Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arglebargle III posted:

Someone needs to tell them that rejected sketches from 40 years ago aren't something to brag about.

The ferengi are slowly turning into bats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Thom12255 posted:

I'm glad they're shaking things up with a universe-ending threat this season.

exactly the first thing I thought lmao

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Azhais posted:

The ferengi are slowly turning into bats

Too much further and we're gonna end up with Magog

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Man what a great episode of lower decks, I really love the music

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Facebook Aunt posted:

I don't know how an undercover vulcan would remain sane for long.

People ask him why he is there, so he needs to have a logical explanation for why it is logical for a Vulcan to be there doing the thing. The false logic must be sound enough to fool other people, possibly even other (wrong headed) Vulcans within the organization. But!!! that logic must be flawed. If the logic was sound then it wouldn't make sense for him to be undercover there, he should instead join sincerely.

tl;dr: Tuvok is nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iMlvTfVMzU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
That reminded me of something I'd noticed in other episodes; often, Chakotay just barrels into rooms like he's going to knock down anyone in his way, and occasionally he actually physically moves people aside rather than go around them. Since that's not really his character, I wonder if it's more how Beltran behaves.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's in his character in the first episode where he's totally different, his personality just switches from angry and imposing to totally passive soon after. Maybe Beltran developed his body language from Caretaker.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 9, 2021

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Payndz posted:

That reminded me of something I'd noticed in other episodes; often, Chakotay just barrels into rooms like he's going to knock down anyone in his way, and occasionally he actually physically moves people aside rather than go around them. Since that's not really his character, I wonder if it's more how Beltran behaves.

Probably just Beltran embodying what he thinks Chakotay to be. He was given jack poo poo to work with on paper, and he did his best to elevate the material before he just completely gave up around season 5.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Riker maneuver but with people

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Chakotay speed ran from Sisko to Riker.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

Hard to judge if the neoCelsior is big

May or may not be not so big as her captain, I think, it's hard to tell

Payndz posted:

To an extent, that's just a Star Trek thing. Once you notice it, you'll never unsee it: in any corridor walk-and-talk scene, the extras coming the other way always scrunch way to the sides of the hall so the main characters can just keep striding down the middle side by side. (I'm sure other shows do the same thing, but Trek has more corridor scenes than most productions.)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Thom12255 posted:

I'm glad they're shaking things up with a universe-ending threat this season.

I mean I sure feel high tension as this unproven captain and unproven crew go out against a big unknown threat.

Hah. Imagine if they had done this so much that in previous series they lampshaded it and even in one of the movies talked explicitly about it.

https://youtu.be/3ARERrwpNq8

I mean if that was the case it would remove all tension and make it completely banal since there was no escalation of threat ever. Hah

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 9, 2021

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I like Discovery, but it's really weird how it's impossible to describe. All the other shows can be summed up in a line or two. The only way to describe it is this ship somehow saves the universe about every three months.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

May or may not be not so big as her captain, I think, it's hard to tell

To an extent, that's just a Star Trek thing. Once you notice it, you'll never unsee it: in any corridor walk-and-talk scene, the extras coming the other way always scrunch way to the sides of the hall so the main characters can just keep striding down the middle side by side. (I'm sure other shows do the same thing, but Trek has more corridor scenes than most productions.)

Rank has its privileges.

*Janeway shoulder-checks an ensign into a bulkhead, who weakly says "ma'am"*

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Nah, vulcans always used rings, back to the ENT days.

No I mean in real-world time, everything in ENT got designed after TNG and they only came up with the Vulcan design after discarding the rules they had in earlier shows.

The_Doctor posted:

You need to tell all the Star Wars nerds that for every Ralph McQuarrie concept that shows up in Rebels.

McQuarrie drew some really wild stuff, so it's a pretty fertile ground if you need some extra ideas, although there's also a sort of cowardly aspect where if you steal a design from concept art, you can sort of make a bold design decision but just kinda hide behind the fact that it's somebody else's earlier design decision and using their credibility instead of your own.

But aside from that, probably more species should have some kind of variability in their alien aspects, that seems fine. Not something big like "oh this one subrace has like a scorpion tail that squirts acid" but just some aesthetic differences.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Nichael posted:

I like Discovery, but it's really weird how it's impossible to describe. All the other shows can be summed up in a line or two. The only way to describe it is this ship somehow saves the universe about every three months.

IDK "mary sue star trek" seems pretty easy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

No I mean in real-world time, everything in ENT got designed after TNG and they only came up with the Vulcan design after discarding the rules they had in earlier shows.

Oh. Well they are also partly inspired by the T'pau Vulcan transport ships from TNG, which had ring engines even back then. And I think also inspired a bit by the ring shape Enterprise we saw a picture of in TMP, which after ENT is retroactively now assumed to have been Earth trying out Vulcan designs.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I gotta say, at the moment this looks terrible. Lots of emphasis on characters I don't like while sidelining of the ones I do. It's frustrating to know I'll hatewatch this season and almost certainly find things I do like, but slapped between a mess of things I hate.

Oh well, at least there's still one more episode of Lower Decks, then SNW at some point to look forward to.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kinda sad that CGI kids' show Star Trek makes me more exited than live action Star Trek

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

wait they're using the mushroom drive again? i thought that had implications

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I don’t trust trailers for TV shows. This one was two minutes cut from 14-ish hours of actual runtime, and probably only really just from the first 2-3 hours.

This is also honestly a pretty lovely trailer. If there was a hook, I missed it. I like Discovery, so I’m looking forward to more Discovery, but I got nothing from this trailer except “get ready for more Discovery!”. We will get at least one massive threat that the crew needs to solve, there will be some action, everyone who I expected to see in the trailer is there. Hooray, I guess?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

punishedkissinger posted:

lol

lol at thinking Discovery cares much for internal consistency

lol at thinking that Burnham wouldn't just disobey orders and do the thing anyway

lol at thinking that her instincts to do whatever random thing won't be 100% right and save the universe at least once per season

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

blastron posted:

I like Discovery

It's okay, you don't have to lie here.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

There are actual Voyager fans it's not surprising people like Discovery as well

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
That episode of Lower Decks was the best Trek made since DS9 ended. What a concept.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I like Discovery when the characters I like are in the same room doing Trek stuff together, but those moments are sometimes hard to find with how little room the plots give the characters to breathe in most episodes

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I know this is petty and I know it's 3 seasons ago now but I think about how Worf quit a mission to save Jadzias life and was told he would probably never get a command, then I look at Captain Mutiny Warcrimes.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 9, 2021

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.
That Discovery trailer... you would think the writers could figure out something other than yet another galactic level threat. But I guess once you open that door they don't feel they can't back down? I think what drives me most crazy is I like all of the actors and characters. If the show just had better writing. Whatever, I'll watch it (same with Picard) because I am stupid and glutton for punishment.

Lower Decks on the other hand continues to be amazing. Easily a top 3 Trek for me at this point. I just wish the seasons were longer, since I want more than 10 episodes per year.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

punishedkissinger posted:

Not that I remember, other than maybe that bit in Season 2 with Tilly's ghost friend or whatever it was that lives in mushroom space, which was resolved when they pulled Culber out I think, or maybe its impact on Stamets as the living navcom, which fancy futuretech has helped with a little, plus there's that other guy stepping in as a backup, I guess. They probably left any other dangers back in the 23rd century and Starfleet wiped the records anyway.

Also the rest of the post-Burn fleet is pretty limited in warp capability which makes the shroom drive kinda necessary.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Screaming_Gremlin posted:

Lower Decks on the other hand continues to be amazing. Easily a top 3 Trek for me at this point.

Yeah I agree.

Like DS9, it really requires you to have seen TNG for it to be fully appreciated for what it is, but it's extremely entertaining and much more consistently so than VOY or ENT (or certainly any of the other newer stuff)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is discovery really canon anymore? They made motions towards it in the first season but now it just feels like Andromeda or some other off-brand story.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Bloop posted:

Yeah I agree.

Like DS9, it really requires you to have seen TNG for it to be fully appreciated for what it is, but it's extremely entertaining and much more consistently so than VOY or ENT (or certainly any of the other newer stuff)
There have also been a lot of TAS references in LD

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

FlamingLiberal posted:

There have also been a lot of TAS references in LD

LD is doing God's work to further canonize TAS

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Is discovery really canon anymore? They made motions towards it in the first season but now it just feels like Andromeda or some other off-brand story.

I find it hard to believe that season 3 onward won't be undone in the canon somehow. Knowing that the burn will happen and undo most of the federation's progress really fucks up any future series imo.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I just want to join in on the internet outrage about how they just HAD to change the way Ferengi look.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

MillennialVulcan posted:

I know this is petty and I know it's 3 seasons ago now but I think about how Worf quit a mission to save Jadzias life and was told he would probably never get a command, then I look at Captain Mutiny War crimes.

Burnham as captain legitimately makes me angry. She's like the antithesis of Starfleet and the Federation. Selfish, secretive, works EXTREMELY poorly with others, endangers the crew frequently with half cocked plans that only work because the plot demands it. And everyone just falls over themselves to espouse their unending love for her.

Saru, while not a great captain is just orders of magnitude better.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Burnham as captain legitimately makes me angry. She's like the antithesis of Starfleet and the Federation. Selfish, secretive, works EXTREMELY poorly with others, endangers the crew frequently with half cocked plans that only work because the plot demands it. And everyone just falls over themselves to espouse their unending love for her.

Saru, while not a great captain is just orders of magnitude better.

And while Tilly was incredibly annoying for S1 and S2, in S3 she got given an actual coherent story arc towards being a good leader and ready to be captain. And then it gets tossed away.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I've given disco three seasons but I think this is where it loses me. A chance to leisurely explore a wild new setting for a franchise now that you've finally wrapped up the big galactic crisis??? NOPE ON TO THE NEXT CRISIS, it's always red alert on SS Disco

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I don't like Tilly, but as a captain she's got one thing up on Burnham by not being a serial mutineer.

I suppose Burnham can't mutiny if she's the captain, so that's one way to stop her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

its crazy to me that DS9 is considered the dark trek when you have enterprise and disco and picard