Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Really the only thing wrong with the second empire was the okranites. Things were going pretty great until they started the anti skeleton hate speech that slowly drove cat-lon insane over the course of 300 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Ngl always seemed like there was a crossover with the weirdly verbose empire diehards and crusader kings white supremacist deus vult people

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Nothing weird about playing a bad guy in an RPG with a lot of freedom to do whatever. But when you start defending something like that as the only moral choice outside of the in-game context… yikes.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Zesty posted:

Nothing weird about playing a bad guy in an RPG with a lot of freedom to do whatever. But when you start defending something like that as the only moral choice outside of the in-game context… yikes.
It tends to be in the question of "if you HAD to pick one of the three major factions which would you?" and people say the Holy Nation is the only one of the three major factions that makes sense.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I choose death

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Azhais posted:

slowly drove cat-lon sane over the course of 300 years

Fixed

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Zesty posted:

Toss both this guy and his friend into the Peeler Machine.

Then lead the Flotsam Ninjas and Anti-Slavers to victory.

Peeler machine is def the right answer here

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The day of humans is over. All hail the hive.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I think one factor people often ignore is that a large reason why the Holy Nation is successful is due to geography. They are on one of the few green and fertile land in the entire world. It's easy to feed your people when you have the capacity to actually grow food.

Yes, UC relies heavily on slavery. But the "greener" the UC cities get, the less slavery is present. Clownsteady for example has a single slavery building. Likely because it's in an area with fertile land where they can actual expand their economy and more people can get access to food. This is in contrast to The NorthEastern territories in which slaves outnumber people and most UC villages are slave camps (though these villages could be my mods though).

How successful and stable would the Holy Nation be if it switched geography with the United Cities stronghold(the NorthEast)?

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
it's all about prayer day, which is the best day

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If we're simply talking about their tax day I'd say

early:
HN = Shek > Hounds > UC

once you've got cashflow:
Hounds = UC > HN = Shek

but they're all about the same really at that point. HN is probably the worst of the 4 once you don't need to worry about money just cause you need to make sure you hide your Narko enthusiasts

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Tabletops posted:

Ngl always seemed like there was a crossover with the weirdly verbose empire diehards and crusader kings white supremacist deus vult people

Oh there absolutely is.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Sachant posted:

Oh there absolutely is.

Oh for sure. I did a Deep Dive on the crossover between Deus Cult white nationalists, Kenshi Holy Nation Enjoyers, Warhammer Empire Fans, and people who bought Pokemon White. The results were downright yikes.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Average Bear posted:

the crossover between Deus Cult white nationalists, Kenshi Holy Nation Enjoyers, Warhammer Empire Fans, and people who bought Pokemon White

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What do you all think of Skeletons.

Do you see them as equal to the other races, or are they nothing but "robots"/computers?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They're all thousands of years old, sentient, and the ones that haven't gone insane or committed suicide are in a state of perpetual depression and shame due to the whole "exterminate all humans" thing

I'd call them people

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

punk rebel ecks posted:

What do you all think of Skeletons.

Do you see them as equal to the other races, or are they nothing but "robots"/computers?

Don't give up, Skeleton!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Azhais posted:

the ones that haven't gone insane or committed suicide are in a state of perpetual depression and shame

So they're the most relatable characters written in the past 5 years.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

This may be controversial but if I "had" to pick a side, I'd pick the UC.

Not because they are the "lesser" evil or anything of that notion, but because out of the three major factions, they seem to "tolerate" or have the least control of major cities belonging to independent factions on their land. With the exception of "World's End" pretty much every unique faction town is in UC territory or no man's land. And when using mods, this pretty much continues. Due to the UC's laziness and incompetence it allows alternative players to have a chance.

In contrast, once the Holy Nation finds an alternative anything on their land. They try to wipe it out. A good example is The Shinobi Hideout. Despite being in the remote mountains, once the Holy Nation patrols find it it is under a near constant siege. The shinobi only hold off due to the gates being guarded by literally legendary ninjas with level 90 something attack power. And even then they really struggle due to the Holy Nation pouring in units like ants.

Meanwhile any faction city in a UC territory is left completely untouched. Far more chance for a new better major player to arrive.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Don't give up, Skeleton!
In my current playthrough I have three skeletons and one Greenlander with a prosthetic leg.

I have two Ironsides in my party and it's awesome how overpowered they are (even if it feels a bit like cheating).

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Anyone use this mod before?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1759401783&searchtext=world%27s+end

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Don’t stop, I’m thinking about playing Kenshi again.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The holy nation have the most character so they're fun to interact with, and when they're lovely and evil it's cartoonish and over-the-top. The Holy Nation, as punishmen for a crime, take you to a labor camp and make you move rocks up and down a hill while a crusader walks along side you and yells at you for hours about how women are evil. poo poo like Prayer Day is funny. The UC on the other hand are just a BARELY exaggerated version of America and no one does anything cool or funny for me to latch onto.
Similarly, I think you would see more people who like the Shek if they had a more unique way of speaking and had quirks other than "always want to fight."

The Holy Nation is just the most stand-out of the major factions in this regard. People absolutely love all of the small quirky groups. Crab Raiders, the Humans who think they're robots, the robots who think they're humans, etc. If you could make Beep the leader of one of the factions, every single person would just do that, but you can't, so you have to settle with the funniest major factions which is the Holy nation.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Saul Kain posted:

every once in a while when I'm loving around in blender I'll see one of my old project files for mods, open it up, and lose 20 hours to the game again lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Saul Kain posted:

You should read my let's play narrative I did that I abandoned after around half a dozen chapters because people stopped reading.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

If you could make Beep the leader of one of the factions, every single person would just do that, but you can't, so you have to settle with the funniest major factions which is the Holy nation.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2352336837&searchtext=beep+empire

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Not because they are the "lesser" evil or anything of that notion, but because out of the three major factions, they seem to "tolerate" or have the least control of major cities belonging to independent factions on their land. With the exception of "World's End" pretty much every unique faction town is in UC territory or no man's land. And when using mods, this pretty much continues. Due to the UC's laziness and incompetence it allows alternative players to have a chance.

I always thought this was kind of a weakness in the lore. It never made sense to me how cities as disparate as Sho-Battai and Clownsteady or Drifter's Last were in the same "empire", with so much poo poo in between them making communication and continuity basically impossible. Anyone trying to run messages or trade between something like Brink and Catun has, as their options, Venge (lasers and thralls), Reavers, Anti-Slaver territory, or the Black Desert. If I were to do my own world refresh mod I'd make the southern UC cities their own faction, some sort of pirate-freebooter type thing.

Sachant fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 31, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Sachant posted:

I always thought this was kind of a weakness in the lore. It never made sense to me how cities as disparate as Sho-Battai and Clownsteady or Drifter's Last were in the same "empire", with so much poo poo in between them making communication and continuity basically impossible. Anyone trying to run messages or trade between something like Brink and Catun has, as their options, Venge (lasers and thralls), Reavers, Anti-Slaver territory, or the Black Desert. If I were to do my own world refresh mod I'd make the southern UC cities their own faction, some sort of pirate-freebooter type thing.

I was under the impression that the UC was in control via traders guild and the towns are nothing more than cities with a lot of guild money behind them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was under the impression that the UC was in control via traders guild and the towns are nothing more than cities with a lot of guild money behind them.

Yeah, they seem less like an empire and more like a series of loosely connected city-states connected via a trade monopoly

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah, they seem less like an empire and more like a series of loosely connected city-states connected via a trade monopoly

They have nobles and an emperor though. There's the Trader's Guild but that's a separate/connected faction. I think the UC is more centralized than that.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Does the UC use boats? They have 2 coastal cities I think

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
There are also corridors that are relatively safe for travel from the desert cities of the northeastern portion of the world to the southern towns. A couple of beak things or some Gorillo bandits can be pretty bad to an early game player, but a squad of UC samurai would easily put down anything you'd encounter in most segments of the map controlled by the UC.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I choose death

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This is the only Beak Thing mod you will ever need.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

This is the only Beak Thing mod you will ever need.

:iit:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Couple kenshi.jpg's, not mine.

DwarvenZombie
Aug 3, 2014

Fewd posted:

Couple kenshi.jpg's, not mine.

Nice 😈

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
If I got a solo fighter guy whose mostly fighting groups, what weapon would maximize defense? So far it seems like foreign sabers might be the best choice, but I've seen people also say heavy polearms for some reason.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it's likely due to the attack animations. Big, wide swings will hit more than one enemy at a time, and high damage hits will stagger enemies, so going heavy polearm will give you both of those + it does a lot of cutting damage so it'll level your dex as well as your strength which means faster swings and blocks

Sabers will give you actual defensive stats but due to how attacks and blocking/dodging work you gotta think about the weapon's length and attack animations too

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Falling sun. Dead people can't hurt you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Dorkopotamis posted:

If I got a solo fighter guy whose mostly fighting groups, what weapon would maximize defense? So far it seems like foreign sabers might be the best choice, but I've seen people also say heavy polearms for some reason.

Polearms in general are probably your best bet. The range on them is surprisingly useless for keeping larger groups at bay, but you're still going to need to be significantly stronger than the groups you're fighting to stand a chance. I usually start dudes off with naginatas for the attack bonus and animal damage, then move onto polearms and heavy polearms once they have to fight people with heavy armor.