Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol

owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lmao democracy

https://twitter.com/AlKapDC/status/1446839289376120836

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

all gifted and talented is good for is burning out kids with extra bullshit work

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PostNouveau posted:

GT programs allow Karens to whine their kids into special treatment. In some states these programs even take special ed money, allowing them to start every sentence with "as the parent of a special needs child ..."

yea GT programs are loving evil, I was a 'gifted' kid (it meant I was a shy little pre-theater kid queer who read a lot and had a good vocabulary) and it did loving nothing for me but the program drained resources from my school like a leech. It just churns out the new generation of the shittiest people you'll ever deal with.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
my school: wow you read a lot you must be some kinda frickin baby genius.

me, a dork who reads fantasy and sci fi books all day and tests nearly in special-ed levels for math: yea I'm basically an Einstein

can't see a flaw in this system!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I was a gifted kid lol

what more needs to be said about how dumb and useless those programs are

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
'gifted programmes' are always weird to me because there's no such thing in the Scottish school system and every time I hear about them from Americans it's to say that they loving suck

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

yea GT programs are loving evil, I was a 'gifted' kid (it meant I was a shy little pre-theater kid queer who read a lot and had a good vocabulary) and it did loving nothing for me but the program drained resources from my school like a leech. It just churns out the new generation of the shittiest people you'll ever deal with.

It's also just a legal sheen they can put over segregated classrooms. In NYC specifically, Bloomberg eliminated the thing that allowed teachers to just say "Hey this kid is smart, let them in" and replaced it with an "objective" standardized test, and black/latino GT enrollment fell more than 50%.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
at least AP classes in high school can give you some college credits you can use

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Koirhor posted:

at least AP classes in high school can give you some college credits you can use

is that different from gifted and talented, whats even the point then

in my school a small group of people, yours truly included, was in every AP class together and it was a shock to see how the burnouts and jocks behaved in the regular classes. like what do you mean you didnt do your homework? talking back to daddy or mommy teacher? you have a 1.8 gpa???

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Excelzior posted:

when that Beto hits

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mistermojo posted:

is that different from gifted and talented, whats even the point then

in my school a small group of people, yours truly included, was in every AP class together and it was a shock to see how the burnouts and jocks behaved in the regular classes. like what do you mean you didnt do your homework? talking back to daddy or mommy teacher? you have a 1.8 gpa???

well when I was in school AP was G&T for high school because they knew G&T sounds stupid

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Koirhor posted:

There's been talk for years about how those need to be eliminated next , and supposedly my super funded school district started cutting back on offering them almost a decade ago. But back then it was slowing expansion, not ending them, which is on the table now

Basically, it isn't Equitable to have them so they gotta go

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
the only good G&T is a refreshing gin and tonic

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AP classes are at least useful and potentially save you thousands and thousands of dollars in college tuition

the weird elementary school GT programs didn’t do that. hell dump that into band and orchestra, the early Suzuki method violin stuff my elementary had was way more fun and actually useful v

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

AP classes are at least useful and potentially save you thousands and thousands of dollars in college tuition

the weird elementary school GT programs didn’t do that. hell dump that into band and orchestra, the early Suzuki method violin stuff my elementary had was way more fun and actually useful v

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I was gifted and was always smartest in my classes, this just led me to develop a terrible work ethic and become the lazy piece of poo poo I am today

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
AP (and IB) classes are a lot easier to make egalitarian. Just don't put a gate in front of them and let anyone sign up for them.

Terror Sweat posted:

I was gifted and was always smartest in my classes, this just led me to develop a terrible work ethic and become the lazy piece of poo poo I am today

Yeah yeah you and everyone else in this thread we can probably dispense with the obligatory 2 pages of posts of "I was a smart kid and now I'm a worthless acoholic".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

AP (and IB) classes are a lot easier to make egalitarian. Just don't put a gate in front of them and let anyone sign up for them.

I want to say this was technically true at my high school but a guidance counselor always had final say on your schedule so I’m guessing that was the trick.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah yeah you and everyone else in this thread we can probably dispense with the obligatory 2 pages of posts of "I was a smart kid and now I'm a worthless acoholic".

No, I want to talk about my glory days

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

No, I want to talk about my glory days

sorry, reserved for football

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

There's been talk for years about how those need to be eliminated next , and supposedly my super funded school district started cutting back on offering them almost a decade ago. But back then it was slowing expansion, not ending them, which is on the table now

Basically, it isn't Equitable to have them so they gotta go

lol this is going to have the exact opposite impact as they say it will (it will have exactly its intended impact)

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

the truth is that nobody is smart or gifted

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rubellavator posted:

objectively not true, how do you explain getfiscal’s posting?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

I suspect the reason why is mentioned in the second sentence of that tweet.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Rubellavator posted:

meritocracy is a myth, yes :o:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
lmao that meritocracy was originally supposed to condemn the system, but now everyone loves it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fits my needs posted:

lmao that meritocracy was originally supposed to condemn the system, but now everyone loves it

it’s laundering nepotism through credentials and really quite clever

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/TrumpJew2/status/1446555670417969158

https://twitter.com/TrumpJew2/status/1446560206935187459

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SKULL.GIF posted:

lol this is going to have the exact opposite impact as they say it will (it will have exactly its intended impact)

a lot of vocal 'activists' and administrators are completely on board with going full harrison bergeron to close the achievement gap, because they only care about whats measurable within their school and not the rest of it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I assume this is Saturday morning educational program meant for like 4th graders, but it's hard to tell because Kamala talks like that to everyone

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

PostNouveau posted:

I assume this is Saturday morning educational program meant for like 4th graders, but it's hard to tell because Kamala talks like that to everyone

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Listen, I could have been somebody, I could have been a contender...

But more seriously, the dichotomy between the G&T classes and the regular ones were pretty crazy, and it was weird to see when I was bumped up halfway through the year. Same teacher, same year, different classes.

Regular class: "Okay you little shits, I know none of you are paying attention, but Edgar Allen Poe was a guy who existed, and if any of you idiots would bother to read the story, you'd learn that it's about regret and shame..."

Honors/G&T class: "So, what did people think about this chapter of the Odyssey? Yes, Margaret, that is a wonderful observation about the use of language in describing Nausicaä and Penelope. Do you think we're meant to draw a comparison between the two? Yes, Caitlyn, that's right, we should compare both of them to Calypso as well. Why do you think Homer draws parallels between Odysseus' wife and the other women he could stay with instead? Excellent, Rebekah, very well spotted! It is intentional!"

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

MLSM posted:

We live in a deeply sick society

All US presidents would be Slytherins.

Maybe Carter can be a Hufflepuff

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Good.

(Good about eliminating them, not libs being mad, although that’s also good)

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

she's probably more excited about this than being shipped off to the Mexican border by Joe to "keep an eye on things"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

what the gently caress???

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I didn't remember Gifted and Talented being the worst but it wasn't that engaging either, just introduced too many topics without much a throughline, so I didn't absorb much. Most of my actual education came from independent reading I did instead of focusing on class anyway.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

it's funny to imagine Kamala accepting the VP job and thinking she was going to be like Dick Cheney when Joe actually wanted her to be Dan Quayle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

PostNouveau posted:

IB classes are such a scam lol, colleges rarely accept them as credits