Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just run quad ETH mining for 120% output

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

how is this supposed to work? best buy corporate is just going to mail this store twice as many cards as the usual allocation because they asked for them by the internal product code? this guy gets to skip the line and get the next ten cards the store gets in instead of the people camping out?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Shear Modulus posted:

how is this supposed to work? best buy corporate is just going to mail this store twice as many cards as the usual allocation because they asked for them by the internal product code? this guy gets to skip the line and get the next ten cards the store gets in instead of the people camping out?

It's probably a way to backdoor yourself into the ship-to-store queue. Would not be surprising at all that the in-store system for ordering ship-to-store is hooked up differently to the backend than the website, and bypasses the various protections against preordering, mass ordering, etc.

I'm not 100% sold that it's legit and would have worked out if you did it, but it wouldn't be unusual.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Thank you! And you mean the actual Best Buy app? Is there any particular reason why that app?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

space marine todd posted:

Thank you! And you mean the actual Best Buy app? Is there any particular reason why that app?

Idk why but the app shows you local store stock but the site on a desktop won’t

3peat
May 6, 2010

Today I left work early to play the new battlefield beta, I downloaded it and when I tried to launch it gave me an error about my gpu driver being too old. Now the driver was over a year old because if there's anything I learned in the years I've had this 1080ti is to never ever ever ever touch the driver if it works reasonably well, and this one does; but I really wanted to play the new battlefield, so with terror in my heart I opened up GFE and I pressed the download new driver button, but when I tried to install it I got a generic "installation can't continue. an error occurred. try again", then I tried again 10 times with the same result.
Then the future flashed before my eyes, namely me trying to upgrade the driver manually, then with safe boot and that program that deletes drivers because amd and nvidia are insanely incompetent, then having to reinstall windows because nothing works and I have no driver and spending the whole weekend reinstalling programs and failing to remember passwords, and so on.
So yea, I uninstalled the new battlefield and now I guess I'll keep this old driver and not play new games until I'll build a new computer and I'll have to reinstall windows anyway

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
that's honestly a pretty terrible strategy. driver optimizations are a huge part of your performance gains and just for security and stability generally, and a DDU run in safe mode takes well under ten minutes. also, it's a very good idea to use a password manager.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
like sorry if that comes across as flippant but if you need to uninstall windows to run DDU there's something going badly wrong. download DDU and the most updated version of the driver, leave them on your desktop, boot into safe mode and run ddu, restart, click the driver package on your desktop. it's legit totally painless which is fortunate because you still need to do it way more often than you should.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is the suggestion here to run DDU just to install a driver update? I thought it was only being recommended if one were changing cards

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Chrome had a built in pass manager. Easie5 to use imho.

But yeah man if you haven't done it in a while updating drivers can cause a lot of anxiety. But in 15 minutes or less you can be playing battlefield. And I did hear it's fun

I honestly don't think you'd need to use DDU. I think if you simply installed using the download from Nvidia's website you'd be fine. But if you want to be sure, it only takes a moment

Download the driver here, from Nvidia, instead of using the Nvidia app.

And the only other thing is download DDU and you're ready.

Then uninstall all of your Nvidia programs from Windows.

Then boot into safe mode.

Run DDU and select the only "RECOMMENDED" option the program has. It will take 10 seconds and then restart once finished.

Now when windows restarts you just install the Nvidia driver you downloaded. That's it!

I hope you try. The whole thing is probably 15 minutes tops

gradenko_2000 posted:

is the suggestion here to run DDU just to install a driver update? I thought it was only being recommended if one were changing cards

yeah really only after poo poo is hosed up. I haven't had to use DDU in quite a while.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

gradenko_2000 posted:

i say do it if you go from any AMD card to any other or any very old card to a modern one, and just to do it to be sure since it's easy and free if you're having any kind of performance weirdness.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
like the microsecond my driver was like "huh don't wanna update" i'm like fine, i don't wanna continue your existence.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean, something is clearly broken and needs to be reset with his setup, so it's not a bad idea.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I only use DDU if I'm switching from a AMD card to Nvidia or vice-versa

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/NS_ALERTS/status/1446491143877898240?t=yvWpIyUdzCkCZusXFJIbFQ&s=19

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

FuturePastNow posted:

I only use DDU if I'm switching from a AMD card to Nvidia or vice-versa

it is the very first thing i recommend if anyone is having any GPU problems at all. and it has fixed stuff for my friends and family who were having weird issues on numerous occasions.

i resisted it at first, much like i resisted doing a clean reinstall when i went intel-> ryzen. in both instances i wish in hindsight i just bit the bullet and did it from the jump, both fixed weird intermittent performance issues that might otherwise go undetected in a "working" system.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Why does someone need to boot into safe mode to run DDU? That seems unnecessary.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

SourKraut posted:

Why does someone need to boot into safe mode to run DDU? That seems unnecessary.

I've seen it suggested for new card installs just in case windows tries to install a driver while you're doing your own thing.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Yeah, safe mode is recommended to minimize any issues that might occur, like Windows auto installing a driver that's not the one you want, which means you then have to install the driver you want and now you have multiple driver versions on your PC again. Kind of defeats the purpose of using DDU to get rid of conflicts from old drivers if you immediately have multiple driver versions on your PC.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Buildzoid gets a dead Gigabyte RTX 3090, and gets it working again.

Interesting videos, I note that Gigabyte refused the warranty service because the card was second-hand. Seen a few other issues with Gigabyte refusing warranty service to original owners, although I'm reserving final judgement on those cases so far. The market is what it is right now but caveat emptor.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

K8.0 posted:

Buildzoid gets a dead Gigabyte RTX 3090, and gets it working again.

Interesting videos, I note that Gigabyte refused the warranty service because the card was second-hand. Seen a few other issues with Gigabyte refusing warranty service to original owners, although I'm reserving final judgement on those cases so far. The market is what it is right now but caveat emptor.

Both Gigabyte and EVGA are using that AOS DrMOS power stage / uPI 9511R or 9512 voltage controller combo in their VRMs, and those are the two brands most associated with the failures it seems. The reference 3090s use a much more overkill MP2888 controller.

The EVGA forum is reporting that the RMA replacements for dead EVGA cards have swapped the uPI controller for an ON Semi NCP81610, which may just be a sourcing thing but definitely seems suspicious. Those first batch 3090 FTW3s had other voltage regulation issues too outside of the current New World deaths issue.

So i guess the options are AOS hosed up the power stage design/spec sheet for those power stages, uPI hosed up the controller design/spec sheet, Nvidia hosed up the reference VRM layouts, or the partners hosed up their downcosting on the voltage controller... or some combination there of.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

If anyone else wants an EVGA 12G-P5-3967-KR GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, I'll send it to a goon at cost. My other in the queue came up.

19 hours before the offer expires. Price is $1,419.99 + $19.57 shipping (Cheapest option with UPS Ground).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Best Buy online drop

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Alan Smithee posted:

Best Buy online drop

I guess I learned my lesson by not always been logged in at Bestbuy.com by default.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

SourKraut posted:

as i understand (and please correct me if i'm wrong) it suggests strongly you do so because safe mode only loads the absolute minimum, including only a basic VGA driver. the driver you're trying to get rid of doesn't get loaded at all, and if there are some fucky parts of your driver install in the registry somewhere they can resist being deleted if they're currently running, so running in safe avoids that.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

EconOutlines posted:

If anyone else wants an EVGA 12G-P5-3967-KR GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, I'll send it to a goon at cost. My other in the queue came up.

19 hours before the offer expires. Price is $1,419.99 + $19.57 shipping (Cheapest option with UPS Ground).

Hey, if this is a real option I'd be interested. Would you want to make an SA Mart thread?
Edit: PM'd you as well

Oryp fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 9, 2021

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I ordered a ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo LHR (SKU: ZT-A30800F-10PLHR) and decided I don't really need it. Before I send it back I figured I'd ask if someone here wants it. I paid $1,385.49 shipped for it. PM if interested and we can figure something out.

If doing this isn't cool, a mod can go ahead and remove this post, just figured I'd give you guys a chance to grab it if wanted.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The nightmare is over, everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CSqn7tW9bw

Key points:
- You can get some cards today, for as low as +50%MSRP
- Intel is going into GPUs
- Ethereum is really going off mining this time, for sure, for sure
- Umm, I guess that's it

It does have this nice graph tho

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

The nightmare is over, everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CSqn7tW9bw

Key points:
- You can get some cards today, for as low as +50%MSRP
- Intel is going into GPUs
- Ethereum is really going off mining this time, for sure, for sure
- Umm, I guess that's it

It does have this nice graph tho

Doesn't this show things are getting worse with rising prices?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yes, it's a very dumb video. I do think the points he brought up are valid in so far that they could help lower GPU pricing, many months from now, but I think it's moronic to act like it's definitely going to happen.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's strange because it feels kind of like an inverse correlation thing? like, intel isn't getting into GPUs so they can reduce the price, intel is getting into GPUs because the price is utterly insane. no manufacturer has any incentive to decrease prices in the abstract - in sane market conditions maybe they're concerned about pricing themselves out of the market but right now you could sell a box full of poo poo for double retail so long as it had enough cuda cores in it.

it's something that came up in the PC building thread recently too - an assumption that once new cards are launched there will be significant negative pressure on the existing stock and the 30 series will become achievable. putting aside my uncertainty that they'll even have the fab allocated to keep making the old cards i feel like this is the same assumption that lead to people selling their 2080tis at firesale when the 3070 was announced, and history has not been kind to that decision.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

"Ethereum is switching to proof of stake next year!" is the new "$year+1 is going to be the year of Linux on the desktop!" so don't get your hopes up.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i'm honestly not even sure it would matter at this point. i think it was paul who observed that miners who want to mine creates this weird perverse incentive demand thing - even if eth went stake overnight people will flock to cryptos which use GPUs because some significant fraction of all crypto users are GPU miners. they want the ability to print money and have enough of a bloc to influence the price :smith:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m using my GPU to mine

iron in the hit Amazon game new world

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CoolCab posted:

it's strange because it feels kind of like an inverse correlation thing? like, intel isn't getting into GPUs so they can reduce the price, intel is getting into GPUs because the price is utterly insane. no manufacturer has any incentive to decrease prices in the abstract - in sane market conditions maybe they're concerned about pricing themselves out of the market but right now you could sell a box full of poo poo for double retail so long as it had enough cuda cores in it.

it's something that came up in the PC building thread recently too - an assumption that once new cards are launched there will be significant negative pressure on the existing stock and the 30 series will become achievable. putting aside my uncertainty that they'll even have the fab allocated to keep making the old cards i feel like this is the same assumption that lead to people selling their 2080tis at firesale when the 3070 was announced, and history has not been kind to that decision.

Intel has been planning an entry into dedicated desktop graphics cards long before the price issues we're seeing came about. This is many years in the making.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Intel has been planning an entry into dedicated desktop graphics cards long before the price issues we're seeing came about. This is many years in the making.

i suspect very strongly that described period is around the previous crypto boom when prices went utterly bonkers and i also suspect as a total layman technically but from a business perspective that gpus being worth their weight in gold for christ well over a year now probably incentivized a hell of a lot of resources allocated and prioritization. they could release a bad or at least buggy product at an inflated price as i suspect most first generations are right now and they'll still sell a ton and start building a userbase.

it is kind of starting to feel like the anomaly was that prices went down. i think the optimistic scenario is that the boom and bust cycle continues and the pessimistic one is that both manufacturers and miners having observed the previous become more savvy in how they handle their GPU purchases and sales. it might be that these conditions are kind of the new normal and if they are intel would be fools not to get in on this.

to borrow a phrase i've heard here years ago which i very much adore, mining has proven to be a gold rush. the important thing to remember about the gold rush was that more or less nobody made money from gold in a gold rush. all the money was in shovels.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

MarcusSA posted:

I’m using my GPU to mine

iron in the hit Amazon game new world

New World has been the first game where I said "my 970 is not enough".

Tack on BF 2042, and I need a new card.

:mad:

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
BF 2042 seems to have a lot of weird stuff going on, possibly some kind of caching that takes a few games to settle. Maybe they're doing shader caching like Warzone without telling you about it during gameplay to keep people from complaining about a progress bar?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

New World has been the first game where I said "my 970 is not enough".

Tack on BF 2042, and I need a new card.

:mad:

BF2042 runs poorly on my 3070, the hardware isn't the problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

kliras posted:

BF 2042 seems to have a lot of weird stuff going on, possibly some kind of caching that takes a few games to settle. Maybe they're doing shader caching like Warzone without telling you about it during gameplay to keep people from complaining about a progress bar?

frontloaded shader compilation is annoying but the alternative, random stalls during gameplay, is much worse