Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I noticed during the Pakled battle we got a bit of music that seemed very similar to one of the Trek movies, but I can't place the film. I'm thinking probably WoK or TUC.

Kesper North posted:

It actually sounded like the "Stealing the Enterprise" music from TSFS but it might have been first used in TWOK, not sure.

It's the lower decks theme done in the style of and as an homage to the James Horner theme from Star Trek 3. It written for the Movie Parody Episode in season 1, that's why it's so deliberately familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wykudfjTw1Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Epicurius posted:

It could also be caused by the arranged marriages. Put psychics together, weird stuff can happen. (It was so Enterprise could show a horny T'Pol.

I don't know if that's hypocrisy, so much as it just is lying. And honestly, I don't think Vulcan do lie all the time. We've seen Vulcans lie or bluff, but for the most part, they seem honest.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nitrousoxide posted:

DS9 mentions at least a couple “Vulcan science ships” though I don’t think we ever see them.

I think TNG mentions a few Vulcan only Starfleet vessels as well.

TOS had the Intrepid, a space amoeba got them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It seems like Vulcan runs their own ships, and then also in Starfleet there are majority-single-species ships for cultures that find that more comfortable and there are a few of those that are Vulcan, and then there are Vulcans that choose to serve on the general multispecies ships. I'd guess there's a general scale of relaxedness from vulcan ship crews -> vulcan only starfleet ship crews -> vulcans in the general starfleet population.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Lmao that the joke that people were angry posting about was the background that they rolled the credits over.

Also I don't know what I would have expected but the design of the Vulcan ship was surprising to me

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

pile of brown posted:

Also I don't know what I would have expected but the design of the Vulcan ship was surprising to me

Have you seen the Vulcan ships on Enterprise? They're pretty similar.

The designers on Enterprise took the red hull and curvey look of the ship from First Contact,

and combined it with the ring-shape that we saw in some Vulcan transports in TNG,

and the result was some pretty sexy ships for the ENT to look primitive next to.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 9, 2021

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I haven't seen Enterprise

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Cerritos is meant to be a small-ish starship by TNG-era standards, but it's probably at least as big as Voyager, which was bigger than the refit Enterprise. So the Vulcan ship and the Exsovcior must be massive, as they both completely dwarf it.

The last episode was great, by the way. Just casually tying together three seemingly separate stories, and SURPRISE MOFOS, here's the season arc reveal! I really liked T'Lyn as well, and hope they pay off her joining Starfleet. It's ridiculous how the goofy cartoon is still the best Star Trek thing since DS9.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cerritos is actually pretty big in terms of length, on account of being just a saucer. It's about as long as the Enterprise-C.

Hard to judge if the neoCelsior is big or just in front of it but yeah the Vulcan ship was massive.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I still can’t believe how much this show has won me over. Season 2 has been consistently great, I don’t give a gently caress what anyone says.

I'm just genuinely enjoying watching new Star Trek episodes, with no caveats.

Truly, they are all good things.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I'm just genuinely enjoying watching new Star Trek episodes, with no caveats.

Truly, they are all good things.

But you know what they say about All Good Things...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Cerritos is actually pretty big in terms of length, on account of being just a saucer. It's about as long as the Enterprise-C.

Hard to judge if the neoCelsior is big or just in front of it but yeah the Vulcan ship was massive.

Yeah, but that saucer looks skinny as hell. It looks like it only has 3 decks, plus two small command decks on top. I think in terms of internal volume, the California class are actually some of the smallest starships we've seen.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 9, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Every time I see the 2 deck dip at the back of the saucer, I wonder about it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe the bottom of the saucer has a 2 deck extrusion so they interlock when stacked?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Supposedly part of the reason that the cerritos looks mismatched is to indicate it's an old ship with a major refit or two under the belt, so the black structure may not be part of the original ship.

The dips might do something, there's similar cuts in the bottom of the saucer. Or maybe it's just to add extra windows.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The_Doctor posted:

Haha I commented on that to my partner the other day. Like, what's the advantage of being able to see each other across a courtyard that's in vacuum?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

Supposedly part of the reason that the cerritos looks mismatched is to indicate it's an old ship with a major refit or two under the belt, so the black structure may not be part of the original ship.

The dips might do something, there's similar cuts in the bottom of the saucer. Or maybe it's just to add extra windows.

I think you've got it the wrong way around; The inner black structure's probably the original ship, and they've built out from that around it. So all the bits overlapping in the outer saucer is probably a few extra decks built around the original hull silhouette.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe, but most of the dark grey is a kind of superstructure that's wrapped around the outside of the saucer as if it was added later, so maybe the black in the cuts around the saucer edge is just because they cut in later and put a new hull in the cut.

Apr 23, 2002
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. Wait...

https://youtu.be/lmHun0HpsgA

he's just lyin' about lyin' there!

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm not sure it was established before that Vulcans still have their own centrally organized, regimented space navy independent of Starfleet despite fully being part of the federation. Is it just their equivalent of all those Federation science vessels but controlled centrally because I guess all of internal Vulcan society is some kind of benign autocracy? It's like that in Enterprise, but I kinda thought they'd be more integrated into the rest of the Federation a couple centuries later. Makes me wonder how many smaller pseudo space navies the Federation has buzzing around in parallel to Starfleet.

The shows really gloss over it since they tend to be so centered on Earth, but it seems like the Federation is really a federation -- while there's the overarching Federation government and the cooperatively-run Starfleet, each individual member planet appears to have its own government with a lot of latitude to see to its own affairs as it sees fit, including having their own fleets and defense forces; it's part of why, for example, in DS9 the Federation president has to explicitly give Starfleet permission to take over planetary defense and station armed troops on Earth and why it's such a big deal for them to do so

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/StarTrekOnPPlus/status/1446880781893128192

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

trailer

https://twitter.com/startrekonpplus/status/1446881495545647107?s=21

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Still not huge fan of the uniforms but better than the ones they had last season.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Aw hell yeah, she earned that chair

I guess

maybe?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Vulcan ship design with rings is really striking, but it sort of makes sense deriving from all the negative space of TNG Romulan ships, which have those massive gaps that you can kind of derive a "ring" from. Although Romulan ships were still built around nacelles and the old rules of the nacelles needing line of sight for some reason, so maybe it's weirder that Vulcan ships were built after that rule was discarded and I guess are more alien to the Federation's designs than most ships. Maybe individual nacelles are more adjustable than a whole ring assembly, but Vulcans prefer to control long-term performance rather than subjectively adapting on the fly to situations.

That particular ship breaks even further from typical Trek ship design in that it looks much more traditionally like a spaceship, with a contiguous, pointy body shaped like a rocket.

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah, but that saucer looks skinny as hell. It looks like it only has 3 decks, plus two small command decks on top. I think in terms of internal volume, the California class are actually some of the smallest starships we've seen.

I dunno, I count more than 3-5 decks. Maybe 10-12. I guess it's possible that some could be "crawlspaces" between decks. I guess the map is abstract enough to interpret as just about anything, which is

The map also portrays the saucer as being much more heavily slanted than the external pictures look, but I guess those windows on the top and bottom are supposed to the on the edge of rooms rather than skylights and glass floors.

Standing on a glass floor over space sounds terrifying anyways.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Trailer for non-US people:

https://twitter.com/trekcore/status/1446882523636699142

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I'm glad they're shaking things up with a universe-ending threat this season.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Why did they uglify the Ferengi?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Technowolf posted:

Why did they uglify the Ferengi?

"more wrinkles and ridges = better"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Brawnfire posted:

Aw hell yeah, she earned that chair

I guess

maybe?
Look, it’s Starfleet protocol that if you do enough mutinies and insubordination, you get a captain’s chair.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Thom12255 posted:

Still not huge fan of the uniforms but better than the ones they had last season.

They're still way, way too bright for the environment and set design of the ship. They might work if they brightened it or put in spot color but now they just look almost superimposed in.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Although Romulan ships were still built around nacelles and the old rules of the nacelles needing line of sight for some reason, so maybe it's weirder that Vulcan ships were built after that rule was discarded and I guess are more alien to the Federation's designs than most ships.

Nah, vulcans always used rings, back to the ENT days.

They're called 'annular warp nacelles' instead of the traditional linear warp nacelles.

quote:

I dunno, I count more than 3-5 decks. Maybe 10-12. I guess it's possible that some could be "crawlspaces" between decks. I guess the map is abstract enough to interpret as just about anything, which is

The producers have said to ignore that map (got lots of wrong things like two decks on the saucer rim instead of three), and in recent episodes have featured a different MSD instead (although we haven't gotten a closeup).

But yeah, the rim has three rows of windows, and then there's a few decks in the saucer bulge on both top and bottom, and at least two in the protruding structure on top and one below.

Anyway though they confirmed on twitter it's eleven decks in the saucer altogether so that's the answer.

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016
The ring design is based on one of the concept drawings for the TOS Enterprise. The ring was abandoned and they artists went with twin nacelles. So the Vulcan designs from TNG and ENT used the rings to imply a more advanced design

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I like the design themes of Vulcan ships. They manage to look like something that by all rights should be fragile but isn't - i.e. exactly what a pacifistic science orientated race that nevertheless is under no illusions as to how dangerous space is would build their ships.

e: Discovery S4 is clearly going to be no different to S3. It is what it is.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 9, 2021

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/VaultAusir/status/1446886365141024771?s=20

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Someone needs to tell them that rejected sketches from 40 years ago aren't something to brag about.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

You need to tell all the Star Wars nerds that for every Ralph McQuarrie concept that shows up in Rebels.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah I'm like, cool, WHY. Clearly you decided not to use that design in TNG, now we're accustomed to another design and you're telling us to go gently caress ourselves in the imagination

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Thom12255 posted:

I'm glad they're shaking things up with a universe-ending threat this season.

Lol

I got halfway through the trailer and shut it off. This show is not for me.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The Ferengi Captain might just be really old.

Grand Nagus Zek has a very different look compared to other Ferengis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well there's a shot of the Federation President handing a Federation flag to the President/whatever of Ni'Var (aka Vulcan), so I guess they're coming back?