Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ghostinmyshell posted:

poo poo I wish I knew about this when I fought this turd a while ago.

Boss spoiler: Kraid

https://twitter.com/ArgorokX/status/1446713818608848899

I didn't have bombs at that point, and I only had 2 energy tanks. I probably would have had bombs/3rd energy tank if the game didn't actively discourage you from exploring/backtracking. The active-backtrack preventing is really starting to grate on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
you can only get bombs & a 3rd energy tank at that point if you do a somewhat difficult sequence break involving damage boosting across some gaps

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I'm fighting Drogyga with 4 energy tanks. It's hard to get energy back after taking damage :(

I'm starting to wonder if I don't have enough tanks for this fight.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Jesus christ I just got the Speed Booster and there are some incredibly sicko mode speed puzzles already.

Sure just build a spark in the EMMI zone, carry it over, Ballspark through a barrier to the left, then stop yourself mid drive, something I"m not even sure if you can do, then carry it up to the top of the room and blast to the left to get your missile+ tank. What the actual gently caress Nintendo

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Cooool just realized with the EMMIs you can still break free when it pins you down.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Is there a way to autofire? Not gonna lie, the boss battles are legitimately causing me pain with the constant button mashing.

gently caress this kraid fight in particular. Jesus Christ.

Frankston fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 9, 2021

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Beat the game with a clear time of 8 hours and 3 minutes, but actual playtime was closer to 10 hours, I think.

It's good! I had mixed opinions at first, but once you get a few power-ups the game really comes to life. Boss fights are the game's main highlight and the E.M.M.I.s are the lowlight. There is only one E.M.M.I. encounter that is threatening in the slightest (the one where you have to wade through water without the gravity suit) and it's more of a nuisance than a moment of dread. They don't take up too much space in the actual game, though, so I didn't mind them too much.

Looking forward to what's next for the series! :stoked:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The visuals, backgrounds, and animations are so gorgeous and detailed. I had just finished a second playthrough of Bloodstained before picking this up and Dread is on a whole another level graphics wise.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I got lucky and understood the rhythm on the second go but I loved the Kraid fight.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OhFunny posted:

The visuals, backgrounds, and animations are so gorgeous and detailed. I had just finished a second playthrough of Bloodstained before picking this up and Dread is on a whole another level graphics wise.

It's a tiny point but the only thing letting the visuals down for me is that some of the particle effects look pretty shonky - most of them seem to be just gifs playing at a lower framerate than the rest of the game. Otherwise everything's gorgeous - especially when they bust out the film grain effects.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Game is really good. I just wish it was easier to backtrack now that I have more upgrades. In the 4th area and still only have 2 E Tanks. The boss fights are awesome and it was really satisfying finishing Kraid with not even enough health left for 1 hit.

Fake edit, I just realized I might be able to choose where the teleporter takes me instead of it being automatic...

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I farmed a lot on Kraid phase two since the boss hits so hard. It felt a little goofy, but that fight was still pretty fun.

Re: Drogyga/underwater boss

It didn't ever occur to me that I could try countering. Half the moveset doesn't work underwater anyway, and I don't remember seeing counter indicators. I'll tell you, without counters the fight is a slog.

It took me three or four deaths to even notice the puzzle elements. I was trying to grapple to the ceiling magnet without draining the water, and Drogyga would wake up and slap my poo poo before I made it halfway across the room. I was thinking "What was the point?"

(Then I only half-drained the room, thinking it was supposed to be like the acid worm in Zero Mission. Got confused when the other side of the boss did not have a weak point.)

The fact that one of the projectiles is always invincible, and the invincible one always aims for where you are standing was kinda BS, too.

E: Okay, so the normal tentacle slap doesn't have a counter? I was also not using missiles on the ceiling tentacle. Oh.

So Math fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 9, 2021

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Can I get a hint on where to go next? Pretty early on -

I just got the Phantom Cloak and found my way to Cataris. Can't go anywhere here because of the heat; back on Artaria I have areas to explore on the left side of the map but all my paths there are blocked off, it seems like I need the morph ball. There's also a fiery plant thing blocking my way, do I need to turn off the lava pipe?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Toebone posted:

Can I get a hint on where to go next? Pretty early on -

I just got the Phantom Cloak and found my way to Cataris. Can't go anywhere here because of the heat; back on Artaria I have areas to explore on the left side of the map but all my paths there are blocked off, it seems like I need the morph ball. There's also a fiery plant thing blocking my way, do I need to turn off the lava pipe?

shoot the wall to the left of the elevator at the start of Cataris

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

lih posted:

shoot the wall to the left of the elevator at the start of Cataris

Thanks!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

It's my turn to get stuck.

I got the Spin Boost for double jump, but can't backtrack due to not being able to to double jump in the water without the Gravity Suit.

After reviewing the map I think a see a different path to take that leads to a green teleporter. I'm going to quit and reload and check.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

OhFunny posted:

It's my turn to get stuck.

I got the Spin Boost for double jump, but can't backtrack due to not being able to to double jump in the water without the Gravity Suit.

After reviewing the map I think a see a different path to take that leads to a green teleporter. I'm going to quit and reload and check.

That part is kind of unintuitive and I also thought I was stuck.

The trick is you can't get more height underwater without Gravity BUT you can keep your current height if you jump from somewhere high.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

The trick is you can't get more height underwater without Gravity BUT you can keep your current height if you jump from somewhere high.

Ah huh you fall slower in the water. Thank you.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Shyfted One posted:

Game is really good. I just wish it was easier to backtrack now that I have more upgrades. In the 4th area and still only have 2 E Tanks. The boss fights are awesome and it was really satisfying finishing Kraid with not even enough health left for 1 hit.

Fake edit, I just realized I might be able to choose where the teleporter takes me instead of it being automatic...
I was in the same position, and in that area, managed to pick up a 4th energy tank piece and then a full tank and then I swear I picked up another piece and somehow got a 5th full tank :confused:

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
My biggest complaint is how the map fills out. So much time "painting" tiny squares. But I do appreciate the map noting destructible blocks you've uncovered and how to break them. It's nice to not have to remember why something was a dead end or why I couldn't reach an upgrade yet. It's such a nice QoL enhancement because it keeps me from wanting to find a map online, which would likely spoil a bunch of stuff.

Transition time between map areas sucks and even the animation stutters for me (playing physical version), but there is barely any delay from going in and out of rooms, so if it's a trade off I'll gladly take this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I spend most of my time on PS5 now and going back to loading times was a shock lol

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I did appreciate that they even explicitly put jump indicators in for "a place you should check out to progress the game once you learn to jump better"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I got the first boss . Easy once you time the tail swipe

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I like the idea of the robots, I like the "you found the flamethrower to fight off the Xenomorph" feeling when you take the fight to them. I hate the stealth suit. It isn't clear the path the robot takes around edges, and he can hear you do anything that would cause you to progress on the map. I just started running through the areas where it's designed to be used in and going for a parry when he catches me, which has about a 40% success rate.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I like the idea of the robots, I like the "you found the flamethrower to fight off the Xenomorph" feeling when you take the fight to them. I hate the stealth suit. It isn't clear the path the robot takes around edges, and he can hear you do anything that would cause you to progress on the map. I just started running through the areas where it's designed to be used in and going for a parry when he catches me, which has about a 40% success rate.

Yeah I haven't successfully used it to hide yet. Whenever I've tried to use it the EMMI has just walked straight into me anyway - and I haven't encountered any point at which I need it yet.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You never really need it but it can help. It stops Samus from making any sounds, so you can just turn it on to avoid an EMMI's attention. Also you can move with it, and hiding in an alcove corner with Morph Ball will avoid them running into you since they can't enter those.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I deadass have gotten myself lost in the second area, Cataris

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I did appreciate that they even explicitly put jump indicators in for "a place you should check out to progress the game once you learn to jump better"

When first encountering thouse I thought they were underwater mines

Also, I will never 100% this game, because some of these powerups (especially those including super speed) are so obtuse I don't even know where to start.

Quick powerup question: Is the power bomb the last upgrade you get, or are there even more?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ymgve posted:

Quick powerup question: Is the power bomb the last upgrade you get, or are there even more?

it is the last one

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

There's a fluidity to movement and progress that's so satisfying. This game might trigger a metroidvaniathon for me, like Hollow Knight did.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress this loving (boss) purple bug boss. What is this unfair poo poo???

gently caress!!!!!!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ymgve posted:

When first encountering thouse I thought they were underwater mines

Also, I will never 100% this game, because some of these powerups (especially those including super speed) are so obtuse I don't even know where to start.

There are some that I was really confused on at first glance (especially any setup that ended up involving cross bomb) but all of them are basically down to "prior games rules about shinesparking/ballsparking" plus a couple extra bits

1. Some block setups can chain, where hitting the first block in an "impossible" sequence is set up to just delete all of them

2. Wall jumping while speed boosting retains the boost

3. Sliding while boosting retains the boost even if you're forced into morph ball mode and you can start shinespark storage at the other end of it

Beyond those rules it's usually pretty telegraphed what to do-- all of the "speed up" areas are either comfortably long enough to build speed or very obviously too short. Even some of the obvious-looking ones sometimes require a multi-room setup, the intent is usually obvious once you have power bombs because you'll see speed booster blocks that just open a path from room A to room B for no immediately obvious reason and it turns out to be part of the setup to bring a boost into room C

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I gotta say, after a certain big event (big spoiler)
which is letting the X loose from Elun
the pacing of this game just gets cranked up to no mercy mode. It's almost relentless.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress this loving (boss) purple bug boss. What is this unfair poo poo???

gently caress!!!!!!

Jump and flash step midair to avoid the ball that hits the whole floor with energy. Flash step twice in one direction to dodge the seeker missiles.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I’m about 3 hours in and I feel so happy to be running around in a new Metroid game :unsmith:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if screw attack turns every normal combat attack trivial and makes navigation easy why would Samus not simply pack a spare screw attack if she loses it again

(i just got screw attack and it feels amazing as always)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

2. Wall jumping while speed boosting retains the boost

WHAT!? :aaaaa:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if screw attack turns every normal combat attack trivial and makes navigation easy why would Samus not simply pack a spare screw attack if she loses it again

(i just got screw attack and it feels amazing as always)

what is this privileged poo poo, she can't afford to have a spare screw attack laying around on a bounty hunter's salary, she already has to scrounge for them secondhand picking them off dead chozo

tbh i like to think she's fine for 99% of bounties and then there's just occasional "oops it was chozo bullshit after all" missions that are simultaneously "the only situations where something can make her lose her powers" and "the only situations where there would be any hope of coincidentally finding compatible chozo tech"

at this point I'd probably hit the eject button on any mission the first time I see a chozo statue if it's not already too late

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm gonna say it - there are way too many flying dickheads that launch themselves at you. I know they're easy to parry but they're everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Metroid thread please tell me where to go. I've been going in circles for hours. my wife is going to leave me if I can't find which way to go