Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which should I play as for the Generals Challenge? [Pick 3]
This poll is closed.
Laser 60 14.74%
Air Power 34 8.35%
Super Weapons 49 12.04%
Tanks 26 6.39%
Infantry 39 9.58%
Nuclear Power 68 16.71%
Toxin 48 11.79%
Stealth 42 10.32%
Explosives 41 10.07%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ashsaber posted:

Man, Youtube just has no idea what Generals is. X1 had it saying a... different C&C game, this one it thought it was Starcraft, for some reason. Algorithm is drunk, as usual, I guess.

Also, was there one of the other new US units this mission? I swear I saw it in a cutscene, but not sure if it was on the field or not. Something made to fill a hole in the roster, but one that doesn't really come up in campaign at all.

Pretty sure it doesn't show up in the campaign :v: It'll get an entry next mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
We actually do see quite a bit of the new US arsenal in Zero Hour in this mission, thanks to the fact we can finally build a base, but I'll save talking about them until they're formally introduced.

As for this mission, it's been like 15 years since I played it on Hard, but sometimes you just want to appreciate a real knock down, drag-out fight in extremely hostile terrain, and if that's your thing, this mission definitely provides. The intro cinematic was probably my favorite in the game, especially compared to the low-level stuff we've seen in the previous missions.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ashsaber posted:

Man, Youtube just has no idea what Generals is. X1 had it saying a... different C&C game, this one it thought it was Starcraft, for some reason. Algorithm is drunk, as usual, I guess.

Also, was there one of the other new US units this mission? I swear I saw it in a cutscene, but not sure if it was on the field or not. Something made to fill a hole in the roster, but one that doesn't really come up in campaign at all.

I think there's something lasery in your initial forces on this one if that's what you're asking about

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ashsaber posted:

We definitely saw a new defensive structure this mission. That Jobbo didn't mention because I get the impression, by the time it came to editing and recording, he was 200% DONE with this mission.

Maybe it'll show up in X5? (the artillery gun thing).

The US bias in opening cutscenes continues. Can you imagine how many of those planes would have been gunned down if it was a China mission? I kept waiting for the kaboom but it never came.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Veloxyll posted:

We definitely saw a new defensive structure this mission. That Jobbo didn't mention because I get the impression, by the time it came to editing and recording, he was 200% DONE with this mission.

Maybe it'll show up in X5? (the artillery gun thing).

The US bias in opening cutscenes continues. Can you imagine how many of those planes would have been gunned down if it was a China mission? I kept waiting for the kaboom but it never came.

Yeah that'll get talked about too, in X5.

urzaserra256
Nov 29, 2009
One thing I havent seen discussed much are some of the bugs and a rather sever/funny exploits.

Up until one of the later ZH patches, every once in a while when killing a vehicle with a turret, the vehicle part would despawn but the turret would not, it would just settle to the ground bein invincible but still be active and firing away.
The usa supply drop crates not dropping on the drop zone was a bug that was fixed.
The funny/sever exploit was you could select a scud storm building(even if it jsut started building) and with a few button press combinations, could make it continously fire off the missiles even when the building wasnt even completed.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Ooh, I still have the screenshots I took of that paradrop intro. BMP format with added :krad: red-on-black text about how cool it all was. :allears:

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Sylphid posted:

We actually do see quite a bit of the new US arsenal in Zero Hour in this mission, thanks to the fact we can finally build a base, but I'll save talking about them until they're formally introduced.

As for this mission, it's been like 15 years since I played it on Hard, but sometimes you just want to appreciate a real knock down, drag-out fight in extremely hostile terrain, and if that's your thing, this mission definitely provides. The intro cinematic was probably my favorite in the game, especially compared to the low-level stuff we've seen in the previous missions.

Yeah, while I hate actually playing this mission, its intro is amazing for the game engine and just looks as awesome as it is insane.

Veloxyll posted:

The USA after 1 and 4/5 campaigns finally learned about the set invincible toggle for intro cutscenes. Hence why a few dozen Rangers were able to take out multiple Quad Cannons during the fadeout.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

UED Special Ops posted:

Yeah, while I hate actually playing this mission, its intro is amazing for the game engine and just looks as awesome as it is insane.

The USA after 1 and 4/5 campaigns finally learned about the set invincible toggle for intro cutscenes. Hence why a few dozen Rangers were able to take out multiple Quad Cannons during the fadeout.

Or for that matter even make it to the ground considering those transports fly in through a wall of anti air units.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Oh... I suffered.

I suffered many times. Final footage length was something like 70 minutes.

This makes me feel better :getin:

Still wish I could have seen some of that sweet suffering though!

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I think there was one of USA's new units in this mission briefly: the laser pointer jeep. Against a faction with no aircraft.

iwfan53
May 11, 2018

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I think there was one of USA's new units in this mission briefly: the laser pointer jeep. Against a faction with no aircraft.

The laser pointer jeep also can shoot down enemy missiles in midflight, so if so many people keep complaining about how dangerous Scud Launchers (the unit not the superpower) are, maybe they do serve a purpose after all (would need to go "test how many of them you need to shoot down a scud missile though...)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Check it, a mod for the original Red Alert (but not the remasters) that makes the entire campaign co-op.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/command-conquer-blue-alert

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I gotta admit, my favourite part of Zero Hour so far is the reporter guy. His delivery is so spot on.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
This thread has given me a hankerin' to replay Generals - is it possible to get it legally anywhere? I still have my Zero Hour CD but my original game disc is long gone.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Loxbourne posted:

This thread has given me a hankerin' to replay Generals - is it possible to get it legally anywhere? I still have my Zero Hour CD but my original game disc is long gone.

Fairly sure it's on Origin. Otherwise you can try and find the C&C First Decade box used for sale somewhere.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah Origin has a collection of all of the C&C games for around 20$ which is a steal, frankly.

I believe some are even patched to run better on modern systems (though RA2 and TibSun work best with CNCNet)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

I gotta admit, my favourite part of Zero Hour so far is the reporter guy. His delivery is so spot on.

My favorite part is he doesn't bust out laughing at half of his lines.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Lol I was going to do a bit where I contact him on twitter to ask him questions about Zero Hour, but not only can I not seem to find him on social media, he doesn't even have Zero Hour listed on his IMDB

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lol I was going to do a bit where I contact him on twitter to ask him questions about Zero Hour, but not only can I not seem to find him on social media, he doesn't even have Zero Hour listed on his IMDB

He definitely has at least one more role in C&C in the future, so that's odd to me. There's absolutely no way that role and Seabury here aren't the same person.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Even on normal that mission is a nightmare once the GLA gets moving and starts launching scud storms.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I think a lot of imdb is user sourced so he may not have been credited correctly despite it definitely being the exact guy we know it is

is his name in the credits for ZH somewhere? You could probably add him :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
USA X5: Area Fifty-Two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-l2G43F_gY
USA X5: Area Fifty-Two

American forces have discovered the location of Dr. Thrax's toxin missile launch site. It is up to you to deploy your troops immediately and destroy this threat. We cannot allow any of those missiles to launch. Go, General!

N/A

Objective: Capture the Toxin Missile Launch Sites.

Author's note: A decent mission, with all the gadgets and some breathing room. It is night and day in comparison with Black Gold.

Name: James Seabury
Aliases: None
Affiliation: USA
Voiced/Played by: Julian Stone

A reporter for BNN, James Seabury is an attaché to military troops in Europe/Asia.

Avenger
RANGE: Medium
ARMOR: Anti-Air Vehicle
WEAPON: Anti-Air Lasers + Targeting Laser
COST: 2000

A mobile platform, the Avenger can paint airborne and ground targets with its Point Defense Laser. When targets are painted, other units in the vicinity can fire faster and with better success at them. The Avenger can also down enemy aircraft.

Author's Note: A rather high price-point that has limited uses against either opposing faction, but packs a strong(er) punch against other US forces. At least it it dual-purpose, although decidedly in the support role, regardless.

Fire Base
ARMOR: Base Defence
COST: 1000
POWER USAGE: 0
PURPOSE: Multi-Purpose Base Defence

Packing a 155mm cannon, this small firing base can deliver a tremendous amount of ordnance a long way. If inbound hostiles manage to avoid the barrage, they may be weak enough to be dispatched by the four infantrymen that can be garrisoned inside.

Author's Note: Literally no reason not to build these and supplement with Patriot Missile Defence systems. Throw in some rocket troopers, a pathfinder or two, and you have a hell of a strong defensive structure.

Countermeasures
FACTION: USA
PREREQUISITE: Air Field
PURPOSE: Ability to drop decoy flares to divert incoming guided ordnance.

To protect its considerable investment in airborne weapons systems, the USA has developed effective countermeasures to heat- and radar-seeking projectiles. All USA aircraft can upgrade to Countermeasures.

Author's Note: Worthwhile to have if you choose a heavy-air focus. Not a guarantee to protect against missiles, but better than nothing at all!

Bunker Busters
PURPOSE: Adds ability to kill garrisoned units, and evacuates those hiding in Tunnel Networks.

Six feet of re-enforced concrete buried twenty feet below ground cannot withstand a well-placed Bunker Buster. When it detonates, the explosive upgrade kills garrisoned infantry or forces them to exit the building or Tunnel Network.

Author's Note: It's alright if you go Stealth Fighters, but I rarely do, so this typically gets purchased in error or to spend cash.

Mother Of All Bombs
COST: 4000
PREREQUISITE: Generals Rank 5 + Strategy Center
PURPOSE: Changes the Fuel Air Bomb to the MOAB

An upgrade for a Fuel Air Bomb, the Massive Ordnance Air Burst is a big bomb designed for low-altitude detonation. The nine tons of explosive on-board can topple tanks several hundred yards from ground zero.

Author's Note: Effectively makes the FAB deadlier and larger, while changing the delivery system from the B-52 to the B-3.

Chemical Suits
PREREQUISITE: Strategy Center
PURPOSE: Reduced vulnerability to toxins and nuclear radiation.

In the face of likely Toxin attacks, USA infantry and other personnel should be equipped with the Chemical Suits upgrade. While a Chemical Suit is not impervious to Toxins, it can withstand them until the wearer can clear the area. It is effective against radiological and microwave attacks as well.

Author's Note: Not sure I'd ever make enough infantry to justify this upgrade, but it's not bad.

Supply Lines
COST: 800
PURPOSE: Increases money earned from Supply Center, Oil Derricks, and Supply Drop Zones by 10%

A modern army can be stopped in its tracks if supply lines are hindered or cut. Adding the Supply Lines upgrade increases the productivity of Chinooks, which keeps the units rolling forward.

Author's Note: Literally not reason not to get this upgrade immediately, every time.

Leaflet Drop
COST: 1 General Point
PREREQUISITE: Rank 5
PURPOSE: Ability to call in a Leaflet Drop

The sharpest blow strikes an enemy’s will to fight. A Leaflet Drop in an enemy’s camp saps morale and reduces the will of his units to resist. Affected units become temporarily immobile.

Author's Note: Probably the most useless General Power in the game.

Spectre Gunship
PURPOSE: Ability to call in a Reaper Gunship

The Spectre Gunship can lay waste to anything that has the misfortune of being in its sights. This slow flying platform flies in a tight circle, dispensing 50-caliber shells from the multiple machine guns mounted down its sides. It is equipped with a manual override for targeting during flight.

Author's Note: While the Spectre Gunship is more vulnerable than other powers, I can't help but enjoy its aesthetics and firepower.

Aftermath:

With another victory under our belts, the US can rest assured that the GLA threat is no more, and peaceful operations can begin anew across the globe.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sentry Drone
RANGE: Short
ARMOR: Humvee
WEAPON: 20mm Machine Gun

This stealthed vehicle provides a forward-looking eye that doesn’t need much coordination or supervision.

Author's Note: 800 credits for a stealthed detector is nice if you don't want to spend a general point on the UAV.

Hellfire Drone
ARMOR: Tank
COST: 500
PREREQUISITE: Vehicle
PURPOSE: Attacks nearby enemy units.

Usable by any USA vehicle, it is a drone that fires Hellfire missiles.

Author's Note: More combat capable than the Battle Drone, it lacks the ability to repair its parent vehicle.

Microwave Tank
RANGE: Short-Medium
WEAPON: Microwave Generator

The Microwave Tank can disable the electronics in structures via microwave frequencies. Defensively, a microwave field harms infantry.

Author's Note: Although I don't recall using them much, they fill the void of an anti-infantry vehicle in the US arsenal.

Avenger
ARMOR: Anti-Air Vehicle
WEAPON: Anti-Air Lasers + Targeting Laser
COST: 2000

A mobile platform, the Avenger can paint airborne and ground targets with its Point Defense Laser. When targets are painted, other units in the vicinity can fire faster and with better success at them. The Avenger can also down enemy aircraft.

Author's Note: A rather high price-point that has limited uses against either opposing faction, but packs a strong(er) punch against other US forces. At least it it dual-purpose, although decidedly in the support role, regardless.

Fire Base
ARMOR: Base Defence
PURPOSE: Multi-Purpose Base Defence

Packing a 155mm cannon, this small firing base can deliver a tremendous amount of ordnance a long way. If inbound hostiles manage to avoid the barrage, they may be weak enough to be dispatched by the four infantrymen that can be garrisoned inside.

Author's Note: Literally no reason not to build these and supplement with Patriot Missile Defence systems. Throw in some rocket troopers, a pathfinder or two, and you have a hell of a strong defensive structure.

Sentry Drone Gun
PREREQUISITE: War Factory
PURPOSE: Provides the Sentry Drone with a 20mm Machine Gun

This upgrade gives the Sentry Drone a machine gun.

Author's Note: Honestly, I can't see why you would want to skip on this. It can turn a mobile vision device into a hacker harasser or anti-rebel ambush device.

Countermeasures
PURPOSE: Ability to drop decoy flares to divert incoming guided ordnance.

To protect its considerable investment in airborne weapons systems, the USA has developed effective countermeasures to heat- and radar-seeking projectiles. All USA aircraft can upgrade to Countermeasures.

Author's Note: Worthwhile to have if you choose a heavy-air focus. Not a guarantee to protect against missiles, but better than nothing at all!

Bunker Busters
PURPOSE: Adds ability to kill garrisoned units, and evacuates those hiding in Tunnel Networks.

Six feet of re-enforced concrete buried twenty feet below ground cannot withstand a well-placed Bunker Buster. When it detonates, the explosive upgrade kills garrisoned infantry or forces them to exit the building or Tunnel Network.

Author's Note: It's alright if you go Stealth Fighters, but I rarely do, so this typically gets purchased in error or to spend cash.

Mother Of All Bombs
COST: 4000
PREREQUISITE: Generals Rank 5 + Strategy Center
PURPOSE: Changes the Fuel Air Bomb to the MOAB

An upgrade for a Fuel Air Bomb, the Massive Ordnance Air Burst is a big bomb designed for low-altitude detonation. The nine tons of explosive on-board can topple tanks several hundred yards from ground zero.

Author's Note: Effectively makes the FAB deadlier and larger, while changing the delivery system from the B-52 to the B-3.

Chemical Suits
PURPOSE: Reduced vulnerability to toxins and nuclear radiation.

In the face of likely Toxin attacks, USA infantry and other personnel should be equipped with the Chemical Suits upgrade. While a Chemical Suit is not impervious to Toxins, it can withstand them until the wearer can clear the area. It is effective against radiological and microwave attacks as well.

Author's Note: Not sure I'd ever make enough infantry to justify this upgrade, but it's not bad.

Supply Lines
PURPOSE: Increases money earned from Supply Center, Oil Derricks, and Supply Drop Zones by 10%

A modern army can be stopped in its tracks if supply lines are hindered or cut. Adding the Supply Lines upgrade increases the productivity of Chinooks, which keeps the units rolling forward.

Author's Note: Literally not reason not to get this upgrade immediately, every time.

Leaflet Drop
PURPOSE: Ability to call in a Leaflet Drop

The sharpest blow strikes an enemy’s will to fight. A Leaflet Drop in an enemy’s camp saps morale and reduces the will of his units to resist. Affected units become temporarily immobile.

Author's Note: Probably the most useless General Power in the game.

Spectre Gunship
PURPOSE: Ability to call in a Reaper Gunship

The Spectre Gunship can lay waste to anything that has the misfortune of being in its sights. This slow flying platform flies in a tight circle, dispensing 50-caliber shells from the multiple machine guns mounted down its sides. It is equipped with a manual override for targeting during flight.

Author's Note: While the Spectre Gunship is more vulnerable than other powers, I can't help but enjoy its aesthetics and firepower.

Combat Cycle
ARMOR: Truck
WEAPON: Variable

Manned by infantry personnel, the Combat Cycle is a low-cost, highly mobile fighting unit. Excellent for reconnaissance operations, the Combat Cycle acquires the abilities of any GLA infantry unit that drives it.

Author's Note: Probably the most interesting unit since the IFV, it allows the user to mix and match combat cycle with infantry, given them much greater speed.

Fake Buildings
ARMOR: Structure [CC = Tough]
COST: 125-625
PURPOSE: Deception

Effective diversionary instruments, Fake Structures can force the enemy to change tactics or waste resources. However, Fake Structures can be upgraded to real structures, changing the battlefield circumstances once again.

Author's Note: Love the fact that you can turn them into real structures, forcing opponents to mind their presence at all times. No real use against the AI, though.

Saboteur
RANGE: Short
ARMOR: Human
WEAPON: N/A

This infantry unit receives special training in stealth and sabotage. Capable of climbing cliffs, the Saboteur can infiltrate enemy bases, sneak into buildings, and power them down. If a Saboteur enters an enemy Command Center, all Generals Powers are reset.

Author's Note: 800 credits is a high price to pay for an infiltration unit. I don't think I've ever built one.

Battle Bus
RANGE: N/A
ARMOR: Battle Bus Truck/Structure

A re-enforced civilian bus, the Battle Bus can carry infantry units to the front line. Transported units can fire weapons from the windows of the Battle Bus. When immobilized, the Battle Bus becomes bunkered cover for the remaining troops.

Author's Note: I get why people use it, but I've never done so.

GPS Scrambler
FACTION: GLA
PURPOSE: Permanently Stealths units within an area.

GPS Scrambler accesses the Global Positioning System frequencies and scrambles satellite transmissions across a wide area. When deployed, GPS Scrambler hides units under a camouflage cloak.

Author's Note: More powerful than I remember it all those years ago, it is a great way to hide, or strike, with a variety of units.

Sneak Attack
PURPOSE: Deployable Tunnel Network

Using the Sneak Attack, the GLA can place a tunnel exit anywhere on the map, allowing personnel to strike an enemy’s base from within the base itself. Attacking units should be positioned in a previously built Sneak Attack or Network tunnel before deployment.

Author's Note: My biggest issue with this power is that it is slow to deploy, and the game deselecting it making it harder to use effectively.

Camo Nettings
PREREQUISITE: Palace
PURPOSE: Provides Stealth for the building.

Applying Camo Netting to Stinger Sites and Tunnel Networks wraps them in camouflage protection.

Author's Note: Note that the cost is per building. Incredibly useful for the Stinger Sites, at the very least, and should never be skipped.

Booby Traps
PREREQUISITE: Barracks
PURPOSE: Places booby traps on a neutral building or unit.

The Booby Trap upgrade allows Rebel units to place invisible explosive charges on any structures or buildings. Enemy combatants that attempt to commandeer them detonate the charges.

Author's Note: I never really use these, ever. We've seen how effective they can be, but I see it more as a vs-Player campaign thing.

Fortified Structure
PREREQUISITE: Palace
PURPOSE: Increases building defenses.

The Fortified Structure upgrades the external armor of GLA structures.

Author's Note: No reason not to get this, the only buildings not affected are defensive structures and the Scud Storm.

Listening Outpost

China has developed advanced surveillance technologies that can be deployed in low-cost units for the front line. The Listening Outpost can detect the movements of units across a wide radius, including stealthed units, and is fortified with Tank
Hunter units.

Author's Note: Far too slow and fragile to use offensively, but its stealth and carried infantry can make it an interesting static scout or defense system.

Helix Helicopter
ARMOR: Chinook
WEAPON: Machine Gun, Gattling Cannon, Napalm Bombs
COST: 1500

This large helicopter can transport infantry and some vehicles across any terrain. A flexible platform, the Helix can be upgraded with the Propaganda Tower, Gattling Gun, or Bunker. Napalm Bombs can also be added for additional firepower.

Author's Note: The Overlord of the skies, literally. As with the Overlord, it is paired with a great voice actor.

Carpet Bomb
FACTION: China
PREREQUISITE: Generals Rank 4
PURPOSE: Calls in a Carpet Bomb strike.

A high altitude aerial bombardment can rattle the cage of the enemy and wipe out columns well before they arrive. The Carpet Bomber can release volleys on enemy installations.

Author's Note: As per other weapons of devastation as a general ability, its hard to argue against getting this. They act the same way as previously seen in the base game.

Neutron Shells
FACTION: China
COST: 2500
PREREQUISITE: Nuclear Missile Silo
PURPOSE: Anti-personnel munitions designed to kill infantry and vacate manned vehicles.

Long rumored to be in the Chinese arsenal, the Neutron Shell destroys enemy personnel, leaving structures and units untouched. Neutron Shells are launched from the Nuke Cannon.

Author's Note: At a whopping 2000 credits, its a little pricey, but if fire-based weapons are your thing, you should not skip this one!

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 9, 2021

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
So there's a lot to talk about with the USA's expanded arsenal in this game.

First, the Avenger. It's *kinda* wasted on GLA because they don't have any standard aircraft, but they do the force protection role very quickly. Its lasers can absolutely shred aircraft, point defense protects the army (it has two lasers rather than the Paladin's one), and the targeting thing also helps in support. And the best part, the Avenger can do all of these things at the same time. It's pricey, but very much worth it if your enemy is using a lot of missile-based attacks on your armies. In fact, one of the only counters to Rockvees + Ambulance is MiG strikes, and Avengers more than counter everything MiGs can do if you have 2-3 of them protecting your Vees. The only problem is I think the Avenger and Tomahawk are tied for slowest USA unit, but you have to have a trade-off somewhere.

The Fire Base is a *huge* improvement over the Patriot. The shell actually does pretty good damage to infantry, though it does have the weakness that it can't fire if something gets too close to it. The shell automatically tracks armored vehicles and does really good damage against them. Especially since it doesn't use power, these are much more common in online games than Patriots.

As for the upgrades, all of the USA's are pretty great. The description for Countermeasures is a little misleading, because in addition to providing the countermeasure flares, it also increases the HP of all of the US's standard aircraft. For 1000 bucks, a very valuable upgrade if you're regularly using aircraft, particularly Comanches. MOAB is really expensive but it improves both the speed of the delivery aircraft but it also has a larger / more immediate blast radius. Plus, enemies that get hit with a MOAB go *flying*. It's great. Bunker Busters, are of course, only valuable if you're using Stealth Aircraft but they can destroy the units inside both garrisoned buildings and GLA Tunnels, but only if your enemy doesn't catch on first to pull the units out, wait for the Bunker Busters to wear off, then go back in. Fun upgrade, regardless.

Supply Lines are, of course, mandatory and increases all of USA's income-gathering methods, including Oil Derricks. I don't think it applies to captured GLA or Chinese tech, though. Chem Suits are niche but for 500 bucks, you can hardly go wrong.

As for the Generals Powers, Leaflet Drop is basically a slightly worse EMP Bomb (just because the blast radius is smaller, though there's no risk of shutting down your own dudes, unlike EMPs), but being able to shut down enemy armies if they're too clumped together is always really valuable, especially since you can potentially follow-up with an A-10 or MOAB strike to completely wipe them out. Also, it works against every enemy unit, including aircraft.The Spectre Gunship is actually super tanky, so you can call it in to really draw enemy anti-aircraft fire on it while the air units you actually bought with money swoop in to destroy them. This trick will only really work against the AI, since a competent human will just re-target your air units rather than the Spectre, since, as mentioned, it has a lot of armor. To use it, you can call it into an area and it'll fire cannons / machine guns at a specific area, but only that specific area and you can choose what it shoots at it by just selecting it and point it at whatever you want within that circle.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 11, 2021

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

So it wasn't shown off this time, but the Bunker Buster upgrade was what would kill my game back in the day. It would happen even if I wasn't looking directly at it, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't play against the US AI because of this.

I also didn't know the gunship would fire at things on its own, I always used the manual targeting. :(

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Are you gonna look at the Generals-specific units and upgrades at all?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

- leaflet drop demoralizes vehicles, too, not just infantry. it still sucks, but has some niche uses (like USA X04, locking down a deathball of GLA before pushing in on their base). almost never worth getting though

- spectre gunship is a lot better if you manually target it

- friendly GLA base comes with rebel ambush, which iirc doesn't trigger the countdown if you just teleport dude next to the missile silos :v:

e:

Mordja posted:

i'm assuming that'll come with the Generals Challenge mode, after the campaign is done

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I have seen Leaflet Drop used in competitive play, oddly enough. Freezing an enemy army in place long enough for other powers to hit or aircraft to arrive has a lot of uses. Especially as humans tend to stick to the lighter, faster units like Rockvees, Technicals, and Gatling/Dragon Tanks that can outrun attackers.

The real problem with it is that it's so high on the tech tree. It would be a solid low-point power, although then it would compete with the US's many other excellent low-point early options.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

THE BAR posted:

I also didn't know the gunship would fire at things on its own, I always used the manual targeting. :(

The gunship will just fire at the center of the big circle and keep doing so until you manually retarget it anywhere else inside the circle. It doesn't actually track targets on its own. The artillery shells have some scatter and do area-of-effect damage, so it still can damage things outside the small targetting circle anyway.

Magni fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 11, 2021

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Magni posted:

The gunship will just fire at the center of the big circle and keep doing so until you manually retarget it anywhere else inside the circle. It doesn't actually track targets on its own.

Ah, then I misheard OP.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think you mentioned this in the Mission 4 video, but one of the major reasons the mission is so hard is because the airfield and all your air units are locked off. Air power is the main way the Americans can project power or defend areas, and without it you have to do everything the hard way with your ground units. The other two factions can make up for minimal or no air power with artillery, but all the US has in that department is the Tomahawk Launcher, whose missile doesn't leave much splash damage compared to all the other artillery units in the game. It also doesn't help that the US base defenses are more expensive than those of the other factions, and the secondary income streams for the US aren't as good as either hackers or cash bounties/Black Markets.

Also, the opening dialogue for Mission 5 always threw me off, since I always thought they were saying you had to use ground forces to assault Thrax's main base. As it turns out, you can blitz it with air strikes just like everything else no problem.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Mission intro posted:

General, due to the civilian presence...

Jobbo, carpetbombing the map with SCUD Storms posted:

Eh, they deserve it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mordja posted:

We... we haven't even finished the campaign yet. I don't even know what generals there are.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This "Mission accomplished!" scene might have felt like an actual victory if there wasn't presumably a Zero Hour GLA campaign still to go. :v:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Wow I can't believe the US just defeated terrorism forever

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fangz posted:

Wow I can't believe the US just defeated terrorism forever

Again!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I can't believe the us will just leave the middle east

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I can't believe the US managed to avoid budget bloat increasing equipment prices 20x through the campaign despite decreased quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

We... we haven't even finished the campaign yet. I don't even know what generals there are.

Which points out something I don't really like about the campaign. I feel like there's some big feature of zero hour that was darn near absent during the us campaign.