Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I have to confess that we bought a big fake vintage "distressed" rug. I felt a little dirty buying it, like buying jeans from abercrombie with the holes already ripped or something. But I do kind of like the look and it does the job. Eventually we want to own a $24,000 hand tied rug but for now this will do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
For whatever it’s worth I have two area rugs from Home Depot with rug pads and I love them for around $100. They are most certainly fake/knock-off patterns but the colors were appropriate and the style matches what my fiancée likes. You don’t have to buy a 5 figure rug, a decent pad for $100 will make whatever you have feel noticeably better.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I kind of dislike oriental rugs. Drop/spill anything on them they'll hide it (which is a bad thing as you'll probably want to clean the thing up).

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Having good relations with your neighbors is a good thing. I got my 2 best friends because they used to sit in their driveway and drink beers and listen to music and strike up conversations. We had a ton of stuff in common and now we've been super close friends for 18 years. Go meet your neighbors.

And yeah even if you don't like them, at least you know who they are. Go talk to them about how they feel about the tree branches. Some people will not care, some people will request you take them down, and some will just ask if they can take them down themselves. It's all a mix but you don't know until you find out.

And being cordial, like just waving and saying hi when you drive past and never having a relationship beyond that is also fine, at least they know you're approachable when something happens. Like one morning I woke up to find a chicken in my back yard. I just let it chicken around doing whatever, and a couple hours later a neighbor knocked on my door and asked if I'd seen a chicken. I said yeah and they very nicely asked if they could enter my yard to get her. I was all "of course" and even helped them corral the thing. Now I have this story about a chicken.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Installed a smart thermostat, hoping to save a few dollars this year but mostly I'm hoping to not hear any complaints about the heat this winter. It'll also be nice to turn it down next time I wake up sweating. I added a remote sensor to achieve both of those goals. If the bedroom gets up to temp in the morning and doesn't get cooked at night I'll be happy.

I was blessed to have a full five wire thermostat cable even though only two were hooked up, just had to connect common and fan myself.

Now I just need to paint behind it. This project should be done in only a month or so.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I bought one.. but since I haven't been back to the office since like the first week it house ownership it hasn't saved me poo poo. Its been used like twice to turn on the AC the night before we return from a trip though.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

tater_salad posted:

I bought one.. but since I haven't been back to the office since like the first week it house ownership it hasn't saved me poo poo. Its been used like twice to turn on the AC the night before we return from a trip though.

That's your fault for needing to get the base level of Maslows heiarchy of needs. Try lowering your level of comfort and save a few dollars!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I bought an ugly green rug from ikea for $12 and the cat seem as content destroying it as she would a 24k one.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Why would you spend 24k on a loving rug?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Same reason people spend that kind of money on watches when a $20 casio tells time just fine

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Same reason people spend that kind of money on watches when a $20 casio tells time just fine

Look at this bougie rear end in a top hat not watching the sun’s progress across the heavens for $FREE

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I mean, it depends on whether or not it really ties the room together

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

I have no idea. I think this price came from a place of "I have no idea what something nicer than the thing I get from Target costs" and wild assumption past that.

Nice rugs are not that expensive unless you need one to fill up your 40x60 ballroom.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Motronic posted:

I have no idea. I think this price came from a place of "I have no idea what something nicer than the thing I get from Target costs" and wild assumption past that.

Nice rugs are not that expensive unless you need one to fill up your 40x60 ballroom.

It came from this post

Queen Victorian posted:

There was a 9 x 12 (or so) Pakistani rug I saw that I reeeally liked at a Nordstrom home goods store that was in the process of being liquidated. The price tag was $24k. Probably could have haggled it down to below 20k but lol we were so house poor at the time and did not have that kind of money to spend on a loving rug but just look at this amazing rug that I still want:

And looking around you definitely can spend that kind of money on a rug about that size.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh also I have to chime in. Everyone should know their neighbors names and have their phone numbers at a minimum.

Yes it's awkward. And you didn't get to choose them. Sometimes you can make friends too, it's OK.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

gwrtheyrn posted:

And looking around you definitely can spend that kind of money on a rug about that size.

Sure you can, if you're shopping at a store specifically targeted at "new money" or "on the cusp of new money" who don't actually know what things cost.

What a load of poo poo.

If you want to spend $24k on a 9x12 rug book a trip to Turkey or Iran and have it commissioned to your specification while you hang out for a week or so, then come home with your rug and $10k leftover. (yes, I know this isn't so realistic right now for multiple reasons, it's a ridiculous but plausible example)

I understand that you CAN spend an infinite amount of money on literally anything, but that usually means you're being taken for a ride.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'd personally get more enjoyment out of putting some complete stranger's kid through college than spending 24k on a rug.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How does the thread feel about paying $4500 for a Herman Miller eames lounge chair

https://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/lounge-seating/eames-lounge-chair-and-ottoman/

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Hadlock posted:

How does the thread feel about paying $4500 for a Herman Miller eames lounge chair

https://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/lounge-seating/eames-lounge-chair-and-ottoman/

Spend like 1/5 of that on another brand.

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/p...617%2C531752618

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Aesthetically nice but Stressless/Ekornes is comfier and cheaper. I did only try the Eames briefly in a Nordstrom's and I have an Ekornes so I might be biased.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well I already have a nice quality $600 knock off from Amazon

I was just mostly curious, if the thread thinks $24k for a rug is too much, is $4500 too much for a chair

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Look at this bougie rear end in a top hat not watching the sun’s progress across the heavens for $FREE

Hey man, what if I just want something to pair with my toyota hilux

disclaimer: i don't own a toyota hilux

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
When my wife's SUV died last year we got the ultra base model Tacoma with no back seats and it was one of the best decisions we ever made, I have never been happier with a vehicle. Don't own the Casio watch tho I think having both does get you on a list.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I was just mostly curious, if the thread thinks $24k for a rug is too much, is $4500 too much for a chair

For me it's a matter of at what point are you just paying for aesthetics and how much use out of a thing I'll get. Chair I sit in all day? Yeah okay I'll pay more for durability. Rug I'll walk over briefly? Eh.

Also you should just make your own rug! (I'm not really suggesting it I just think it's neat) https://tuftinggun.com

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 8, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Source4Leko posted:

When my wife's SUV died last year we got the ultra base model Tacoma with no back seats and it was one of the best decisions we ever made, I have never been happier with a vehicle. Don't own the Casio watch tho I think having both does get you on a list.

I believe you don't go on the list until you also own a belt fed .30 or .50 cal full auto. That would be constructive possession of a technical.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
TBH I kinda doubt that a Pakistani rug from Nordstrom of all places is really worth that much. I do have a couple of tribal Persian rugs that I inherited and are worth some thousands of dollars. They are nice but for me the real value is that they were gifted to my great aunt from a Persian family in her religious community. Then after we passing her son said “I want Therobit’s family to have these for their home if they want them to remember her by,” even though l was absolutely not in the will if there was one and her estate basically consisted of art and these rugs because she had spent so many years as a missionary- like person for her religious group in Denmark that she had no money. I was really close to her but she didn’t have any money to bequeath to anyone and nobody ever had discussions about who gets her stuff because that’s kinda ghoulish and she died pretty quickly.

The missionary thing from ages 55 to 80 was pretty BWM. She balanced it out by spending a lot of the years she had left after moving back to the states by getting first a bachelors degree, then a master’s in Gerontology, and then a master’s in writing before applying for a PhD program in Gerontology. All while sucking that government student loan teat for as long as she was healthy enough to do so.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Motronic posted:

I believe you don't go on the list until you also own a belt fed .30 or .50 cal full auto. That would be constructive possession of a technical.

We call it our baby technical lol.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Oh poo poo am I the bourgeois scum for wanting the nice rug? :ohdear:

When we were there (Nordstrom home goods store being liquidated), most of the poo poo was sold except for the piles and piles of rugs. I found that rug and honest to god thought the price would be high four figures (which at the time, was still completely unaffordable for us, and right now, technically affordable but would be an incredibly unwise purchase), so the 24k was some serious sticker shock. If I was making then what I was making now, I'd definitely have engaged the sales guy to see how desperately he wanted to sell the rug.

Even at this point, I wouldn't want to spend more than mid four figures on a large oriental rug. I know that still sounds like quite a lot, but honestly I'm okay dropping a lot of money on a timeless, durable handmade thing that took months to make and employed women and supported local traditions and cottage industries endangered by competition with cheap mass produced crap. :shrug: If I ever get the chance to travel to the Middle East, I'm totally buying a bunch of rugs.

And speaking of durability, hand-knotted rugs are super durable and will last you 50-100 years. Also the Turkish rug in my parents' foyer has been scratched on by one cat or another pretty much every day for the past 2-3 decades and is still very much intact and undamaged. They can take a lot of abuse, but don't get clumsy with your cigarettes around them (Granny :argh:).

But that all said, I actually really need a big rug under my dining table and chairs to protect the delicate prissy floor. Might just get a super cheap basic thing as a holdover until I can get a nice rug for the space and then Craigslist the cheap one.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Spending a bunch of money on a rug (or real Eames chair) is only BWM if it's out of your budget. If it's not, go hog wild.

Duck and Cover posted:

Also you should just make your own rug! (I'm not really suggested it I just think it's neat) https://tuftinggun.com

And this is an extremely intriguing idea that I had never thought of. The rug I'm considering is tufted and would cost me less than all the supplies needed to DIY it, but I could see this being fun for some smaller pieces maybe.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Motronic posted:

Lol speaking of ways to spend 24k....

Too bad they're illegal here :(

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Motronic posted:

So technically technical possession? :haw:

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Hadlock posted:

I mean, it depends on whether or not it really ties the room together

Underappreciated post.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Hadlock posted:

I would pay $4500 for an Eames lounger because they actually retail for $6500 so its a deal.

But, yes I would actually pay $6500 for one if I was committed to buying one, for a few reasons:

* Even with the nice knockoffs Ekornes/Stressless I've found there's a difference in comfort and feel
* Eames loungers hold their value exceptionally well

With high end MCM furniture it depends a lot on the piece. I own a real Saarinen tulip chair (that I bought used) but a fake Nelson slat bench I got for $75 off Amazon.

Rug update: was offered $800 cash or $2000 in trade. Will go and see what rugs we can trade for!

It's a post-war Indian made knockoff of a Persian rug, but its still hand loomed.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
*glances at thread title*

Speaking of tools . . . I've never owned a "proper" toolbox in my entire life. My first "toolbox" was this abomination of a hollow expanded plastic monstrosity that came with a few socket sets and an empty drawer for whatever else. It was a pain in the rear end to open and half the time the act of opening it caused the sockets to bounce out of their little holder slots. Just an absolute piece of poo poo, although my dad meant well when he got it for me.

Over the years I've acquired other socket sets, wrench sets, assortments of nuts/bolts/screws, etc.

Even though I live in an apartment at the moment, I'm thinking that I want a large rolling toolbox so that I can centralize all my tools and gadgets and stuff (My apartment has an elevator so moving it shouldn't be a terrible ordeal). However, the prices for such things appear to be all over the place. I don't want something that's so cheap (and cheaply made) as to be a poor value, but I also don't feel the need to spend $Snap-On money if there's something available that's 90% as good for half the price.

Basically, I'm interested in what brands and/or places to look for large rolling toolboxes that are a good quality:cost ratio; that is to say, A Good Value.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
We have the Dewalt rolling toolboxes at work and they're ok but take a lot of space to set up, and honestly feel kinda cheap. A friend uses the Milwaukee ones where more flip open containers just stack on top and loves it, I would get one of those if I needed one at home. Snap on stuff is nice but at work I have a Waterloo that I love which was like a third the price of the equivalent Snap On and I dont see a huge difference. I'm in and out of the drawers constantly and they're like brand new even being 6 years old now. I move it between buildings with forklifts every so often too and the wheels and everything are holding up like new still.

I have 2 rolling boxes at home (harbor freight brand and again they're totally fine and have held up well for years) since I have the room but I just load things as needed from them into a smaller soft bag when I need to go work on something away from the garage/ workshop. I have a smaller bag of electrical tools that i keep separate so if I need to do any of that work I don't have to hunt for what I need and put it all back everytime since my wire strippers and everything are needed for carpentry which is most of what I do at home. I also have another separate box of plumbing tools with the right wrench sizes for toilets and all the compression valves I have in my house that I keep separate from everything again just for ease of use because I'm lazy. . If you have the extra tools/ money to buy more I highly recommend setting up separate boxes/ bags that are ready to go with what you need for different kinds of jobs, it saves a lot of time.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Source4Leko posted:

We have the Dewalt rolling toolboxes at work and they're ok but take a lot of space to set up, and honestly feel kinda cheap. A friend uses the Milwaukee ones where more flip open containers just stack on top and loves it, I would get one of those if I needed one at home. Snap on stuff is nice but at work I have a Waterloo that I love which was like a third the price of the equivalent Snap On and I dont see a huge difference. I'm in and out of the drawers constantly and they're like brand new even being 6 years old now. I move it between buildings with forklifts every so often too and the wheels and everything are holding up like new still.

I have 2 rolling boxes at home (harbor freight brand and again they're totally fine and have held up well for years) since I have the room but I just load things as needed from them into a smaller soft bag when I need to go work on something away from the garage/ workshop. I have a smaller bag of electrical tools that i keep separate so if I need to do any of that work I don't have to hunt for what I need and put it all back everytime since my wire strippers and everything are needed for carpentry which is most of what I do at home. I also have another separate box of plumbing tools with the right wrench sizes for toilets and all the compression valves I have in my house that I keep separate from everything again just for ease of use because I'm lazy. . If you have the extra tools/ money to buy more I highly recommend setting up separate boxes/ bags that are ready to go with what you need for different kinds of jobs, it saves a lot of time.

Lots of good info, thanks!

I suspect the DeWalt boxes would cost a lot more than the Harbor Freight brand . . . so it sounds like I won't go wrong going to Harbor Freight in this instance. I'll have to see if there is one anywhere near me now.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Something caught my eye in my new place, so I found yet another thing screwed up. This time by the original builder in 2002. Didn't notice til today!

Left side of the top of that window trim is more than 0.5 inch closer to the crown molding than the right side. 8 inches vs. 8.5 inches.

Also, the blinds placement is completely screwed, left side blind is not even close to centered. (I noticed a while ago around closing, that one's obvious)

Not fixing any of it I guess! I would feel differently if this was some early 1900s hand tool made place, but come on, nothing even close to centered wtf.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 9, 2021

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
For a rolling plastic one they might not be wonderful, the ones I have from Harbor Freight are all stamped steel I realize now I wasn't totally clear about that. If they're made of plastic the quality of plastic and the latches matters a lot. It all depends on how often you're going to use it and how frustrating getting it all to line back up and click together will be. if you're doing it at the start and end of the day its probably not that bad even if its a little tough, if you're going to be moving the toolbox while you're working on a job like once an hour its going to matter a lot more. I really don't like the slide out Dewalt ones we have since its hard to even slide them unless you pack it all back together. They also have a tendency of the drawers rearranging themselves significantly while you move them so you can get it not wanting to slide apart until you slide your hand through a tiny gap and rearrange everything inside like its your kitchen junk drawer. My advice for any homeowner who doesn't use the hand tools or storage they are buying professionally is to check Harbor Freight first.

Source4Leko fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 9, 2021

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Upgrade posted:

I would pay $4500 for an Eames lounger because they actually retail for $6500 so its a deal.

But, yes I would actually pay $6500 for one if I was committed to buying one, for a few reasons:

I mean 6500 retail means nothing because they are always running some sort of sale, and buying anything full price from Herman Miller is for suckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Source4Leko posted:

For a rolling plastic one they might not be wonderful, the ones I have from Harbor Freight are all stamped steel I realize now I wasn't totally clear about that. If they're made of plastic the quality of plastic and the latches matters a lot. It all depends on how often you're going to use it and how frustrating getting it all to line back up and click together will be. if you're doing it at the start and end of the day its probably not that bad even if its a little tough, if you're going to be moving the toolbox while you're working on a job like once an hour its going to matter a lot more. I really don't like the slide out Dewalt ones we have since its hard to even slide them unless you pack it all back together. They also have a tendency of the drawers rearranging themselves significantly while you move them so you can get it not wanting to slide apart until you slide your hand through a tiny gap and rearrange everything inside like its your kitchen junk drawer. My advice for any homeowner who doesn't use the hand tools or storage they are buying professionally is to check Harbor Freight first.

Oh, I assumed you meant a stamped-steel one with the ball-bearing slides that need a small flat screwdriver to undo. I probably assumed that because that's what I was talking about, haha.

My dad was a diesel mechanic (retired now) and so I was wanting something like what he's had both at work and at home for my entire life, but maybe on a bit more of a budget. He WAS a huge Craftsman guy (and maybe still is idk) but I'm not sure how much stock I should put in that brand anymore :(