Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

lol:

People who paid close attention to the 2016 presidential campaign probably remember the most-watched Democratic campaign commercial from the cycle, Hillary Clinton’s “Mirrors” ad, which featured images of young women gazing at themselves in mirrors intercut with footage of Donald Trump making disparaging comments about women. It was powerful stuff — at least among the young liberals on Clinton’s staff.

The “Mirrors” ad featured prominently in a series of experiments that Shor did with Civis to evaluate the effect of various Democratic campaign commercials on voters’ decisions. The findings of the experiments were not encouraging. For one, they found that a full 20 percent of the ads — including “Mirrors” — made viewers more likely to vote for Republicans than people who hadn’t seen the same ads. And after his team started polling members of Civis’s staff, they made an even more troubling discovery. On average, the more that the Civis staff liked an ad, the worse it did with the general public.

trained wrong on purpose, as a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
2nding rask's assessment of IB

i only started it because the sales pitch included that the state would pay for your college tuition if you got your IB diploma in FL. my mom never picked up on this fact when we moved to NC and i told her "i was only doing the pre-IB, not actual IB, stuff due to the carrot of free college... in florida".

im weirdly defensive about it because of my 11th grade american history class; it taught me how to write papers and our textbook was zinn's a people's history of the united states.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I was just in a black barbershop and the blacks were all like yo dawg this warren be spitting my droogs

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Koirhor posted:

this country will continue to tear itself apart and it will be what it deserves

It is what it deserves, but unfortunately my friends and family are gonna get caught up in this poo poo and they don't deserve that

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/wilderpatriot/status/1446560636478099489?s=20

it is easy to forget in the succ zone that chuds are unfathomably stupid

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

“If you’ve spent time in a Black barbershop or a hair salon, you can understand some of the complexity and potential contradictions around different Black folks’ view,” said Phillips.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

why do warren staffers think black people pin bluray cases to the wall?

also, their collection inexplicably includes the James Corden, Peter Rabbit movie

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PostNouveau posted:

It's also just a legal sheen they can put over segregated classrooms. In NYC specifically, Bloomberg eliminated the thing that allowed teachers to just say "Hey this kid is smart, let them in" and replaced it with an "objective" standardized test, and black/latino GT enrollment fell more than 50%.

yea I remember one of my first tangible lessons in 'oh right America is still very actively racism driven' was wondering aloud why my friend who was from Nigeria wasn't in the GT course when we got about the same grades he was also a well read little nerdlinger like me and he was just like 'come on man you know why' and that was a fun little 'oh right that thing where this country loving sucks for anyone not in power' moment for my young brain.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Regarde Aduck posted:

is everyone in cspam like this?

Probably. Seems like a ton of us got told we were super smart and then hit the world to learn "lol it don't fukin matter"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Nichael posted:

why do warren staffers think black people pin bluray cases to the wall?

also, their collection inexplicably includes the James Corden, Peter Rabbit movie

all barbershops have carpeted floors that's completely normal

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea finding out 'lol I was in GT, it did nothing but give me an eternal inferiority complex and anxiety and was terrible for my school proper' is a common CSPAM experience is 100% the least surprising reveal possible, GT programs were made to churn out kids told they're naturally smart because they can do tests well who quickly realize that in no way actually measures intelligence and hey maybe this whole dumbass system is a loving scam.

The ones who think GT is a meritocracy are D&D posters, obvs.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Willa Rogers posted:

lol:

People who paid close attention to the 2016 presidential campaign probably remember the most-watched Democratic campaign commercial from the cycle, Hillary Clinton’s “Mirrors” ad, which featured images of young women gazing at themselves in mirrors intercut with footage of Donald Trump making disparaging comments about women. It was powerful stuff — at least among the young liberals on Clinton’s staff.

The “Mirrors” ad featured prominently in a series of experiments that Shor did with Civis to evaluate the effect of various Democratic campaign commercials on voters’ decisions. The findings of the experiments were not encouraging. For one, they found that a full 20 percent of the ads — including “Mirrors” — made viewers more likely to vote for Republicans than people who hadn’t seen the same ads. And after his team started polling members of Civis’s staff, they made an even more troubling discovery. On average, the more that the Civis staff liked an ad, the worse it did with the general public.

I have nothing to add, I just think thisd is hilarious

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Willa Rogers posted:

lol:

this rules.

Lib brain really is the opposite of normal human existence.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Phone posted:

2nding rask's assessment of IB

i only started it because the sales pitch included that the state would pay for your college tuition if you got your IB diploma in FL. my mom never picked up on this fact when we moved to NC and i told her "i was only doing the pre-IB, not actual IB, stuff due to the carrot of free college... in florida".

im weirdly defensive about it because of my 11th grade american history class; it taught me how to write papers and our textbook was zinn's a people's history of the united states.

huh maybe 11th grade IB history is where all the marxists get shoved. mine straight up used killing hope as a basis for most of his lectures

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

it's the carpet and rug that always get me

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
thats the satanic airbnb guy right?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Nonsense posted:

Joe Biden is now the least popular president ever

:sad:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

lol:

incredible work team

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Has there been any word from Democratic leadership on plans to start laying the groundwork for 2022? Now that they see the train coming hopefully they can take action to at least try to prevent the disaster. At the very least they should have enough money to try whatever they want. ActBlue is a monster. We completely destroy Republicans in small donations. Democrats made $90 million in the just the weekend after RBG's death. So we've given them the means to shoot their shot, maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't.

lol

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

silicone thrills posted:

Probably. Seems like a ton of us got told we were super smart and then hit the world to learn "lol it don't fukin matter"

we learned that money matters more than anything so you gotta leverage your ideal and that requires compromise

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
AP ends up being kinda pointless when you can just straight up take college credit classes in high school like I did with English and it was simultaneously less pointlessly rigorous than my AP classes and also more educational.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

Has there been any word from Democratic leadership on plans to start laying the groundwork for 2022? Now that they see the train coming hopefully they can take action to at least try to prevent the disaster. At the very least they should have enough money to try whatever they want. ActBlue is a monster. We completely destroy Republicans in small donations. Democrats made $90 million in the just the weekend after RBG's death. So we've given them the means to shoot their shot, maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't.

lol

"lay the groundwork"? the election is in 13 months, and it's much less time to respective primaries. it's almost as if they don't care about winning as long as they fundraise???

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

IB classes are such a scam lol, colleges rarely accept them as credits

i thought that the only real benefit of ib courses was that they transferred internationally, so if you have to move to the us for a couple of years for work and then go back to wherever all of the classes your kids took still count. the one school with an ib program in the area is also the one typically attended by the children of consul generals for this reason

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I'm reading a politico story on unemployment comp & today I learned that under obama enhanced u/e comp was +$25/week & under trump it was +600/week.

and that's when dems had a solid senate majority, not like last year when they only held the house.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Probably Magic posted:

AP ends up being kinda pointless when you can just straight up take college credit classes in high school like I did with English and it was simultaneously less pointlessly rigorous than my AP classes and also more educational.

AP test is cheaper. Even if you're taking community college courses, AP tests cost like $50 or something

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm reading a politico story on unemployment comp & today I learned that under obama enhanced u/e comp was +$25/week & under trump it was +600/week.

and that's when dems had a solid senate majority, not like last year when they only held the house.

Excuse me, politico? That's a republican rag please direct your attention to the media literacy thread.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Nichael posted:

"lay the groundwork"? the election is in 13 months, and it's much less time to respective primaries. it's almost as if they don't care about winning as long as they fundraise???

please like, share, and donate :)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

AP test is cheaper. Even if you're taking community college courses, AP tests cost like $50 or something

i don't recall having to pay for the ap tests i took, but that was a long time ago

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Probably Magic posted:

I asked to do this but apparently Memphis was very against this. No running start style programs or anything.

That's the biggest fuckin poo poo about education. It entirely depends what zip code you were in to what is available to you. My principal literally told me that if I even paid for college classes on my own, she wouldn't honor them as credits. Jokes on you, dickhead. I moved across the country all alone and ended up having to finish high school by taking free community college classes instead since your dipshit school district never took the abuse seriously that I and my siblings reported constantly. They seemed so taken aback when I withdrew myself from school after my dad had a psychotic break and threated to kill us all.

mandatory reporters my rear end.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Oct 9, 2021

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
I feel like this goes here lol

https://twitter.com/Itmechr3/status/1446590422931984384

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I was in IB for like three months. I dropped out because it was unbearable, and eventually graduated high school from a Catholic cult school. I am not sure what I learned in either place, but the cult was funnier and the students and faculty had more personality despite being far right insane people.

The principal of the Catholic school (which wasn't actually a Catholic school because it was too hosed up for the Church to approve) would routinely cut days short and declare that the entire high school class was going out for ice cream instead. He was a misogynist Republican, but he inexplicably had pretty left views on criminal justice.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Joe just keeps evading the cops somehow!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/09/us/us-marshals-sex-offender-operation-dunder-mifflin/index.html

quote:

US Marshals and Scranton police nab 9 sex offenders in 'Operation Dunder Mifflin'

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

I asked to do this but apparently Memphis was very against this. No running start style programs or anything.

That's the biggest fuckin poo poo about education. It entirely depends what zip code you were in to what is available to you. My principal literally told me that if I even paid for college classes on my own, she wouldn't honor them as credits. Jokes on you, dickhead. I moved across the country all alone and ended up having to finish high school by taking free community college classes instead since your dipshit school district never took the abuse I and my siblings reported constantly. They seemed so taken aback when I withdrew myself from school after my dad had a psychotic break and threated to kill us all.

mandatory reporters my rear end.

Yeah, the real problem I encountered with schools is the mass, mass differences in how districts deal with student trauma, and how important that was, way more than this Gifted-Talented discourse now. Going to elementary school in the nineties during the peak of Self Esteem Culture was just such a trip because educators could not get it through their heads that a kid could be smart and emotionally troubled at the same time. It just became this frantic effort to get me on some type of medication so they could rectify the difference and get back to getting my test scores without dealing with my fights with other kids because they couldn't understand why a kid who'd been molested might have difficulty relating to his peers. It was just such a trip to be treated like "a problem kid" in that setting and then in high school have to drop out of classes because of my mental issues hospitalizing me and yet the administration just being, "Yeah, let Probably Magic be in Beta Club, who gives a poo poo, he's a good kid." Like, to tie it back to G/T convo, this is why there's kids who just aren't interested in learning, is they just get pegged early on as "nonstarters" and they're still gonna be treated like that G/T classes or no as long as test culture and the like permeates schools, so they internalize that and give up. It's all about separating the future prison-industrial complex or exploited worker demographic from the ones with "potential." I hate our education system so much.

Probably Magic has issued a correction as of 18:41 on Oct 9, 2021

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Nichael posted:

I was in IB for like three months. I dropped out because it was unbearable, and eventually graduated high school from a Catholic cult school. I am not sure what I learned in either place, but the cult was funnier and the students and faculty had more personality despite being far right insane people.

The principal of the Catholic school (which wasn't actually a Catholic school because it was too hosed up for the Church to approve) would routinely cut days short and declare that the entire high school class was going out for ice cream instead. He was a misogynist Republican, but he inexplicably had pretty left views on criminal justice.

Lol, I can second that I had way more fun for the most part in my weird rinky-dink Christian middle school that did dumb poo poo like invite Ken Ham to speak than I did for the most part in the public elementary school before.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Probably Magic posted:

there's some controversy at the local schools because the ap classes have weighted grades, while the actual college courses don't. there are people with perfect grades getting associate degrees as they finish high school, but they are technically ranked below the kids who take as many grade inflated high school honors/ap classes as possible, so the kids getting actual degrees can't be valedictorians. it's all bullshit, but some helicopter parents get really mad about it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Willa Rogers posted:

I had completely forgotten about that, that's incredible. The first year I got unemployment I didn't really understand how it worked and stupidly filed right after my first contract job ended, which meant I got about $30/week of UI since I hadn't Paid Into the system yet. And then the Obama bonus was $25 on top of that if I was even eligible , lol. Under Trump I would have crushed it

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

:lol: McAuliffe's canvassers just skipped my house so they could knock on my BP middle manager neighbor's door instead

Didn't even leave any leaflets on my doorstep

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Raskolnikov38 posted:

huh maybe 11th grade IB history is where all the marxists get shoved. mine straight up used killing hope as a basis for most of his lectures

that owns

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lmfao this guy is still doing his "ice must be destroyed" gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
In my high school, AP classes got you actual college credit and all of the people in IB classes were loving freaks.