Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
How pissed off are the AGS engineers right now that some dumb community manager ran their mouth and now their team looks like poo poo and is going to get absolutely raked. Prime example of why when you don’t know the answer, you are better off saying so or at the very least shutting up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

causticBeet posted:

Prime example

nice.

Also, I can't believe this is unironically the most functional game amazon game studios has managed to ever release

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think they deleted the server transfer thread, it's not longer pinned on the official forums and I can't find it going back a few pages lol

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I still show it pinned to the top of the general forum: https://forums.newworld.com/t/megathread-server-transfer-questions-megathread/354334/2

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm in a similar boat at 30, but I was able to whittle down a lot of it by just going on a crafting spree making poo poo I don't need or care about. The poo poo that's filling my storage now is the refining ingredients. I have thousands of them. I suspect this is going to be one of those situations where I go from riches to rags on that stuff once I start making the higher level poo poo, but at the moment, I'm buried under them.

Have you not actually refined much of anything? Flux, tannin and weave are always bone dry if you actually do any refining, I've used all mine up and I go out of my way to open the chests that contain the materials, only my weaponsmithing and engineering are 100. Solvent and Sandpaper are a lot less necessary, even converting those with the stuff you get from tokens isn't enough.

About the othet post, cooking requires a large disparity of items, except for the tiers of rations which you can craft with mostly anything. The bottlenecks are all poo poo that's very hard to come by like salt, sugar and the various spices that are regionally based from herb nodes and you only get 1 every 3 nodes or so.

All the actually good cooking items come from recipes, too, +30 stat food or +2000 luck food, etc. It's easy to level up just making the better and better rations but after 100 or so the only recipes you learn by default are for various dyes.

Darwin_
Oct 4, 2021

Is this MMO perfect? No.
Is this MMO dead? No.
Is this MMO ever going to die? Probably.
Does AGS know what they are doing? Probably not.
Is it fun? Yes.
Should I play it? Yes.
How does it compare to the MMOs released in the past 10 years? Yes.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Darwin_ posted:

Is this MMO perfect? No.
Is this MMO dead? No.
Is this MMO ever going to die? Probably.
Does AGS know what they are doing? Probably not.
Is it fun? Yes.
Should I play it? Yes.
How does it compare to the MMOs released in the past 10 years? Yes.

:hmmyes:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Google Butt posted:

i refunded this game and it felt great

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

causticBeet posted:

How pissed off are the AGS engineers right now that some dumb community manager ran their mouth and now their team looks like poo poo and is going to get absolutely raked. Prime example of why when you don’t know the answer, you are better off saying so or at the very least shutting up.

Well the answer in the FAQ that it was not technically possible to transfer regions was pretty dumb to begin with so they should get roasted for that. Something like, “the way we currently have our data centers architected means that we can’t immediately support cross-regions transfers and will roll-out inter-region transfer first. We are investigating a solution for cross-region transfers but have no ETA at this time.” Would have been a much better answer.

Unless they are even more incompetent than we assume, there should be no reason that they couldn’t come up with a service to support cross-region. Yes, it means they would need to come up with a process export the character data from the data center, a format to store it in, and a way to import that stored data to another region.

Does that require extra work? Absolutely. Is it technically not possible? I loving doubt it. At the end of the day it’s just data. Now, some of that data is probably stored in different services and some of them aren’t directly associated with the character as the primary so it is probably a pain in the rear end. I’m guessing storage and maybe housing is more complex because it isn’t neatly associated with just the character.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Reporting in from the wilderness:
I’m not playing with goons, I’m playing with Marauder randos, and having a wild time. Level 38 right now. I got made an officer in a clan run by a crazy poopsocker that’s already 54, seemingly by virtue of my ability to put markers on the map when running corruption farming groups.

Maining the heal staff has been an interesting experience. I found out about amber gems letting you turn physical weapons into focus-scaled damage, which has been nice. Now I just have to level constitution and focus!

I might try and quickly level the fire staff for sake of the DOTs in pvp - I’ve been in 2 wars so far, one loss one win, and it’s pretty fun. Being able to nuke the point and clear it seems really important.

Locking wars (just 50 people), invasions (at level 50), and the outposts thing (level 60…..) behind numbers seems like a silly choice but I sort of get it - it just makes me as a player want to level up ASAP instead of engaging with the game. That way I can do the engaging pvp and pve content!
Efficient leveling seems to be a process of: killing the hogs at the hog camp, killing corruptions with a whole mess of people, and doing easy town board missions.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
how do i sheath my weapons like when i spawn into the world, they're both on my back and I look cool and hip.

as soon as I M1 my guy draws his spear forever and looks like king doofus running around ready to poke everyones eyes out as he picks daisies

Kaiser Cortez
Sep 3, 2007

"Pavel, you wear the 'A' on your jersey. What does that mean to you?"
"A lot. So much that I put an 'A' on all my clothes. I wear an 'A' everywhere."

Philthy posted:

how do i sheath my weapons like when i spawn into the world, they're both on my back and I look cool and hip.

as soon as I M1 my guy draws his spear forever and looks like king doofus running around ready to poke everyones eyes out as he picks daisies

Hit X

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Philthy posted:

It's the first key the tutorial tells you! Press X to sheath/unsheath. I also do it because I look cooler when walking around not hunting anything.

Am I right to think that all the first zones 1-25 have the same quests structure on the sidequests front and I shouldn't bother doing each zone and level up with board/Faction/gathering? At least on those first 1-2 settlements in that zone that each one must gate you through via the early main quests?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Lawlicaust posted:

Does that require extra work? Absolutely. Is it technically not possible? I loving doubt it. At the end of the day it’s just data. Now, some of that data is probably stored in different services and some of them aren’t directly associated with the character as the primary so it is probably a pain in the rear end. I’m guessing storage and maybe housing is more complex because it isn’t neatly associated with just the character.

My guess is that there is actually only ONE DB per region - and the current 'transfer' basically changes the server the character belongs to in the same database - no data is actually 'moved'.

Going cross region would mean actually moving to a different dataserver - meaning you know the whole hassle of running a select statement in one DB and an insert in another DB.

So I can see the significant increase in complexity from "update server_assignment set server="Blah" where char_name = "Goon"; to - ok - get all the data for the char out of the DB, and actually 'move it' to a whole other DB being a pain in the rear end.

I ain't defending them - at this point it doesn't matter how hard it is - they should do it - just because there is no way the level of effort that is required is worth the reputational damage they are suffering as a result of not doing it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Hemish posted:

It's the first key the tutorial tells you! Press X to sheath/unsheath. I also do it because I look cooler when walking around not hunting anything.

It's funny, I even went into keybindings at least 4 times now and looked, and it's right loving there.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

wolfs posted:

I might try and quickly level the fire staff for sake of the DOTs in pvp - I’ve been in 2 wars so far, one loss one win, and it’s pretty fun. Being able to nuke the point and clear it seems really important.

I have been using fire staff/great axe in most group pvp scenarios and it absolutely slays. INT/CON build, so the great axe is mostly there for utility, but I slap an INT scaling gem into it which gives it a bit of punch.

Having 2x burst mobility skills with fire staffs burn out and great axe charge makes you incredibly mobile. With light armor, dodge canceling, and those two skills I can outrun just about any other weapon.

Great axe reap/grav well + being super mobile means you are really good at either a chasing ganking role, or flanking and disrupting big groups of backliners (for the love of god people stop nuking their tanks and start pushing through them to get on their tanks)

Grav well is also incredible setup for pillar/meteor.

The only real downside is wearing light armor, which feels like a huge disadvantage in any 1v1 or 1v2 scenarios. Especially now that more people are figuring out how OP heals are - if someone is dps with a healing off hand they’re just flat out not worth fighting unless you outnumber them.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Philthy posted:

It's funny, I even went into keybindings at least 4 times now and looked, and it's right loving there.

While in keybindings, go ahead and set a hotkey to swap weapons. For some unknown reason, the animation cycle for changing weapons hitting either 1 or 2 is slower than when using the swap weapon key.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Babe Magnet posted:

lmfao okay the this community manager kind of owns

They changed this answer lol

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So I'm doing town quests and this is bugging me. How do I upgrade it. I've got 35 more points than needed somehow.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Philthy posted:

So I'm doing town quests and this is bugging me. How do I upgrade it. I've got 35 more points than needed somehow.

That’s the governor’s responsibility. Heed no mind and continue raking in that XP.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

This game is surprisingly fun and I'm mad about it, I don't need another MMO in my life

The bog standard bear-rear end-collecting quests is mitigated by the actual gameplay feeling good. I'm usually not big into PvP so we'll see how long the game holds my interest but if they add more end-game PvE content that'll be cool.

If it had a subscription fee I would drop it immediately after the free month, doesn't feel worth paying for beyond the box price, but since it's B2P, I'm pretty content.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Fishing is fun maybe I'll just fish and skip everything else

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I spend about half my playtime fishing. It rules.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is honestly the best advice.

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!
They also did not consider how faction swapping works in this decision. I am currently purple on a server where they have no territory and it's 90% yellow. That means what I can do is either find a server where Purple or Green is dominate and switch on my server then transfer over in order to bypass the "can't switch to the most powerful faction" restrictions.

This combined with the fact a majority of people in weak factions will transfer off, will mean that the servers are going to become even more single faction dominate.

Also there are newer servers in my region I can transfer over to as like a 60 and immediately wreck the locals.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

No one else wants to do it, either, at least on my server so fish oil sells for like 30g each.

Darwin_
Oct 4, 2021

I am loving my new Paladin build, I hope the pope chooses me for today's war against heretics and I can help bring light to brightwood in the name of Spark.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Lawlicaust posted:

Unless they are even more incompetent than we assume, there should be no reason that they couldn’t come up with a service to support cross-region. Yes, it means they would need to come up with a process export the character data from the data center, a format to store it in, and a way to import that stored data to another region.

this same criticism could be made about wow, but after 17 years they too claim cross-region transfer is impossible

amazon probably made a questionable decision hard separating NA East and West into two distinct regions though I guess

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

What is the max rank you can get for town standing, like does it go high enough to get every selected bonus?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

If anyone else is like me and has old people reflexes, I finally found a weapon combo that works for me.

Sword & Shield/Musket. Open with musket then stab-stab-block-stab-stab-block. Repeat.

Not sure how effective this will be long term and for group content but overland PVE works just fine.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

what's the over/under on the longevity of this game compared to how long it takes the average amazon warehouse worker to get fired on the spot after passing out from heatstroke on the job

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Ad by Khad posted:

this same criticism could be made about wow, but after 17 years they too claim cross-region transfer is impossible

amazon probably made a questionable decision hard separating NA East and West into two distinct regions though I guess

I know people who have contacted customer service when they've moved countries and gotten EU to US transfers in WoW. It's just not an off the shelf service.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 9, 2021

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Hemish posted:

Also you have no unit colission with sheathed weapons, which sometimes comes in handy in town, especially around crafting stations/quest givers/auction house.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hulk Smash! posted:

If anyone else is like me and has old people reflexes, I finally found a weapon combo that works for me.

Sword & Shield/Musket. Open with musket then stab-stab-block-stab-stab-block. Repeat.

Not sure how effective this will be long term and for group content but overland PVE works just fine.

This is what Im currently doing too.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Bought a house in a village with high property taxes and now I feel like a wage slave. This truly is an Amazon MMO.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Hemish posted:

I'm having a lot of fun trolling corruption groups by standing just in front of the veil with an unsheathed weapon and blocking all the people who don't know that unsheathed weapons have player collision

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Made it to level 34 last night after spending most of the day grinding Everfall rep up so I could buy the big house there. Dunno if it was worth it but I'm satisfied.

Really wanna try out the second dungeon but no one was biting at all this morning for groups..RIP!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kill All Cops posted:

I'm having a lot of fun trolling corruption groups by standing just in front of the veil with an unsheathed weapon and blocking all the people who don't know that unsheathed weapons have player collision

Me too. It's a terrible implementation like most things in this game but goddamn I'm having a good time trolling like this.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The Gadfly posted:

No, copying data from one database to another is literally impossible.

What are you implying, that amazon is incompetent or something?

I think the CMs should be forced to get the associate AWS certs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

The Gadfly posted:

No, copying data from one database to another is literally impossible.

What are you implying, that amazon is incompetent or something?

I bet they did some real dumb poo poo with how they have various elements of character data stored and “technically not possible” means: 1) they’d have to transfer a bunch of different sets of data across databases for each character; 2) then modify keys on the data being transferred, the tables, or both; 3) build new services to do all of the above because each region and database are probably implemented completely separately and they have maintenance everything separately; 4) they have no way to import new data to a database while servers are live without breaking something; 5) they are shocked poo poo even runs and some code making things runs was probably developed by people who are no longer there and they are afraid to break it; 6) they have an idea of how they could do it but the amount of Dev time to do it makes some engineering managers very unhappy; 7) after the last month of crunch to get this out, the architects and seniors are on vacation for two more weeks so they aren’t even staffed to do it.

Etc.

It’s probably a spaghetti code shitshow after all the things they have ripped out and shoved into the game in the last year.