Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Bape Culture posted:

I wish I had never opened my yamazaki Sherry cask

I especially wish my wife hadn’t used it in a chilli when she was out of sherry

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Was the chili good?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I tried Larceny and it's pretty decent. But honestly I found makers really hits the wheater spot. It's consistent, widely available, reasonably priced. It's just not very exciting but I guess that's ok.

Also rejoice! WT101 suddenly appeared on the shelf near me. Makes a mean old fashioned. They also had old overholt which I actually really like for old fashioneds. Just wish they had the BiB version.

E: also realized after purchasing it's a HH product and I feel scabby.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I like normal Makers alright, but the Private Select is an all-time favorite.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I find normal Makers to be gross but haven't tried any of their nicer stuff.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I had the Maker’s Cask Strength a while back, it was okay. I think I actually prefer Maker’s 46.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Speaking of Maker’s, I watched this yesterday. Check out how salty the distiller gets when the host insinuates that the whiskey’s character comes from the cask at around 4 minutes in.

https://youtu.be/mqZS-hEPE6k

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Buuuuutttt... they sell bottlings with the actual cask construction listed on the label. Their "Private Selection" bottlings call out the types of staves in the finishing barrel.

So, yeah, I'm gonna say they are actually marketing on the idea that the flavor comes from the wood.

https://www.makersmark.com/makers-mark-private-selection

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 9, 2021

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

KWC posted:

Woodinville Port Finish is really nice.
Spends 6 months in port casks.

:doh: I was meaning to pick this up at some point but forgot it was a thing. They're local, so it shouldn't be hard to find

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

sean10mm posted:

I find normal Makers to be gross but haven't tried any of their nicer stuff.

I’m somewhat the same, but I will say Maker’s Mark is good with an RC cola. Not Coke, Pepsi, or even Kroger “Big K” brand. It is decent with a Faygo cola, but you have to use more cola than with an RC and that kinda defeats the point :boobeer:

Helped the male members of my family plow through a bottle of Lagavulin 12 after my niece’s wedding six hours ago along with a well-constructed Cuban cigar. She’s the only female child in a large Catholic family and it was great to get together even though I’m officially the shortest man in the group since the twins hit 6’ somewhere in Covid-time.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 10, 2021

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

DerekSmartymans posted:

Helped the male members of my family plow through a bottle of Lagavulin 12 after my niece’s wedding six hours ago along with a well-constructed Cuban cigar. She’s the only female child in a large Catholic family and it was great to get together even though I’m officially the shortest man in the group since the twins hit 6’ somewhere in Covid-time.

In a marginally related anecdote, my partner and I hosted an engagement party for our niece tonight and I walked away with a bottle each of blantons, calumet 14, and fernet as host gifts. ngl the guy who gave me the fernet is probably the one with the best read on me.

the calumet is good. a bit acetone on the nose but tastes great.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Lawen posted:

In a marginally related anecdote, my partner and I hosted an engagement party for our niece tonight and I walked away with a bottle each of blantons, calumet 14, and fernet as host gifts. ngl the guy who gave me the fernet is probably the one with the best read on me.

the calumet is good. a bit acetone on the nose but tastes great.

Congrats! I didn’t know until about 2:00pm today if I was going to get to go to the 5:00pm ceremony. Someone would have to stay home with my grandma who has late-stage dementia, and we didn’t make a final decision until almost time to leave. So I was happy just to be there in the first place, all the smoking and drinking time was just gravy to me.

Glad you had a good day as well!

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Getting lovely with the uncles at a catholic wedding is one of life's special joys.

I went looking for a :fistbump: emote but am settling for :hydrated:

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Secondary on 2020 GTS is already approaching $1000, in January it was around $600
It's completely absurd at this point - plenty of great $50 bottles on the shelf

drat! My brother-in-law gave us a bottle a couple months back. Shouldn't have opened it, although IMHO gifted whiskey is always for drinking. It is good stuff, but nowhere near $1000 good.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

please knock Mom! posted:

Was the chili good?

It was to be fair. At least I got a pretty amusing story I guess

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

What whiskeys are people on the lookout for/planning to buy soon?

My list in rough order of availability:

Old Forester Rye
Old Forester 1920 or maybe 1910
Teeling Single Malt
Knob Creek 12 Year
New Riff 6 Year Malted Rye (supposedly more widely available soon...ish? :iiam:)

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I wish I could get OF birthday bourbon. One of the best bottles I ever drank. Got one like 8 years ago at MSRP before things went completely insane.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Costco has Rare Breed and I like it enough to get a backup bottle.

ABC’s annual sweepstakes is pushed back to December, have to see what’s out there when they release the list and tell us our place in line

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I have more than enough whiskey in my cabinet to last the winter, so the only bottle I'm after is Midwinter's Night Dram Act 9

Which I would gladly pay shipping plus a bit extra if someone else is able to grab a bottle at MSRP. It sounds like allocation is gonna be pretty small in WI this year :negative:

Edit: Apparently Makers Mark 2021 FAE-2 dropped a bit ago and I wouldn't mind grabbing one of those if I find it.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 12, 2021

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
What's the difference between Rare Breed and Russel's Reserve? They're usually within a few bucks of each other.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Toebone posted:

What's the difference between Rare Breed and Russel's Reserve? They're usually within a few bucks of each other.
Both come from the same company and have the same mash bill

Rare breed is a batch barrel with ages from 6 to 16 years
Russel is single barrel 8 to 10 years

Rare breed is slightly higher ABV
Rare breed has, to me, has notes of:
Strong caramel, vanilla and bakers spice. Cinnamon

Russel has more berry and toasted notes

For my money, I'm having Rare Breed every time

Edit:
I managed to get my hands on Bowmore 18 Year Old Feis Ile 2021 edition + a new bottle of Glenmorangie Signet

I find myself moving away from more of the 12 year bottles. My wallet isn't happy but I love exploring the bottles!!

Also thinking about joining the Scotch Malt Whiskey Society. I'll have to ship it 2 hours away from me due to my stupid state but meh. Maybe try it where they send you a bottle every month
Anyone use them? Do you find them worth it?
I've tried a few bottling I've really enjoyed with friends

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 13, 2021

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Just tried New Riff's basic bottled in bond bourbon.

For being 4 years old I'm super impressed.

For being $40 I'm... less impressed, though I do rate it better than a lot of generic bourbon standbys like 4 Roses Small Batch, Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve.

For me it clearly loses to Knob Creek 9 that's cheaper and the (maybe kinda sorta available at MSRP?) $40 Henry McKenna 10 year.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Bape Culture posted:

I wish I had never opened my yamazaki Sherry cask

I especially wish my wife hadn’t used it in a chilli when she was out of sherry

I'm twitching over here

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Sale on Irish whiskey today at my local store. Are the Waterford's any good?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

I'm a fan of the Dunmore over the other offerings personally but for the price, I'd reach for Redbreast, Powers John Lane or Yellowspot

I feel they are charging a premium hanging onto the idea of terroir whiskey while ignoring the fact that casting gives so much of the final flavour

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Lowness 72 posted:

Agree with Chalupa here. It's certainly a good project from both an intellectual and experimental standpoint, and worth supporting, but for the per bottle money you can get better liquid.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Oof, finding midwinter night's dram is gonna be tough this year. Two stores posted up 12 bottles total at like noon and they were gone in like 30 minutes.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Casu Marzu posted:

Oof, finding midwinter night's dram is gonna be tough this year. Two stores posted up 12 bottles total at like noon and they were gone in like 30 minutes.

I'm in Utah and can likely help you out if you need it. Hit me up if you want me to look or head up to the Distillery before too much snow hits us

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

I don't think this is even going to hit California.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I'm in Utah and can likely help you out if you need it. Hit me up if you want me to look or head up to the Distillery before too much snow hits us

If you happen to see a bottle, I would def buy it off you even if I manage to find a local bottle in the meantime.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm curious, does the mash bill of an Irish whiskey have more barley than an American whiskey in general? I was given a bottle of Slane whiskey in exchange for helping out a friend and it tastes much more like a highland/speyside scotch than I was expecting. I never really bought Irish whiskey because it's really expensive compared to American/Canadian whiskey in the US.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Irish whiskey has a portion of unmalted barley. This tradition started because the English taxed malted barley but not unmalted, so it reduced the taxes due as a result of making their whiskey. Also pot still vs column.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ah, I see. For some reason I thought that bourbons/whiskies in general tended to be pot stills and column stills were more for stuff that wasn't going to get aged, but I could be completely wrong.

I discovered OGD Bottled In Bond a while ago and holy cow that stuff is good, especially considering it's only like $22-25 in my expensive area.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Ah, I see. For some reason I thought that bourbons/whiskies in general tended to be pot stills and column stills were more for stuff that wasn't going to get aged, but I could be completely wrong.

Most bourbon unless it's specifically stated on the bottle is column still
Most malt scotch is pot still, while grain scotch could be either or a blend of pot or column still

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I discovered OGD Bottled In Bond a while ago and holy cow that stuff is good, especially considering it's only like $22-25 in my expensive area.

Shhhh, don't let the secret out.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm curious, does the mash bill of an Irish whiskey have more barley than an American whiskey in general? I was given a bottle of Slane whiskey in exchange for helping out a friend and it tastes much more like a highland/speyside scotch than I was expecting. I never really bought Irish whiskey because it's really expensive compared to American/Canadian whiskey in the US.

On average yes, but it's too broad a statement to to say Irish Whiskey has more barley in it because it depends on the type of Irish whiskey.

There are three main styles of Irish whiskey: Single Pot Still, Single Malt, and Blended. Single Grain is also a category, but it's uncommon to find it bottled.

Irish Single Malt is similar in requirements to Scottish Single Malt and is made entirely of malted barley. It is also distilled in pot stills, but does not contain unmalted barley.

Single Pot Still is uniquely Irish and that's the one that contains malted barley, unmalted barley and a small percentage (up to 5%) other grains. (Often oats are used).

Single Grain is again like the Scottish definition where the mashbill may contain various types of grain, and can be distilled in a continuous (column) still. This is often produced with a fair percentage of corn, because it's cheap and efficient.

Blended can be a blend of any of the above styles of whiskey. Slane is a blended whiskey so it probably contains mostly grain whisky distilled from mostly corn as a base, and is then blended with malt or pot still whiskey. It depends entirely on the recipe if it has more corn or more barley in it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Just had Pikesville Rye, it's real good. It's priced above Rittenhouse but drat is it an upgrade.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Looks like Heaven Hill has stopped bargaining and has sent in the scabs.

https://news.yahoo.com/bourbon-producer-signals-intent-hire-001239666.html

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

Looks like Heaven Hill has stopped bargaining and has sent in the scabs.

https://news.yahoo.com/bourbon-producer-signals-intent-hire-001239666.html

Well drat I wish I'd seen that before buying Pikesville at the store today.

On a slightly happier topic, I finally got around to finishing my Four Roses Private Single Barrel OESK. I was curious reading the little tag that camme along with it about OBSF (described as minty, fruity, spicy), and OESF (described as minty, fruity) was curious if anyone in the thread had found those recipes of four roses and how were they? I think I'd love to try four roses with a more minty nose, but also don't want to be disappointed as they're not cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bought a 14yo Quinta Ruban to compare with the 12yo: the 14 is deeper and has less wood in the aftertaste, otherwise I didn’t notice a difference. The price didn’t change, so I’m certifying it as IMPROVED.

I had a glass of the Belvenie Caribbean 14 that I didn’t care for initially- I liked it a lot more! I think having some air in the bottle mellowed out the rum influence, which was very harsh before.