Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

EdsTeioh posted:

I won't even mention Netrunner.

I introduced a friend to Conquest a few months back and remembered what a solid game that was! Then we played some Game of Thrones and I remembered what a solid game that was! Then last month I printed out the new Core Nisei stuff and we remembered what a great game that was! I really wished I liked playing on TTS because I'd probably be on there playing all those, plus Star Wars LCG, even some older stuff like the Decipher Star Wars game and Spycraft.

After putting it off for a few days I play Nebula last night and I gotta say she's actually pretty solid. I was a little worried that she wasn't going to be very consistent but you can really hit all your techniques quite easily. I was pretty skeptical that she was going to do well since Loki is pretty tough but it was what I had setup and she actually performed better than Adam Warlock. I was flipping between her forms pretty regularly in order to get the most out of her techniques but her stun/confuse technique, combined with Justice and a couple other sources of confuse meant that I was able to keep threat low. When Loki had a stalwart form out, I'd use the tutor a side scheme-> draw 3 to put a side scheme play that would force him to change when it popped, then pop it, and confuse him and shift down. I was flipping pretty much every turn but it actually worked better than I thought. Usually Heroes that have to flip down often don't do as well in solo; it's a big problem for Rocket as an example. She really worked out great though, not as impressed as I was with Venom or Adam but she's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Man, Star Wars LCG was awesome. Reminded me a bit of playing old L5R, which I also liked a lot (and still own thousands of cards for).

Is Vampire Rivals the redone version of Jyhad/VTES? Cuz that game was also very much my jam.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I haven't been following this thread for a long while so forgive me if people knew this was coming but FFG is doing a revised core set of the LotR LCG:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/10/7/retelling-the-tale/

Extremely surprising to me, but makes me miss the LCG. My friends and I played fairly regularly for years pre pandemic and finished all of the quests into the middle of the Harad cycle. Maybe I'll try to figure out one of those virtual board game things sometime since we're still not really hanging in person.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Epi Lepi posted:

I haven't been following this thread for a long while so forgive me if people knew this was coming but FFG is doing a revised core set of the LotR LCG:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/10/7/retelling-the-tale/

Extremely surprising to me, but makes me miss the LCG. My friends and I played fairly regularly for years pre pandemic and finished all of the quests into the middle of the Harad cycle. Maybe I'll try to figure out one of those virtual board game things sometime since we're still not really hanging in person.

I play a lot of Marvel Champions with my partner. She doesn't like Arkham's theme but does enjoy Lord of the Rings so this is tempting. Do we know anything about potential improvements?

I remember what little I've previously played being horrifically difficult but that was before thousands of hours of other cooperative LCGs.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I played it with someone who I played thousands of hours of games with.

Even with Hall of Fame decks, it’s tremendously difficult. Like, the 3rd adventure has several cards that instant kill your characters, no save.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Based on the news it sounds like the only improvement is adding in stuff in the core for campaigns.

I also found LotR to be cripplingly hard when playing with someone that didn't make good decisions because the game was extremely punishing and it snowballed very fast. The main thing I enjoy about Marvel Champions is that the deck building is pretty free in terms of not forcing you into needing specific builds most of the time, but LotR it was very hard to find a list that carried me through more than a single scenario. That can be good if you're in it really thick and know all the cards but it was really frustrating not really being able to just pick up a deck and go "Here, this will be fine." If you're playing with someone who's going to get into the thick of it with you then it's probably a good choice if you like the theme because the game is very meaty.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

PaybackJack posted:

Based on the news it sounds like the only improvement is adding in stuff in the core for campaigns.

I also found LotR to be cripplingly hard when playing with someone that didn't make good decisions because the game was extremely punishing and it snowballed very fast. The main thing I enjoy about Marvel Champions is that the deck building is pretty free in terms of not forcing you into needing specific builds most of the time, but LotR it was very hard to find a list that carried me through more than a single scenario. That can be good if you're in it really thick and know all the cards but it was really frustrating not really being able to just pick up a deck and go "Here, this will be fine." If you're playing with someone who's going to get into the thick of it with you then it's probably a good choice if you like the theme because the game is very meaty.

Not too deep into the games life cycle they added in easy mode to the quests, you start with an extra resource for each hero and you remove certain cards from the enemy deck that had a certain symbol on them, I think a gold ring. My group's default ended up being starting with the extra resource every time but usually we didn't remove the hard cards unless we got smoked multiple times.

We played 4 player though, which trivialized some quests but made others impossible lol.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The 3rd quest also spawns four bosses, not one boss per player.

A friend showed me a custom marvel mode someone made, where you roll for drops, but it looked tedious. I’m not gonna play three games as one character just so I can have combat training or something.

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...
LOTR is ball-bustingly hard in many scenarios and if the people you play with aren't ready to fail a fair few times while tweaking their decks to make it work, it's hard to recommend.

I like it a lot, but I also do the half-easy mode thing like Epi Lepi where all heroes get an extra resource at the start. And I play two-handed solo, because I know my wife would not appreciate the difficulty (and that's ok!)

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

If anyone's looking to pick LotR up and you're in the states, I'd probably trade my collection off. The more I thought about it, between AH and MC, I don't see it getting the the table any time soon.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’m picking up the revised Arkham Horror because I can have something for when my friend wants to switch things up a bit, but I wouldn’t dip into LOTR. That’s just too much between the two of us and the difficulty sounds exhausting for the two of us who only play Marvel on standard.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
We almost always play marvel on expert. Ronan required us to drop down to standard.

We finally beat Red Skull + Legions of Hydra the other night and plan to try it again on expert tonight. It was our previous white whale. Madam Hydra is a huge problem because she gets to add threat to her side scheme before you can react to it and the extra encounter card is hard to ignore long term.

Justice Rocket Raccoon and Agression Gamora won so overwhelmingly that we want to see how much harder we can make it.

Maybe we are the intended audience for Lord of the Rings? What kind of mindset does one need going into it?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I'm surprised the LotR LCG is getting a revised edition along with a commitment to repackage some of its other content because even back when I stopped collecting it a few years ago it was kind of a running joke or meme that the game was about to die or they were about to lose the license or something every time they announced a new product for it.

If I had to guess I'd say its longevity is a testament to the way certain games develop and maintain a diehard audience which may not grow much but never really shrinks, and yet manages to remain large enough to be continually profitable. I'm sure this particular license helps too. And don't get me wrong, I think it's a very good game, but as testified even on this page it's a very difficult game with a fairly high barrier to entry compared to the other offerings.

And those other offerings, by which I mean co-op LCGs, all come from the same company so it's interesting how they're positioned to not eat into each other's audience too much. The thing I love most about the AH LCG is its serialized campaign mode and card upgrade system; LotR was the prototype for that design and MC doesn't have it at all (though I think they added something similar recently?) which is the main reason I haven't tried that game.

Another reason is that I heard it's easy, and my other favourite thing about AH is how hard it is. It's interesting how the theme of each game relates to their difficulty, or perhaps expectation of difficulty, wherein anyone familiar with the Cthulhu mythos would understand that essentially, 'you're not supposed to win.' But superheroes? They always win, or at least they always win in the end.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Arkham Horror is interesting because even when you're forced to abandon certain objectives / do things alternatively in a scenario, the chances are still quite good to win the overall campaign. I've always liked the inherent dnd aspects of it where the game reacts to objectives you've failed or succeeded; it's a better way to approach difficulty instead of just leaving you completely hosed and with no avenue of victory.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I recently acquired a Marvel Champions core set, and then managed to acquire a nearly complete collection of all Marvel Champions stuff for about $200 which I couldn't resist.

is there a benefit to keeping my original core set, or is that good to trade away?

95% likely I only play 1-2 player.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Played designhacker’s Thing with his fantastic four allies and custom determination aspect.
Ended the game with retaliate three, killing three enemies that had guard, setting up for a massive “clobbering time”! Stay off Yancy Street, Goblin!

Started at 17 hit points, ended with two. Perfect.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Fate Accomplice posted:

I recently acquired a Marvel Champions core set, and then managed to acquire a nearly complete collection of all Marvel Champions stuff for about $200 which I couldn't resist.

is there a benefit to keeping my original core set, or is that good to trade away?

95% likely I only play 1-2 player.

Do you care about proxies? If not, you’d really only want a second core for extra allies and some cards like Mansion and Hellicarrier but they can all be proxied if you want.

You can safely trade it away.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

EdsTeioh posted:

If anyone's looking to pick LotR up and you're in the states, I'd probably trade my collection off. The more I thought about it, between AH and MC, I don't see it getting the the table any time soon.

:same: but Europe.

I have a pile of nerdshit (including my LOTR collection) that I really need to put on eBay but ugh the effort.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Took Justice Venom and Adam Warlock through the MTS campaign and crashed out on Hela. While Thanos stalwartness was a problem it wasn't nearly as problematic at Hela's. We pushed the third side scheme a bit to fast although we did get the Norn stones before, her attachments are just too brutal and by that point I think she had all of them. I think I'll probably toss in a couple more Spycraft just to ensure that her attachments end up in the discard pile.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Hela is kinda like Escape the Museum from GMW. You keep her at her initial form as long as possible and build your engine to full power, and then you hit the gas so your blasting through the next phases. I didn’t do campaign mode but solo fight though, so I’m not sure how different it would be.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah, you don’t want to beat her as fast as you’re able because every portion drops some more on you.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

Hela is kinda like Escape the Museum from GMW. You keep her at her initial form as long as possible and build your engine to full power, and then you hit the gas so your blasting through the next phases. I didn’t do campaign mode but solo fight though, so I’m not sure how different it would be.

It's not too different maybe even easier since you might have shwarma and kicking around the first phase to get the Norn stones isn't too hard albeit "doubling" her life total. I should have told him to slow down and make sure we could take out Nidhogg and his side scheme in the same turn to dodge the extra encounter cards but really her hitting the cloak was really the big problem because then the crown really snowballed.

It's funny because in solo I never saw those pieces of her gear but boom, we hit them almost immediately this time out.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

EdsTeioh posted:

What all do you have?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

McGurk posted:

What all do you have?

2x Core, complete Mirkwood cycle with at least one extra pack, Khazad-Dum, both Hobbit Saga boxes.

Also re: multiple Marvel Champions cores: There is a case for having multiple of them IF you want to keep more decks built at once instead of having to disassemble and reassemble decks for heroes. I've still never played Black Panther because of that.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Hall of Heroes has War Machine spoilers running. Dude looks insane. His main kit looks incredibly powerful especially once you have his upgrades running. I might switch him over to aggression.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah he has tons and tons of attack upgrades he wants to run aggression.

His enemy treacheries are amazing though, they all make you discard an upgrade. And there’s three of them.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

Hall of Heroes has War Machine spoilers running. Dude looks insane. His main kit looks incredibly powerful especially once you have his upgrades running. I might switch him over to aggression.

Those Leadership cards look loving sick, as well----Sneak Attack to pay 1 for some of the heavy hitter allies would be great, and Command Team will be a great card to just keep using and activating allies for those ally-heavy decks.

Getting Tough status everytime you switch back to hero is fantastic; really love how it sells the "rearm and reload" gimmick.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The leadership cards do look awesome.

The alliance cards also look pretty good. You can have your co-op partner help pay the cost for the card and it has pretty strong effect where you can reverse a brutal hit. Would be excellent to use against Ronan.

They’re in a pretty good design space right now IMO.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I kind of thought at first glace the ammo counters were going to be a kind of fiddly mechanism but it seems pretty strong now that we see all his cards. Love when they give characters resource cards too and he's got two of them. No way to ready him but honestly the only real problem with that comes from his thwarting as confused is going to hit him pretty hard. I'm shocked he doesn't have 4 hand size with how strong he is.

Interested to see the full list for Valkyrie's cards.

I just got in some GameGenic Dungeons for storing the game and now I'm looking at Burgertoken's perfect fit deckboxes for further storage separation.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Speaking of the above, what is everyone using for storage in MH? I think I've finally filled my core box up (core, Red Skull, Green Goblin, bunch of heroes) and I don't really want to get anything else until I can come up with some kind of decent solution for this. I've used BCW boxes for Netrunner, AH, and LotR but don't really want to go with those again since I think they look poopy on my shelf.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Here's what everything looks like in a pair of GameGenic Dungeons. Normally I use Ultimate guard but I wanted something overly large so it could fit toploaders and the Burger Token deck boxes.

Now this is minus two player decks, Hela & Loki and their modulars, so there is actually a bit less space than shown, but you get the idea. Will probably need to move the hero cards fairly quickly on after a few more come out, and then by the time the next deluxe drops the hero decks themselves will almost certainly overflow into another row. https://dividers

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I just use foamcore and hot glue to partition the game boxes. Dividers are made from trimmed down recipe cards. Here's all my current character cards (save for one deck in a deck box):

The expansion boxes hold scenarios and modular sets. One foamcore partition down the middle and it's a perfect fit for sleeved cards. When I finally get Mad Titan, I'll split scenarios / modulars into separate boxes:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I don't have pics but my friend has a fancy box suitcase with slide out drawers. He keeps the justice/agg/prot/leadership/basic cards in color coded ultrapro plastic deckboxes, and the villain cards in different colored sorted deckboxes. Unbuilt heroes are all in the original box, and any built heroes have deckboxes of their own. We mostly experiment on steam tabletop sim so for his physical collection he keeps Venom justice, Gamora agg with some justice, Drax prot and Spidey leadership built since we return to those a lot when playing in person this year.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Here is everything released to date in NA (prior to Mad Titans Shadow) in a Hobby Lobby Artists Case and a Vertical Insert from Broken Token, with dividers by https://www.tesseractgames.co.uk
Tokens in a box, 3 decks me and 2 friends built, ready to go.

I even have the esty special holders for Ant-Man and Wasp in there

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I keep all my decks in deck boxes and I’m cheap so it’s just in a BCW box. I’ve got to think about removing villain content because my BCW box and my villain storage case are now full.

I might take out the GMW stuff when SM comes out and only do GMW stuff if I play at home.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Vision preview article is up!

Has own form change card like Spectrum but changes between Dense and Intangible. The reduced damage from intangible is pretty nice for tanking hits from a bunch of minions.

Looks like based on the numbers that we'll probably have 2 of the Density Controls and 3 Solar Beams. That's my guess at least. Mass Increase is a 1-off which is unfortunate but it's very strong and you could get it back with the Density Controls. Phase Disruption is really nice as well, since we haven't seen a lot of ways to manipulate enemy attachments.

Innate stun and confuse cards are very good. Seems strong!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Thanks for all the pics guys! Think I'm gonna try that foamcore idea with my existing boxes; that looks good!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

PaybackJack posted:

Vision preview article is up!

Has own form change card like Spectrum but changes between Dense and Intangible. The reduced damage from intangible is pretty nice for tanking hits from a bunch of minions.

Looks like based on the numbers that we'll probably have 2 of the Density Controls and 3 Solar Beams. That's my guess at least. Mass Increase is a 1-off which is unfortunate but it's very strong and you could get it back with the Density Controls. Phase Disruption is really nice as well, since we haven't seen a lot of ways to manipulate enemy attachments.

Innate stun and confuse cards are very good. Seems strong!

What’s incredibly strong is we finally have a card that can rip “hero response” or “hero action” from an enemy. That’s powerful. Can rip Ronan’s hammer off with no penalty, and a whole bunch of other cards could be dealt with. I really hope they introduce some more cards that would be able to do that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Vision looks insanely fun. Picturing some really weird gimmick decks with him since he could be a Thwart machine while intangible, too. The android heal/pull gimmick gonna give him a lot of good allies.

Defiance and Flow Like Water are going to be *so* loving good on Drax, I'm really excited for those cards---they seem really great for the Protection aspect. Defiance is basically tailor made to ratfuck villains like Klaw, and Flow Like Water provides more incentive for Defense cardplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
I think the major thing I'm taking away from Vision is the commitment to the change of direction of the protection aspect. Early protection cards/events felt more centered around exhausting/readying up your hero while since Wasp it feels it has been more about just preventing/avoiding damage. It kind of makes sense, because exhausting to preventing 3-5 damage isn't near as exciting as exhausting to do 5+ damage.

It's by far the weakest aspect in true solo and probably the least exciting for new players. It kind of sucks because aggression/justice can both thwart/attack respectively better so they have a much greater impact on the game state than protection. Protection is also severely lacking in ways to remove threat from side schemes outside of allies or your own hero. It also looks like they are a bit unsure on balancing it's events. It's probably no more apparent then the aerial events. Dive Bomb is 4 cost for 7+whatever damage, Agile Flight 3 cost for 5 thwart however you want, Ever Vigilant is 2 cost for a ready and maybe 2 threat of the main scheme if there isn't a crisis icon. Aerial Supremacy is a weird one where it can be over powered or underpowered depending on the deck.

I really hope they continue in this direction because I do enjoy the aspect but since I play mostly true solo it's just not something I can really play a lot of.