We found a spot to pull off for a picnic, then got back on the road to 2N01 back towards 38. 2N01 was not difficult, but it was incredibly rocky and therefore slow going.

Anyway, I got all my parts

The Bilstein 6112 don't come with or seem touse a shock boot. Is that weird? I know cool people like to look cool without them, but all of Bilstein's other shocks come with the boot.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

The Bilstein 6112 don't come with or seem touse a shock boot. Is that weird? I know cool people like to look cool without them, but all of Bilstein's other shocks come with the boot.

As I found out when I put Bilsteins on my previous ride, shock boots aren't really a thing anymore. The seal around the shock shaft is good enough that it doesn't need it and the shock shafts are strong enough to take direct hits from rocks and such. However, a shock boot can trap dirt & water against the shock seal and ruin it.

it makes sense, but i was a little disappointed. I thought I was getting shock boots as well :shrug: